Jump to content

Plains of Eidolon: Facts & Fundamentals of Focus 2.0


Recommended Posts

Huh, interesting to read, but terrifying to look at the comments in the aftermath. Perhaps I've been so spoiled all this time energywise thanks to being a "defensive limbo" user that I don't feel the same issues others are having? That, and, I used Naramon's insanity-causer as a panic button to escape from big enemy clumps, rather then for stealthed murder or energy restoration.

Edited by Unus
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gene_Freak said:

Conceptually, having a system that takes advantage of bouncing between your frame and operator isn't a bad idea. The biggest problem there is that playing as the operator is a genuinely miserable experience. If the operator's gameplay was its own completely unrelated game I would still think it was awkward and clumsy, but having the fluid, relentless frame gameplay to contrast it with makes it feel so much worse. The operator needs to have mobility that can rival a frame - maybe not the exact same slides and jumps, but something that can allow an operator to move rapidly and freely. Ghostly flying? Tribes-y jetting and skiing? Something more practical than trying to spam void dash, at least.

One worrying thing about the changes, Zen in particular, is this theme of slowing or stopping the action in order to set up something with your operator. Having the Zen energy field move with you is one good example repeatedly given so far of how that in particular could be improved, but still, the examples given seem to be situations where the solution of "dive away while firing a gun" would be both faster and more effective. And this is, after all, a game where "faster and more effective" is practically the subtitle :)

I feel like Parkour 2.0 is the best example of a Warframe update that nailed it. DE took a clunky, unintuitive system and made it one of the strongest points of the game. I believe they can do the same thing here, and I really hope they can turn playing with the operator into something fun and unique! :D

 

Other smaller points:

-Energy regeneration should probably be looked at, in general. The Zen passive was a band-aid, and with that torn off I'd like to see a greater variety of ways for frames to regenerate - maybe different regen conditions for different frames?

-I love the idea that's been brought up here of your frame working like a specter when you're in operator mode! It would certainly give that mode more oomph :)

THIS!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Naramon:

We will go over an example of a new Naramon combat scenario:

Your Banshee is under heavy Corpus fire - a barrage of Supra projectiles are coming toward you. As a Naramon Tenno, you engage Transference and enter Operator Mode and Void Blast an enemy with a Disarming Blast. Your beam has a high chance to disarm all enemies unlucky enough to be caught in its path! You return to your Warframe and make quick work of the now weaponless enemies.

Next, take a look at what we're calling the 'Residual' nodes of Focus 2.0:

  • Residual Starting Node: Affinity Spike. A Residual effect that grants you more affinity on Melee Kills. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Melee Damage: A Residual effect that grants you up to 50% more damage on Melee Kills. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

Madurai:

We will go over an example of a new Madurai combat scenario:

Loki—alone in the Plains—is doing as he pleases. He decides to play a bit of a trick on some Grineer Tusk units he detects nearby. By slipping into Transference his operator cloaks himself ; each second spent cloaked significantly increases the damage of the next attack. After enough sneaking, the Operator fires and the Grineer are no more.

Next, take a look at what we're calling the 'Residual' nodes of Focus 2.0:

  • Residual Starting Node: Phoenix Talons. A Residual effect that grants you an increased Physical Damage. Once you activate the Operator for the first time(i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Phoenix Spirit: A Residual effect that grants you increased Elemental Damage. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

So... Naramon - the path of "Knowing the Enemy", which is characterized by pragmatic, tactical engagement and finding enemy weaknesses - gains buffs to melee attacks and a beam that disarms enemies in open combat (and according to the devstreams, likely at the cost of Shadow Step).

Meanwhile Madurai - "the path of Engage the Enemy", which is described as "swift, uncompromising onslaught" and "recklessly attacking", "vanquishing foes before they had a chance to steel themselves" - charges a buff by approaching stealthily and waiting for attack opportunities, and is the tree preferred by the trickster.

Isn't that a bit... backwards?

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Unairu:

We will go over an example of a new Unairu combat scenario:

Your Atlas is rocking out on a mobile defense mission, when suddenly you a nasty Nox comes your way! Switching to your Operator, you Void Dash through the enemy, sundering some of his armor and crippling his damage output. You remain in Void Mode near your teammates to grant them invisibility as they deal with the enemy from the safety of the shadows.

Next, take a look at what we're calling the 'Residual' nodes of Focus 2.0:

  • Residual Starting Node: Mirror Flare. A Residual effect that Reflects damage back at attackers. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Armor Buff: A Residual effect that grants an Armor increase for Warframes and Operators. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

I think either I'm confused, or whoever designed this tree was. Wouldn't going into stealth counteract the mirror effect and invalidate the armor bonus?

I mean, I could understand the stealth buff going to Vazarin since it gives allies time to recover, and Unairu getting the temporary invulnerability since it allows the person with damage reflection to run into the fray and draw fire. (In fact, I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard of Unairu getting a Taunt effect.)

Right now though, it just seems like an odd overlap between Vazarin and Unairu. Is Unairu supposed to be the tanky tree or not?

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Zenurik:

Firstly - 'What about Energy Overflow'? On the public build Energy Overflow worked passively for a single player, and we are experimenting with an active, more powerful party-wide buff. Focus 2.0 currently has a placeable party-wide energy buff in Zenurik that stacks with other Zenurik users - think of it like an area-of-effect energy restore consumable that Void Dashing can create. We will follow up in the Update notes about other areas of Energy gain.

We will go over an example of a new Zenurik combat scenario:

Your Mesa is going to work, protecting your defense point from hordes of Grineer. Suddenly, your Frame runs out of energy! With no Energy Restores equipped you quickly switch to your Operator and Void Dash onto your objective.This creates a bubble where you land in which you and your teammates can charge up quickly to 'Make some Peace'.

Next, take a look at what we're calling the 'Residual' nodes of Focus 2.0:

  • Residual Starting Node: Energy Pulse. A Residual effect that grants you a radial energy pickup effect for teammates. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Channeling Efficiency: A Residual effect that grants you up to 50% more Channeling Efficiency on Melee. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

While I sympathize with the people complaining that Energy Pulse is just a free Energy Restore rather than the constant regen that Energy Overflow was, and I completely agree with them that making the pickup completely stationary would be a terrible design choice in a game about fluid mobility... I should point out that Zenurik isn't completely lost, if the tree ends up focusing on other aspects of ability casting beyond just energy economy (ie Power Strength/Range/Duration buffs).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gene_Freak said:

Conceptually, having a system that takes advantage of bouncing between your frame and operator isn't a bad idea. The biggest problem there is that playing as the operator is a genuinely miserable experience. If the operator's gameplay was its own completely unrelated game I would still think it was awkward and clumsy, but having the fluid, relentless frame gameplay to contrast it with makes it feel so much worse. The operator needs to have mobility that can rival a frame - maybe not the exact same slides and jumps, but something that can allow an operator to move rapidly and freely. Ghostly flying? Tribes-y jetting and skiing? Something more practical than trying to spam void dash, at least.

One worrying thing about the changes, Zen in particular, is this theme of slowing or stopping the action in order to set up something with your operator. Having the Zen energy field move with you is one good example repeatedly given so far of how that in particular could be improved, but still, the examples given seem to be situations where the solution of "dive away while firing a gun" would be both faster and more effective. And this is, after all, a game where "faster and more effective" is practically the subtitle :)

I feel like Parkour 2.0 is the best example of a Warframe update that nailed it. DE took a clunky, unintuitive system and made it one of the strongest points of the game. I believe they can do the same thing here, and I really hope they can turn playing with the operator into something fun and unique! :D

 

Other smaller points:

-Energy regeneration should probably be looked at, in general. The Zen passive was a band-aid, and with that torn off I'd like to see a greater variety of ways for frames to regenerate - maybe different regen conditions for different frames?

-I love the idea that's been brought up here of your frame working like a specter when you're in operator mode! It would certainly give that mode more oomph :)

OH! I think you might be onto something with that first bit. . . I wonder if we could give our Operators a more primitive and clunky exoskeleton of sorts, still easy to break, but, just effective enough to augment the Operator's physique for some more fluid movement?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gene_Freak said:

The operator needs to have mobility that can rival a frame - maybe not the exact same slides and jumps, but something that can allow an operator to move rapidly and freely. Ghostly flying? Tribes-y jetting and skiing? Something more practical than trying to spam void dash, at least.

you know what could be fun? if you could press , say, 1 (as we currently have nothing in that spot while in operator mode, might change with PoE) andthe operator could use something like the scrambus's hoverskates. it'd offer a type of mobility that frames dont have, maybe it could ignore ground attacks (like the tar from tar moas) and go over water, but not over open space( cus its hovering, not flying, so you'd remain maybe a foot or so off the ground while using them).

tho it would require a fair amount of work, but if they could maybe work on it after PoE drops, itd be pretty cool imo

Edited by NightBlitz
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm utterly confused by DE's decision-making. People don't like having to play operators. Let's make them play operators more!

Guys... The whole operator idea was a huge mistake. The best thing you can do is get rid of it entirely. You used a story quest to give us the operator, you can use a story quest to take it  away again. The ship gets attacked, the operator is mortally wounded, and the only option is to permanently transfer their consciousness into a warframe (using Orokin Continuity or whatever Rell did to lock himself inside Harrow), leaving their dead physical body behind. Boom, no more operator, and you can get back to working on the things we actually play this game for.

9 minutes ago, Gene_Freak said:

Conceptually, having a system that takes advantage of bouncing between your frame and operator isn't a bad idea. The biggest problem there is that playing as the operator is a genuinely miserable experience. If the operator's gameplay was its own completely unrelated game I would still think it was awkward and clumsy, but having the fluid, relentless frame gameplay to contrast it with makes it feel so much worse. The operator needs to have mobility that can rival a frame - maybe not the exact same slides and jumps, but something that can allow an operator to move rapidly and freely. Ghostly flying? Tribes-y jetting and skiing? Something more practical than trying to spam void dash, at least.

But then what's the point? The problem with the operator is that it's squishy, weak, and slow. The obvious solution is to make it tough, powerful, and fast, which is what DE seems to be going for. The reason this obvious solution is wrong is that we already have characters that are tough, powerful, and fast. They're called warframes. No matter what they do, playing one will keep you from playing the other, and as a result will be a detriment to the game.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear, god I am starting to enter full cynical mode. I feel really sorry towards the person that has written the main OP - be it @[DE]Rebecca or anyone else, because... I like Warframe, and Iike the Warframe team, but this which was written is something that happens only if you have low awareness about how WF works to begin with. 

 

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Your Banshee is under heavy Corpus fire - a barrage of Supra projectiles are coming toward you. As a Naramon Tenno, you engage Transference and enter Operator Mode and Void Blast an enemy with a Disarming Blast. Your beam has a high chance to disarm all enemies unlucky enough to be caught in its path! You return to your Warframe and make quick work of the now weaponless enemies.

First of all, if you get surrounded from *everywhere* it is your own bloody fault. This means you have 0 map awareness, and the foresight of a Kubrow - the point, when fighting against any faction is *not to get surrounded* from the very start. 
Second, versus corpus that tactic will be as useful as a chocolate hammer - When was the last time the person that wrote this played against Corpus units post level 20 - You can't use focus in nulifier shield, you can't disarm Fusion Moas, Bursas and Ofspreys - and even if you blind/disorient them, they will still smash you down with the the AoE capabilities they have.  You know, I totally want to go in Operator mode again't bloody Bursas.
Or versus Grineer bombards, Nox and Heyka masters.
Or versus the Infested status extravaganza.

Do you... even realize how many things have you given to the enemies in order to prevent us (the players/Warframes/Tenno) from turning enemy units into road kill (and then you gave us rivens, but mkay another topic for another day).

 

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Your Mesa is going to work, protecting your defense point from hordes of Grineer. Suddenly, your Frame runs out of energy! With no Energy Restores equipped you quickly switch to your Operator and Void Dash onto your objective.This creates a bubble where you land in which you and your teammates can charge up quickly to 'Make some Peace'.

 


Same as the previous one - what the hell are you doing to even get in that situation? If you are with a heavy energy hungry build, you would be more than aware when you are overextending and that even current Zenurik can't save you from the good old ability spam.
So in this "oopsie" situation that will be totally your fault you will drop energy for... Mesa? You mean one of the frames that are in the "toogle ability" family and can not use mos energy restores while in Peace maker? Cool. 
You also totally want to go in your Operator mode on top of the deff objective, so every enemy that already has aggro on the objective will hit you, without even aiming at you.
(also again the point versus infested)

 

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Your Atlas is rocking out on a mobile defense mission, when suddenly you a nasty Nox comes your way! Switching to your Operator, you Void Dash through the enemy, sundering some of his armor and crippling his damage output. You remain in Void Mode near your teammates to grant them invisibility as they deal with the enemy from the safety of the shadows.

 



While we are joking about Rhino being a ballerina (due to his movement speed), saying that you will play a "face to face" frame and you will... not play at all in order to be a support for your team. Sure. (hope that an AoE does not hit you, Operators are not immune to CC. Yet).

 

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Loki—alone in the Plains—is doing as he pleases. He decides to play a bit of a trick on some Grineer Tusk units he detects nearby. By slipping into Transference his operator cloaks himself ; each second spent cloaked significantly increases the damage of the next attack. After enough sneaking, the Operator fires and the Grineer are no more.

 



This will be rather rude.
Have you ever played Loki? Not to mention the exact sub type of "melee yolo swag Invis Loki"? Are we on the same page about what kind of Warframe and play style you are trying to fit in?

 

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Your Rhino is strong, and together with the Saryn in your squad you're pummeling droves of enemies in a Survival mission. Time marches forth and so it goes, your body count climbing higher and higher. As you check out your HUD you see Saryn is taking heavy damage. With impeccable agility, you begin Transference and Void Dash through her to grant complete immunity to damage for a limited time. When you return to your Rhino, you Stomp, and the killing continues. So it goes.

As a lot of people mentioned, this won't happen like that.

"My strong Rhino" will just play *charge trough the enemies while waving War and yelling profanities", in  full Iron Skin, and so on.
Because he is Rhino - the frame for people that are more than willing to run trough spy missions, ignoring any lasers and traps while listening to the desperate team cries and classical music.

This situation also falls under "Yeah I am totally going to try operator Dash in a long survival, while Bombards, Nulifiers and god knows what else is taking shots at me". Because this is how you designed the enemies.

Guys...Steve and the development team. The QA team, the Community communication team. Are you sure, we are playing the same game while pursuing the same goals? Or all that "stream" worthy moments have gotten the best of you?
We love Warframe, we love the team and idea behind it. We are inspired and hyped from what you guys do. But please... this is so... not the game that you have been making the last 4 years.
 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

Guys... The whole operator idea was a huge mistake. The best thing you can do is get rid of it entirely. You used a story quest to give us the operator, you can use a story quest to take it  away again. The ship gets attacked, the operator is mortally wounded, and the only option is to permanently transfer their consciousness into a warframe (using Orokin Continuity or whatever Rell did to lock himself inside Harrow), leaving their dead physical body behind. Boom, no more operator, and you can get back to working on the things we actually play this game for.

As much as I hate operator gameplay and would love this to be a thing, it will never ever happen (not even as optional choice) because of how much game content was built upon existance of operators.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never liked to play with the operator, it was a requirement to get kuva, now in order te get buffs and passives we are forced to use them, dont get me wrong, i like change and i like the idea of ballance but... the hole operator-focus buff is kind of risky. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gene_Freak said:

The operator needs to have mobility that can rival a frame - maybe not the exact same slides and jumps, but something that can allow an operator to move rapidly and freely. Ghostly flying? Tribes-y jetting and skiing? Something more practical than trying to spam void dash, at least.

I just had the image of a Kingdom Hearts-esque Wisdom Form style movement, where the Operator surfs around frictionlessly on void energy while Sprinting or Sliding, and gets a small forward dash (purely to add momentum, not a full Void Dash) when you tap Roll, possibly even getting slowly repelled away from the action while firing Void Beam.

Something that feels different from the Warframe, without being necessarily better or worse.

Edited by Archwizard
Link to post
Share on other sites

"They'll like Operators when Operators have sweet hats!"

No, Digital Extremes. We'll like Operators when they're fun to play.

"They'll like Operators when Operators give out cool buffs for Warframes!"

No, Digital Extremes. We'll like Operators when they're fun to play.

"They'll like Operators when Operators can pop out and do things like other Warframe powers (except weaker)!"

No, Digital Extremes. We'll like Operators when they're fun to play.

"They'll like Operators when they see Operators weakening huge, cool enemies!"

No, Digital Extremes. We'll like Operators when they're fun to play.

 

Guys. There is a remarkably consistent thread of feedback. Operators are not fun to play because they are slow, clunky, and annoying in their movements/controls. No amount of cosmetics, buff-granting, external powers, or invulnerability stripping will fix that one single core issue, and by now people have been telling you this for months.

 

 

Then comes this Focus rework, which reads like it was designed by someone who has seen Warframe being played, but who has not actually played it. I genuinely do not know where the disconnect is, I only know that there is one. I'm sorry.

Edited by BornWithTeeth
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I see the Naramon's nerf. All the other schools have invisibility now...

By the way, looks like you wanna force us to use Focus and Operator when the game is still called Warframe. Bad move. We love the game for the Warframes and their capacities and mobility, not for the sluggish teen speaking childishly.

Waiting for more informations to get a better idea of those changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

I'm utterly confused by DE's decision-making. People don't like having to play operators. Let's make them play operators more!

Guys... The whole operator idea was a huge mistake. The best thing you can do is get rid of it entirely. You used a story quest to give us the operator, you can use a story quest to take it  away again. The ship gets attacked, the operator is mortally wounded, and the only option is to permanently transfer their consciousness into a warframe (using Orokin Continuity or whatever Rell did to lock himself inside Harrow), leaving their dead physical body behind. Boom, no more operator, and you can get back to working on the things we actually play this game for.

But then what's the point? The problem with the operator is that it's squishy, weak, and slow. The obvious solution is to make it tough, powerful, and fast, which is what DE seems to be going for. The reason this obvious solution is wrong is that we already have characters that are tough, powerful, and fast. They're called warframes. No matter what they do, playing one will keep you from playing the other, and as a result will be a detriment to the game.

Ooooor to give us The Choice. Like, to make ultimate sacrifice quest where you choose to be "yourself" yet bounded with Warframe bc you can't w/o each other already or to finally bond gems into one body how Rell did. It would give clear and pretty interesting lore opportunity since it is canonically possible. Removing something entirely never helps bc there always are people who enjoy this, even partially.

I enjoyed ghost operator a lot since Second Dream showed us big bond and link between them, War Within continued it. I wouldn't want my girl to be removed but I would be completely fine if we'd have quest where we actually can BECOME Warframe and leave it as ultimate choice. But probably that's very bold decision and even if it will happens, it will take a lot of time and effort anyway. Plus DE will be forced to balance system for players who choosed "fuse" path. So pretty unlikely, even if it's amazing as concept.

But yeah, must admit, I don't want operators to replace warframes, it's a huge, messy, furious and screaming NO in distance. I stick with link between warframe and operator, it has a lot of reasons. I completely don't stick with idea where operator gets rid of warframe like old toy. That would be a groundbreaking fatality for me. I hope DE still listen our feedback and understand that we are not  those "angry players" constantly, we just have preferences. One of my preferences in Warframe was it's uniqueness bc you are not forced to play human like other games were. You had artficial race of beings some examples of those only remotely remind humans, they can be sentient, they can be wild, but they are different (not exoskeletons or costumes in the way, more like mini-evas, just more smart and with another relationship concept, that's still very rare since many devs seem to be afraid of it) and this whole concept was great. I understand why ppl don't like operators since they partially ruin that uniqueness concept but at least warframes are still main power and plot engine in game. I hope it will remain since it was main reason many of us were charmed by this game.

Sorry, my comment became more my personal rant tham answer, but whatever. 

Edited by ThousandLights
minor typos and additions
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't Vazarin, "Counter the Enemy", get the damage reflection and damage reducing void dash? You know, abilities that nullify the enemy's offensive abilities? Where's the bit that shows that "they maintained constant awareness in order to defend against all aggression"?

Shouldn't Naramon, "Know the Enemy", get the active that lets you watch from the shadows and deal extra damage for it? What does disarming the enemy and running into melee range have to do with the belief "that to truly understand a foe would confer the greatest advantage upon a warrior"?

Shouldn't Madurai, "Engage the Enemy", get the melee passives? Why does it get a stealth active? How does stealth show "their swift, uncompromising onslaught, holding nothing back and recklessly attacking their foes"?

Shouldn't Unairu, "Outlast the Enemy", get the team invincibility active? What does stealth and armor stripping have to do with allowing you to "withstand all aggression without retreat"?

Shouldn't Zenurik, "Dominate the Enemy", get the armor stripping void dash and disarming void beam? Why has Zenurik ever been about energy when the school is about "choking an opponent of all resources; that sheer strength could erase any resistance"?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the combat scenarios require you to use Transference. Under fire from a supra? Your first idea should not be use Transference and expose a 100hp Tenno to enemy fire. Hell no. Void dash into an objective? That's where the enemies are. Just because you're invincible while you do it, doesn't mean void dashing into your own warframe isn't a better idea.

 

You're just forcing us to use Transference. Please shift the focus (ha) back to the warframes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vaporoxgaming said:

Unless that energy regeneration is incredibly quick, speaking in terms of like 10/second, you're taking the whole reason Energy Overflow was used and tossing it out the window.  You're trying to force Operator Mode into normal gameplay in order to make Warframes more effective.  Isn't that why people don't play Saryn that often anymore?  Because her abilities are next to useless without being forced into combinations?  Don't make the energy economy any worse than you already have.

^ Aaaand disregard this guy's opinion.

To elaborate:
First off, I run a 45% efficiency Saryn build and almost never run out of energy. I almost always have the highest damage and kills in the squad while just pushing 1, so I don't know where you're finding these forced combos. I'm guessing you think Mag is also useless?

Second, the point of Zenurik is to enhance a frame's energy pool durability in extended missions. This rework changes the buff from self-targeted with a very limited team bonus to a fully team-oriented deployable that doesn't require that you stay in focus mode to give energy to teammates. It's a team-based game, so this evolution makes sense. To be fully honest, I figured DE was going to remove energy bonuses from focus entirely, since current zenurik's mentality is quite selfish and imbalanced (minus the few people who actually equipped energy spike and energy surge), but this compromise is really quite fair.

And if we want to discuss what really matters, does the new energy restore effect frames with active channeled abilities? Energy overflow didn't, but energy spike still restored energy to channelers. Having that info will really change how much the numbers matter, and having a duration for zenurik's deployable will also change how we can judge it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work DE, pushing the boundaries & trying new systems is always appreciated :)

Much to test out in real game-play, refinement over time, but the basics you have outlined seem positive & promising so far! :nerd:

'. . . . rebuilding entirely new ability paths. We are also including cross-Focus nodes you can unlock within different trees! . . .'  This sounds like the best-of-both-worlds approach, keeping useful features & widening their availability, excellent ! ! ! 

From the new Focus screen visuals I saw (tree structure, node options, customisable progression etc), while Reb was playing, we have much to explore & develop over time, i'm guessing the design is for long-term personalised structure, rather than a fixed predefined set of options, i like this very much, building strength & preference into our focus ideal, steadily, with clear choices and 'cross-over' possibilities as our investment of points grows to maximising all schools, to a point we have properly earned power & choice!

As a work-in-progress, focus 2.0 has great potential which i can't wait to experiment with, so i'm anticipating a great improvement over the current system ! Making all schools relevant is vital, so i will be reserving full judgement until i have had some time to play with the latest iteration, but thanks for all the hard work so far & not being complacent :highfive: Having played for 1,000's of hours, since the early open beta days, i am confident you will find a balance between your dreams & our satisfaction.

Bird Slayers get ready !  :heart:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah these all sound bland, more so than Focus 1. It all boils down to "cluckly jump out of your warframe and maybe dash into something for a bonus unrelated to the school's meaning"

I know I picked Unaru because I wanted to turn invisible; not for the medusa effect or the tankiness. Yeah there is an armor boost but wouldn't a Reinhardt energy shield be a more fitting active than an Ivara ability?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kharseth said:

Is it just me or do these abilities just sound... boring? I mean maybe people will come up with fun interactions between various Operator abilities, or between Operator and Warframe abilities. But stuff like disarming enemies or getting free bonus damage just sounds kind of boring to me. Boring stat increases like +dmg especially tho.

A lot of these abilities also seem to be "superfluous trick moves". By that I mean something like the melee ground slam: On paper a ridiculously overpowered move that can stun even heavy units, opens them up to Finishers and has no downtime. But in reality nobody uses it because optimizing for high damage builds without fancy trick moves is the faster option, and speed both matters for not falling behind during group play and for not feeling like an inefficient fool while Soloing. Basically, even around the endgame Warframe is so easy that it works to its own detriment because it makes "trick moves" superfluous. Even enemies like Wardens that are designed to be taken out by a certain "trick move" (Finishers in this case) eventually just become cannonfodder people breeze through like any other enemy.

By "trick moves" among the new Focus abilities I mean stuff like disarming enemies (instead of just shooting them) or debuffing Noxes (instead of just shooting them), but even the example of protecting Saryn counts (just use one of your billion revives or health pizzas or Mantis med towers or Regen Molt or Life Strike or...).

I also don't really know why TWW-style activating the Operator to reap bonuses is necessary, seems like a boring ritual to perform every time you start a mission. Maybe it's for pre-TWW-but-post-TSD people? But I imagine the amount of people in that group with enough Focus to unlock substantial Focus buffs is negligibly small.

All that said, good on DE for - by the looks of it - not caving to community demand and reimplementing free energy. When abilities get spammed thoughtlessly, the game becomes pretty boring pretty quickly IMO. I know some people love to feel like they're playing with cheats on, but man when they're on all the time I can't help but feel you're cheating yourself out of a lot of fun. Which can seep into squad plays or meta builds that inform how the Warframe community at large plays the game, especially newbies that get the wrong impression of how the game is meant to be played properly.

I don't see the nobilitiy in ignoring people's valid issues.

What's so easy about the game if many of the devices are inefficient and worthless btw? Things are SO easy....with that one meta build you happen to just use constantly, and unsurprisingly get bored by, because there is little variety scaling elsewhere. 

And why should a Warframe otherwise not be able to generate energy this way given how insufficient the energy economy is, to the point that certain frames are prone to being sitting ducks to be picked off without it. Just because you may play invincible Inaros with maiming strike atterax with macro spin attack spam,  does not mean thats fun for everyone(if even they have the likes of maiming strike to boot.) or that everyone wishes to just use that as opposed to all their other frames and other options. People tend to like variety and being able to have more than that specific meta frame with that specific meta build and that specific arcane set, be useful.

Warframe powers are the most distinct thing separating them from another Warframe. Are the Eximus, nullifiers, Scrambus, Bursas, broken sapping ospreys, crazy armor scaling and being outnumbered by hitscan enemies, not enough of a detriment? Are forced, meticulous procedures such as the steps for Kuva guard fighting, the road we honestly want to go down instead? Because this is just looking like an expansion of that, just beyond the Kuva guards, due to exaggerated visions of everyone even having maxed out Zenurik, with Arcane energize sets, spin to win macro and press 4 to win(ones of which are labeled as such, barely scale that well either.).

Edited by UrielColtan
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fluffysbeans said:

^ Aaaand disregard this guy's opinion.

To elaborate:
First off, I run a 45% efficiency Saryn build and almost never run out of energy. I almost always have the highest damage and kills in the squad while just pushing 1, so I don't know where you're finding these forced combos. I'm guessing you think Mag is also useless?

Second, the point of Zenurik is to enhance a frame's energy pool durability in extended missions. This rework changes the buff from self-targeted with a very limited team bonus to a fully team-oriented deployable that doesn't require that you stay in focus mode to give energy to teammates. It's a team-based game, so this evolution makes sense. To be fully honest, I figured DE was going to remove energy bonuses from focus entirely, since current zenurik's mentality is quite selfish and imbalanced (minus the few people who actually equipped energy spike and energy surge), but this compromise is really quite fair.

And if we want to discuss what really matters, does the new energy restore effect frames with active channeled abilities? Energy overflow didn't, but energy spike still restored energy to channelers. Having that info will really change how much the numbers matter, and having a duration for zenurik's deployable will also change how we can judge it.

I dont ryn efficiency or strength modifiers on my spore build and usually have the most kills and no energy issues. So ya, the previous saryn comment is dumb. I like the new changes, anf wrkin with channel abilities would be dope!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...