Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Big Picture Mode: Game doesn't save Fullscreen/Borderless Fullscreen display mode settings after game restart

LuckyFennec

When launching the game via Steam's Big Picture Mode (to enable full Xbox gamepad functionality), the game does not save the changes made to Display Mode (eg. changing from Fullscreen to Borderless Fullscreen, or vice versa) the next time the game is launched.

I've tested making the same changes launching the game via Steam normally (no BPM), and it remembers and saves changes to the Display Mode correctly the next time I load up the game.

Also note that as long as Big Picture Mode is used to start Warframe, even checking/unchecking Fullscreen from the Warframe launcher doesn't affect the Display Mode resetting to its previous setting from the last play session once in-game.

Repro steps:

1) Using Steam, turn Big Picture Mode on, then launch Warframe.

2) Observe that the Warframe launcher now starts. Start the game by clicking Play.

3) Once in game, go to Options > Display > Display Mode, then change it (Fullscreen to Borderless Fullscreen, or vice versa)

4) Confirm the changes.

5) Observe how the new Display Mode setting is correctly applied to the current game session.

6) Exit Warframe

7) Launch Warframe using Big Picture Mode again (just repeat Steps 1 & 2)

8) Once in-game, go to Options > Display > Display Mode and observe that it has reset the changes made in Step 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you posted this recently I'll take the time to bump this because I want the devs to look at this too. I imagine since BPM launches Warframe in a more console style mode this forced full screen thing is something left over from their console-like code that's used to handle this since fullscreen generally has slightly higher frame rate but makes using multitasking on PC irritating. I can assure the devs however it's totally unnecessary there's not been a single game session I've played with gamepad that I haven't changed to borderless fullscreen and had 0 issues with. Unless this is just left over code from the console style builds like I hypothesized I don't see why this does this but yeah it's bothered me too ever since I got a Steam Controller and occasionally sit back and play on it.

Unless this has something to do with streaming it to a steam link better or something I have no idea why it does this, in any case if you're not playing it that way it's fairly irritating and it should fixed even if it has to store a separate set of video settings for a BPM vs. desktop launch

Edited by Drex83

Going to go ahead and chime in here as well. I just recently purchased a Steam Controller. Love the damn thing, but this is dampening the mood with it. In addition to it forcing fullscreen mode every time I start the game, it makes my TV blank out for a second (as if switching inputs, resolutions, etc) which results in losing sound. I have to not only change the resolution, I have to change the sound back to the TV so I can hear the game. Getting a tad annoying to say the least. I've stopped changing the resolution and just go straight to changing the sound back now because I don't want to have to go into the options twice, let alone once.

Really hope this gets addressed because I know quite a few people with this problem. SC is very convenient and fun to play with, but this is kind of taking the fun out of it. I just want to get in game and play, not have to fiddle with options before doing what I want.

• 3 months later...

I play in normal Steam mode but I use a Steam Controller and the game keeps resetting to full screen mode. Maybe it's the buttons UI or something?

Also I get weird UI things like not being able to increase the number of items, for example the number of mod cards selected before I sell them for endo, I have to enter the number on the keyboard, this used to work for sure. I had to reset the game in keyboard and mouse mode during a trade one time because I couldn't figure out how to increase the platinum amount since the buttons didn't work. This game really needs a instant UI change between KB/Mouse and controller. Also allow both to be used without any delay in changing so that if I want to use the controller left analog for movement, and a mouse look map for the right touch pad it won't suddenly stop the walk joypad from registering when I look around on the pad.

It is annoying that when I want to trade or something I have to relaunch in kb/mouse mode, especially for the bigger chat window.

Edited by Ploidz
Added a P.S.