Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Roadmap: Glassframe Quest & the Plains of Eidolon!

[DE]Rebecca

Excluding the fact the character from anime was named Gaara, not Gara x3
Also names are names, they are not unique to just single character...

You could as well say Rhino name is unfortunate because it reminds you of "Rhino round-up" cartoon... or Frost is unfortunate because it reminds you of "Mr Frosty"....etc.

Edited by Sanxxieh

1 minute ago, Sanxxieh said:

Excluding the fact the character from anime was named Gaara, not Gara x3
Also names are names, they are not unique to just single character...

You could as well say Rhino name is unfortunate because it reminds you of "Rhino round-up" cartoon... or Frost is unfortunate because it reminds you of "Mr Frosty"....etc.

Prime Frost Mr. Frosty
Make this a meme

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Glassframe has a name and it's Gara

DE should have some native Japanese speakers take a look at this and see if it makes sense and is appropriate. When you mutilate a language and chop it up the result can be construed as insulting. 

2 minutes ago, Pyus said:

DE should have some native Japanese speakers take a look at this and see if it makes sense and is appropriate. When you mutilate a language and chop it up the result can be construed as insulting. 

Unless you are a native Japanese speaker, then claiming such a thing is insulting is condescending.

1 hour ago, BETAOPTICS said:

Well congrats dude, a life of joy I hope. That is way more important. Hey if it makes you any better, I spend my days on prepping on University exams so out of these two, I'd much rather be in your shoes. Now you can bask in the light that you could always have it worse. :P

Thank you and of course, was hoping to get some PoE done before I spend the weekend with my Wife but eh well, will have to sell my Sniper Rivens before

1 hour ago, Nomicakes said:

Garasu? You chose a Japanese man saying Glass in English? When SILICA was the most voted name?
Hell, if you had to go the Japanese route, you could have chosen Hari, which is the ACTUAL JAPANESE WORD FOR GLASS.

DE just got suckered into making a joke of themselves. All these creative names, and we get a Japanese person saying glass in English as a name.
Please reconsider. Go with the popular vote of Silica, or go for the ACTUAL Japanese word for glass, Hari.

Quite frankly, "Garasu" could be deemed mocking toward Japanese people who attempt to speak English.

100% agreed. Gara just feels like an all-around horrible name.

Warframe names typically give you a clear idea of the frame's theme (e.g. Excal = holy sword; Chroma = colours; Mirage = illusions 'n' stuff). Or they at least give something relevant to the frame's theme when inevitably googled (e.g. Vauban = a French engineer; Inaros = an ancient Egyptian rebellion leader; Saryn = sarin = horrifyingly nasty neurotoxin). Or they literally just state the theme itself (e.g. Mag, Volt, Rhino).

But glassframe's name isn't any of those things. It's not even "Garasu", which (despite toeing the line of political correctness that DE's normally been pretty good about) at least sounds like "glass". No, it's a shortened version of garasu-- which provides literally zero information to anyone sounding out the name, googling the name, or doing basically anything with the name besides reading this exact thread.

Seriously, please reconsider the name. Silica. Vitra. Hari. Hell, even just "Glass". Any of the well-liked suggestions in the Design Council. There's nothing wrong with her theme being obvious from the name, but there is something wrong with her name providing zero information about her theme.

Edited by SortaRandom

1 hour ago, Nomicakes said:

Garasu? You chose a Japanese man saying Glass in English? When SILICA was the most voted name?
Hell, if you had to go the Japanese route, you could have chosen Hari, which is the ACTUAL JAPANESE WORD FOR GLASS.

DE just got suckered into making a joke of themselves. All these creative names, and we get a Japanese person saying glass in English as a name.
Please reconsider. Go with the popular vote of Silica, or go for the ACTUAL Japanese word for glass, Hari.

Quite frankly, "Garasu" could be deemed mocking toward Japanese people who attempt to speak English.

"Garasu" is actually how one would write romaji version of English "glass" in Japanese and I don't know how's that mocking anyone. Japanese language like many other languages uses loanwords (old and new ones) and it's not uncommon to hear Japanese speaker uttering "garasu" ( ガラス) instead of hari (玻璃). I would prefer Garasu over Gara because it's similar to another Japanese word "Karasu" - crow (just add some fashionframe wings and voilà!).

I don't understand why are getting so worked up over this.

Also because of SAO Silica will always remind me of this girl:

3a4fb6423b4209af469fff3cd0ec0715.jpg