Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extremely High Pitched Screech-Sound When Readying the Fishing Spear

Hawkray

So after using the spear for quite a while now (fishing is just amazing!) I've realized every time one holds right click to ready the spear, a very high pitched, screech-like noise plays for half a second. It's irritating and after a while becomes uncomfortable since pressing right click again and again is part of how fishing plays. I initially thought maybe it was part of the sound design, but it serves no purpose as the spear could have a different sound that is more low pitched and solid for the right click.

Is this an intentional addition? It's similar to the Cerata where I've heard of people complaining about its throwing sound being too screeching and irritating to the ear.

Interestingly enough, I tried letting 37 people try hearing the sound (workplace, family and friends) and every person over 50 has not been able to hear any screech (4 people), while 7 people reported not hearing anything while being below 40 years old. The rest heard it, with 7 our of the 26 people saying it did not bother them as much. The other 19 consisted of 20~30 year old individuals except one of them being a 13 year old teenager.

This really reminds me of that app that plays high pitched noises that only certain age groups can hear, mainly the younger the person is the more sound range they can perceive, due to the wear on our eardrums as we, well, live.

I think it would be an amazing QoL improvement to remove that screech for those that can hear it. Albeit inaudible to some, it is still unhealthy for the eardrum, and for those that are overly sensitive it can probably get them to stop fishing. 

In my case, I hear it and try to drown it out with music, but that means I cannot enjoy the calmness of the frog croaks and water sound the fish make. Instead I'm going with visual clues at the moment, which is enough, but definitely not the FULL experience. 

I believe many don't brings this up in fear of being ridiculed but seeing as there is a specific forum dedicarted to sound design, I'm relieved to see that it IS something the team is accepting feedback on.

So yeah, please consider this! It would be better for every eardrum out there, and it would relieve quite some discomfort for those that go for hour-2hour long fishing sessions, like me and my clan.

Thanks for reading!

Oh and speaking of sound design--HOLY THE EIDOLON'S CRIES ARE AMAZING IT'S TRIPLE A MOVIE TITLE LEVEL SURROUND EPIC GROWLS I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S SO GOOD PROPS TO EVERYONE AH

Edited by Hawkray

I can tell it's definitely there, and I even made sure to make several people test if they hear it. It bothers some more than others.

Ah, I got too excited when I saw "reduced fishing sounds" in the hotfix notes. The screech is still there though maybe it's less prominent. I just wonder why it's there if spamming right click makes it go away for a couple times, it's as if it shouldn't be there in the first place

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to come back to this...

I noticed the sound OP was talking about, but it was rather faint. I'd imagine most people would barely hear it. There's a fair chance you're one of those folks whose hearing goes up to a slightly higher register than most, so you'd be able to pick it out more easily.