The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tough love for Gara. (Please don't name her Gara)

Rhubarber

9 minutes ago, SeriouslySinister said:

What? Embers are the smoldering remains of a fire, frost is frozen water vapor, volt is the unit for electric potential. Those names are just as bad. 

They're not just translated words, which is the case with Gara(su). That's the difference. If you call your sword "Seef" (Somalian word for sword) or "Ken" (Japanese), the name of your sword is still sword.

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16

I'll just add my thoughts.  That word pronounced Garasu or shortened to Gara, in the english language, doesn't convey anything to me about female Aztec warrior or "sturdy yet brittle" or "clear and sharp".  Also it doesn't sound attractive to me when pronounced (gay-ra / gah-ra)

Edited by robbybe01234

On 10/5/2017 at 10:47 PM, SeriouslySinister said:

What? Embers are the smoldering remains of a fire, frost is frozen water vapor, volt is the unit for electric potential. Those names are just as bad. 

The names aren't bad and I don't understand why you believe them to be. What is it, that you enjoy super-overly complicated long names like 'Inisladitata'?

2 hours ago, (PS4)ArtPrince17 said:

The names aren't bad and I don't understand why you believe them to be. What is it, that you enjoy super-overly complicated long names like 'Inisladitata'?

I DON'T actually think they are bad. I'm one to get annoyed at books where everyone in it has a name that just so happens to match their personality or job but that doesn't apply to warframes (in which it makes sense people would name them like that).  That comment was directed at people who think this warframes name is too on the nose when that is normal for this game. 

Personally I would have preferred just Glass to Gara but i don't mind either. 

Edited by SeriouslySinister

On 10/5/2017 at 7:57 PM, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

They're not just translated words, which is the case with Gara(su). That's the difference. If you call your sword "Seef" (Somalian word for sword) or "Ken" (Japanese), the name of your sword is still sword.

Can't even call it translated really, it's just english "glass" with a japanese pronunciation, with the back end cut off... Gla

7 hours ago, SeriouslySinister said:

I DON'T actually think they are bad. I'm one to get annoyed at books where everyone in it has a name that just so happens to match their personality or job but that doesn't apply to warframes (in which it makes sense people would name them like that).  That comment was directed at people who think this warframes name is too on the nose when that is normal for this game. 

Personally I would have preferred just Glass to Gara but i don't mind either. 

Ah okay. Sorry for the mix-up.

On 10/4/2017 at 8:59 PM, Nakrast said:

@Rhubarber it's just a name, i would rather have a plain name and a spicy gameplay, like be real, it's a damn name, who even seriusly cares about it at the end? 

Lol ikr people are still just gonna say "hey you guys use glassframe" "yeah glassframe is great at defense"

Edited by Kagemitsukenshi

On 10/5/2017 at 8:41 PM, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

You cant argue that warframes were'nt called by their respective element, then mention ember and frost (also hurting my feelings by not mentioning volt) and then say they dont count. You just refuted your own argument, and your going to have to do better than just saying they dont count, because they do indeed count, or you wouldnt have mentioned them. And if you didnt mention them, someone else surely would have, as i did with volt...

So...

The point I made is that we've come a long way. They do count, but they're not strong names which is why I didn't include them. It's too late to change their names so why bother? The point being made in tandem with Mag, Volt, Ember and Frost is that Gara is a step back toward the less inspired names, but only making the lateral move of changing the language. They count in showing how far we've come, but not in showing the creativity that the team posseses.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, Shad0wWatcher said:

But...the one in Naturo is called Gaara which is pronounced literally how you type it, this is Gara and from what i heard they pronounce it as "Gar-ra"...pretty different in my ears.

When they've said her name it literally sounds the same to me. I mean unless you're talking about japanese dubs in which, I don't really know.