[DE]Rebecca

Plains of Eidolon: Facts & Fundamentals of Focus 2.0

17 hours ago, Archwizard said:

Took some notes on each of the Focus trees, so here you go:

• Each tree will require 100 capacity from the focus "Pool" up top in order to cap out, which took about 5 million focus to do, excluding the costs of nodes
  • Each tree has 2 "Residuals", one of which is always the starting node, the other will be a single-node branch
    • Residuals are proc effects that are activated by entering Operator mode or using your Operator ability, and remain active for the remainder of the mission
    • Residual nodes are hexagonal
  • Each tree has branches for the Void Dash, Blast (melee) and Mode (stealth crouch), respectively
    • These nodes will increase the energy cost of affected abilities in addition to the bonuses provided
    • Nodes on these branches are circular and are unlocked with the War Within
  • Each tree has a branch with two "Way-bound" nodes 
    • Way-bound nodes are Operator passives that, as their capstone rank, can be "unbound" to use with any Focus school active
    • Capping (or "unbinding") the final rank of each Way-bound effect requires a "Brilliant Eidolon Shard" to unlock, in addition to 1 million Focus
    • Way-bound nodes are also hexagonal
  • Once unlocked, individual nodes of the tree can be deactivated at no additional cost
  • Unlocking nodes will no longer increase the cooldown of your Operator ability
  • Transitioning to/from your Operator occurs more quickly, and Operators will inherit momentum from your Warframe if you switch mid-parkour
    • Operators can now slide and have new death animations
    • Ability energy is now separated from the Void Beam ammo, and features a new UI element
  • Amp weapons for your Operator affect the beam attack, and can apparently be ranked up; no other information is provided
  • Some of the passives available in the previous iteration of Focus will be available as Arcanes (although which have not been specified - here's hoping for Shadow Step)
  • I didn't provide the growth values, because all provided values are subject to change

NARAMON

Reveal hidden contents

Starting node (RESIDUAL):
Affinity Spike (6 ranks) - Increased Affinity from Melee kills

Branch 1 (RESIDUAL):
Power Spike (4 ranks) - Increased melee damage

Branch 2:
Executing Dash (4 ranks) - Instead of throwing enemies, Void Dash opens them to finishers and increases finisher damage taken
Surging Dash (6 ranks) - Void Dash base damage and damage radius (ie width) are increased

Branch 3:
Disorienting Blast (4 ranks) - Void Blast has a chance to Confuse enemies (a la Mind Spike, Chaos, Irradiating Disarm)
Disarming Blast (6 ranks) - Void Blast has a chance to Disarm enemies (a la Radial Disarm, Nyx's passive)

Branch 4:
Void Stalker (4 ranks) - Entering Void Mode increases melee Crit Chance (stacks a la Point Strike) over 5 sec, but this bonus diminishes over 20 sec upon exiting Void Mode
Void Hunter (4 ranks) - Enemies within range can be seen through walls while in Void Mode (a la Zenith)

Branch 5 (WAY-BOUND):
Mind Step (4 ranks + capstone) - Increased Operator movement speed (including slide speed)
Mind Sprint (4 ranks + capstone) - Increased Void Dash travel distance

VAZARIN

Reveal hidden contents

Mending Unity (4 ranks) - Increases Affinity range

Branch 1 (RESIDUAL):
Mending Soul (4 ranks) - The next X revives after activating Operator will be instantaneous

Branch 2:
Protective Dash (4 ranks) - Void Dash grants damage immunity to allies it passes through (including the user)
Sonic Dash (4 ranks) - Instead of throwing enemies, Void Dash releases a traveling shockwave that stuns enemies

Branch 3:
Guardian Shell (6 ranks) - Void Blast can be charged to create a barrier that drains Operator energy when struck, instead of health
Guardian Blast (4 ranks) - Void Blast restores a flat amount of shields to allies struck

Branch 4:
Void Regen (4 ranks) - Void Mode periodically heals the user while active
Void Aegis (4 ranks) - Void Mode emits a protective barrier that grows to a maximum size over 5 sec

Branch 5 (WAY-BOUND):
Enduring Tides (4 ranks + capstone) - Increased Operator health pool
Rejuvenating Tides (4 ranks + capstone) - Operator regenerates health every second

UNAIRU

Reveal hidden contents

Mirror Flare (6 ranks) - Passively reflects a percentage of taken back to attackers

Branch 1 (RESIDUAL):
Stone Skin (4 ranks) - Operator and Warframe armor are increased (stacks a la Steel Fiber)

Branch 2:
Sundering Dash (6 ranks) - Void Dash will reduce armor of enemies it passes through
Crippling Dash (4 ranks) - Void Dash will reduce damage dealt by enemies it passes through

Branch 3:
Magnetic Blast (4 ranks) - Void Blast places a personal Bullet Attractor on enemies struck for a limited period
Unairu Wisp (4 ranks) - Void Blast has a chance to summon a Wisp that can be picked up by allies to increase their Operator damage dealt

Branch 4: 
Void Shadow (4 ranks) - Void Mode grants invisibility to allies within range
Void Chrysalis (4 ranks) - While you channel Void Mode, invisible allies within range gain mitigation

Branch 5 (WAY-BOUND):
Basilisk Scales (4 ranks + capstone) - Increased Operator armor
Basilisk Gaze (4 ranks + capstone) - Increased Void Blast effect radius

ZENURIK

Reveal hidden contents

Energy Pulse (6 ranks) - Energy Orbs grant a percentage of bonus energy over (inversely affected) time

Branch 1 (RESIDUAL):
Inner Might (6 ranks) - Increased Channeling efficiency on melee attacks

Branch 2:
Energizing Dash (6 ranks) - Void Dash leaves behind a zone that grants an energy regeneration buff to allies who pass through it (a la the armor buff from Hallowed Ground) for 30 sec; players can stack the effects of multiple Zenurik users' zones at once
Lightning Dash (4 ranks) - Void Dash creates ball lightning that travels slowly and zaps nearby enemies

Branch 3:
Temporal Blast (6 ranks) - Void Blast slows enemies for a period
Voltaic Blast (4 ranks) - Void Blast chains to nearby enemies for increased damage

Branch 4:
Void Static (4 ranks) - Void Mode emits an electrical pulse on activation that deals Electrical damage in a radius
Void Singularity (4 ranks) - Void Mode pulls enemies within range towards the Operator while active

Branch 5 (WAY-BOUND):
Void Siphon (6 ranks + capstone) - Increased Operator Energy regeneration
Void Flow (6 ranks + capstone) - Increased Operator Energy capacity

MADURAI

Reveal hidden contents

Phoenix Talons (4 ranks) - Increases all Physical damage dealt

Branch 1 (RESIDUAL):
Phoenix Spirit (4 ranks) - Increases all Elemental damage dealt

Branch 2:
Blazing Dash (6 ranks) - Void Dash leaves a trail of fire (a la Nezha) that deals Heat damage over time
Meteoric Dash (4 ranks) - Void Dash deals a flat amount of additional damage to enemies

Branch 3:
Flame Blast (4 ranks) - Void Blast shoots a Fireball that explodes after a delay period, dealing a multiple of the initial Blast's damage
Rising Blast (4 ranks) - Void Blast's base damage increases, and it can be charged for additional damage

Branch 4:
Void Radiance (4 ranks) - Temporarily Blinds enemies within range after leaving Void Mode
Void Strike (6 ranks) - Void Mode generates a buff to your Operator's next damaging attack outside of the cloak, which stacks for every second that the Operator was cloaked

Branch 5 (WAY-BOUND): 
Inner Gaze (4 ranks + capstone) - Increased Void Beam/Amp ammo capacity
Eternal Gaze (6 ranks + capstone) - Increased Void Beam/Amp reload speed

Thanks for doing this.

@[DE]Rebecca @[DE]Steve I really hope you will look at expanding Focus, and particularly the Operator, again in the future.  The different Focus schools need to actually inform Operator gameplay - as in, Operator movements and abilities - more than they do in this rework.  The current Focus schools (to which these new ability trees insufficiently align) describe five different combat roles that could be expanded into more developed gameplay. Given just how restrictive the current three abilities are, the Operators could use some additional attacks and movements that are unique to each school. 

Just to give one example, Vazarin could give Void Blast the functionality to physically counter and disarm enemies in close-quarter range, since the school is focused on countering the enemy and moving with an opponent's attacks in order to nullify them.  Alternatively, if you don't want to create new physical movements for them, you could give each school a more powerful AoE attack that is limited by some sort of Operator-specific attack counter. Sticking with Vazarin's description, this could be some sort of fancy disarm where the Operator takes enemy weapons Magneto-style and turns them on enemies within a certain radius.

I get that this isn't currently how you envision the Operators or Focus, but adding such functionality to the Operators would go a long way in improving their appeal.  After all, the Operators are supposed to have unfiltered Void powers, right? So wouldn't it make sense that they would be - at least to some degree - more powerful than the Warframes?  I know it's too late to do this for Plains of Eidolon, but please, please consider it for the future.

Edited by Arktourus
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Upvote 2

Mosts of Operator's stuff look pretty bad. Weak, convoulted and costly. Additional costs for upgraded skills is totally unnecessary.

Judging by passives, Vazarin and Zenurik will be most useful, Madurai and Unairu will be situational for some frames/weapons, and Naramon is weakest.

• Upvote 13

For the record, I am pleased that Naramon has fallen in power, in the general view. [hipster mode engage] I chose Naramon before it was known to be OP, and I'm gonna use it for the sweet hit and run melee berserker style now. [/engage]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornWithTeeth said:

I refer you again to DE's crazy zero sum game mentality, where levelling up Focus means it gets more powerful but also far more punishing to actually use.

I don't actually have a problem with that, assuming it is balanced and not literally just a downgrade because it costs too much, I just want to be able to choose my power level vs efficiency beyond "yes" or "no" and if I decide I don't like it at lvl 5 I can go back to lvl 4, just like with corrupted mods. 

• Like 1
  • Woah 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

For the record, I am pleased that Naramon has fallen in power, in the general view. [hipster mode engage] I chose Naramon before it was known to be OP, and I'm gonna use it for the sweet hit and run melee berserker style now. [/engage]

Same 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Arktourus said:

Thanks for doing this.

@[DE]Rebecca @[DE]Steve I really hope you will look at expanding Focus, and particularly the Operator, again in the future.  The different Focus schools need to actually inform Operator gameplay - as in, Operator movements and abilities - more than they do in this rework.  The current Focus schools (to which these new ability trees insufficiently align) describe five different combat roles that could be expanded into more developed gameplay. Given just how restrictive the current three abilities are, the Operators could use some additional attacks and movements that are unique to each school. 

Just to give one example, Vazarin could give Void Blast the functionality to physically counter and disarm enemies in close-quarter range, since the school is focused on countering the enemy and moving with an opponent's attacks in order to nullify them.  Alternatively, if you don't want to create new physical movements for them, you could give each school a more powerful AoE attack that is limited by some sort of Operator-specific attack counter. Sticking with Vazarin's description, this could be some sort of fancy disarm where the Operator takes enemy weapons Magneto-style and turns them on enemies within a certain radius.

I get that this isn't currently how you envision the Operators or Focus, but adding such functionality to the Operators would go a long way in improving their appeal.  After all, the Operators are supposed to have unfiltered Void powers, right? So wouldn't it make sense that they would be - at least to some degree - more powerful than the Warframes?  I know it's too late to do this for Plains of Eidolon, but please, please consider it for the future.

Sounds amazing to me! I would love for the Operators to feel like a sort of Void unleashed mode, with more direct school-specific abilities that make the Operators truly seem powerful on their own. I'm not a fan of the idea of constantly switching back between Warframe and Operator. I'd rather Warframe and Operator gameplay be a matter of choice. You either go with your durable Warframe with its limited powers and tried-and-true weapons, or you go with the less durable, but more powerful Operator, whose core abilities vary among the five schools. An Operator system based on that premise is one that I would be fully supportive of. This current Focus 2.0? No, not at all.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll try not to judge the actual composition of trees for now, but there's a few things I feel the rework fails to address or makes worse than what we currently have.

1 - Nothing really addresses the extremely slow gain of focus affinity. Sure , you get slightly better (but way more annoying to get / to build lenses), and these yellow focus powerups will give a higher bonus focus multiplier, but that doesn't change the fact you will probably still gain tiny amounts of focus after most missions.

Always hated the yellow focus orbs, they spawn outside of the combat zone, forcing you to leave you teammates and mission objectives unprotected, they don't last long enough to rank up a huge combo counter, and you often activate them at a bad moment where there's nothing to kill, essentially wasting the orb. Unless you actively farm focus in a dedicated focus group, you'll pretty much get terrible gains, finishing missions with a few hundred points of affinity. The yellow markers always sucked because they feel gamey. They have no justifications from a gameworld perspective (Why is a random orb that increaeses focus spawns in the world and they always felt arcadey to me....

2 - The actual operator mobility has not really been touched upon, asides from allowing to spam void dash more often. The biggest issue with operators was always their slow movement speed and the fact they slowly walked everywhere while warframes are bullet jumping all over the place... And it still seems to be the case. Still think an operator rework that fails to adress the fact operators are slow, cannot climb and feel sluggish is kinda missing the mark.

3 - The grind to max out those trees seems insane. Granted, it's supposed to be placeholder numbers, but the amount of focus affinity needed just to max a single tree is plain crasy as of now... Especially with the slow gains described above. What makes it insane is the fact you're double dipping for each ability you get (capacity upgrade and the ability points themselves), plus the fact most cool new abilties often have six or seven skill levels when before, all of them were basically capped at lvl 4 (Meaning even someone that had a fully maxed tree before will probably not have enough to max it again in the new iteration. All in all, unless the costs are dramatically lowered, it seems ludacris to think anyone will be able to max out multiple treess.

With the past iterations, since 90% of the stuff in these trees were useless, the slow focus gains were not much of an issue, since you only got into a tree for the passives anyway, and unlocking other nodes was a downgrade since it made these passives even longer to activate due to the increased cooldown on your void special power, but now that you're supposed to care and want to cross unlock nodes, it'll be a huge pain to actually try and max out multiple tress with the slow-&#! affinity game.

-----------------------------------

Suggestions to fix said issue:

1 - Remove capacity costs in focus trees, drop the price of abilities and upgrades so they are more accessible.

2 - Increase the amount of affinity converted by lens... I dunno the %, but let's say 3%,4%,5% would be a great start.

3 - Remove focus tree nodes with like 6-7 upgrade levels... Just spread the bonuses over 4 levels like in the old system.

4 - Double or triple base operator movement speed. That way, they would run about as fast as a warframe runs and it would feel less tedious using them for traversal. Heck, personally I would make operators always run, and would make the run button into an "Operator levitate" button, making them float above ground ghosting all over the place at really fast speeds.

• Applause 2
  • Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, Kinetos said:

I don't actually have a problem with that, assuming it is balanced and not literally just a downgrade because it costs too much, I just want to be able to choose my power level vs efficiency beyond "yes" or "no" and if I decide I don't like it at lvl 5 I can go back to lvl 4, just like with corrupted mods. 

In practice, it kind of turns it into a sidegrade. It turns Void Mode from a stealth mode which you can use to sneak around into a scan mode which you drop into for a few seconds at a time to spot enemies through walls.

Which is crashingly, deafeningly daft, because the kind of mission where it's useful for the Operator to have wall hax is obviously a STEALTH MISSION, and they nerfed the effective duration of your STEALTH ABILITY in order to give you the vision.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

In practice, it kind of turns it into a sidegrade. It turns Void Mode from a stealth mode which you can use to sneak around into a scan mode which you drop into for a few seconds at a time to spot enemies through walls.

Which is crashingly, deafeningly daft, because the kind of mission where it's useful for the Operator to have wall hax is obviously a STEALTH MISSION, and they nerfed the effective duration of your STEALTH ABILITY in order to give you the vision.

Yeah if the negative is too strong per rank that would be so annoying. If it is sane though, I should be able to choose my balance between sight range and duration. Without underclocking, I might be perfectly satisfied with short range long duration, but be curious to know what long range short duration might be like, but if I get it and don't like it, I'm clemmed. Now I either have no sight at all, or not enough duration. 

Edited by Kinetos
Stuff
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Kinetos said:

Yeah if the negative is too strong per rank that would be so annoying. If it is sane though, I should be able to choose my balance between sight range and duration. Without underclocking, I might be perfectly satisfied with short range long duration, but be curious to know what long range short duration might be, but if I don't like it, I'm clemmed. Now I either have no sight at all, or not enough duration. 

In other words, an ability which might actually become less useful as you level it up, with no way to undo it.

I will wait patiently for someone to say that this is good, solid, considered game design.

It's stuff like this which annoys me about DE's mechanical design sometimes. 'That ability is strong, better balance it with something, give it increased energy consumption.' Yeah, sure, except that energy is duration, and you just gave this ability an 'upgrade' which fundamentally changed how it works and what role it fulfills, in a binary fashion, i.e. it's on or off, no tuning, no backsies. 

No consideration as to how the systems interact. Just 'that's powerful, better give it a drawback.' It's not even powerful. It replicates what you can do with a piece of gear wheel equipment.

Edited by BornWithTeeth
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

I will wait patiently for someone to say that this is good, solid, considered game design.

This is a good solid considered game design.

*what do you mean animal instincts exists, which renders most of the exercise null?*

Edited by phoenix1992
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

This is a good solid considered game design.

*what do you mean animal instincts exists, which renders most of the exercise null?*

Synthesis Scanners? What? Who added these to the game? They've been available since when?!

I mean, Jesus. People around here get down on their knees and weep and pray, burning Nitain incense at the altar of Vacuum, but Animal Instincts is a much more important sentinel mod. Far more tactically useful.

Edited by BornWithTeeth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Another important point - Operator damage. It going to fall pretty fast against anything serious. They need Finisher damage type, and some part of damage should be HP%-based

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Synthesis Scanners? What? Who added these to the game? They've been available since when?!

I mean, Jesus. People around here get down on their knees and weep and pray, burning Nitain incense at the altar of Vacuum, but Animal Instincts is a much more important sentinel mod. Far more tactically useful.

And is not used only on sentinels. 
I mean I get it - Kubrow/Kawat AI is suicidal, but them Smeeta buffs.

26 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

And is not used only on sentinels. 
I mean I get it - Kubrow/Kawat AI is suicidal, but them Smeeta buffs.

I luvs my Adarza.  I named him Bagheera cause it just fits.  Looking forward to using him more in the Plains.  Should be very interesting.  He will be the bane of all Grineer.  Together with Ivara, we shall both hunt and explore until they fear us.  We will be the ghosts that haunt them both in the day and at night.  

Come join us fellow Tenno in bringing fear to our enemies in the Plains.  Mwuahahahahahaha.

Just now, DatDarkOne said:

I luvs my Adarza.  I named him Bagheera cause it just fits.  Looking forward to using him more in the Plains.  Should be very interesting.  He will be the bane of all Grineer.  Together with Ivara, we shall both hunt and explore until they fear us.  We will be the ghosts that haunt them both in the day and at night.  

Come join us fellow Tenno in bringing fear to our enemies in the Plains.  Mwuahahahahahaha.

Ok, have fun, prowling. 
Meanwhile me an @BornWithTeeth will wonder where are the enemies, due to extensive BBQ sessions with Ember.

• Applause 1

Just now, phoenix1992 said:

Ok, have fun, prowling. 
Meanwhile me an @BornWithTeeth will wonder where are the enemies, due to extensive BBQ sessions with Ember.

Aahhhh YESSS! A kindred spirit.  I like that in you my brothers.  :D

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

Ok, have fun, prowling. 

I cut Ability Range as my build. Maximum default range devastation, no Corrupted Mods, Primed Vigour and Vitality. Both major Augments. I call the loadout Raijin Brawler.

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

I cut Ability Range as my build. Maximum default range devastation, no Corrupted Mods, Primed Vigour and Vitality. Both major Augments. I call the loadout Raijin Brawler.

I call that build "weekly Nerf Ember Topic"

Meanwhile I am rolling with Rambo Build with Rush, Range and the other good stuff.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

I call that build "weekly Nerf Ember Topic"

Meanwhile I am rolling with Rambo Build with Rush, Range and the other good stuff.

Bullet Jump is love. Lightning Dash is life.

• Applause 1

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

Bullet Jump is love. Lightning Dash is life.

Smacking enemies  with melee because they tripped on Firequeke is... something that will get me banned on the forums.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Azamagon said:

Madurai is also slightly unfitting its description: Its supposed to be about offense and speed, yet it has 2 charging mechanics (Rising Blast and Void Strike, with Void Strike seemingly a MUCH better version of Naramon's Void Stalker, not to mention more fitting for Naramon too)
But yes, Madurai it could be a bit more Warframe-aiding, like the other trees are.

Also, something else: You said Vazarin supports and Unairu protects. From their descriptions, I'd believe that Vazarin should protect (i.e. preventing and/or healing damage of self and others), while Unairu should be about tankiness (i.e. self-durability with a side-sprinkle of team-protection). They seem, at certain areas, a little confused with some role overlap. But, even so, they seem like functional trees at least.

I think Madurai getting the ability to charge up the Blast is okay on its own - after all, there's no tree better than the Destruction tree to have that option in. Even if charging an attack isn't necessarily quick, it can bring about a faster end to the target and end engagements as quickly as they began. You read "swift", I read "uncompromising onslaught".
I say Unairu protects because that's basically the role of a tank. Vazarin, meanwhile, is about restoration as much as protection, and gains fewer abilities that benefit itself.

I do agree that Naramon should be more stealth oriented than Madurai though. It could be as simple as just swapping Void Strike and Void Stalker (as it is more fitting for Naramon to lay in wait), but I think a big distinction would be to have Naramon get Void Strike (on the condition it affects both Operator and Warframe) while Madurai gains a new option in place of it that disables stealth entirely and instead turns Void Mode into a damage-enhancing super mode (while still retaining its invulnerability). It would fit better with Madurai's description of being reckless.

Void Hunter for Naramon should also debuff the affected enemies in some way, so you can set up your next engagement. For instance, marked enemies temporarily lose awareness a la Banshee's Silence, or have their guns blow up in their faces on their next shot. You could potentially free up Executing Dash or Disarming Blast this way and add some new mechanic, like having the Dash actually initiate a Finisher on unaware targets, or having the Blast put the user into free Void Mode for a duration increased by every target hit (ie Shadow Step); right now Void Hunter is underwhelming and, as Shul said on stream, easily replaced by just having Enemy Radar (or Animal Instinct like I put on all of my pets).

Several of the melee-focused benefits for Naramon could simply be swapped out for debuffs to exploit enemy weaknesses, like marking weakpoints, lowering crit/status resistances, or adapting to elemental weaknesses.

Additional thoughts:

Vazarin's Guardian Blast is a little underwhelming at present. It restores a little bit of shielding, but A) we have two frames who don't use shields on top of the Operators themselves, B) almost all of our shield-oriented Warframes are capable of restoring their own and C) shielding is virtually useless to everyone in the middle ground until we get Shield Gating.

It would probably save a lot of trouble to change Zenurik's Inner Might to "chance to restore (pick a number between 1-5) energy on a melee swing". Make it so at best, channeling breaks even.

Edited by Archwizard
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phoenix1992 said:

Smacking enemies  with melee because they tripped on Firequeke is... something that will get me banned on the forums.

Doing that with Venka Primes makes everything worthwhile.  Jumping a downed enemy and stabbing them multiples times is just so satisfying.  It's the reason I don't give my Ember P any other melee weapon.  It rates very high in style points.  :D