Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fishing 101 (Active Updating)

Grayfox-Hunter

Greetings Space Ninjas! 

Fishing, probably one of the faster ways to gain standing, or at least, more consistent than mining and feels less grindy. I do enjoy fishing in Warframe, one would think its a bit mundane but no, the game makes it quite a enjoyable experience. 

Having recently done a fair bit of fishing on the lack of information there is, I felt the need for a more detailed guide. I have by no means reached the top standing, so I can as of yet not say much about the rarer fish that need specific baits to be lured out. 

Honorable mentions to @Saber101, @PaRaSiTe122, @Da1koN1nja, @Neuron1c, @WarHound227, @R3C01L, @Reaygun,your feedback as a test team is incredibly useful and makes this progress at a steady pace. 

Special mention to @[DE]Danielle, who may be checking out this guide to see if its worthy!

Enough rambling though, lets get to the guide..

DEvqEwuUAAAikv8.jpg

Art By @lottusshim554                                                                          

WHAT WILL YOU NEED:

- x1 Fishing spear of your choice! 

- Bait (Optional unless hunting a special fish that require it)

- Luminous Dye and Pharoma (Optional)

I will be linking the latest Hotfix related to Plains of Eidolon here.

SPEARS        

Spoiler

Once you have earned enough Standing with the Ostrons by completing Bounties from Konzu or Incursions on the Plains of Eidolon, you will be able to purchase a Fishing Spear at fisher Hai-Luk located to the left of the stairway into Cetus.

There are 3 types of spears available as you climb the standing tree. Each one describing how it works best on a certain type of fish. I have had a fellow Tenno, @Saber101 tell me about his first few attempts with the Lanzo fishing spear. The fish he attempted to catch that -in their descriptions- say they have armored plates and carapaces over the head or so, would bounce right off them. Presumably because he didn't have the correct spear for armor piercing (Which would be the Tulok spear)

Different spears do indeed work better on certain fish. Tried catching a Murkray with a Tulok spear, it took 2 shots, @PaRaSiTe122 and @Saber101 used the Lanzo Spear and took it in 1 shot. Yet to determine which fish fall under which categories.

Once you have purchased the fishing spear you can then equip it in the Gear menu. Once equipped you can head out into the plains and find eligible bodies of water such as ponds, lakes, and the ocean. In order for fish to begin spawning the player must bring out the fishing spear from the Gear menu (Default hold Q  and select the spear).

NOTES:

• Each spear has its own advantages, read their descriptions, they do make a difference 
  • Using the wrong spear on a fish type will have decreased spear damage.
  • The spear flight is based on a set duration time, not distance. 
  • Having different spears equipped seems to change what spawns for you. (Contributed by @Cortanis)   

Something that a friend and I tested. What spear you have equipped apparently can actually effect what spawns for you. He had not upgraded to the Tulok and he had no spawns what so ever for Karkina while I had spawns happening regularly with the Tulok.

- Cortanis

• If you have space on your gear wheel, carry all your spears with you, so you are ready for any sitaution       
  • IMPORTANT: You MUST hold down RMB to hear bubbling and splashing fish sounds now.                  

frDqt4g.png6Iz2mj6.png   

yyjlt4J.png

WHAT SPEAR WORKS BEST ON WHAT FISH

Lanzo: (Smooth skinned fish)

• Murkray
  • Charc Eel
  • Yogwun
  • Goopala
  • Sharrac
  • Cuthol
  • Boot              

Tulok: (Armored Fish)

• Khut-Khut
  • Karkina
  • Tralok
  • Boot

Peram: (Scaly Fish)

• Glappid
  • Mortus Lungfish
  • Mawfish
  • Norg           
  • Boot               

BAITS, DYES AND PHAROMA

Spoiler

For a helping hand, to bring forth the fish more readily, you can drop some bait in the waters. Not essential, I have not found them to be a great help, if anything, they bring the fish out a bit faster but not in higher amounts. I do think the bait helps attract the larger size fish out, but since the variation between S,M and L is good enough as is, why waste the standing constantly buying blueprints? 

As for Luminous dye and Pharoma, The luminous dye really gives you an edge in seeing the fish in murky or darker waters. Shine bright like a sentient core they do! Pharoma, I cannot comment on yet,as I have not unlocked it. I have my doubts on its usefulness, as the fish tend to calm down if you miss a strike and simply wait a while (If they haven't swum into the void)

BASIC BAITS

NOTES:

• When you arrive at your desired fishing spot, deploy whatever bait you wish to use right away. Deploying it after having fished the area for a while seems to make you loose out on the full duration and effect of the bait.

Contributed by @jofdeath

One thing I've noticed that a lot of me and other people do when trying to use bait, is we use it on a spot that we've been at for a while, since the bait only last for a bit it sometimes doesn't even get a chance to effect the fish. Its a good idea to try and find the fishing spots beforehand that you like then when you get there instantly use the bait. I managed to get 5 Murkrays to spawn at once

- jofdeath

• At night, Location #8 is a excellent spot to fish Mortus Lungfish. Equip the Lanzo spear and bring along some Twilight bait.
  • Bait blueprints are now reusable! 
  • Twilight bait is useful for luring out Coast/Sea fish such as the Karkina and the Sharrac
  • Remember to throw your bait in areas the water is rippling! (Shows signs of a active school of fish)

zdeVsSs.pngIILzCyQ.png

LUMINOUS DYE (USEFUL FOR BAD VISIBILITY) + PHAROMA

NOTES:

• I use Luminous dye only in murky waters and late night fishing trips.
  • Pharoma will help calm the fish if you have a full squad flinging spears all over the place, upsetting the waters.
  • Luminous dye and Pharoma blueprint is now reusable! 

5xAL7Kj.pngc1p4TmH.png

The effects of the Luminous Dye

S0iySMn.png

SPECIAL FISH BAITS 

NOTES:

• When you arrive at your desired fishing spot, deploy whatever bait you wish to use right away. Deploying it after having fished the area for a while seems to make you loose out on the full duration and effect of the bait.

Contributed by @jofdeath

• Bait blueprints are now reusable! 
  • Rare and Legendary fish baits now hint to the location of the fish.
  • Remember to throw your bait in areas the water is rippling! (Shows signs of a active school of fish)

vFZodem.pngptIIKpu.png

zVn4gDk.pngGKj0g7j.png

TYPES OF FISH

Spoiler

Next up we have types of fish that you find in the Plains, the time of day they spawn, how much standing types of fish and their sizes give, what bait to lure them out with (If needed), which spear is best on certain fish and different components that drop when skinned at the fish merchant. You can turn in your catches at Hai-Luk either for Standing with the Ostron or to cut them up into generic resources (Fish Meat, Fish Oil, Fish Scales) and a resource specific to each type of fish.

It pays to take note of the fish types description. In some cases, their description hints at when they may spawn, will they spawn in dark shadowy areas? Will they spawn deep under the water? Perhaps the type of scenario which naturally lures a fish out, for instance, a fish attracted to the smell of blood will be lured out if you have been fishing one area for a long time. 

Each fish in the below description will have details including where it is found,what bait is suited best to luring it out, what spear to best use against it, what time of day/night the fish will spawn and how much standing each fish size will reward you with.

NOTES:

• Resource Boosters now affect fish!
  • The chance of certain Fish to spawn when the correct Bait is used has been increased.
  • Fish catch sounds have been reduced.
  • You MUST Hold down RMB to hear bubbling and splashing sounds now. 
  • For rare and Legendary fish, you must look out for active schools of fish (Rippling water) to throw your bait towards.

Water ripples at night:                                                                                          Water ripples during the day:

QQW5ZWN.pngdLwHiWY.png

THE FISHING GUIDE MAP

This map will show you were what types of fish spawn. The colors relate to the given spawn areas. The numbered areas are some of my best fishing spots, they have consistently given good catches. Orange areas on the map are areas with high amounts of Nistlepod around, which is a essential fishing component. THIS MAP IS BEING ACTIVELY UPDATED

My personal favourite spots are 1,2,3, 6 and 7. A thanks goes out to @ANODAONE for showing me spot 6 and 7.

IchAHUf.png

AREA

LARGE LAKES

CHARC EEL 

"Discharges electricity from luminous glands along its flanks to stun its prey."

zcqUAS3.png

Unique Drop:
Charc Electropax

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Any

S

M

Fish Type:
Smooth Skin

L

Bait:
Peppered Bait

Ideal Spear:
Lanzo (T1)

Notes: At night, look for the glowing gills, to spot it more easily.

MAWFISH

"Its gaping maw allows it to scoop up smaller fish as it swims by them."

T9HpeUp.png

Unique Drop:
Mawfish Bones

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Day

S

M

Fish Type:
Smooth Skin

L

Bait:
Peppered Bait

Ideal Spear:
Peram (T3)

NORG

"This fish inhabits the shallows and feeds of crabs and other small crustaceans. When threatened it forces air into its brain to give it the impression of being much bigger than it normally is."

WquOqQW.png                                                                            

Unique Drop:
Norg Brain

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Night

S

M

Fish Type:
Scaly

L

Bait:
Norg Bait in Water Ripples

Ideal Spear:
Peram (T3)

AREA

SMALL AND ROCKY PONDS

KHUT-KHUT

"A poisonous fish protected by a hard carapace around its skull."

hntx88Z.png

Unique Drop:
Khut-Khut Venom Sac

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Day

S

M

Fish Type:
Armored

L

Bait:
Peppered Bait

Ideal Spear:
Tulok (T2)

MORTUS LUNGFISH

"Displays blood-splattered pattern on its scales and has its ribs exposed through open cavities along both flanks. When predators approach it lies still at the bottom of the sand banks, disguised as a carcass in hopes of being ignored."

8a2nwql.png

Unique Drop:
Mortus Horn

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Night

S

M

Fish Type:
Scaly

L

Bait:
Twilight Bait

Ideal Spear:
Peram (T3)

YOGWUN

"This slow fish meanders through the waters and is often preyed upon by larger predators."

VxdbDIu.png

Unique Drop:
Yogwun Stomach  
Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Day

S

M

Fish Type:
Armored

L

Bait:
Peppered

Ideal Spear:
Lanzo (T1)

CUTHOL

"A grotesque crustacean that produces a potent, paralyzing toxin from its tentacles."

f3vkttI.png

Unique Drop:
Cuthol Tendrils

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Night

S

M

Fish Type:
Smooth Skin

L

Bait:
Cuthol Bait in Water Ripples

Ideal Spear:
Lanzo (T1)

AREA

COAST/SEA

GOOPALA "GOOP(S)"

"A predatory fish that is attracted to the scent of blood."

HLZY1Mq.png

Unique Drop:
Goopala Spleen

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Any

S

M

Fish Type:
Smooth Skin  
L

Bait:
Peppered Bait

Ideal Spear:
Lanzo (T1)

Notes: 

• It would appear that the Goopala fish will be more likely to spawn if you have fished one area for a long time (See fish's description)
  • The nickname, Goop, was the idea of fellow Tenno, @Fractalisomega

I found that the Goops (goopalla whatevers) can spawn easily at any time and are quite common in the day

You also forgot to mention the BOOT.... can't do anything with it but you can sell it from you inventory for 400 credits

- Fractalisomega

TRALOK

"Strong, predatory fish with eyes that can pierce the darkest shadows."

8MPcs2i.png

Unique Drop:
Tralok Eyes

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Day

S

M

Fish Type:
Armored

L

Bait:
Peppered Bait

Ideal Spear:
Tulok (T2)

SHARRAC

"While rarely venturing from the deepest of waters of the plains, the Sharrac is a fearsome predator who will prey on unwary Ostrons swimming alone."

z8ef4St.png

Unique Drop:
Sharrac Teeth

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Any  
S

M

Fish Type:
Smooth Skin  
L

Bait:
Twilight Bait

Ideal Spear:
Lanzo (T1)              

KARKINA

"A crustacean that hunts during the twilight hours."

lr620TP.png

Unique Drop:
Karkina Antenna

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Any

S

M

Fish Type:
Armoured  
L

Bait:
Twilight Bait

Ideal Spear:
Tulok (T2)

MURKRAY 

"A cunning hunter that hides within the mud at the bottom of the lake and ambushes passing prey"

GIgRBGB.png

Unique Drop:
Murkray Liver

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Any

S

M

Fish Type:
Smooth Skin

L

Bait:
Murkray Bait in Water Ripples

Ideal Spear:
Lanzo (T1)

GLAPPID 

"The Glappid is a scavenger that feasts on the remains of dead fish. It has formed a symbiotic bond with the Seram Beetle which extracts and feeds upon any toxins ingested by the Glappid."

jic8GbD.png

Unique Drop:
Seram Beetle Shell

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Night

S

M

Fish Type:
Scaly

L

Bait:
Glappid Bait in Water Ripples

Ideal Spear:
Peram (T3)

Notes:

• Buffing spear damage with a Warframe ability (Volt's passive, Ivara's Navigator) is recommended to decrease the amount of throws needed to catch this rarest of fish.
  • It may not be possible to legitimately catch this fish, as the bait required to catch this fish needs parts from this fish.

AREA

THE PLAINS OF EIDOLON

BOOT

"Synthetic fibers and a molded foam insole were the basis for what was once a robust and comfortable combat boot. Now, it's a home for tiny aquatic organisms"

qw8l0h8.png

Unique Drop:
Credits

Size:
Standing:
Meat:
Scales:
Oil:

Spawn Times:
Check with Clem

S
Clem

M
Clem

Fish Type:
Synthetic

L
Clem

Bait:
Socks?

Ideal Spear:
Anything will do

A special upload for @Aelendril, I couldn't simply let this slide! 

BTW, sad you didn't include the best fishing product this side of the system...

The Boot.

- Aelendril

FISHING TECHNIQUE AND TIPS

Spoiler

THE BASICS

1. Decide where and what you want to fish
  2. Remember, make sure you have made your Dyes and Baits (Its a mission to go back to your Liset)
  3. Find your spot (Check the provided map for some of my favourites)
  4. When in your location, spend about 3 min in one spot and then move slightly down or up and work that spot. This way the respawn cycle seems to work better.
  5. Find your patience, this is going to involve a lot of standing very still
  6. Enjoy the fishing, its much safer than fighting a Eidolon
  7. IMPORTANT: You MUST hold down RMB to hear bubbling and splashing sounds now
  8. IMPORTANT: Rare and legendary fish MUST be caught with the APPROPRIATE BAIT that is thrown into areas with WATER RIPPLES.

TIPS FOR FISHING

• While aiming the spear (Default hold RMB ), environmental sounds will be dampened, allowing you to listen for the splashing and bubbling of nearby fish. Use the direction of the sounds to locate your possible prey and spear them by pressing the fire button (Default LMB ). The spear has travel time, therefore you must adjust trajectory based on distance from the fish.
  • You can bullet-jump above the water-surfaces in order to scan for the fishes; use aim gliding, mid-air slides, and double-jumps to maneuver yourself back on shore.

zk5HotG.png

• Squadmates spears will scare your fish away
  • You or a squadmate jumping into the water scares fish away
  • Enemy gunfire and yours, that lands in the water, will scare fish away
  • You can kill fish with your primary, secondy and melee, but they will not be counted as a catch
  • You CAN catch fish that are close to the surface without having to hold down RMB, Aim at them and simply LMB
  • Walking into water will scare fish away

k2qIoVD.png

WARFRAME ABILITIES AND THEIR AFFECTS ON FISH     

Spoiler

ONLY WARFRAMES SHOWN TO HAVE TRULY USEFUL SKILLS IN REGARDS TO FISHING WILL BE LISTED

Many of us entering the plains for the first time and veteran alike, must be sitting and thinking, surely my warframes abilities can help my with this fishing business?

The answer to that, quite simply is, yes. There are abilities of varying warframes that will improve the fishing experience, be it in aiding in the position from where you strike, effects that slow or highlight the fish and buffing your spear damage for some serious damage output for those pesky hard to kill water sleuths.

There are many Warframes and my testing team is only so big. Testing each ability from each frame is going to take time. So, Tenno of this community, if you can help out here, any feedback is welcome! 

IVARA

wwTpLcL.png

ABILITIES: 

• QUIVER: Switch to the Dashwire arrow. Using this you can create ziplines that stretch over a lake and fish from atop those. These positions make it very easy to see where the fish are, reach them and hit from just about any angle. It may not be the most useful, but it is viable.

Notes: The difficulty with this ability is that, although you can throw the spear, you can't hold in RMB, so the benefits of being zoomed in, the muted ambient sound.

• NAVIGATOR: Ivara's 2nd ability will allow you to steer and guide your fishing spear! You can guess what this means. Its possible to steer your spear across a lake and catch a distant fish. If you do miss your mark while steering, the fish will not be alerted. It will return after a hit or after the ability duration expires. It appears to increase the size of hitboxes as well.

Notes: The spear can be steered underwater. Do remember that the distance the spear flies is based on a time duration. Its not a case of a set distance. 

BANSHEE

1shSQMF.png

ABILITIES:

• SONAR: Sonar pulses out sound waves in your energy color, highlighting all NPC's in the radius brightly for about 1.5 seconds before applying them with the glowing weakspots and marking them on your map. This applies to fish too, but they lack the weakspots and they are not added to your radar, so you see all the fish in the area brightly for about 1.5 seconds. It's useful only in that you can briefly see how many fish are around and where they're all at if the water is dark or they're well camouflaged. It's like a poor mans luminous  dye.

Notes: Fish must have spawned already.

• SILENCE: Silence can be used to vastly improve the muted ambient sound. Silence does not mute fish spawning bubbles or fish related water sounds. The abilities muting stacks with the fishing spears ambient muting. 

VOLT

NG8hcBt.png

ABILITIES:

• PASSIVE ABILITY (Static Discharge): Travelling along the ground between Volt's attacks (by walking, running, or sliding) will build up static energy, adding bonus Electricity damage toward Volt's next weapon attack or ability cast. For every 1 meter traveled, 5 points of  Electricity damage are added, accumulating to a maximum of 1000 bonus damage. Damage is added before multipliers and is not affected by Ability Strength. Static Discharge can combine with elemental mods on weapons. This passive can apply to your fishing spear, which means with such a high damage output, at 1005 damage per spear shot. You could use any spear type to take out most fish, regardless if they are armored, scaly or smooth skinned.

ZEPHYR

ABILITIES:

•  

FISHING SPOTS

Spoiler

Almost all bodies of water in the plains can spawn fish. Only the very most shallow pools (such as the one right in front of the gates of Cetus) will not spawn fish.

The map that I mentioned earlier in the guide, I shall place it here again so you won't be scrolling up all the time to cross reference.IchAHUf.png

Starting at 1 and moving on, I will show the locations in detail and the exact spots where I stand.

LOCATION 1: Coastal/Sea 

CewNgpB.jpg

LOCATION 2: Shallow, Rocky Pool

LUSNeWd.jpg

LOCATION 3: Large lakes, Algae on the rocks

nuasiEm.jpg

LOCATION 4 AND 5: Large Lake, Algae on the rocks

DtFqfdf.jpg

LOCATION 6 AND 7: Shallow, Rocky Pool

ESrV5iF.jpg

LOCATION 8 AND 9: Shallow, Rocky Pool

Xb2WxhA.jpg

For now, this is what I have to offer. I hope to help the community of Tenno in their Fishing endavours as best I can. Please feel free to message me with any added advice you may have, so that I may add to this humble guide.

Happy fishing, Tenno

Grayfox-Hunter

Edited by Grayfox-Hunter
UPDATED FINDS ON FISHING

5 hours ago, Ranchpig said:

Thanks

I find the fishing actually fun, just wish the coastal fish would spawn a bit more.    I have gone entire cycles w/o seeing any.

Also wish the BP's were reusable.  

Hey Ranchpig, sorry to hear those coastal fish are giving you are hard time! 

Try out location #1, with a squad of friends with like minded fishing efforts in mind! :D It would seem the more tenno around, the more regular the fish spawn. With some basic peppered bait, you can lure out even Murkrays, with a small one earning you 500 standing. 

Best of luck!

Note, Murkray's can in fact spawn with NO bait required. They're still a rare spawn, but they will spawn at location #1 at night with no bait if you are patient.

Something that a friend and I tested. What spear you have equipped apparently can actually effect what spawns for you. He had not upgraded to the Tulok and he had no spawns what so ever for Karkina while I had spawns happening regularly with the Tulok.

5 minutes ago, Cortanis said:

Note, Murkray's can in fact spawn with NO bait required. They're still a rare spawn, but they will spawn at location #1 at night with no bait if you are patient.

Thank you, Cortanis. These updates regarding the Murkray spawn have been added :)

I will take note of the spears potentially spawning different fish according to which is currently being used to hunt with. Also note, certain spears work better on certain fish. The Murkray will require 2 hits with the Lanzo, and only 1 with the Tulok. 

Appreciating your input! 

Grayfox-Hunter

1 hour ago, Grayfox-Hunter said:

I will take note of the spears potentially spawning different fish according to which is currently being used to hunt with. Also note, certain spears work better on certain fish. The Murkray will require 2 hits with the Lanzo, and only 1 with the Tulok. 

Interesting one to try out. Does Banshee and Slowva debuff work in regards to this? Maybe it could knock that down to a single one hit requirement regardless of which spear we use?

12 minutes ago, LIKE_A_PR3DAT0R said:

"Banshee's Sonar can be used to light up fish (Just for user)  "

i'm testing this but not work for me

same here

EDIT. It does work, but the fish have to already be spawned and it only lasts for a few moments. I think Helios needs a new mod....

Edited by Redspace0095

4 hours ago, Cortanis said:

Interesting one to try out. Does Banshee and Slowva debuff work in regards to this? Maybe it could knock that down to a single one hit requirement regardless of which spear we use?

Banshee was tested today, Sonar does work, I am updating the thread this evening, been a busy day away from the forums. Slowva has shown to have minor slow on fish, only for the user though (Already in FISHING TIPS Section) Extensive warframe ability tests are being performed daily by friends who very kindly update me on progress when I cannot be online with them. 

A thanks once more goes out to @Saber101 and BSDevo1 (who's tag seems not to be working :/)

Edited by Grayfox-Hunter

2 hours ago, Cortanis said:

CAN you scan them? Didn't even occur to me before.

I have had my Helios equipped on many a fishing run and I have not picked up scans of them. Checked the codex in case it was scanning without my knowledge (because Bugframe is a thing) but there are no fish listed there.

14 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

Without having used it the stuff for calming the fish sounds like it would be good for group fishing with the other squad members spears disrupting your fish less.

Azure, you are most intuitive! :D Yes, fishing with a squad does cause quite a bit of mayhem when everyone is tossing spears about with vigor! I have personally not unlocked the Pharoma, so if you yourself or other tenno have used it and know its results, please drop a comment here or PM so I can add to the thread :)

UPDATE ON BANSHEE SONAR: Saber101 has just given me the in depth on his test of Banshee's Sonar. I quote:

"Fish must have spawned already. Sonar pulses out sound waves in your energy color, highlighting all NPC's in the radius brightly for about 1.5 seconds before applying them with the glowing weakspots and marking them on your map. This applies to fish too, but they lack the weakspots and they are not added to your radar, so you see all the fish in the area brightly for about 1.5 seconds. It's useful only in that you can briefly see how many fish are around and where they're all at if the water is dark or they're well camouflaged. It's like a poor mans luminous dye."

This will be added to guide.