The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which gear is Overhyped, Deserving or Underrated?

(PSN)Chel-El

I think Zephyr his highly underrated in terms of utility.

Some of the most fun I have is with a melee zephyr with 14 range turbulence and divebomb vortex.

Turbulence with such a high radius lets you get into the thick of the enemies which also suppresses their fire at your allies. Any bullet that passes through your turbulence goes off course, they don't have to be aiming at you and your allies don't have to be inside the radius, so you being in the middle of them effectively cancels out their ranged attacks. So its like a highly offensive defense.

Also divebomb vortex, ppl don't seem to realize that you don't need to jump high up in the air in order for it to cc. All you have to do is jump up 1 inch then press 2, and it ragdolls and throws around everything in a huge radius. This is good synergy with melee cause it pulls them to you and makes you deal finisher damage to them.

This excellent CC + turbulence makes zephyr able to revive allies even when swarmed with enemies. Go to allie, jump, press 2, revive them with impunity.

Excellent solo, excellent in groups.

My build: https://goo.gl/yrNTS8

Zephyr.png

Edited by Hokibukisa

Over hyped: soma prime. Don't get me wrong. It's a great weapon, but it just lacks umph, plus there are other weapons that kill way faster. Still the best for mowing down crowds of fodder imo though.

Deserving: Tigris prime. Yeah that's right I said it. This thing is not over hyped by any means. Now I'll come out and say I am partial to shotguns so there is a bit of bias, but even still this thing is just insane. Huge damage combined with great status. If you want to delete an enemy, this gun will do it.

The regular hek and vaykor Hek. Particularly the regular hek. The regular hek is so strong for being such an early game weapon that can destroy enemies even with a basic mod setup. Many people recommend it to newer players and it's more than worthy of it even w/o the augment.

Underrated: the ferrox. This thing is surprisingly good. It's like a discount Lanka with a much faster fire rate but lower damage. With argon scope and good aim you can gun down enemies real quick. Plus it has some decent cc.

As far as frames, all primes are overrated imo. Sure the boost to stats are nice but they aren't game changing. It really comes down to visual appeal I'm.

Edited by nickelshark
Added frames

Overrated Frames: Ember (Prime), Ivara, Loki (Prime), Mirage, Nidus, Nova (Prime), Rhino (Prime), Trinity (Prime), Valkyr (Prime)

These frames are the most popular of the bunch mostly because they have some cheesy mechanics that pretty much trivializes some of the game’s content. They are also incredibly popular and you would see these frames very often in random groups. You literally see these frames everyday except maybe Ivara since most of the player base are solo.

Good Amount of Attention: Banshee (Prime), Chroma, Equinox, Excalibur (Prime), Frost (Prime), Harrow, Hydroid (Prime), Inaros, Limbo, Mesa, Nekros (Prime), Oberon (Prime), Saryn (Prime), Titania, Vauban (Prime), Volt (Prime), Zephyr

These frames have a very dedicated and fairly large player base but aren’t too overwhelming except Excalibur who is the starter frame. These frames remain tried and true to their function and are very fun but aren’t as popular are the frames mentioned above. You will occasionally see these frames but not all the time.

Underrated: Ash (Prime), Atlas, Mag (Prime), Nezha, Nyx (Prime), Wukong

These are the frames I rarely see at all. I don’t see Ash’s very often anymore after his Bladestorm Nerf. Atlas is a fun frame that no one ever plays. I have never seen an Atlas after 1 year of constantly grinding at this game. Mag is a frame that has grown some popularity recently but I don’t think there are enough players to make her worthy of her attention. I see Nezha very occasionally but usually when I do see a Nezha, it’s with a coordinated team. Nyx is one that I see very often but that’s usually only because I play her. Otherwise, she’s very rare. Wukong is very rare. He’s usually played by a low MR player who doesn’t have Rage and dies all the time. Yeah, he’s still super rare.

4 hours ago, Hokibukisa said:

I think Zephyr his highly underrated in terms of utility.

Some of the most fun I have is with a melee zephyr with 14 range turbulence and divebomb vortex.

Turbulence with such a high radius lets you get into the thick of the enemies which also suppresses their fire at your allies. Any bullet that passes through your turbulence goes off course, they don't have to be aiming at you and your allies don't have to be inside the radius, so you being in the middle of them effectively cancels out their ranged attacks. So its like a highly offensive defense.

Also divebomb vortex, ppl don't seem to realize that you don't need to jump high up in the air in order for it to cc. All you have to do is jump up 1 inch then press 2, and it ragdolls and throws around everything in a huge radius. This is good synergy with melee cause it pulls them to you and makes you deal finisher damage to them.

This excellent CC + turbulence makes zephyr able to revive allies even when swarmed with enemies. Go to allie, jump, press 2, revive them with impunity.

Excellent solo, excellent in groups.

My build: https://goo.gl/yrNTS8

Zephyr.png

Build a proper turbulence and jet stream Zephyr and you breath through any PoE content, Dive Bomb, Tail Wind who needs that?

Test out 175% + strength turbulence with jet stream.

20 hours ago, TwistedDee said:

Build a proper turbulence and jet stream Zephyr and you breath through any PoE content, Dive Bomb, Tail Wind who needs that?

Test out 175% + strength turbulence with jet stream.

I've done that too but honestly I like divebomb vortex too much, so much fun xD.

Can't wait to max out Void Static and Void Singularity

I think many posters above confused overrated (rated, valued, or estimated too highly) with popular (commonly liked or approved).

How can anyone sane use adjective overrated in conjunction with Trinity (permanent 75% damage reduction and unlimited energy, both apply for the entire team) or Tigris Prime (50k damage + 17 status procs per shot)? They are popular for a reason and absolutely deserve the praise.

Sadly, a lot of the gear that I personally consider underrated belong to this class only because good rivens or stances turned out otherwise pretty weak gear into a top tier (Synapse only with damage+multishot+CD/CC riven, Kohm with 120%SC+multishot riven, Gazal Machete only with Cyclone Kraken etc.). 

2 hours ago, saradonin said:

I think many posters above confused overrated (rated, valued, or estimated too highly) with popular (commonly liked or approved).

This...a lot of the popular stuff isn't overrated, it's popular for a good reason. Ivara for example is popular for spy missions because she's a true goddess at it. 

On 10/16/2017 at 11:22 PM, Jackviator said:

In trying to make the game less boring by getting through missions quickly, she actually causes more boredom in the long run because you have nothing to do. (Not to mention her habit of making the squad dislike you in PuGs due to making it a boring slog for the rest of them).

A close second goes to Maiming Strike builds for the same reasons. An expensive as hell mod that adds +10 burnout potential. You're only slightly more involved in that scenario; crouch + forward + E to the exit, or in a lot of cases, macro macro macro your way to the exit.

Underrated: Snipers. 

there’s prolly lines between popular/efficient,  overtuned/overrated that are getting crossed here. 

but this post sums up how too efficient can also get boring and stale and thus crosses over to overtuned and overrated for some of us 

with tigris I experienced this.  I know I’m getting quick kills but I feel unengaged using it, like an unliving sentry turret just turning, pointing and clicking with guaranteed results.

i don’t mind metas and cheese strats (limbo helps me a lot), and there’s subjectivity involved here ofc. some just like efficiency over excitement or vice versa

snipers require energy/work and this is what makes them engaging and fun. they’re not the most effiecient though so they’re undervalued lol