Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Roadmap: Glassframe Quest & the Plains of Eidolon!

[DE]Rebecca

So looks like is not coming this week,that 2 bad....

And if some players that they didnt know Garasu in Japanese is a glass and she looks like samurai so there you go.....this is why we have that name for her... 

Edited by Vlada91

4 hours ago, Nomicakes said:

Garasu? You chose a Japanese man saying Glass in English? When SILICA was the most voted name?
Hell, if you had to go the Japanese route, you could have chosen Hari, which is the ACTUAL JAPANESE WORD FOR GLASS.

DE just got suckered into making a joke of themselves. All these creative names, and we get a Japanese person saying glass in English as a name.
Please reconsider. Go with the popular vote of Silica, or go for the ACTUAL Japanese word for glass, Hari.

Quite frankly, "Garasu" could be deemed mocking toward Japanese people who attempt to speak English.

Except her name is Gara, not Garasu. The latter was just the inspiration. I feel you're overreacting a bit here, it's just a name. Until someone vocalizes offense with actual reason, everyone will just have to get used to it. This happens every time a new frame is named, the waves will stop crashing eventually.

21 minutes ago, Myscho said:

So Gara will be in Market as PoE update hit, but we wont be able play her quest to get parts, cuz quest delay, correct ??

Not quite.  We'll be able to get her parts but we wont be able to put them together as the main blueprint will be from the delayed quest.

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

we’ll be adding Gara’s parts to the Cetus reward tables to give you a head start for when her quest does release.

3 minutes ago, Eldirian said:

"Garasu" is actually how one would write romaji version of English "glass" in Japanese and I don't know how's that mocking anyone. Japanese language like many other languages uses loanwords (old and new ones) and it's not uncommon to hear Japanese speaker uttering "garasu" ( ガラス) instead of hari (玻璃). I would prefer Garasu over Gara because it's similar to another Japanese word "Karasu" - crow (just add some fashionframe wings and voilà!).

I don't understand why are getting so worked up over this.

Also because of SAO Silica will always remind me of this girl:

3a4fb6423b4209af469fff3cd0ec0715.jpg

THIS SO MUCH

People make fun of Gara/Gaara connection but dis bish right there is the most cringe-worthy jail-bait of a character in an anime that already has plenty of bad rep for its writing, especially in the name department (Kirisu... ffs...)

Gara is a cool sounding name, and since we have names like Harrow, Trinity, Ash or Valkyr whose connection to the actual themes of the frames are tangential at best, I really don't see a problem. Hell, even names like Banshee, Saryn, Mesa or Inaros are bit far-fetched if you don't have a good appreciation of what these names mean and their connotations. They were picked because they *sound* good and are sufficiently different from every other name in-game. Once again Inaros would have a lot more claim to the name Silica than the glass frame if we go by elemental make-up alone, and yet I think we all agree it wouldn't suit him at all.

Also Ethera is a really bad suggestion, ether has nothing to do with glass and the Ether weapons have nothing to do with glass either.

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Glassframe has a name and it's Gara

Out of all suggested names, their variants and combinations you picked this one? C'mon... It's not even about the most liked suggestions... Of course, to each their own, but... really? I can't even dig that name given the mentioned anime reasons on top of the posted comments regarding true origins and meaning behind the word/name.

disgstd.gif

56 minutes ago, Aeryes said:

I'm probably more disappointed in that name than the prospect of waiting another 10+ days. Worst name in all of Warframe.

I've got to agree with this one. I wasn't hyped at all, I didn't even set the bar of own expectations at all and yet I'm disappointed, wtf...

I think the biggest problem with the name Gara is that if you google it, the only things that come up are Anime and video game characters as well as the 'Global African Swine Fever Research Alliance' before all the results start going to different languages, namely French (I think?), which isn't even the language you're getting the shortened form of the word from.

The name has no basis on the flavor of the frame.  Not even on a slightly tangential note. 

3 hours ago, Thundervision said:

I can't even dig that name given the mentioned anime reasons on top of the posted comments

I just want to point out the fact Octavia is also the name of this character from My Little Pony.

latest?cb=20130918022352

As I said before, things will settle eventually. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to silence any opinions in my replies here, I'll reword if so.

37 minutes ago, Pyus said:

DE should have some native Japanese speakers take a look at this and see if it makes sense and is appropriate. When you mutilate a language and chop it up the result can be construed as insulting. 

Gara means gaudy in my language...

1 hour ago, Gabbynaru said:

Wait, Gara will be out before PoE with the quest release with PoE, or will she be out with PoE and the quest a week after?

Sorry for the dumb question, by the way.

She will be available for plat and her parts will be in drop tables, but her quest might come a bit after the update itself... Meaning you won't be able to build her.

7 minutes ago, MJ_GreenPL said:

Gara is a cool sounding name, and since we have names like Harrow, Trinity, Ash or Valkyr whose connection to the actual themes of the frames are tangential at best, I really don't see a problem. Hell, even names like Banshee, Saryn, Mesa or Inaros are bit far-fetched if you don't have a good appreciation of what these names mean and their connotations.

Harrow means to "torment or vex" and sounds similar to "hallow", both of which factor into the priest frame's design and elements.
Trinity calls to mind holiness in a similar manner (the holy trinity, etc) and similarly suggests a cleric style role.
Ash is a bit a dip, but relates to smoke (a theme among his skillset) and fire (which, while not a part of his skill-set, relates to the more violent brand of stealth he provides).
Valkyr is a condensation of "Valykrie", which were warrior angels of viking mythology, which suits well the story element of being 'resurrected' to fight again following Alad V's shenangains. It also captures the theme of being a fierce and vicious warrior with the connection to nordic mythos.

Banshee is very clear as a screaming spirit; Mesa suits the cowboy theme and Inaros was the name of an Egyptian king (two, in fact).

Gara is ガラ, two characters of the japanese phonetic syllabary katakana which is explicitly used to pronounce foreign words; one character short of the phonetic ガラス. Which is how they would pronounce the english word "glass". It's not offensive, it just doesn't make a lick of sense and poorly suits the frame from an identification standpoint.

6 minutes ago, LazerSkink said:

I just want to point out the fact Octavia is also the name of this character from My Little Pony.

Nah, you won't fool me!

Spoiler

Skoda-Octavia-II-CarscooP1.jpg

:tongue:

Like I said, to each their own, but I think the name is really out of place even without popular references :Y

15 minutes ago, MJ_GreenPL said:

Also Ethera is a really bad suggestion, ether has nothing to do with glass and the Ether weapons have nothing to do with glass either.

Not exactly. Look at the Ether weapons or show them to a random person and ask them what the blade might be made of.

Also, you can draw connections between Ether and Glass. Ether is another way to write Aether as in Luminiferous Aether which was for quite a while believed to be the medium that "transmit" light. And Glass allows light to pass through it. I know, it's a little vague but at least better than an anime reference

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

However the quest for Gara is likely going to be delayed by a week, due to a scheduling conflict with one of our key Ostron actors… however, because Gara is ready, she will be in the Market for those able to support us. If you cannot, that’s fine too - we’ll be adding Gara’s parts to the Cetus reward tables to give you a head start for when her quest does release.  We will follow with Gara's story as soon as it's ready if it doesn't make the release! 

This is a pretty terrible excuse to force plat purchases (as almost all DE excuses are - hema research cost not being fixed, riven cap not being increased, etc.). Although this is still not totally honest, it is better than "forgeting" to add the parts to loot table (e.g. that "mistake" with Nidus). Anyways, I was going to buy it on release, but now I'll just wait the week due to my disaproval of such practices.

Guest LoneTennoOperative#1

To be honest, Silica would've more suited Inaros, because it's related to sand, and not glass which is a construct of sand.
Gara doesn't sound like too bad of a name, but... I don't think it suits her.

Maybe something else altogether.

Ah, at glasst, I'll Soon (TM) be able to put the new frame in my landing craft's garage, and no, I won't sand any nudes of her, it's against the rulers rules. I think I'll name one of her builds Glassgow. I just hope she reflects well on Mirage. Also I feel like Nidus could be swapped with Gara, after all Glasst Gambit would Gara-ntee that the name fits well.

23 minutes ago, NekoWaffle said:

Harrow means to "torment or vex" and sounds similar to "hallow", both of which factor into the priest frame's design and elements.
Trinity calls to mind holiness in a similar manner (the holy trinity, etc) and similarly suggests a cleric style role.
Ash is a bit a dip, but relates to smoke (a theme among his skillset) and fire (which, while not a part of his skill-set, relates to the more violent brand of stealth he provides).
Valkyr is a condensation of "Valykrie", which were warrior angels of viking mythology, which suits well the story element of being 'resurrected' to fight again following Alad V's shenangains. It also captures the theme of being a fierce and vicious warrior with the connection to nordic mythos.

Banshee is very clear as a screaming spirit; Mesa suits the cowboy theme and Inaros was the name of an Egyptian king (two, in fact).

Gara is ガラ, two characters of the japanese phonetic syllabary katakana which is explicitly used to pronounce foreign words; one character short of the phonetic ガラス. Which is how they would pronounce the english word "glass". It's not offensive, it just doesn't make a lick of sense and poorly suits the frame from an identification standpoint.

Like I said, tangential at best. I do know what all of these names mean or are supposed to mean. Harrow relates more to the themes in the quest, the harrowing of experienced by Rell which itself draws parallels to the biblical Harrowing of Hell both in the name (Rell... Hell... hehe) and in themes seeing as Rell deeply sacrifices himself for us even though we're completely ignorant of it. Those themes are not really so obvious in the Harrow frame itself except for the subtle connection to sacrificing of shields with his 2nd ability. 
Trinity is only ever referred in the English language in relation to Holy Trinity. Except those things have nothing to do with Trinity. She's supposedly a cleric? Not really, 3/4 are about stealing and abusing enemies for the gain of her team, like a Vampire or Leech, hardly a holy thing to do. One of her alt helmets looks like an aurora? nothing about the rest of her design resembles anything of the sort though, without being told I wouldn't even know she's a healer just base don her looks.

Valkyr is a tortured/abused/mad Berserker whose themes relate to wild animals and savages. Not only does it have nothing to do with Valkyries, essentially Norse equivalent of an angel that judges and guides fallen warriors, it is also bloody misspelled- sorry, "condensed". If you're ok with that, I don't understand why you have a problem with Gara which as established is a "condensed" version of Garasu which is one of (and completely valid) words for glass in Japanese. No obscure connections and tangential themes, just straight up Glass in Japanese, shortened so it sounds more like a nickname and rolls off the tongue easily even in English.

Edited by MJ_GreenPL

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

While the Plains of Eidolon comes with its own map:

A roadmap appears to guide your continued journey to the Plains! Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Are we there yet? Almost!

Thank you everyone for your great patience as we put this all together,

Love,
DE Warframe Team!  

P.S This is a temporary subforum dedicated to all things Plains of Eidolon bugs & feedback when the time comes! Since it's so massive we wanted to carve out its own home. 

So, this is an "outer space Juggernaut" project and transformation, literally and metamorphically.

From procedurally generate map with four space ninja quick mission gameplay.... to ONE FREAKING GIANT STEPPPP to MMORPG like game. 

This is a very huge undertaking and ambition, that I have not known, or heard, of that any company has attempted before, or even in this way. But I have confidence... if any company that can pull thing like this off and be very successful, it would definitely be DE; knowing well about DE, Steve's team and WF.

Thank you for the gigantic hard works and passion!!!  

7 minutes ago, ndantony said:

So, this is an "outer space Juggernaut" project and transformation, literally and metamorphically.

From procedurally generate map with four space ninja quick mission gameplay.... to ONE FREAKING GIANT STEPPPP to MMORPG like game. 

This is a very huge undertaking and ambition, that I have not known, or heard, of that any company has attempted before, or even in this way. But I have confidence... if any company that can pull thing like this off and be very successful, it would definitely be DE; knowing well about DE, Steve's team and WF.

Thank you for the gigantic hard works and passion!!!  

PoE isn't a step towards MMORPG. It's just a step towards open world. Other than that, open world is definitely something that plenty of games have attempted. For a game that doesn't have that, to attempt that in the same game, and not in a sequel, is something I haven't seen another developer do. That said, open world isn't groundbreaking at this point, so I don't think it's too remarkable for DE. The big thing that's remarkable is that they're doing this with the size team that they have. What would also make it remarkable is if PoE has improved AI and a lot of NPC interaction (like non-Grineer combat and non-combat civilian NPCs interacting in the open world environment and not just in Cetus). That would truly be remarkable.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n