Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fishing 101 (Active Updating)

Grayfox-Hunter

Question

Greetings Space Ninjas! 

Fishing, probably one of the faster ways to gain standing, or at least, more consistent than mining and feels less grindy. I do enjoy fishing in Warframe, one would think its a bit mundane but no, the game makes it quite a enjoyable experience. 

Having recently done a fair bit of fishing on the lack of information there is, I felt the need for a more detailed guide. I have by no means reached the top standing, so I can as of yet not say much about the rarer fish that need specific baits to be lured out. 

Special mentions to @Saber101, @PaRaSiTe122, @Da1koN1nja, @Neuron1c, @WarHound227, See you all on the plains! 

Enough rambles, lets get to the guide..

NmUmYsQ.png

-------------------------------------

WHAT WILL YOU NEED:

- x1 Fishing spear! 

- Bait (Optional unless hunting a special fish requiring it)

There are 3 types of spears available as you climb the standing tree. Each one describing how it works best on a certain type of fish. I have had a fellow Tenno, @Saber101 tell me about his first few attempts with the Lanzo fishing spear. The fish he attempted to catch that -in their descriptions- say they have armored plates and carapaces over the head or so, would bounce right off them. Presumably because he didn't have the correct spear for armor piercing (Which would be the Tulok spear)

Here are the types of spears.

SPEARS

The starting spear, The Lanzo

frDqt4g.png

Next, The Tulok

6Iz2mj6.png

Lastly, The Peram

yyjlt4J.png

Little is really known, so my theory is that the spear gets better regardless. Meaning that the Peram would of course be the only one you use, being able to do all the jobs of the previous 2 spears.

----------------------------------

For a helping hand, to bring forth the fish more readily, you can drop some bait in the waters. Not essential, I have not found them to be a great help, if anything, they bring the fish out a bit faster but not in higher amounts. I do think the bait helps attract the larger size fish out, but since the variation between S,M and L is good enough as is, why waste the standing constantly buying blueprints? 

As for Luminous dye and Pharoma, The luminous dye really gives you an edge in seeing the fish in murky or darker waters. Shine bright like a sentient core they do! Pharoma, I cannot comment on yet,as I have not unlocked it. I have my doubts on its usefulness, as the fish tend to calm down if you miss a strike and simply wait a while (If they haven't swum into the void)

BAITS, DYES AND PHAROMA

BASIC BAITS

zdeVsSs.png

IILzCyQ.png

LUMINOUS DYE (USEFUL FOR BAD VISIBILITY)

5xAL7Kj.png

The effects of the Luminous Dye, truly glorious! Shine brightly indeed. 

S0iySMn.png

PHAROMA

c1p4TmH.png

SPECIAL FISH BAITS 

vFZodem.png

ptIIKpu.png

GKj0g7j.png

zVn4gDk.png

The special fish baits are essential to luring out the Special fish, and you will need to farm normal and special fish parts to create the various baits.

-----------------------------

Next up we have types of fish that you find in the Plains, the time of day they spawn and how much standing types of fish and their sizes give.

This map will show you were these fish spawn. The colors relate to the given spawn areas. The numbered areas are some of my best fishing spots, they have consistently given good catches. THIS MAP IS BEING ACTIVELY UPDATED

My personal favourite spots are 1,2,3, 6 and 7. A thanks goes out to @ANODAONE for showing me spot 6 and 7.

IchAHUf.png

TYPES OF FISH

AREA: LARGE LAKES, ALGAE ON THE ROCKS

• CHARC EEL

zcqUAS3.png

Spawn Times: Common at Night

Standing worth: Small: 25

Medium: 35

Large: 50

MAWFISH

T9HpeUp.png

Spawn Times: Daytime

-------------------------------------------

AREA: SHALLOW, SMALL AND ROCKY PONDS

KHUT-KHUT

hntx88Z.png

Spawn Times: Daytime

MORTUS LUNGFISH

8a2nwql.png

Spawn Times: Common at night, Rare in Daytime

Standing worth: Small: 100

Medium: 125

Large: 200

YOGWUN

VxdbDIu.png

Spawn Times: Dawn, Daytime

CUTHOL (SPECIAL BAIT REQUIRED)

f3vkttI.png

Spawn Times: ?

Standing worth: Small: ?

Medium: ?

Large: ?

NOTE: This is a special fish, requiring a specific type of bait to be lured out. (See bait section of the guide)

----------------------------------------

AREA: COAST/SEA

GOOPALA

HLZY1Mq.png

Spawn Times: Twilight, Night, Rare at Dawn

TRALOK

8MPcs2i.png

Spawn Times: Daylight, Rare at Twilight

SHARRAC

z8ef4St.png

Spawn Times: Daylight

KARKINA

lr620TP.png

Spawn Times: Daylight, Twilight

GLAPPID (SPECIAL BAIT REQUIRED)

jic8GbD.png

NOTE: This is a special fish, requiring a specific type of bait to be lured out. (See bait section of the guide)

MURKRAY (SPECIAL BAIT REQUIRED)

GIgRBGB.png

--------------------------------------

UNKNOWN

NORG (SPECIAL BAIT REQUIRED)                                                                                                

WquOqQW.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That wraps up that part, lastly, lets get to the Art of Fishing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

FISHING TECHNIQUE AND TIPS

The basic steps to getting yourself ready to catch the scaly buggers...

• Decide where and what you want to fish
  • Remember, make sure you have made your Dyes and Baits (Its a mission to go back to your Liset)
  • Find your spot (Check the provided map for some of my favourites)
  • When in your location, spend about 3 min in one spot and then move slightly down or up and work that spot. This way the respawn cycle seems to work better.
  • Find your patience, this is going to involve a lot of standing very still

TIP: When you are in position, Hold in R-Mouse to aim down the spear. You while hear a bubbling sound coming from the waters. These are the fish spawning. It will give you a great indication of where to look for them. They will continue to make the bubbling sound, indicating that there are still fish in your vicinity. 

NOTE: YOU ONLY HEAR THE BUBBLES WHILE HOLDING DOWN R-MOUSE

It is best to stand entirely still without looking around until the fish have spawned! 

Ar90yAa.png

------------------------------------------

FISHING SPOTS

The map that I mentioned earlier in the guide, I shall place it here again so you won't be scrolling up all the time to cross reference.

IchAHUf.png

Starting at 1 and moving on, I will show the locations in detail and the exact spots where I stand.

LOCATION 1: Coastal/Sea 

CewNgpB.jpg

LOCATION 2: Shallow, Rocky Pool

LUSNeWd.jpg

LOCATION 3: Large lakes, Algae on the rocks

nuasiEm.jpg

LOCATION 4 AND 5: Large Lake, Algae on the rocks

DtFqfdf.jpg

LOCATION 6 AND 7: Shallow, Rocky Pool

ESrV5iF.jpg

LOCATION 8 AND 9: Shallow, Rocky Pool

Xb2WxhA.jpg

---------------------------------------------

For now, that is what I have to offer. I hope to help the community of Tenno in their Fishing endavours as best I can. Please feel free to message me with any added advice you may have, so that I may add to this humble guide.

Happy fishing, Tenno

Grayfox-Hunter

17 answers to this question

Can confirm that the special fish do not require their specific bait but can spawn using the peppered bait. Maybe they could also spawn without it but at an infinitesimally small chance. 
Edit: Recent Hotfix nerfed peppered bait into the ground. only attracts common fish

Edited by Derpy_Platypus

Can also confirm that special fish do not require bait other than peppered (I am not certain if I used bait at all when I got them), got 2 murkrays (if I recall right, single large Murkray was a 1000 standing fish, cannot confirm with screenshot tho) and a single glappid. Also I had to hit murkrays twice to fish them, using tulok spear ('wtf is wrong with this shark...oh wait').

My Fav spot (well, the only one I fished at yet, spent no more than hour to fish, had to farm something else) are near that little island, due east from your '1'.

Man, update your guide right now, because what i will say will blow your mind sky-high.

Ready?

So listen closely:

Get Ivara.

Use her cord arrow to get atop or near the spawning spot (you can identify those by splashing poodles on the water).

Place yourself in such a way so Sun will not blind you (i simply get on top of the splashing puddle and get ready for them) If you have baits - good. If you dont - well, whatever. Right, so you are on top of the splashing puddle or near it. And you are with a spear in your hand. So you see a fish, but dont click your Right mouse button to aim. Firstly click your LEFT mouse button, then aim without pressin Right mouse button to where fish is (If you are ivara, you can run along the cord like a frog you are and get right atop the fish with it givin no damn at all. Do it while invisible or visible. The result is the same - you got fish. And Its dead) and then - press the RMB. Ivara will instantly launch the spear at the fish without any problem and get it.

Place several cords near one another so you can hop from one to another like a frog if you see a big fish. Place cords in crossing for greater coverage and then hop from A line to B line to pursue big fish. 

Also - kill any enemies who can be near you. Use a silensed weapon (muffle, hush, silenced battery) to not disturb the fish.

http://2znx4sz.png

the process of fishing from Ivara cord:

r0b4ep.jpg

Edited by Dreammag911
Upd pic

NOTE: YOU ONLY HEAR THE BUBBLES WHILE HOLDING DOWN R-MOUSE

Nope.. You just hear it a lot easier/clearer. The sound is very much there, just by having your spear out. You don't have to hold Right-click at all, while fishing, if you don't want to.

I've hardly used the right-click when fishing and I have no trouble hearing the bubbles or even hitting the fish.

But yeah.. Fishing is by far the most efficient way of capping your standing. I've just hit the 44.000 Standing cap today, and I think I need something like 70.000 or something for the next one - not online in the game currently, so can't check - but that's going to take few more days to get :)
Turned in all my fish from one full night of fishing (19775 standing in total, from fish alone) and got what I needed (while still having fish to cut up), after running a few bounties first.

I've bought bait one time, but I'm not going to waste standing on it, unless upgrading standing needs some special part from a fish (which I think my next one does - Murkray parts or something..).

Edited by Tagger

2 hours ago, Dreammag911 said:

Man, update your guide right now, because what i will say will blow your mind sky-high.

Ready?

So listen closely:

Get Ivara.

Use her cord arrow to get atop or near the spawning spot (you can identify those by splashing poodles on the water).

Place yourself in such a way so Sun will not blind you (i simply get on top of the splashing puddle and get ready for them) If you have baits - good. If you dont - well, whatever. Right, so you are on top of the splashing puddle or near it. And you are with a spear in your hand. So you see a fish, but dont click your Right mouse button to aim. Firstly click your LEFT mouse button, then aim without pressin Right mouse button to where fish is (If you are ivara, you can run along the cord like a frog you are and get right atop the fish with it givin no damn at all. Do it while invisible or visible. The result is the same - you got fish. And Its dead) and then - press the RMB. Ivara will instantly launch the spear at the fish without any problem and get it.

Place several cords near one another so you can hop from one to another like a frog if you see a big fish. Place cords in crossing for greater coverage and then hop from A line to B line to pursue big fish. 

Also - kill any enemies who can be near you. Use a silensed weapon (muffle, hush, silenced battery) to not disturb the fish.

http://2znx4sz.png

the process of fishing from Ivara cord:

r0b4ep.jpg

Nice one! The update will go into the thread in general discussion. 

To all following this guide, Please note that I will be asking a DE to lock the thread. 

The actively updated guide is now in the general discussion sub-forum. Same thread name, same person posting :)

Thanks for checking it out and please keep following, I update daily! 

@[DE]Danielle, Could you please lock/delete this thread? The current one continues on General Discussion.

Tips & Trick from me

- When it's night, go to a pond with the Lanzo spear and catch all of the Mortus Lungfish you see.

-When it's day, go to a see with the Tulok and catch all of the Tralok you see.

Because the Tralok is common at day and the Mortus is common at night and both have the sames standing value who are pretty high

Small = 100 Standing

Medium = 125 Standing

Large = 200 Standing