Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fishing 101 (Active Updating)

Grayfox-Hunter

So, now that bait bps are usable I've finally started bait-fishing, and I noticed something interesting, thought I'd share it and see if we can learn something together.

Specific scenario:

Spear: Tralok

Bait: Twilight

A lot of people keep saying that bait only lasts for 30 seconds, i.e. it stops working when it starts sinking. This seems to be FALSE. I've allowed my bait to disappear all the way without throwing any more, and I've still gotten continued Sharrac and Karkina spawns for a long time, possibly for 10 minutes afterwards. It's possible that bait effects actually last a lot longer than imagined, which means we can really save up on bait and increase efficiency.

Also peppered bait seems to be schmuck bait as it doesn't seem to do anything. At the very least, I was sea fishing (at the windmill base) with peppered bait and didn't see a single sharrac/karkina spawn.

On 15/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, Grayfox-Hunter said:

SPEARS        

Hide contents

Once you have earned enough Standing with the Ostrons by completing Bounties from Konzu or Incursions on the Plains of Eidolon, you will be able to purchase a Fishing Spear at fisher Hai-Luk located to the left of the stairway into Cetus.

There are 3 types of spears available as you climb the standing tree. Each one describing how it works best on a certain type of fish. I have had a fellow Tenno, @Saber101 tell me about his first few attempts with the Lanzo fishing spear. The fish he attempted to catch that -in their descriptions- say they have armored plates and carapaces over the head or so, would bounce right off them. Presumably because he didn't have the correct spear for armor piercing (Which would be the Tulok spear)

Different spears do indeed work better on certain fish. Tried catching a Murkray with a Tulok spear, it took 2 shots, @PaRaSiTe122 and @Saber101 used the Lanzo Spear and took it in 1 shot. Yet to determine which fish fall under which categories.

Once you have purchased the fishing spear you can then equip it in the Gear menu. Once equipped you can head out into the plains and find eligible bodies of water such as ponds, lakes, and the ocean. In order for fish to begin spawning the player must bring out the fishing spear from the Gear menu (Default hold Q  and select the spear).

NOTES:

• Each spear has its own advantages, read their descriptions, they do make a difference
  • The Tulok spear will take 2 hits to catch a Murkray
  • The spear flight is based on a set duration time, not distance. 
  • Having different spears equipped seems to change what spawns for you. (Contributed by @Cortanis)   
  • If you have space on your gear wheel, carry all your spears with you, so you are ready for any sitaution       
  • IMPORTANT: You MUST hold down RMB to hear bubbling and splashing fish sounds now.                  

frDqt4g.png6Iz2mj6.png   

yyjlt4J.png

WHAT SPEAR WORKS BEST ON WHAT FISH

Lanzo: (Smooth skinned fish)

• Mortus Lungfish                                     
  • Murkray

Tulok: (Armored Fish)

• Khut-Khut
  • Sharrac
  • Karkina

Peram: (Scaly Fish)

• Glappid
  •                                      

Would you be so kind, dear as to update the spear section of what spear works on what fish?
I made it so you can just review and copy past :

Spoiler

• Charc Eel
  • Mawfish
  • Mortus Lungfish                                     
  • Murkray

• Goopala 
  • Karkina
  • Khut-Khut
  • Sharrac
  • Tralok
  • Yogwun

• Cuthol
  • Glappid
  • Norg

Also, there is a small typo in "type of fish" for Glappid, you put : "Recommended Spear: Perram Spear" It's not much, but the added R will make it not show up if ppl use ctrl+f to search for peram :D

7 hours ago, Aelendril said:

Would you be so kind, dear as to update the spear section of what spear works on what fish?
I made it so you can just review and copy past :

Reveal hidden contents

• Charc Eel
  • Mawfish
  • Mortus Lungfish                                     
  • Murkray

• Goopala 
  • Karkina
  • Khut-Khut
  • Sharrac
  • Tralok
  • Yogwun

• Cuthol
  • Glappid
  • Norg

Also, there is a small typo in "type of fish" for Glappid, you put : "Recommended Spear: Perram Spear" It's not much, but the added R will make it not show up if ppl use ctrl+f to search for peram :D

Thy will shall be done :P Updating today.

15 hours ago, Madotsuki said:

So, now that bait bps are usable I've finally started bait-fishing, and I noticed something interesting, thought I'd share it and see if we can learn something together.

Specific scenario:

Spear: Tralok

Bait: Twilight

A lot of people keep saying that bait only lasts for 30 seconds, i.e. it stops working when it starts sinking. This seems to be FALSE. I've allowed my bait to disappear all the way without throwing any more, and I've still gotten continued Sharrac and Karkina spawns for a long time, possibly for 10 minutes afterwards. It's possible that bait effects actually last a lot longer than imagined, which means we can really save up on bait and increase efficiency.

Also peppered bait seems to be schmuck bait as it doesn't seem to do anything. At the very least, I was sea fishing (at the windmill base) with peppered bait and didn't see a single sharrac/karkina spawn.

I am inclined to agree with you , Madotsuki. The baits effects do some to last longer than the visual effect stays. Twilight bait I see as the upgraded version of Peppered bait (peppered with what, disappointments?) and is highly more effective. 

6 hours ago, RistN said:

Thnx for youre effort but there is lot more info in warframe.wikia page fishing.There are also detailed descriptions of each fish and where and how they can be found,how much resources and standings you get from them...

Can you trust a wiki page though? That is my question.. 

As for those details. I do show the standing, I am working on a more professional layout which will include resource drops of fish.

I was playing around and it looks like Zephyr's Jet Stream augment affects the spear speed, and since it's time-based also the max range. A max duration + max power build with Zenurik can more than double the range. Screenshots included.

Spoiler

Here's the standard throw:
PKNPT3R.jpg

And here's with Jet Stream:

KKNWLAJ.jpg

It's too far to show with the Depth of Field, which I'm too lazy to turn off:

DwhgFsr.jpg

Also one more, because I'm pretty sure that the distance between the rope and the hand is the increase in distance:
uWcU0sz.jpg

Her passive and 1 also let you "hover" over the lake in a same fashion as Ivara's zipwire (but worse) which can help you spot fish through glare if you're hard up for dye.

idk if someone been posted this or not.

- try enable the 'Toggle Aim Weapon' in control settings. it helps me a lot. less fatigue on hold that RMB.

- sliding a bit with W, A, S, D for more accurate aim, instead massively move the crosshair with mouse.

- most of all time ive spent a lot in location #8 (night time). a lot of easy Mortus Lungfishes there.

- if got some extra plats, just buy that double resources booster (optional)

Edited by bananaclove
added points

1 minute ago, bananaclove said:

idk if someone been posted this or not. but try enable the 'Toggle Aim Weapon' in control settings. it helps me a lot. less fatigue on hold that RMB.

Frankly it'd be nice if we could set that for just the spears and mining lasers. It's not worth digging into the menu every time and getting used to toggle aim is hard for me after so long.

2 minutes ago, SorainRavenshaw said:

Frankly it'd be nice if we could set that for just the spears and mining lasers. It's not worth digging into the menu every time and getting used to toggle aim is hard for me after so long.

yah, i thought so too. maybe in the future there's a dedicated setting for this like ally's mandachord. but indeed, the toggle setting has been so useful for fishing and mining. sometimes i just spending hours (in real time) just for mining and fishing. but yah, fishing still beats THO of mining ;p

1 minute ago, bananaclove said:

yah, i thought so too. maybe in the future there's a dedicated setting for this like ally's mandachord. but indeed, the toggle setting has been so useful for fishing and mining. sometimes i just spending hours (in real time) just for mining and fishing. but yah, fishing still beats THO of mining ;p

I'd do a lot of a toggle between 'minerals' and 'gems' on mining search system. Every time I hunt down a deposit and it's another red one I sigh because I've got nothing that actually uses all those metals I've been pulling out. (entirely to remove them from the sensors) Meanwhile Gems not only do I need them for later, but they have a use now.

Yes, eventually I'll want more metals... which would be why I want a toggle. Heck, simple 3 settings of 'all/metals/gems' would make my life better.

But to get back on fishing, I really hope that DE doesn't apply the nurf bat to the pond with ye old faithful screw up your shot. I've finally managed to hit the standing cap for the day for the first time thanks to piles of mortus lungfish.

15 hours ago, Grayfox-Hunter said:

Can you trust a wiki page though? That is my question.. 

This is the first time I hear this.I trusted and learned from warframe.wikia pages for 3 years,from mr 1 to mr 24.They dont have a bad reputation.I know all about the things you wrote here because I read it on wiki few days before this post.

Edited by RistN

3 minutes ago, RistN said:

This is the first time I hear this.I trusted and learned from warframe.wikia pages for 3 years,from mr 1 to mr 24.They dont have a bad reputation.As for fishing guide all of this was in wikia page way before youre post.I know all about the things you wrote here because I read it on wiki few days before this post.

To each their own preference then :)

You should add zephyr into the list of warframes. Her jetstream augment on her turbulence (3rd ability) allows her to throw the spears at higher velocities. Since the spears are based on time, she can potentially snipe out farther fish with greater accuracy.

14 hours ago, Aelendril said:

Volt is Fishing King.

Speed also makes you reel faster after throws.

Honestly I'm starting to use Volt in the plains for resourcing. Fishing he buffs the damage on throws so you can spear whatever you like as long as you hit. Finding minerals speed boost is easier to manage then bullet jumping and if the Grineer start shooting you, a good shield keeps it off while you mine. Finding nestle pods, animals or other standing resources, provided you get plenty of loot radar range? Speed boost lets you cover much more ground. Ivara's zipline is a really useful tool for fishing I'll admit and if Banshee could mark via sonar she'd have a huge perk to her name, but she really can't.

Concerning the fishing bait not being helpfull.

You need to throw it into the water near areas where you can see splashes on the surface. This increases the chance of the desired fish to spawn in incredibly.

When using murkray bait I usually got 1 to 3 murkrays to spawn in this way.

Video proof (In the second area I tried to use bait, the "rich fishing ground" despawned shortly before I threw my bait in):

I guess we can stop bashing DE now for baits being useless, we just didn't try smart enough.

12 hours ago, Gedrot said:

Concerning the fishing bait not being helpfull.

You need to throw it into the water near areas where you can see splashes on the surface. This increases the chance of the desired fish to spawn in incredibly.

When using murkray bait I usually got 1 to 3 murkrays to spawn in this way.

Video proof (In the second area I tried to use bait, the "rich fishing ground" despawned shortly before I threw my bait in):

I guess we can stop bashing DE now for baits being useless, we just didn't try smart enough.

Thanks for showing proof Gedrot! I have added the info about the eater ripples and yes, throwing that Murkray bait into those areas will give you 1-3 Murkray catches!