Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Warframe Forum Reactions!

[DE]Danielle

14 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

It's funny that people are so bent out of shape about the lack of ''negative'' reactions. As if you need to have a negative emoji?

Nobody is stopping you from leaving a comment. Has contributing become so difficult that we need to rely on a button to do it for us?

By that logic, there's no need for positive reactions either.

20 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

I'd also seen it used on posts where the member's first language wasn't English. Laughing faces, sad faces, confused faces in those instances don't help.

Overall, I'm not sorry to see them gone.

I'm not sure how not having english as your first language would affect comprehension of emoticons, but whatever.  But the absence of them on the "like bar" (lets just call it that) isn't that much of an issue to me.  I just made an offhand comment.

30 minutes ago, Insizer said:

I'm not sure how not having english as your first language would affect comprehension of emoticons, but whatever.  But the absence of them on the "like bar" (lets just call it that) isn't that much of an issue to me.  I just made an offhand comment.

Someone posts something in broken english that is confusing or illegible, and then receives a whole bunch of confused and laughing emoticons instead of actual attempts to understand what they mean.

1 hour ago, Insizer said:

I laughed out loud at your comment. It was funny and valid at the same time. My counterpoint was I've seen exactly what rapt0rman describes below:

37 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

Someone posts something in broken english that is confusing or illegible, and then receives a whole bunch of confused and laughing emoticons instead of actual attempts to understand what they mean.

A lot of the time I'm not even saying anyone is wrong (and if I am, I'll more likely say it explicitly), I just like raising another point or side that others might not see. 

On 10/7/2017 at 7:00 PM, AdunSaveMe said:

It's funny that people are so bent out of shape about the lack of ''negative'' reactions. As if you need to have a negative emoji?

Nobody is stopping you from leaving a comment. Has contributing become so difficult that we need to rely on a button to do it for us?

The problem is that often, opinions expressing disappointment or displeasure with something are buried or overlooked, especially when it comes to feedback directed at Dev Posts. Often, the only way for disappointment and displeasure to be seen by the devs is if people can use the upvote system to voice that, hence why people used the Confused and Sad emotes. Take for example the Focus rework dev workshop. Much of the feedback there asked for changes to the way Operator abilities worked because they were based on a very clunky Operator movement system. While DE gave the Operators a slide ability and let them have the momentum of the Warframes, they didn't change Void Dash and its link to Void Mode, which is a clunky ability for a lot of players. Expressing disappointment and displeasure through the upvote system, and then going into detail with their actual responses to the thread, informed DE that people had problems with what was presented. The expressions of being Sad or Confused were backed up by actual constructive feedback. The reactions were a sort of first indicator that players had issues, and at least makes DE aware of that. Without them, DE probably won't ever see that some people aren't satisfied with something because, let's face it, they aren't going to read through 100 responses to a thread. It's already bad enough that when there is a lot of feedback expressing displeasure for something, DE often doesn't even look at that (I think that's clear enough by how much constructive feedback was ignored when it came to their Focus changes).

Besides that, it's a bit too convenient that the website would undergo an icon change after a few DE posts (particularly, the Focus dev workshop and 3-day PoE stream announcement last week) received a lot of Sad and Confused emotes. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I doubt it. This change doesn't seem to me to be an attempt to foster "good discussion" (as someone else suggested this change would do), but instead an attempt to hide a very visible sign of dissatisfaction with a dev post.

Regarding the use of reactions anyway, yes, likes and dislikes are basic visual displays of agreement or disagreement, of satisfaction or dissatisfaction, that don't really contribute to a discussion on their own. But they are clear indicators of reactions to a post, that are usually backed up by people actually commenting on a thread. And it's just a good indicator to see how well a post is being received. As someone who occasionally posts up threads offering new feature suggestions, it's a good indicator of whether or not people like the ideas I'm presenting and whether or not I should continue doing that (for example, if a suggested change to a feature is overwhelmingly received negatively, then I'd probably not make another thread suggesting a change to the feature, because it wouldn't really be received well). Certainly, like/dislike buttons don't contribute much to discussions. The ideal would be to have no reactions at all. BUT, if we are to have positive reactions, then we should absolutely have negative reactions.

Regardless, that's not the actual issue, nor the reason certain individuals don't want a dislike button. It's easy to just block a user if you want to hide their disagreeing or dissatisfied post. Then you can never see their expressions of disagreement or disappointment. And you can block as many people as you like who disagree with you. But you can't hide their sad or confused emotes that express disappointment or dislike for a post. So, if you change that system, such that you can only display positive attitudes toward a thread/post, then you effectively hide a very clear numerical indicator of how many people like or have some issue (whether disappointment or confusion) with a thread/post. And by doing that, you hide just how many people disapprove. I think that is the real reason why some people don't want negative reactions (not referring to you, btw, just other people who have complained about negative reactions).

This makes the forums worse, imo, especially when it comes to responding to DE's proposed changes to features. What this change to reactions will do is that it'll present the perception that everything DE puts up is universally liked by the community. If the forums create that perception, then DE is much less likely to actually engage with and respond to negative sentiment and constructive feedback. That is not ok at all.

TL;DR: I understand not having negative reactions for most user threads, but I think the real reason for their removal is so that there is no visible sign of dissatisfaction towards Dev posts, and I think that's in response to recent dev posts that received many negative reactions. I think this is a convenient way to hide a visible sign of dissatisfaction towards dev posts. I think that ideally, there should be no reactions on user threads, but if we're going to have positive reactions, then we should have negative ones as well.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

On 10/8/2017 at 10:26 AM, rapt0rman said:

Fair enough.  I didn't consider that.

On 10/8/2017 at 11:08 AM, Rhekemi said:

I laughed out loud at your comment. It was funny and valid at the same time. My counterpoint was I've seen exactly what rapt0rman describes below:

I aim to please.