The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Destiny players discovering Warframe, mind blown..?!

I-OD

I discovered Warframe about 2 years ago. I had gotten burned out on Destiny and was looking for something different. I was actually looking for a free-to-play space sim, similar to Elite Dangerous, Everspace and Star Citizen. Couldn't find one so I started thumbing through the Xbox store, seeing what else was available. Warframe popped up, and even though it was another shooter instead of a spaceflight sim, I thought I'd give it a go.

Coming from Destiny's (relatively) limited mobility, Warframe was disorienting for a while. I couldn't follow what I was doing because the character was moving all over the place. It was too fast. But, after acclimating to it I found I really liked just how easy it is to move. The ability to mod your gear to suit your style is much more preferable to me than having random stat rolls and always grinding for the gun that feels "right" to you. Ultimately, I played for a week or 2, then went back to Destiny, and continued this tick-tock pattern until Destiny's last DLC came out. Burned through it with my buddies, then moved into the finale Age of Triumph stuff. After that was more or less done, my buddies quit in favor of Overwatch and Rainbow 6, and I found other non-gaming things to do.

Fast forward to August 2017. Destiny 2 beta comes out for PC. I played and ultimately was not impressed, but pre-ordered anyway because my buddies were all getting it, we have a clan, etc. blah blah blah. Afterwards I needed something to do until D2 launched. I didn't really want to go back to the Xbox though. I didn't play Destiny anymore and the only other game I had was Warframe, which I hadn't really touched in a while and knew I could get on PC. But I booted up Warframe anyway and was reminded of just how good this game is.

I decided I didnt want to progress any further on Xbox. Warframe was my alternate game, but it was going to be my only game until D2 came out, so I turned on my PC, downloaded Warframe and started all over again. What took me 2 years of intermittent play on Xbox was blitzed in just a few weeks. I made it as far as The Second Dream before, and I'm finishing up Natah again right now.

Anyway, TLDNR: I tried Warframe as an alternative to Destiny, and it ended up becoming my primary game. After the disappointment I keep hearing about D2, it might be the alternate game that I only play with friends when they want to. Warframe's more my style anyway.

20 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

I discovered Warframe about 2 years ago. I had gotten burned out on Destiny and was looking for something different. I was actually looking for a free-to-play space sim, similar to Elite Dangerous, Everspace and Star Citizen. Couldn't find one so I started thumbing through the Xbox store, seeing what else was available. Warframe popped up, and even though it was another shooter instead of a spaceflight sim, I thought I'd give it a go.

Coming from Destiny's (relatively) limited mobility, Warframe was disorienting for a while. I couldn't follow what I was doing because the character was moving all over the place. It was too fast. But, after acclimating to it I found I really liked just how easy it is to move. The ability to mod your gear to suit your style is much more preferable to me than having random stat rolls and always grinding for the gun that feels "right" to you. Ultimately, I played for a week or 2, then went back to Destiny, and continued this tick-tock pattern until Destiny's last DLC came out. Burned through it with my buddies, then moved into the finale Age of Triumph stuff. After that was more or less done, my buddies quit in favor of Overwatch and Rainbow 6, and I found other non-gaming things to do.

Fast forward to August 2017. Destiny 2 beta comes out for PC. I played and ultimately was not impressed, but pre-ordered anyway because my buddies were all getting it, we have a clan, etc. blah blah blah. Afterwards I needed something to do until D2 launched. I didn't really want to go back to the Xbox though. I didn't play Destiny anymore and the only other game I had was Warframe, which I hadn't really touched in a while and knew I could get on PC. But I booted up Warframe anyway and was reminded of just how good this game is.

I decided I didnt want to progress any further on Xbox. Warframe was my alternate game, but it was going to be my only game until D2 came out, so I turned on my PC, downloaded Warframe and started all over again. What took me 2 years of intermittent play on Xbox was blitzed in just a few weeks. I made it as far as The Second Dream before, and I'm finishing up Natah again right now.

Anyway, TLDNR: I tried Warframe as an alternative to Destiny, and it ended up becoming my primary game. After the disappointment I keep hearing about D2, it might be the alternate game that I only play with friends when they want to. Warframe's more my style anyway.

Thanks for sharing your story. :)

I´m so looking forward to this weekend getting back into the game again, Autumn looks promising here in Sweden!

10 hours ago, (PS4)s3d_sas said:

There's only me who can use clem :clem: 

:clem: :clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem:

TRY ME

:clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem::clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem: :clem:

Edited by Bellesk
Fixed Clem

Welcome fam. Yeah destiny 2 was disappointing. The dumbing down of the classes was the biggest let down for me. Compared to Warframe the class customization and appearance customization feels so restricted and basic. I also find myself trying to aim glide all the time as well:crylaugh:

• 1 month later...

Update after 100 hours + in mission!

Still in love with the game, actually it´s officially my new hobby!!

Going through as many dev streams as possible when not playing the game. Damn how transparent they are in how they share information, And Rebecca is so good, the whole community team is amazing but she´s a natural, inspiring!

Grinded the event last weekend, hanging out on the Warframe discord channel which is lot´s of fun!

Next short term goals are finish unlocking the planets, the war within quest, mastery rank 12 (half through 10 now) so that i can get the Tigris Prime unlocked and also the Hex from the steel syndicate, got this crazy riven which has 2 positive stats, think I got really lucky and want to try it out!

Will continue to make new friends online and slowly dig deeper in the lore of the game, if any one way any tips on that part for some fun reading or YouTube stuff please share. 

One bad thing coming out of all this is that a couple of my old Destiny clan mates thinks i´m in a sect and getting brainwashed because they don´t think Warframe and it´s community can be this good. ("the brainwashed do not know they are getting brainwashed").

Edited by I-OD
I´m Swedish

40 minutes ago, I-OD said:

One bad thing coming out of all this is that a couple of my old Destiny clan mates thinks i´m in a sect and getting brainwashed because they don´t think Warframe and it´s community can be this good. ("the brainwashed do not know they are getting brainwashed").

You didn't get your black robes yet ?

I used to be an huge Destiny 1 fan, I played an amount of ~1000 hours since the release date and I purchased all the DLC.

I tried Warframe years ago when the game was still young and I played it only 5/6 hours and left it, then I re-played it after a couple of years and I played it for like 200 hours before leave it for a long time.

Then, I purchased Destiny 2, I played the main campaign plus some other optional stuff, but after only 20 hours I rage-quitted it and I don't want to look back.

I hate to drops weapon in Destiny that turns into trash just few hours of game later and things like that.

So, I re-downloaded Warframe and now I have over 800 hours of gameplay and with this pace I'm gonna taking over the amount of played hours in Destiny 1 soon.

What I love of Warframe is the CONTINUITY and the EVOLUTION of the game. I can collect warframes and weapons and make them better and beautiful day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year! It's really gratifying to see the results of countless hours of farming and mastery tests, your start as a noob and later you are a god capable of eliminating hordes of enemies and revive/defend your fellow tennos.

Warframe is in a continuous improvement process and we (the gamers) are part of it, and they (DE) hear us and try their best to make us happy... this is laudable! I never seen a game with such a great community integration and support.

Let me give the other perspective of someone with 3,700 hours of Warframe trying Destiny 2.

It's fun to play.  I like when you're moving around the various zones you encounter other and you can all band together as an Ad Hoc group doing public events.

But really................... no chat except in fireteams!  No clan chat even.

If you want to do a raid you have to use an external app to try and get a team going WTF!!!

Assuming you don't have a friends list of players and the option to allow strangers to message you is turned off by default you're not likely to get many.

Weapons and armour pieces drop randomly.

I miss being able to Mod my weapons and armour.

I like it as a light and fluffy change to Warframes grind it's fun, and the PvP which I normally avoid feels quite balanced and reasonably fun too.

There's room in my life for both games

Edited by Sabreracer

On 10/12/2017 at 1:34 AM, I-OD said:

Yeah, I’m one of them... Ignored Warframe for years as I thought it was a bad free to play game. After realizing that D2 don’t give you any initiative to continue playing once you hit end game.

I felt unsatisfied so I’ve started to look if there weren’t any other game who could actually propose what Destiny 2 should have been and ended up watching Skill Ups review of Warframe,  got intrigued and downloaded it last week.

I'm actually in somewhat of an opposite boat.  My friends want me to play Destiny 2.  I tinkered around with the beta, and aside from more fun PvP (which I can sate with Overwatch- which we all play), I really can't see a reason to play D2 over Warframe.  Warframe has more mobility, more weapons, more "classes" (I realize each of the 3 D2 classes can be built in different ways, but I doubt the meaningful variety there approaches Warframe's 34 distinct frames).  D2's Gunplay might be a little better, I'm not sure, but even if it is, it's not so much better than it makes up for difference in mobility (which is IMHO one of the most fun things about Warframe).

I'm a little worried you might eventually wind up in the same spot you were in with D2, though.  Reading the forums it seems a lot of players are unsatisfied with Warframe's "End Game" or lack thereof.  As for me, I just enjoy running and bullet jumping through corridors, shooting bad guys in the face, I don't need an "end game" to justify it.  =D

When I first got my PS4, I tried Warframe, I got Volt, used the Paris and Bo (MK1 Version) and had a good time. Pinning enemies to the wall was great and zapping them like a Tesla Coil was fun. Eventually I stopped playing for a Year or so because I felt lost, I didn't take the time to look for the forums or ask for help. One day a Group I am apart of did a Charity Stream and gave out prized for Warframe. I won one of the Prizes, since it was a Random Generator. I got 50$ worth of Plat, so I redownloaded the game, bought Vauban, Tonkor, and the Vanquished Syandana, and fell in love with the game all over again. It is still one of my most played games, and I make sure to do at least a mission or two each day.

Welcome to Warframe!

The game that has single handedly pushed back my depression & relit the fires of fun & adventure.

Avoid Region chat...it's a hive of scum & villiany that rivals the Destiny Forums.

I came back to WF after my time in Destiny 1.

With D2 having gone a different direction & as a result there being no more Armsday, random rolls, & the list goes on. I gave WF another shot.

All thanks to some RL friends & Skillup's review.

Now my days as the Armsday guru & weekly Armsday threads are over...now I am just a Tenno. But the Grineer know me as "Death".

I haven't loved a game this hard since Everquest 1. I love the transparency & open communication, I love the passion poured into this game.

I see it only getting better moving forward.

Edited by (PS4)Zero_029
Typos

PredakingXYT, Played destiny since Year 2, D2 isn't the end of the road, but that where a fork in the path laid. I took the path without D2, treading unknown waters, found My way here, been playing Warframe for a month now, no regrets, no complaints, Linked my Twitch prime, for Frost Prime, working on Getting rhino, Youtube vids help, And I think the forums will too. Though I must say, the only problem with warframe I think is that it is not newbie friendly, Starting out is like being a newborn child and then being thrust with all the information in the world, All the stuff you can do is without explanation and so many new players just turn away.

Welcome to Warframe. I was a Destiny-only player from March 2015 to December 2016, then went full-on Warframe until September, with the release of Destiny 2. 

D2 lasted about 2 months for me, and then I went back to Warframe. My fondest wish would be for the two games to merge together in some glorious smoosh of the best parts of both, but as it stands, Warframe captures and holds my interest much, much better than Destiny 2 does. 

Fair warning, though: although you don't have to (obviously), it's entirely possible to spend as much money - or more - on Warframe than on Destiny. As a bonus, you may even find that you want to spend money on Warframe. I think the game deserves an influx of cash every so often, so I'm happy to pay a bit here and there.