Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Banjo Brok, the Man Behind the Boot

MissMarifire

Many a Tenno laugh and/or groan at the sight of catching a boot. But one is to wonder, who is the culprit?

tumblr_inline_oxu022pSCO1r4rycp_540.png

Tenno, meet Banjo Brok. A disgruntled Tusk Butcher who simply wanted to spite his superiors and the Tenno that fight them, he lurks in the night to steal the boots of his fellow Grineer to throw them into the lakes and ponds of Eidolon. With his banjo, he hides in the bushes, waiting for an unsuspecting Tenno to catch one of them to ambush them with a sarcastic twang.

i'll be posting some actual art eventually i swear, i just wanted to share this creation from my fashionframe blog

Edited by MissMarifire

And so the Plains of Eidolon are graced by a new contender, sneakily seeding the waters with boots housing fishlike cloaking devices and ambushing the unfortunate Cetusians who find them. Yes, yes, the face of the new "Eidolon" has revealed itself to me now, Digital will say that the only way to wake it up. . . IS BY FISHING FOR ITS HEAD!

(Menaceing lightning + banjo twanging)

Edited by Unus

On 10/16/2017 at 2:29 PM, Imaru said:

If this character follows in the footsteps bootprints of Clem and John Prodman, I will be very amused. Good luck. 

He's become a very frequent inside joke inside of one of my servers, which is part of how he came to be. People have been getting much more excited over getting boots because of him, some even actively hunting down boots in hopes that they will befriend him.

It's adorable, really.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:39 PM, Vorcov said:

The most devious Grineer. I have fallen prey to his tactics several times now.

As have I. Sadly, he appears to flee while he is playing the banjo, lest he be caught by a surprised Tenno.

On 10/16/2017 at 5:42 PM, Unus said:

And so the Plains of Eidolon are graced by a new contender, sneakily seeding the waters with boots housing fishlike cloaking devices and ambushing the unfortunate Cetusians who find them. Yes, yes, the face of the new "Eidolon" has revealed itself to me now, Digital will say that the only way to wake it up. . . IS BY FISHING FOR ITS HEAD!

(Menaceing lightning + banjo twanging)

relevant:

5 minutes ago, CalamityDeath said:

Bless Banjo Brok.

Hide contents

img483.jpg

aaaahh thank you cal <3

On 10/21/2017 at 4:23 AM, Rhekemi said:

There was only one NPC concept I wanted DE to add before now. Thanks to Banjo Bork, now there are two.

XSb9WMV.png

He seems to be fitting into that role quite well.

On 10/22/2017 at 5:26 AM, Rhekemi said:

Some additional lore theories are in the comments of your subreddit thread. Use whatever you want, my friend. 

It's why I posted it on Reddit. His simplicity made me comfortable to post it on it, and I'm thankful that the only complaints I've received that weren't positive weren't even on Reddit- simply a couple people on Tumblr complaining that we don't need another Clem. 

I think Banjo Brok's a unique guy on his own, though.

That aside, I've read through all the lore theories and whatnot from the thread. My favorite theories are that he solely steals right boots due to it being an immense insult in Grineer culture, and that he has his own trailer armored vault that he uses to get from place-to-place without the Grineer suspecting him. I think the top-left or bottom-right corner of the map would be perfect spots for him to pitch a camp:

Spoiler

vOkEzOf.jpg

6o8XtDT.jpg

Him and his camp could be a rare spawn, with a couple locations where he could be at being one of these two areas. When spawned, nearby fish will spawn at 1.5x rate. If one sticks around for long enough, Banjo Brok will attempt and successfully catch a fish for them by throwing one of the many, many right-foot boots he's stolen into the water.

I've kind of been toying around with the concept of player camping on the Plains of Eidolon, too, but figuring everything out has been a bit rough.

Should players talk to him, it'll trigger a small quest. He'll tell his tale to the Tenno, and that since they were interested in hearing his story, he asks them to raid all the major camps of their right boots within one night cycle, throwing them out so that they wouldn't be found, with the result being giving the Tenno the pleasure of watching the Grineer squirm. Recognizing the feat that Banjo Brok and the Tenno have done, Konzu laughs alongside them and allows Banjo Brok access to Cetus for his "kind gestures" against the Grineer.

I like the idea of the quest rewarding players who do it with a banjo instrument for the Mandachord, too.

If players finish the quest, they can find Banjo Brok in the large gazebo in the center of Cetus, playing his banjo with Clem by his side playing a makeshift drum. Idle chatter hints that Clem is his cousin, visiting Cetus after hearing about Brok's whereabouts. With the boots that they catch, players can buy Grineer-themed Operator clothing (blueprints?) for their Operator to wear, namely actual boots and a boot hat.

2 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

XSb9WMV.png

He seems to be fitting into that role quite well.

It's why I posted it on Reddit. His simplicity made me comfortable to post it on it, and I'm thankful that the only complaints I've received that weren't positive weren't even on Reddit- simply a couple people on Tumblr complaining that we don't need another Clem. 

I think Banjo Brok's a unique guy on his own, though.

That aside, I've read through all the lore theories and whatnot from the thread. My favorite theories are that he solely steals right boots due to it being an immense insult in Grineer culture, and that he has his own trailer armored vault that he uses to get from place-to-place without the Grineer suspecting him. I think the top-left or bottom-right corner of the map would be perfect spots for him to pitch a camp:

Hide contents

vOkEzOf.jpg

6o8XtDT.jpg

Him and his camp could be a rare spawn, with a couple locations where he could be at being one of these two areas. When spawned, nearby fish will spawn at 1.5x rate. If one sticks around for long enough, Banjo Brok will attempt and successfully catch a fish for them by throwing one of the many, many right-foot boots he's stolen into the water.

I've kind of been toying around with the concept of player camping on the Plains of Eidolon, too, but figuring everything out has been a bit rough.

Should players talk to him, it'll trigger a small quest. He'll tell his tale to the Tenno, and that since they were interested in hearing his story, he asks them to raid all the major camps of their right boots within one night cycle, throwing them out so that they wouldn't be found, with the result being giving the Tenno the pleasure of watching the Grineer squirm. Recognizing the feat that Banjo Brok and the Tenno have done, Konzu laughs alongside them and allows Banjo Brok access to Cetus for his "kind gestures" against the Grineer.

I like the idea of the quest rewarding players who do it with a banjo instrument for the Mandachord, too.

If players finish the quest, they can find Banjo Brok in the large gazebo in the center of Cetus, playing his banjo with Clem by his side playing a makeshift drum. Idle chatter hints that Clem is his cousin, visiting Cetus after hearing about Brok's whereabouts. With the boots that they catch, players can buy Grineer-themed Operator clothing (blueprints?) for their Operator to wear, namely actual boots and a boot hat.

The only ONLY improvements I can see to this are 
1. Banjo is to sneaky to have a Vault. Instead, he pilots a submarine from destination to destination. For inland work, he dons a heavy diving suit with the fingers free, just to allow him to play his miraculous much-ridiculed Grineer invention that gave him "The Boot" (his object of obsession) from the Empire, the underwater-playable banjo.

2. I think these particular defectives all came from one particular batch in the Empire that was really hard to catch. Something in the code went wrong and instead of "Independent Grineer Capable of Loyal Independent Decision -making". . . . .they got creative grineer. Art the Empire doesn't need. Clem could have been part of the busted first batch, Brok could be from a more refined second batch before the geneticists threw up their hands and squealed "F^$k IT!" and scrapped future batches.

As an aside, for some reason, I can't help but imagine him as either being A. A mute who talks in pictures he draws or B. If its more then three words, he has to say it in song verse of some kind, be it country, rap, rock, jazz, etc.

Just my further two cents on the next generation of Warframedom History being made.

Edited by Unus

On 10/23/2017 at 11:32 PM, Unus said:

The only ONLY improvements I can see to this are 
1. Banjo is to sneaky to have a Vault. Instead, he pilots a submarine from destination to destination. For inland work, he dons a heavy diving suit with the fingers free, just to allow him to play his miraculous much-ridiculed Grineer invention that gave him "The Boot" (his object of obsession) from the Empire, the underwater-playable banjo.

2. I think these particular defectives all came from one particular batch in the Empire that was really hard to catch. Something in the code went wrong and instead of "Independent Grineer Capable of Loyal Independent Decision -making". . . . .they got creative grineer. Art the Empire doesn't need. Clem could have been part of the busted first batch, Brok could be from a more refined second batch before the geneticists threw up their hands and squealed "F^$k IT!" and scrapped future batches.

As an aside, for some reason, I can't help but imagine him as either being A. A mute who talks in pictures he draws or B. If its more then three words, he has to say it in song verse of some kind, be it country, rap, rock, jazz, etc.

Just my further two cents on the next generation of Warframedom History being made.

Hey now, Unus, sometimes simplicity is the best route to go with things. While the Noxus isn't that, Banjo Brok definitely is.

I love the thought of him singing most of what he says, though. Wrap it all up with a hearty Southern accent and we got ourselves a lovely little character. My heart would warm up upon hearing a happy "Howdy, Tenno!" from the little guy.

How he gets the accent? Hell, like I know. Maybe its some kinda aesthetic thing that he wants to keep going.

Edited by MissMarifire

2 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

Hey now, Unus, sometimes simplicity is the best route to go with things. While the Noxus isn't that, Banjo Brok definitely is.

I love the thought of him singing most of what he says, though. Wrap it all up with a hearty Southern accent and we got ourselves a lovely little character. My heart would warm up upon hearing a happy "Howdy, Tenno!" from the little guy.

How he gets the accent? Hell, like I know. Maybe its some kinda aesthetic thing that he wants to keep going.

Heh, you know me Madam Marifire, give me an anthill and I'll give you a three-chapter saga about an ant's version of the Tower of Babel.

That said, hehehe, that's what I was aimin for! Everything becomes a really cheesy Billy Ray Cyrus music video with an old tyme sepia tint on the camera when he shows up.

Edited by Unus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...