The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help Regarding Mods

BlueGranny

Question

I cannot for the life of me work out how much a mod will "cost" me to apply to my character. I thought it was next to the little down arrow on the mod card, but that changes when i apply it.

For instance my Redirection card says 5 next to the arrow, but applied it changes to a 3.

I am using a Loki warframe, maybe this affects it.

Help would be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I cannot for the life of me work out how much a mod will "cost" me to apply to my character. I thought it was next to the little down arrow on the mod card, but that changes when i apply it.

For instance my Redirection card says 5 next to the arrow, but applied it changes to a 3.

I am using a Loki warframe, maybe this affects it.

Help would be appreciated.

Its all in the Polarities dood.

Each Mod and some slots in your frame/weapon have an icon in the upper right hand corner. Match the icon of the mod with the one in the slot, the mod will cost half as much (rounded up i believe) as normal. Mismatch the polarity and the slot, it makes the Mod more expensive.

Powers all have the same polarity, so they are always going to cost half if you put them in the corner slots.

Just in case i didnt explain it coherently , This will.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Polarity

Edited by Aigloblam

You'll notice some polarities on mods and Warframes : http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Polarity

eg : when you equip a mod with a V polarity on a V slot, its cost will be halved (rounded up). So, your Redirection (with a D polarity) must be on a D slot so from 5 you go to 3 (since 5/2 = 2.5 -> 3)

Take care of the polarity because a mod in the wrong polarity slot will cause it to cost 1/3 more to equip

Thank you both for the quick answers. I will read the wiki page to fully understand

Also, can i have two D mods equipped at once? for instance also Vitality and also Redirection?

And what would be considered better, more armor or more health?

Edited by BlueGranny

Thank you both for the quick answers. I will read the wiki page to fully understand

Also, can i have two D mods equipped at once? for instance also Vitality and also Redirection?

Yes, you can have two "D" mods equipped at once, but without a "D" polarity, they're going to cost a leg and a half. That's where Forma come into the equation. They add polarities.while resetting the rank of your Warframe so that you can dedicate mod energy/space onto other mod cards.

As for the more armor vs. health argument:

Armor increases "effective HP" by reducing incoming damage done to health, so it has no effect on shields (except for that short time when Steel Fiber was bugged to affect shields). The equation for damage mitigated by armor is:

Final damage = Initial damage [100/(Armor + 100)] 

This presents a problem; the higher percentage value you go, the lower the "effective HP" gain. Let's say I had 100 base armor, which cuts down damage done to HP by 50%. Then I add a Rank 4 Steel Fiber, which boosts my armor by 50%. Now I have 150 base armor, cutting down damage done to HP by 60%, which is a measly 10% gain. Even if I added a Rank 10 Steel Fiber, it only cuts down damage done to HP by 67.7%!

If I added the Aurora helmet (which gives a Frost +25% armor for -5% HP), then you only gain a 65% damage reduction towards HP. Because a Frost already has an initial 60% damage reduction from his initial 150 armor, the "effective HP" gain from the extra armor is 5%:

(0.95) (1.05) = 0.9975, or 99.75% (i.e. you lose 0.25% of your "effective HP" when wearing the Aurora helmet)

This means that Vitality is the best method of increasing "effective HP", and the Aurora helmet is useless in practice.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

Personally i like to keep a Redirection and a Vitality at the same rank, so that i can remod for what faction im going against. Against Grineer and Corpus, Shield is MUCH more effective than health, since it recharges very quickly, especially if you have a shade to cloak you and Fast Deflection.

For Infested, Health is infinitely better. Because a Disrupter can take ALL your shield, no matter how much, in one hit. Leaving you with only your health. Also, Toxics ignore shields, but drain health directly, so you need a lot to soak up the drain effects long enough to move on, or kill the Toxic.

Hope that helps :)