Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Facts & Fundamentals of Focus 2.0

[DE]Rebecca

24 minutes ago, RiouHotaru said:

They do require it for Kuva, but all you need is other people who have it and someone to taxi you and you're golden.

If you refuse to use the mechanic in the few specific situations it's intended for, the fault is entirely on you, not DE.

Pretty sure you're going to need to use the Operator, at least for a minute on the Eidolon, hence the Eidolon Hunter. I mean, Focus is great and all but it can only take you so far. (Engage Warrior mode!)

18 minutes ago, RiouHotaru said:

Assuming some sort of malice on DE's part (forcing people to use a mode they don't want to use) is ridiculous.

No one said malice.  Why would you think that?

But if you think DE doubling down on operator mode is nothing more than "Oh, it's going to stay optional except in a very situations" then you don't understand the real world.  Developing operator mode costs money.  Continually developing and maintaining it costs more money and tearing down focus (which cost money as well) in order to focus and expand even more on operator mode. 

DE isn't doing this "just because."

About Zenurik's new Channeling Efficiency Residual...

Unless melee channeling has greatly improved in damage bonus and special effects, I don't see this as a particularly useful Residual for a supposedly "Wizard" archetype. Melee bonuses sound more suitable to Madurai, Naramon, and Unairu, and even those might need a better incentive to use Melee Channeling; I would also like to bring up the fact that Melee Channeled Blocking absolutely destroys even the highest energy pool on any Warframe, in mere seconds, and no amount of Channeling Efficiency will help with that.

For something more in line with what Zenurik embodies, that is for players who enjoy casting abilities and restoring energy quickly, I think Ability Channeling Efficiency will work better (and feel more powerful as a Residual effect, comparable to the other Focus Schools). As in, this Residual would reduce the energy drain per second for any toggled abilities on Warframes, such as Defy for Wukong, Mend & Maim for Equinox, Exalted Blade for Excalibur to name a few, WHILE taking into account the Ability Efficiency and Ability Duration values.

This enables players who play channeled ability Warframes often to spec their builds with less Ability Efficiency and Ability Duration, and branch more into survivability, movement, Ability Strength, Ability Range, Augments, and other mods, without directly giving the player even more Ability Efficiency so they can just spam powers all day.

I mean, compare Melee Channeling Efficiency to Vazarin's instant revives for allies, Madurai's Physical and Elemental damage bonuses, Naramon's melee damage bonus, and we can clearly see this Zenurik Residual is lacking in power.

Just now, Troll_Logic said:

No one said malice.  Why would you think that?

But if you think DE doubling down on operator mode is nothing more than "Oh, it's going to stay optional except in a very situations" then you don't understand the real world.  Developing operator mode costs money.  Continually developing and maintaining it costs more money and tearing down focus (which cost money as well) in order to focus and expand even more on operator mode. 

DE isn't doing this "just because."

And so far in PoE that we can see, Operator mode is apparently necessary mostly for fighting Eidolons, which is but ONE aspect of the content.  So again, hardly necessary.  I do understand the real world.  You're assuming they're going to make it matter in a situation where it likely isn't going to matter.  PoE is designed with Operator Mode in mind, so of course there will be a myriad of mechanics which use it.  But for standard content?  No.

2 minutes ago, LightningsVengance said:

Pretty sure you're going to need to use the Operator, at least for a minute on the Eidolon, hence the Eidolon Hunter. I mean, Focus is great and all but it can only take you so far. (Engage Warrior mode!)

But fighting Eidolons isn't required for any form of progression, which is my point.  People are complaining about changes to a mode that was already criminally underused to begin with, and encouraged utterly lazy styles of play (of which I'm guilty of, Naramon stealth is absurd).  Now they're being altered to be more creative and useful across wider situations and contexts and suddenly it's bad.

Hi,

very nice ! I really look forward to play with this !

Quick questions and comments :

1 - first, I must say that new focus tree affecting physical operator abilities (and not just ghost operator) is great ! I really thought that was missing after TWW

Now that this is out of the way...

2 - It is not clear to me what happens to ghost operator with this new focus tree... "second dream activation" is still there apparently but what does it actually do ? Looking at the WIP naramon focus tree from prime time 183, Rebb scrolled over the  new default node "affinity spike", which is the residual... but where is the node for the ghost operator waves "mind spike" ?

3 - about the passives - now called residuals (if I understand that correctly) - why should they still be activated by operator action instead of just "being there" ?

A big part of focus 1.0 was being largely unexplored because you needed to wait for focus build up to activate your passives, which basically incite players to under-activate the focus tree to make that quicker (because the passives are more effective than the rest of the focus tree)... I guess it has been acknowledged for focus 2.0 as apparently it will be activated by using transferance, but that just mean players will use transferance at the start of the mission to activate it without other purpose... so why not jump the leap and make it ready on go ?

Thanks !

12 minutes ago, RiouHotaru said:

But fighting Eidolons isn't required for any form of progression, which is my point.  People are complaining about changes to a mode that was already criminally underused to begin with, and encouraged utterly lazy styles of play (of which I'm guilty of, Naramon stealth is absurd).  Now they're being altered to be more creative and useful across wider situations and contexts and suddenly it's bad.

Really glad DE is doing Focus 2.0, you're definitely right about fighting Eidolons not being required for any form of progression (aside from bragging rights) but with what they're doing you went from "Naramon and Zenurik.... Which one... Energy or Stealth.." to "Hmm... Which one which one of these five great threes should I choose..." Which is nice and will encourage a lot more tactical gameplay rather then just hitting five and getting invinsible or energy. Now we'll actually want to expand to other schools rather then being sticklers for those two. I was disappointed with Unairu at first, but now? I may end up enjoying it with this in coming rework.

2 minutes ago, Amazerath said:

I don't get it. You say you want operators to be more combat-ready but all the scenarios you've described have operators fulfilling support roles.

pretty sure the ones that directly buff the operators are the ones they arent going to list, afterall they dont want to saying anything at all about the warrior mode or things related to it outside of how to get it.

1 minute ago, NightBlitz said:

pretty sure the ones that directly buff the operators are the ones they arent going to list, afterall they dont want to saying anything at all about the warrior mode or things related to it outside of how to get it.

Not much sense in making a thread to talk about things you don't want to properly describe.

6 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

like an area-of-effect energy restore consumable that Void Dashing can create

Ugh. What's the point of this when we already have energy restores? Why would you force players to remain stationary to regain energy when the current parkour system encourages mobility? If you can't already tell, I'm a Zenurik user that hates using restores because standing around for 30 seconds completely kills the flow and fun of the game for me, more than any amount of ability spam ever could. Except in a defense mission I guess, which is why you used that in your example scenario right?:thumbdown:

Now let me give you a couple scenarios DE:

1) Your Nezha is hot on the tails of a Grineer capture target, chasing him through tight corridors and hallways. As you turn a sharp corner, you run into a group of enemies and are knocked down by a heavy gunner (or hooked by a scorpion, hit by a bombard rocket, charged by a nox....who cares? pick one), who is supported by an energy leech eximus. You quickly dispatch of the leech and proceed to murder his friends, but not before all of your energy is drained (you only had half left before this engagement since you were using Fire Walker to chase the target) and the target has left you in the dust. Not to worry though! You can drop this magic bubble and stand there for like 15, 20 seconds to regain all that energy and restart the chase! FUN!!!!

2) Your Mesa is assassinating the Jackal for the umpteenth time, hoping for that Ruinous Extension to finally drop. You get a little carried away while using Peacemaker (curse those ospreys!), and run out of energy unexpectedly. No fear! Just drop your magic bubble and stand there for free energy! Except now you don't have enough energy to recast Shatter Shield and rockets were already on their way to your face. Still no fear! You're sure you can regain enough energy for SS before you're murdered, so you just stand there like a boss! FU..........CK!!!!

I sincerely hope your other ideas to replace Energy Overflow are better than this DE, because this is disappointing to say the least IMO.

Just now, Alcatraz said:

And you're getting your information from where? Logically I'd think we'd be able to keep them sure.

Yeah, I used logic. Plus, when they refounded the forma for the reworked weapons, they added it to the one in our inventory. Same with credit refounds.

I think in general this game is too fast for ideas like stationary energy regen or void dash to save someone. In very intensive missions *there is so much chaos around that i don't know what's going on and what suddenly one-shooted me on full health.* No time to predict or react. Right now with this current speed, where everyone run around the map jumping and killing, if someone start to take heavy damage he's dead before you even think about helping him. Even if you save him from dying, in a moment he will be dead anyway since damage is simply too high for him. So, either your fine or your dead - that's the problem here. There is nothing between, because everything happen too fast and damage of higher level enemies is too much. In the game with infinite revives, it's easier to just let someone die and pick him up with full health.

If the game speed would be slower by... let's say 20% (and of course balanced around it), maybe then will be place for these cool actions like saving someone from massive damage in last moment, spotting a bombard that just walk in and avoid his missile, watching that cool polearm combo moves etc...

* those are words of a new player i talked with

1 hour ago, Troll_Logic said:

Really?  Because I find operators to be weak little kids with little power that runs out quickly and who run around like they are in molasses. 

Oh, and have have the worst possible meter to display the amount of power.

According to lore, their super beings of light. Which means they WILL get better. Patience little Padawan.

I don't know why everyone is complaining. Focus was a system made for the operator that ended up being passives for our frames. Now when they change it so focus is actually for the operator it's an issue just because you can't use your stupid energy regen passives. People act like that's the way to play the game and that "standing still in a bubble" or near a energy restore is terrible compared to using the stupid passive that didn't even exist a few years ago. If you lived with it before then you can handle it now crybabies, at least there is more you can do with the operator and focus perks. Sure it might not be amazing but everything they rework (in focus 2.0) doesn't have to be as stupidly broken as it was before. The fact that there is no definite "amazing passive"(or any perk) that's required like naramon or zenurik's is GOOD. It means you can freely choose from any of them and get A benefit instead of being S**t out of luck because you didn't choose the only two useful trees.

Seems promising.

For now, I just have a single request, for Unairu.

Instead of giving it a passive based on armor buff, it'd be more suitable to give it a passive damage reduction. (applied prior to any effective damage to shield, armor &health). Ex: for 100 damage incoming, Unairu would just block X% of that, whatever are the stats of the frame/operator used.

Why that?

- It's unfair to Warframes who have low armor.

- Almost useless on those having high shields (since most of the time, they won't benefit from a passive based on armor).

- It's barely useful on warframe with high armor, since they need a drastically high amount of extra armor to benefit from a noticeable effect of such a buff (above 600-700 armor, the damage reduction gain is lower and lower).

This simple difference would make Unairu on par with the buffs of other schools (otherwise it won't be chosen by many, nay not at all, like currently), and turn it into a very valid option for every frame (each school is made for being equally beneficial on all frames, right?).

Thank you for considering!

If you're going to make Zenurik no longer have an energy passive but make it an active, PLEASE MAKE IT WORTH USING, unlike the current active. 25 energy at a minimum of every 2 1/2 minutes is not worth anything. Any active needs to be much better than this.

My other question is how are focus cooldowns going to work with free use of Operators?

Archived