Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Bolts are 2slow!" - A response to people claim the bolt-'s are bad weapons.

SpiderWaifu

Oh god what are you doing.

Replace the AP mods with flat damage you silly goose!

Some of us have terrible luck with flat damage mods.

However a Boltor with Incendiary Damage mods is hilarious. Not only does it pin people it also sets them on fire.

Some of us have terrible luck with flat damage mods.

However a Boltor with Incendiary Damage mods is hilarious. Not only does it pin people it also sets them on fire.

I want. My plan for Boltor mod's is to go mostly with flat damage mods [i say no to AP because it does nothing for Bolt-'s, I think] and situationally changing 1-2 elemental mods, then either a ROF, or Ammo Capacity.

Well I've never used the Bolto, but I picked up my finished Boltor today. I must say I really like the weapon and it is probably my favorite so far. Before I move on and have the people in here who already use the "don't fire at moving targets argument", I already understand this. It is an effective weapon, but as someone else pointed out on a Bolto thread a while back, this doesn't help against targets behind cover. You have to try and predict when to fire so that the enemy pops out and gets hit. Not only is there no way to truly predict this, but it waste ammo. Also I feel we should be able to at least kind of lead fire against medium and semi-distant targets. I don't think that's unreasonable. I understand leading targets and I consider myself at least decent at it, but the bolts are slow enough that they are very hard to do that and make it very easy to waste ammo on anything that decides to move at all. I'm not saying bolts should be upgraded to the speed of bullets, but I believe they deserve some sort of a speed upgrade. Enough of a boost that allows players who are good at leading shots on moving targets to be effective.

They are great weapons. They do insane damage due to their natural armor penetration. Maybe people should use their other weapon as well? All the bolt weapons are for two things

1. Doing high damage to armored targets at close to medium ranges

2. Doing high damage to stationary targets at long ranges.

I use a boltor/afuris setup. The boltor handles sniping stationary targets at long range, and general mid range combat. The afuris i use to kill grinders/have electric mod on it to strip boss shields. You could alternatively use a lex for long range sniping. its actually not that hard to kill grinders with boltor once you learn their movement patterns.

Once you learn to lead moving targets at medium ranges are no issue at all, and the fact that moving targets at long ranges are an issue.. thats the tradeoff. The boltor is a braton that does MUCH higher damage, ignores armor, and you cant use at extreme range against non stationary targets. Why does it seem like people want it to be a straight armor piercing upgrade to the standard braton?

The bolt weapons need to be pared with a primary/secondary that compliments them. They are all very powerful but have an obvious weakness as well, thats what your other weapon is supposed to cover. If you want to use just one weapon and never switch just get a gorgon.

Edited by Archade

If you're having problems with moving targets, slap a Freezing damage mod on your Boltor. It instantly puts the enemy into slow-mo and makes it easier to land shots.

@Archade

Cold is the element that does 200% damage to shields. It's just crappy against everything else.

I don't think there is a general 'hate' towards there weapons. I'm rather sure many people likes them.

Personally I don't. But I have seen many people with bolto and akbolto, and a couple with boltor too, and they seemed to enjoy it.

I am building a boltor too now, I'll give it a shot.

The real problem with bolt based weapons is that unless I'm hosting the game I can expect the bolts to take as long as an additional second to actually leave my gun after I pull the trigger. It's basically impossible to use them with lag, unlike the other guns in the game. It seems like the non-bolt weapons do hit detection on the player's machine, but the bolt weapons do it on the server because the game's tracking and showing the projectiles?

Yesterday I was doing one of the Grineer missions and the host had pretty severe lag. I experimented with my Akbolto.

I could down the boss (with a leaping melee) so he was *not moving* and approximately 2 feet from me, and dump akbolto rounds directly into his head. Most of them did not hit due to the lag. I could stand 10-20 ft away while he was standing in place firing at people and dump rounds directly into his head and only see 2-3 damage numbers pop up. It's a mess.

Either way, unless the matchmaking is fixed to avoid putting you in laggy games they're pretty much useless compared to the alternatives - even if they're actually pretty great weapons with a high skill cap under optimal conditions.

<-- Rank 11 Boltor vs lvl20ish Grineers.

Your targets aren't constantly moving, and even then, it's slow movements.

If you're not good at leading your enemy, you can just wait until they stop moving.

It makes me sad to see such good weapons hated, because people think the bolts aren't fast enough, and they can't hit anything with them.

If it's desired, I could try to make a video that goes more indepth and helps people to aim better with these weapons. Now I'm not claiming to be the best here, but most peoples opinion on the bolt- weapons, are that it's hard to hit things.

I want to help you people out, because these weapons are fun.

I've never had a problem with my bolt weapons. The raw power against armored targets makes up for the failings of their accuracy in my mind.