Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Facts & Fundamentals of Focus 2.0

[DE]Rebecca

Can my frame cloak too when I use Void Mode and Void Dash as Operator? Better yet, can it just stay in Void space (look ghostly/translucent, invulnerable) while I'm in Operator mode, so I can "focus" on doing my thing?

The stationary frame is just too big a weakness to the Operator system, since if the frame loses all HP, I transfer back instantly and bleed out. Please, I want to stay out as Tenno to try all your new changes that are supposedly feasible for combat.

3 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

Stop trying to make operator happen. It's not going to happen.

I was going to post this exact thought word for word.

It doesnt even seem to make sense, it just feels like tacked on abilities to make us want to use them in warrior mode. 

I can't fully articulate why, but the first version of the operators felt like it made sense and went along with the flow of the game. Your inner Tenno unleashing mental energy and appearing as a projection.

Walking around as the operator just doesn't make sense to me. The new focus system feels forced. Even the scenario descriptions for why I would want to use them feel forced. No, I don't want to hop out of my WF in the middle of a big fight. Why? 

If you do a mode like this, there needs to be an advantage in some ways to playing as the frame. It should be faster or something. In a game where the premise is getting better, intentionally gimping yourself to borrow half-arsed versions of another frames abilities doesn't seem all that appealing.

The first version of the operator was cool. It provided a moment of invincibility, a powerful ability, and you got to float around. That's why it worked. It didn't feel like I was gimping myself.

Unless there is some new upgrade to the operator that hasn't been revealed yet, I can't be excited about this. It feels forced. 

I liked TSS and what it brought to gameplay, but TWW transference business just doesn't sit right with me as a battlefield tactic. I honestly thought that the purpose of it was to give us an excuse to use our Tenno in our ships and relays... But I'm not liking this combat focus.

17 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

If you do a mode like this, it should be BETTER in some ways to playing as the frame. It should be faster or something. In a game where the premise is getting better, intentionally gimping yourself to borrow half-arsed versions of another frames abilities doesn't seem all that appealing.

But then why would you play your frame? The fundamental problem is you're either playing operator or frame, you can't do both at the same time. So if frame is better than operator, operator feels like a chore. If operator was better, frame would feel like a chore. There is no way out of this, DE have designed themselves into a corner. IMO the only way out is to remove operator entirely. They used a story quest to give us operator, they can use one to take it away again. Ship gets attacked, operator is mortally wounded, transfers their consciousness into a warframe as a last resort (like Rell transferred himself into Harrow), leaving their dead body behind. Boom, no more operator, and we can finally leave this massive misstep behind us.

20 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

The first version of the operator was cool. It provided a moment of invincibility, a powerful ability, and you got to float around. That's why it worked. It didn't feel like I was gimping myself.

Eh, kind of. There was still very little reason to use it other than to activate the passive abilities (why those aren't on at all times and need to be activated is beyond me).

1 minute ago, Mekyo said:

Looks really cool on paper, adding a new layer of synergy, more active than old focus, I'm excited !

On paper, maybe? As people have pointed out, all of those tactical scenarios are faster and better resolved by bullet jumping and pulling the trigger. It is as if DE themselves have an unrealistic idea of how their game mechanics work out in play, as opposed to on paper.

Hello!

Well, i don't post here often but i really feel like i need right now.

I've been dying from hype last days but there is something regard to focus that REALLY bothers me.

Dispite of loving DE work and i think they are doing it great the Cross-Focus concept it's just crazy in a lot of ways. People that work a lot of time will be able to be much much stronger then others.

The Problem here is that i don't see noone talking about this as i read tru the forums...

The Question about focus points being refunded:sadcry:... It's sad to think that a lot of people who maxed shadow step and energy overflow and earned a lot of points on zenurik and naramon since they unlocked it and never invested anything more will now have tons of points on those schools and if they now (with the rework) want to move to other school they can't because the Focus points refunded from the new update will stay at each school.

In my Humble opinion I think DE should make ALL THE FOCUS POINTS REFUNDED not in each school but like all together refunded so we could start all over again if we wanted to persuit another Tenno way unvesting in a all new school tree and max it out with our points earned from the zenurik and naramon from the time we played since the second dream update.

I hope i successfully passed my message, sorry for my bad english I'm not a native speaker.

And please guys if you share the same opinion of mine upvote this coment OR coment your self this aswell because DE needs to think about this (if they didn't already)

Happy hunting Tenno !

14 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Firstly - 'What about Energy Overflow'? On the public build Energy Overflow worked passively for a single player, and we are experimenting with an active, more powerful party-wide buff. Focus 2.0 currently has a placeable party-wide energy buff in Zenurik that stacks with other Zenurik users - think of it like an area-of-effect energy restore consumable that Void Dashing can create. We will follow up in the Update notes about other areas of Energy gain.

We will go over an example of a new Zenurik combat scenario:

Your Mesa is going to work, protecting your defense point from hordes of Grineer. Suddenly, your Frame runs out of energy! With no Energy Restores equipped you quickly switch to your Operator and Void Dash onto your objective.This creates a bubble where you land in which you and your teammates can charge up quickly to 'Make some Peace'.

Welp, back to using energy pads.
GJ, DE. Instead of buffing other schools you destroyed the only one that didn't need an EV in a squad. THX.

Your Rhino is strong, and together with the Saryn in your squad you're pummeling droves of enemies in a Survival mission. Time marches forth and so it goes, your body count climbing higher and higher. As you check out your HUD you see Saryn is taking heavy damage. With impeccable agility, you begin Transference and Void Dash through her to grant complete immunity to damage for a limited time. When you return to your Rhino, you Stomp, and the killing continues. So it goes.

Also you have misspelt Rhino STRONK. Pls fix.

2 minutes ago, Eldirian said:

GJ, DE. Instead of buffing other schools you destroyed the only one that didn't need an EV in a squad. THX.

Hush peasant! They are developers and better know what is better for their game. Did it ever happen that devs destroy perfectly working game by "fixing", "streamlining", "reimagining" or adding new "features"?

Dissapointed. 

another proof that DE doesn't play their game.

Saryn scenario was the best :crylaugh: Yea use void dash and then rhino stomp to save saryn.. How about just use stomp and CC the whole tile? Or loki scenario.. Yea, coz stealth finishers are not enough to kill enemy right? Hell all those "scenarios" are joke. yet Again i was hyped for this.. And now its all dead. 

I was hoping the operator would be truly powerful, capable of dishing out insane damage but nah, we get more "abilities" that we wont ever use because warframes are just too powerful and there's no reason to use band aid operator mechanics.

I like it. Though this is a small portion of what new comes ahead, I´m hopeful to the new kind of gameplay we will be using. I mean, I will now actually find a better use for going into Operator mode momentarily xD Kuva farming wasn´t really a thing I understood myself on anyway....

my Unairu......

i will finally be that god damn mountain

if we get more "active" abilities for the Op, there a re two things you should be aware of

in end game, Operator will instantly get killed, will there be any way to mitigate the damage or something ?

second : you should really increase the flow into Opform just like a fast flow (press button, no delay, the op instantly get out of the frame) adding more fluidity

38 minutes ago, Eldirian said:

Welp, back to using energy pads.

People keep saying this, and it cracks me up. You realize Zenurik 2.0's void dash as described here is basically a free team energy restore, right? It's literally a buffed up Energy Surge, but without the cooldown. "What's Energy Surge?" It's the passive on the other branch of the Zenurik tree. The one you ignore, because less than one energy orb's value on a 3-5 minute cooldown isn't worth increasing said cooldown. But this? This is different. We'll have to wait and see what the numbers look like, but an ability compared to Energy Overflow as "an active, more powerful party-wide buff" that enables you to "charge up quickly" certainly sounds like it should provide bigger numbers.

By all means, voice your concerns, but this kind of "sky is falling" knee-jerk reaction helps no one.

Dev Workshop: Facts & Fundamentals of Focus 2.0

Honorable Tenno,

Focus means Spoilers - read no further if you haven't completed The Second Dream!

It's been almost two years since we released the first version of Focus. Focus comes as a system unlocked upon completion of 'The Second Dream'. After answering a series of questions from The Lotus, you (the Operator) chose a Focus school and began your journey through a series of Passives that you needed to unlock all the while earning the Focus points to do so. Then came The War Within, where your Operator became playable with a few abilities meant mainly to help you earn Kuva and participate in Quests.

The core purpose of this rework is to shift the goals of the Focus system, from supplementing Warframes towards making your Operator more combat-ready. This means that there will be more of a balance between Passives and Actives under Focus 2.0.

Let's start with some very important facts about all your accrued Focus Points and installed Lenses:

1. All installed Lenses have been removed and returned to your inventory. You should give yourself time to study the new system before you reinstall them.
  2. All spent Focus Points have been returned so you can respec your skill trees.
  3. There are Focus Lenses (1.25% Affinity Conversion), Greater Focus Lenses (1.75% Affinity Conversion), and now (name not final) Eidolon/Ostron Lenses (2.25% Affinity Conversion) Blueprints for this last category—requiring multiple Greater Lenses to craft—will be awarded through the Plains of Eidolon Bounty System.

Now we shall talk Passives, Residuals, and Actives.

Actives in their current form on the public build are at the behest of a 100 HP pool for the Operator. The Active and Passive Focus paths in Focus 2.0 aim to increase your Operator’s survivability and to give you the option to approach combat with added Operator support and armaments. Only a few encounters will necessitate this and as the game and feedback grows we will develop accordingly.  

As far as the Focus Schools themselves, we have clearcut the trees of the old system and are rebuilding entirely new ability paths. We are also including cross-Focus nodes you can unlock within different trees!

Many benefits of the new Focus trees are linked to the activation of the Operator or Operator Abilities (Void Dash, Void Blast, Void Mode).

If you remember anything from this point on, remember this: everything is subject to change!

A case study for each school will follow, and each will offer a partial example of what's to come. This will not be a node-by-node breakdown as it may change too much between now and release. What this shows you is a single possibility - what you end up doing will depend on what you discover as you read the node changes on release.

Naramon:

We will go over an example of a new Naramon combat scenario:

Your Banshee is under heavy Corpus fire - a barrage of Supra projectiles are coming toward you. As a Naramon Tenno, you engage Transference and enter Operator Mode and Void Blast an enemy with a Disarming Blast. Your beam has a high chance to disarm all enemies unlucky enough to be caught in its path! You return to your Warframe and make quick work of the now weaponless enemies.

Next, take a look at what we're calling the 'Residual' nodes of Focus 2.0:

• Residual Starting Node: Affinity Spike. A Residual effect that grants you more affinity on Melee Kills. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Melee Damage: A Residual effect that grants you up to 50% more damage on Melee Kills. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

Zenurik:

Firstly - 'What about Energy Overflow'? On the public build Energy Overflow worked passively for a single player, and we are experimenting with an active, more powerful party-wide buff. Focus 2.0 currently has a placeable party-wide energy buff in Zenurik that stacks with other Zenurik users - think of it like an area-of-effect energy restore consumable that Void Dashing can create. We will follow up in the Update notes about other areas of Energy gain.

We will go over an example of a new Zenurik combat scenario:

Your Mesa is going to work, protecting your defense point from hordes of Grineer. Suddenly, your Frame runs out of energy! With no Energy Restores equipped you quickly switch to your Operator and Void Dash onto your objective.This creates a bubble where you land in which you and your teammates can charge up quickly to 'Make some Peace'.

• Residual Starting Node: Energy Pulse. A Residual effect that grants you a radial energy pickup effect for teammates. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Channeling Efficiency: A Residual effect that grants you up to 50% more Channeling Efficiency on Melee. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

Unairu:

We will go over an example of a new Unairu combat scenario:

Your Atlas is rocking out on a mobile defense mission, when suddenly you a nasty Nox comes your way! Switching to your Operator, you Void Dash through the enemy, sundering some of his armor and crippling his damage output. You remain in Void Mode near your teammates to grant them invisibility as they deal with the enemy from the safety of the shadows.

• Residual Starting Node: Mirror Flare. A Residual effect that Reflects damage back at attackers. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Armor Buff: A Residual effect that grants an Armor increase for Warframes and Operators. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

Madurai:

We will go over an example of a new Madurai combat scenario:

Loki—alone in the Plains—is doing as he pleases. He decides to play a bit of a trick on some Grineer Tusk units he detects nearby. By slipping into Transference his operator cloaks himself ; each second spent cloaked significantly increases the damage of the next attack. After enough sneaking, the Operator fires and the Grineer are no more.

• Residual Starting Node: Phoenix Talons. A Residual effect that grants you an increased Physical Damage. Once you activate the Operator for the first time(i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Phoenix Spirit: A Residual effect that grants you increased Elemental Damage. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

Vazarin:

We will go over an example of a new Vazarin combat scenario:

Your Rhino is strong, and together with the Saryn in your squad you're pummeling droves of enemies in a Survival mission. Time marches forth and so it goes, your body count climbing higher and higher. As you check out your HUD you see Saryn is taking heavy damage. With impeccable agility, you begin Transference and Void Dash through her to grant complete immunity to damage for a limited time. When you return to your Rhino, you Stomp, and the killing continues. So it goes.

• Residual Starting Node: Mending Unity. A Residual effect that grants you an increased Affinity Radius. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.
  • Residual: Mending Soul: A Residual effect that grants you instant Revives for your allies. Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

Cross-Focus Unlocks

For players who delve deep into their focus trees, two passive nodes from each tree can be made “universal” once maxed! For a substantial Focus cost, these passives become available regardless of the school you are using. One can only truly “complete” a Focus tree by exploring all 5 of the Tenno ways!

But there is also NEW - all the above examples don't include the coming Weaponry and Arcane-like Enhancements your Operators are getting when they become true 'Eidolon Hunters'.

Thank you for reading almost 4 pages - if you made it this far I salute you!

Cheers.

There are brand new things coming. We will cover these in detail in the Update notes - the suspense continues!

Its good that you removed all focus lenses. But why introduce a third tier when you still have the convergence orbs in the game?

I could understand if you removed the orbs from the game proper and made sure to free us from such a annoying and anti team focused drop in the game. 

Heck convergence orbs can fail MD or Defence modes on its own at higher level of play such as sorties. 

Your spawn logic for the convergence orbs still not good enough that they actually spawn within the boundaries of the current tileset. They can still sapwn 1-2 tilesets away. 

The longest i have seen this week is 140 meter away from my warframe. 

Just a preface nothing of what you told us in your examples here really show the rpg classes that you as developers said inspired you for the focus rework. 

stealth and massive burst damage is what a rogue does and i cant see that in naramon at all with these changes. 

The increased melee damage does fit but disarm is a cc ability and more akin to what a figher would use. 

As for Zenurik in your example that mesa would be dead because she would be standing still.  In  a game praised for its movement and agility standing still kind of goes against how we play this game. 

Forcing us to stand still to get energy will probably mean you need to find a safe spot or depend on other warframes like frost or limbo to not die when you trigger it. 

Also channeling efficiency usage is something you should already have data on.   

you have 13 mods in this category. Some of which are for conclave. 

Life strike is probably one the mods that players actually use.

Dispath Overdrive can be used in niche builds that look for the maximum movement speed. 

Same with Killing blow.

But that is largely it. Unless you have further plans to improve channeling and how it works that residual will add very little of value.

Nothing shown so far has given of any vibes of a wizard but as it is a work in progress it remains to be seen how it will end up looking at its final version. 

Unairu ..... so you want to force a player to act as a stationary stealth bubble? Even ash smoke bomb augment is better and that remains a hard to use power since warframes players hardly get so close together without a preplanned group that use VoIP. 

Also unless you either tweak your own armor and health scaling in this game or add extreme levels of reflected damage mirror flare will at most tickle enemies above level 30.  

Madurai this ability reads more like a naramon ability as it focuses on stealth and burst damage.

The ability actually sounds like it would be an fantastic replacement of the combo system for snipers more then anything else. Snipers are all about laying in wait and lining up the perfect shot for high damage to get that one hit one kill ability sniper players strive after. 

As an wait and see ability for operators, only those players that enjoy playing methodicly and with stealth will use it. Well that is my prediction at least. 

The residuals sounds amazing so nice work there. 

Vazarin  the ability to hit a bulletjumping saryn at full speed require a dexterity few players possess so i would be generous if i say we would even have a 10% chance to pull that example off. 

The residuals are all revamps of things vazarin already have an use so that is good. Those are exactly the reason many choose that school in the first place :)

To wrap up 

The movement and key combos used to actually play as the physical operators need to be looked at. 

The controls are clunky as hell and while i cant speak for others myself using a mechanical keybord with far less travel time then a regular keyboard have to time void dash extreamly good for it to even work since it require 2 button presses to even execute. 

Why not tie it to roll instead so we can have some fluidity in the operators movement?

Also you have not spoken at all about how our warframes will behave once we have the physical operator out.

If they still stand still motionless while we are out as physical operators you have in fact created an artificial limit on how long we will use physical operators due to the fact that our warframes will die if we remain to long as physical operators. 

The ghost operator is turning both its operator and the warframe invulnerable so that concern does not exist in that mode. 

As a player who have no love for the operators i at least hope you will manage to make their gameplay fluid and smooth so that those that enjoy them actually get more out of focus 2.0 then they got out of 1.0. 

Myself i will use them for the residual affects and enjoy the rest the game has to offer.    

13 minutes ago, DreamsmithJane said:

People keep saying this, and it cracks me up. You realize Zenurik 2.0's void dash as described here is basically a free team energy restore, right? It's literally a buffed up Energy Surge, but without the cooldown. "What's Energy Surge?" It's the passive on the other branch of the Zenurik tree. The one you ignore, because less than one energy orb's value on a 3-5 minute cooldown isn't worth increasing said cooldown. But this? This is different. We'll have to wait and see what the numbers look like, but an ability compared to Energy Overflow as "an active, more powerful party-wide buff" that enables you to "charge up quickly" certainly sounds like it should provide bigger numbers.

By all means, voice your concerns, but this kind of "sky is falling" knee-jerk reaction helps no one.

You trade an mission long 4 energy per second for a limited time stationary energy regen spot. We dont even need hard numbers to tell they wont even be close to the same usability. 

Unless you can do that over and over without a large cooldown the new version is inferior. 

1 hour ago, Atekron said:

Hush peasant! They are developers and better know what is better for their game. Did it ever happen that devs destroy perfectly working game by "fixing", "streamlining", "reimagining" or adding new "features"?

We could collectively probably list times this has happened for days. 

Also i think you forgot /s at the end there.

I wasn't going to say anything, but man i have to. Who cares if it screws up a neg efficiency build, that's what you get for running a build that makes your 1st ability unspammable. So far i'm liking the whole, no 4e/s for casting 5 zenurik or permanent invis. Those were way too op. 

So, is it possible to improve the way you activate the operator? Not second dream, that looks and feels powerful, but the war winnin activation. It's clunky and stops the flow of combat somewhat on activation, and doesn't feel like every time you use it you have to pause and change game types.

If DE made it so that, while midair, activating the operator was like a sudo bullet jump, adding movement to something obtained through the dedication of the game, it would make people use the operator even if it just was for the rule of cool, or if DE are truly dedicated, which they are, they make fancy exists of the warframe.

Some even animated, money fashion-frame inducing, like Imagine a bullet jumping warframe releasing a bullet jumping tennno with the colored aura of choice surrouding the exit. Or a spin attacking tenno on each exit. How about a neck cracking? A bow?

I know the possibilities were there from the beginning since the moment me and my friends got the ability to exit our warframes we've always tried to make it look cool. But it's like, pop goes the operator into existence. Hell, even animations where the operator interacts with his frame would be a boom in used plat. Economic influx of more players trying to get the animation where the operator tries to have the warframe high five, but ending up with one hand on the warframe's arm, making it high five yourself in a way. But I guess only time will tell.

Adding the ability to fight improves the use of the operator greatly, but always remember. Fashion-frame is the endgame.

12 hours ago, Gene_Freak said:

The operator needs to have mobility that can rival a frame - maybe not the exact same slides and jumps, but something that can allow an operator to move rapidly and freely. Ghostly flying? Tribes-y jetting and skiing? Something more practical than trying to spam void dash, at least.

The "Void jet-skating" (a la Tribes or Firefall) is an interesting idea, and one that has been echoed by other posters. Differentiating movement between Warframes and Operators is important; although we shouldn't have as much verticality in our Operator forms, we ought to find it much easier to strafe around enemies while ignoring some kinks in the terrain. Something like innate "bullet time" would also be quite nice, and allow us to dodge projectiles as they're coming. Preserving momentum through Transference is a plus; to make the experience even smoother, teleporting one's Warframe to the location of the Operator allows for premeditated repositioning in the middle of an encounter. Changing the dash mechanic into something like this would certainly make active focus abilities more palatable.

20 minutes ago, XDrawdex said:

Well, it was a beta. So it was anyone's game as to how it ended up being.

Beta's are things that get reworked or changed, not scrapped and replaced. You are thinking an alpha, while the focus screen listed a beta.

Archived