Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playing with a mouse and keyboard

(PSN)watt4hem

Question

How? I mean, how can you people move around so fast with a mouse and keyboard?

I wanna try and get into pc warframe and try out PoE (and the other contents) from a newbie's pov, but i ended up dead because i both move sluggishly, and aim like a grandma trying to put a string through a needle eye...

Are there any preferable key-bindings you use? Or is it just a 'get better with time' kinda thing?

Sidenote, i've grown up playing consoles, the only pc game i played a little were boardgames..

You simply need to get used to playing on kb+m.

The default binds are generally good-enough for the vast majority of players though I personally try to have every action have dedicated key instead of context-sensitive tap/hold/doubletap abominations, hence e.g. my roll key is "V" instead of the default double-tap shift or movement keys.

I grew up on consoles as well. Just got my PC last Christmas to be honest. I was playing Warframe on consoles back when it first came out, and that was my introduction to the game

From my perspective, it's a 'get better the more you play' thing. I personally use WASD, even though everyone tells me to use TGFH, but the former is more suited for a newer PC player. It did take me some time to figure out the keyboard and mouse, but now it's really just muscle memory

Don't worry if it's difficult to learn or adapt, you'll learn soon enough. I still mess up on my abilities because I have then bound to "1 2 3 4 5", and in the heat of battle I don't look at the number so I motion my finger up hoping I'm pressing 1, which most of the time I am, but still. makes for some stressful moments. :smile:

But if you want, PC Warframe is fully compatible with a controller, so no worries there if you just can't get the hang of it

I find this funny purely because I have literally never understood how people play WF on anything but a kb+m. And that was before controllers started running out of buttons.

Its mostly a practice makes perfect kinda thing OP, but I'd suggest adjusting your keybindings etc to suit you and make things easier/more comfortable.

First, if your aiming is slow you might want to boost your mouse sensitivity. 

Second, key bindings. I can tell you first that if all the keys you use for movement are on the same hand you'll have a much easier time. I use WASD for movement, so I have shift for crouch, Ctrl for sprint, and space for jump. I kept E for melee. 

Third, technique. Just running isn't going to get you places as quickly as combining it with parkour. This'll come with practice, but try to creep movement flowing. Start with a running (or sliding) Bullet Jump (jump from a crouch or slide), and at the apex of it jump again, getting a bit more distance. Aim Glide (aim, default RMB) on your way down, and just before you hit the ground roll or slide to avoid a hard landing that stops you dead. Maybe add a melee attack to get that little extra distance, or use a Dash power. 

You won't get it perfect right away, but as you use it you'll get used to it and be able to chain things together flawlessly. Good luck!

if you are having trouble change the keybinding slightly
i for myself have to say only thing i ever changed is i swapped G and F but that's it
for abilities i use the thumb button on my Mad Catz MMO 7
but the speed is the same even with a different keyboard and different mouse
for the mouse you can adjust the sensitivity to your liking and if u want slowly but surely increase them over time

its more of a get used to the keys, know where they are, and yeah get better with time

I'm just sitting here and thinking how the f*ck can u console guys aim and hit anything with those sticks ?
for me a controller stick has only 5 setting (up, down, left right, don't touch it) nothing in between
its horrible

but if u want to join the masterrace and finally experience pure and beautiful fps you can just connect your controller to the pc and play the same way your used to

You can get used to anything.

Hek, since quite a while ago now I've grown to love my mouse + controller combo
(not only for shooters but also e.g. Diablo type games, fitting lotsa shortcuts on ~half a controller is far from impossible),
quick, precision aiming and comfortable movement (also yay rumble in some games), best of both worlds :D

Learn how to press shift and control with your pinky at the same time and you'll be 90% there

I also like binding roll to alt

Then bullet jump, double jump, roll.
Or slide + roll. It's important to roll the moment you start sliding for maximum boost

Edited by tbeest

I don't want to say it's entirely a "get better the more you do it" thing, but it's a "get better the more you do it" thing.

I'm a lefty, so my movement is bound to IJKL - this is actually the optimal location for a left-handed player to bind movement in all games that use the mouse-look, keyboard-move paradigm with the exception of minecraft.

A useful key-bind swaps are: Bind your melee to Mouse button, if you don't use channel. This way, you don't have to spam E when you have your melee equipped.
Also, swap out... Uh... I think it's G and X, where X is normally the use button and G is the waypoint button. G is much easier for a use button, and you don't need to mark stuff that much. 

As to the actual playing with mouse and keyboard - make sure your mouse sensitivity is something you feel comfortable with, because that plays a large role in keeping the movement flowing and seamless. Too sensitive and you'll disorient yourself, too little and it feels sluggish.

I trust you do know the movement tricks to get around faster? Like, rolling and aerial maneuvers?

21 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

How? I mean, how can you people move around so fast with a mouse and keyboard?

I wanna try and get into pc warframe and try out PoE (and the other contents) from a newbie's pov, but i ended up dead because i both move sluggishly, and aim like a grandma trying to put a string through a needle eye...

Are there any preferable key-bindings you use? Or is it just a 'get better with time' kinda thing?

Sidenote, i've grown up playing consoles, the only pc game i played a little were boardgames..

its definitely a "get better with time" thing.

if you dont want to spend hours getting good at kb+m you can also look into using your controller of choice on the PC build. warframe has realy good PC controller support. 

I cheat somewhat with a gaming mouse so I bind my powers to the aux buttons which gets rid of the confusion involved in trying to move and cast. The default keybindings are fine but the can have your hands sore after a while from so much sprinting and bullet jumping. I've played it long enough that my left pinky is distinctly stronger than my right.

You pretty much need to keep at it. It's obviously a very different system from controllers and analogue sticks. Don't mess with the sensitivity or anything until you get comfortable with using them, otherwise, you might push your sensitivity too high. Over time though, you'll end up being able to move and aim faster and more accurately than any controller is capable of. 

44 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

I find this funny purely because I have literally never understood how people play WF on anything but a kb+m. And that was before controllers started running out of buttons.

They don't play warframe, they play a game that looks like warframe but with completely different gameplay.

i can only play pc with a controller... tried kb+m (been building/using comp since 1980)(kb+m, gamepad, joysticks, flight sticks, wheels....  trackballs) what i have found

the sensitivity settings for mouse suck &#!...  every other game i play on pc, no problems... and that includes many other fps/3rdps... load up WF and it is horrible...  go to set up everything while in ship, go to mission and EVERYTHING feels like it is a snails pace...   setup things for in mission, get back in ship....  i've seen entitlement snowflakes that cry over everything that are less touchy... ie bump the mouse and doing 360's... VERY disorienting...  

however fiddle with stupid 3rd party software to get ps4 controller working on pc... copy my settings from console, minor +adj....   and if not for the smaller screen...  feels exactly like playing on console.

i would much rather play w/kb+m on pc, but until they can fix the sensitivity BS, between in ship and in mission... i'll stay with my controller

Thank you to all that posted! (Honestly couldn't keep track with all the names to quote each one).

I'll try the several key bindings here, and also get a better feel to kbm.

To the guy who don't know how we use controllers, well, every button is within fingers reach so it's generally easier for me, at least. Aiming is something i develop since i bought a ps4 backbin late 2014 iirc, beforehand i rarely play shooters at all, wether it bevon console or pc.

Hold W (forward) with your middle finger, use little finger to hold Ctrl (crouch) and then tap Space (jump) with your thumb. Use little finger to hold Shift (sprint) when you need to between bulletjumps and tap it to roll in air while aimgliding.

Simple :)

1 hour ago, JuicyButthurt said:

, hence e.g. my roll key is "V" instead of the default double-tap shift or movement keys.

You just tap Shift to roll, you don't doubletap.

Edited by Acersecomic

1 hour ago, (PS4)Whattamattu said:

i've seen entitlement snowflakes that cry over everything that are less touchy... ie bump the mouse and doing 360's... VERY disorienting...

Heh, remember UT? Another game DE was involved in the development of, and you could literally bind a single key to "spin 180, swap to this weapon, fire, spin another 180, and swap back" (and none of this fancy "gaming mouse" stuff; it was native to the game). Sadly, I no longer have the reflexes I did in that era (and motion blur wasn't really a thing back then), so I'd find that very disorienting now.

To chime in with the choir, practice makes perfect. I've been playing shooters since Wolfenstein 3D, back when we still used arrow keys for movement and CTRL to fire (yes, I'm old), and I do play some PC games with a gamepad. However, in Warframe, despite my wife having much faster reflexes than mine, I use KB+M, she uses a gamepad, and I routinely run circles around her (only occasionally literally by using my Nezha and activating Fire Walker).

A while back, Sony actually experimented with a controller that had a trackball in place of the right thumb-stick; reportedly, they decided not to commercialize it because it gave too much of an advantage (and a mouse is a lot faster and more precise than a trackball). You might try a trackball instead of a mouse to aim, since it's closer to thumb-stick control, but it's mostly a matter of practice. Or, as has been remarked by others, there are PC-compatible gamepads out there, and Warframe does have support for that; I personally use the very basic option of a wireless XBox 360 controller when I want to play with a gamepad (I just rarely do it in Warframe because I'd be infuriated by my lack of fire accuracy).

I’ve started another thread yesterday as a new player coming from a lifelong console background only gaming with a controller. I was asking for advice for using a controller. 

I’ve instead decided to learn m/k, It’s gonna be a long road but Warframe is such an amazing game so I might as well learn it right from the beginning. 

But the more tips the merrier :)

What l can’t grasp is how the pinky is able to reach Ctrl? 

My setup today is:

Movement: WASD

melee E

Running rolling SHIFT 

use side mouse button for slide/crouch

powers 1234, but always hitting the wrong one...

would love to use Q for something useful?

Have a mouse with 2 side buttons. 

Would love to hear how you set up your mouse and use the scroll wheel for anything else than changing weapons or power ?

Melee channeling is hard to grasp, why even use it, double damage?  On the controller quick melee and melee was the same key?

Yeah it’s a long road ahead I suppose but the community seems brilliant and helpful so I’ll stick to my new challenge of breaking everything thing down after 30 years of gamepad....

16 minutes ago, 2old4gamez said:

..or plug in a compatible controller.

That’s how I’ve been playing the last couple of days and it’s been great but I can see that there are some limitations further down the road  with more complex frames.  Also everyone seems to say that you can’t find a perfect solution as it is now you will always miss some movements or do you have a solution ? :)

Also you can’t use all the menus with the controller you’ll need the mouse for some menus, which is really strange.