Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavias Metronome - Headaches/Seizures

L3thargy

Hey there.. im aware this topic was discussed already and apparently received an FX update.

But I still have big issues with this in certain tilesets.

Im getting a headache and feel extremely distracted by my active metronome FX.

(and im not even sensitive to lights - im working as a light operator)

Especially in PoE it feels very strong (different lighting? different brightness and contrast?).

Same issue in earth tilesets.

I've set my energy color to pitchblack, but the rings still flash white and bright when hitting a line (which happens alot).

I want to enjoy the view in the plains and not put on sunglasses to compensate the bright rings ;)

Any other energy color besides black is extremely distracting and feels like as if it could be dangerous.

Hope you can take a look at this again.. Im pretty sure that the energy effect when successfully "hitting" a line can be toned down by alot.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by L3thargy

Hey, I've spent hours playing with my graphics settings - just to find a way to reduce the brightness of those energy effects.

Already disabled Blur and Glare of course. Dont want to significantly turn down my graphics settings tbh.

Maybe doing a video about this issue today and see if that gets attention.

I play Octavia a lot and it's definitely a huge issue, especially at night in the plains and in some other tilesets as well. I often will close my eyes or look away from the screen when I'm crouching to re-buff stealth, but even just the brief flash from each slide when you're sliding and leaping across the plains is extremely bright and annoying.

I tried several energy colors, but they all flash bright when crouching. I stuck with pure black since the rings are annoying also with other colors. I also use a constant beat to make it easier to buff, which I think may make it worse. Perhaps none of the devs ever tested her with a constant beat and never experienced how blinding it is when you crouch, or tested it on some of the tilesets where it's not as bad for whatever reason. 

I get that they wanted to have some indicator that you're hitting the beat correctly, but when you have a constant beat anyway, you don't need any indication at all because you're hitting it automatically 90% of the time. 

nEmMUGa.gif

I grew up with seizure inducing shows and i'm fine with it, but personally for me it's really more about being simply obstructing when it covers everything below you vertically.

S25WMGk.jpg

Trigger it fast enough and it becomes opaque. Plain white and it isn't affected by energy colour, etc.

Can't see anything.

Edited by Wesgile

On 10/19/2017 at 4:20 PM, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

Honestly not to be a $&*^ or anything, Warframe does have siezure warnings and well most of the abilities flash pretty consistently. My suggestion is to not play Octavia and to leave missions with Octavia in them. 

I've played every frame in the game, the issue with Metrome is worse than the average flashing or visual mess/nightmare of other abilities, particularly on certain tilesets/in the dark. As you see above, it also just blocks your view as well, even if the bright flashes don't otherwise bother you. 

It can easily be fixed. The flashing is completely unnecessary, especially if you have a constant beat where you do not need a visual indicator showing that you're hitting the beat since you're automatically hitting the beat 90% of the time. The fix could be as simple as:

1) adding a cooldown to how often the animation will flash

2) reducing the intensity of the change in color/brightness when it does happen

3) Another alternative idea would be to add an option to change the intensity/completely disable the effect. We already have sound specific options for Octavia, might as well throw in a video settings as well. 

Edited by Borg1611

I think the posts above mine emphasize the problem quite well..

the most efficient way to set up ur metronome is to have a constant stream of lines to get the buffs "passively"

while it may not cause health issues for some people (not saying theres no risk for others) it does obstruct vision and distracts from

whatever is happening around..

If I would be a streamer (and i thought about streaming) I could/would not choose to play octavia, coz that would be quite annoying to watch..

Reducing the intensity of the flashing effects when u "hit a line" would help alot in this case..

I hope DE will find some time to adress this

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2018-05-02 at 2:52 AM, Scege said:

what is it specifically that's bugging you guys?
I use octavia all the time and have never noticed anything

Over a third of the screen flashing white. See pictures and imagine it flashing off and on in quick succession.