Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Temporary Workaround Found] Unable to login in-game

I_am_your_Sandvich

Message added by [DE]Danielle

Hey Tenno! 

We're aware of login issues and are working to get them resolved ASAP. Thank you for your patience

Mass login issues have been resolved! We are aware, however, that some of you are still experiencing some issues. We are still working out a solution, and will update this thread once we have nailed down a fix! Thank you for your patience. 

4 minutes ago, rusnoob said:

better just wait for the hotfix,the weekend passed and DE Will start to work

If you fan his file, it turned on things you don't want. Please run cmd.exe as admin and type these commands to turn them off

1. sc config mrxsmb20 start=disabled
  2. sc config mrxsmb10 start=disabled

Edited by Alaestor
rephrased

Sharing two .bat files to streamline the process. Friend of mine made/found and tweaked these.

Just hit the download button at the top. Also, make sure to run the Disable .bat file after Warframe Hotfixes.

(If it saves as a .bat.bat file, don't worry, it will run fine.)

DISABLE_SMB.RunAsAdmin.bat

notyet

ENABLE_SMB.RunAsAdmin.bat

notyet

Edited by I_am_your_Sandvich
Thought we had this good, Please wait warmly

Their work day has probably only recently started, so there's little use in watching the clock. I didn't remember, but I'd removed all of my workstation-related functions at least a year ago and haven't had a ghost of a chance of working around it myself. The only reason to be upset is potentially missing Warframe when it's the most fun to play, which is when it's full of new bugs and exploits.

Oh boy, so today I found out that I can log into the game on my laptop just fine. On it I've disabled any of the workstation related stuffs (similar to my desktop PC), so I guess it's a bit... weird...

Shame that my laptop has like 15 fps outside on the Plains so I can't play the game properly, but I guess at least I have a thing to use in case there's a special alert coming.

2 hours ago, Luciu said:

Oh boy, so today I found out that I can log into the game on my laptop just fine. On it I've disabled any of the workstation related stuffs (similar to my desktop PC), so I guess it's a bit... weird...

Shame that my laptop has like 15 fps outside on the Plains so I can't play the game properly, but I guess at least I have a thing to use in case there's a special alert coming.

lucky you my potato laptop wont be able to do anything less then 10 fps

SIMPLIFIED TEMPORARY WORK-AROUND

Okay, I've written two CMD / batch scripts as they seem to be in high demand. They should only work if the services are installed in the first place.

I still recommend waiting for the next next next next next next next next next patch!  screw it; they don't know what they're doing...

but I understand some people badly want to play. (edit: why? Just leave. They don't care. warframe is horrible)
Know that you are taking a risk by doing this workaround. Exposing both your system, and the network you're on.

• One to turn the services on as they are needed (makes your system insecure! read the prompt carefully!)
    workaround_ON.bat

• and One to turn the services off once you've logged into warframe. (this will make your system secure again)
    workaround_OFF.bat

!!! CAUTION !!! 

remember to run the "workaround_OFF.bat" after you log in. If the " workaround_ON.bat " fails, you still need to run "workaround_OFF.bat" to be secure!

edit: if you aren't experiencing this bug, running these bat files may do more bad then good. These aren't security tools.

How To Use Them Safely

For this to work, the " workstation " service must not be manually set to "Disabled". 
Search and run the " services.msc ", find the " Workstation " service, double click it, and set the startup type to manual.

Either download the scripts from the site, or copy+paste them into " .bat " extension files.
In order to rename the file extensions, you may need to show file extensions if you haven't already.

Once you have BOTH files:

1. run the " ON " script (as admin, meaning you need to right-click it).
  2. run the warframe launcher, launch warframe, and log in as you normally would.
  3. run the " OFF " script (as admin)

If either of the scripts fail, please message me (Alaestor) via my public discord server.
If only the " OFF " script fails, contact me A.S.A.P. and I'll personally try to help you get it secure again and figure out what went wrong.

These scripts have only been tested on windows 7 professional. I can't confirm if they work on anything else, but in theory they should...

old workaround:

Spoiler

ferpgl.png

Edited by Alaestor
MOAR NEXTS!! SO MANY MORE NEXTS!!
  • Like 1

On 13/10/2017 at 10:49 PM, Yonael said:

The service dependancies are non existant. As in they're not in the list of services.

on mine (win8.1)

workstation depndancies are browser support driver, network store interface service and SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector.

23 hours ago, Alaestor said:

I know the feels. My network is secure so I don't mind turning it on to log in then instantly stopping it, but if you're on a public network or in a house with other computers, or a non-strict firewall (or no fire wall), then it becomes a very big issue. Especially! if you need to use SMB 1.0 ... If it works with SMB 2 or 3, then you're fine(ish). But there have been some people who had issues starting workstation without also enabling SMB 1.0 (but that's quite rare...)

ha, no network connected to anything else is completely secure check this out as an example

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/16/wpa2_krack_attack_security_wifi_wireless/ rough summary is that wardrivers can get onto your lan via wifi

On 10/14/2017 at 9:35 PM, [DE]Glen said:

I have tracked down at least one problem that was caused by people disabling windows services and it'll be fixed in the next hotfix. 

In the mean time, if you turned of the "Workstation" service (sometimes called "LanmanWorkstation") manually I'd start with re-enabling it and trying to log-in. I haven't the foggiest idea what other problems you might cause by disabling core windows features so it wouldn't surprise me if you can break it with other monkey-business.

I have used different Windows since the early 90s and I have always "fine tuned" some of the services they came with that are enabled but are most of the time completely unnecessary for a home desktop computer. This is the first time ever during this time (25 years?) when suddenly a game starts requiring a Windows system service to be able to log in a person in a game. Yes, the first time.

How on earth is Warframe dependant on a service that does this:

Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers using the SMB protocol.

I understand this would be needed for creating a LAN network where there are network shares available, for example in a work environment, but requiring this for a game to be able to log in?

26 minutes ago, LeMoog said:

ha, no network connected to anything else is completely secure check this out as an example

Hell, even networks not connected to anything else arent secure 

https://thehackernews.com/2017/06/wikileaks-Brutal-Kangaroo-airgap-malware.html

It's a numbers game. Secure meaning "reasonably secure from known exploits"

25 minutes ago, runx0 said:

I understand this would be needed for creating a LAN network where there are network shares available, for example in a work environment, but requiring this for a game to be able to log in?

crazy aint it? it does appear to be a mistake that was overlooked. Should be fixed next patch :D

Edited by Alaestor
damn typos...

1 hour ago, runx0 said:

How on earth is Warframe dependant on a service that does this:

Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers using the SMB protocol.

So, I suspect they're using NTLM as part of the authentication process. This may have been a remanent of internal use that leaked out to the public build and was active due to an infrastructure change on their backend. Like a dedicated authentication server, or load balancer, or some type of internal routing system; it would communicate with the outside world using something else, but use SMB and/or NTLM internally (so theyre running windows server). So, if they changed their infrastructure, the server would demand the same auth they used for internal use.

This would explain why it doesn't fail at launch. They expected only to use it internally, so they didn't put any requirement checks in. Which is why it's silently failing.

As I said, I suspect. I'm just guessing, but it sounds like a reasonable thing to overlook.

Edited by Alaestor

4 hours ago, Mastro1020 said:

Its fix ??? someone can fix ?

4 hours ago, IlKaithe said:

Still nothing. One would think they would have a team ready during their big update launch weekend to prioritize log-in and game-breaking bugs...
Patience we must have ~Master Yoda

For those looking for the workaround Click Here.

Edited by Alaestor

I tried these .bat files, and manually starting the workstation service, but alas, it won't start, it seems I'm lacking some files to start it. (yes i successfully ran the OFF.bat file afterwards, don't worry :) ) Let's just wait, at this point not much more I can (or am willing) to do - to quote a certain popular streamer with a grand moustache "FIX YOUR GODDAMN GAME!" :D