Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strategic positioning of the consumables

.Zel

Many have suggested a proper tutorial for conclave to introduce certain things that are mostly used only in conclave, such as utilizing the parkour/movement. A line of text isn't always necessary to deliver the message, certain changes to the environment or the items positioned in the map can appeal to the player's subconscious hinting them what they need to do in order to attain something as well as understand the flow of gameplay. 

I will only include how repositioning consumables in the map can incentivize the proper use of movement for new players early on in the game, just so that when they leave RC they will not feel overwhelmed among players who do utilize the movement. 

I feel that offering a player the opportunity to figure out what to do rather than telling them what to do has a much better effect, will also make the player feel a sense of achievement and create further interest. This thread explores the possibility of guiding the player in such a way by repositioning the consumables around the map.

This thread won't thoroughly include every map and all the consumables, but some examples to give people an idea of the point i am trying to make.

Example 1:

Current state

In the current state a player can just walk or sprint to get that energy orb, Almost everyone in RC does it and some out of RC also do it. There's nothing in the game hinting them the relevance of movement in Conclave and players who use proper movement to mow down others won't make them think about it, rather make them complain and not give the mode another chance as we have seen so far.

Repositioned

I would prefer if it was positioned on the roof(among the 3 proposed positions) so that players won't be able to stand on the objects to get the Orb if it is positioned on the side of the wall.

Putting it on the roof wouldn't be fully out of reach either, I tested it myself in game and it only takes 1 bullet jump(Don't even need to use Quick Melee to thrust yourself) to reach that spot on the roof.

A player in need of energy will notice the orb and if he/she tries to Consume the orb then he/she will remember back to the basic Warframe tutorial where one is taught how to bullet jump.

No need for a big text to tell them they need to bullet jump towards it, the obvious positioning itself is a hint and if not within the 1st try then surely within 5-7 tries a player will understand what needs to be done to get that orb and hence utilise the movement.

Example 2:

Current State 

This is a popular spot, if there is 1 or more Frost/Ember in the game then there's a good chance you will find them camping in there all the time with either Snow Globe or ready to slam a fire ring on the floor to kill anyone low on hp going in there. This room encourages camping and the health orb in there gives some people confidence that players low on hp will enter it for which they can camp it for easy kills.

Again, no incentive to utilize the movement but motivating them to camp in a single spot.

Repositioned

The whole room can be removed if anything as it serves no purpose to the fast paced gameplay of Conclave especially when the doors bug out often both from inside and outside. The flow of the game mode is to keep moving, it's fast paced so it does not need a cover/room for people to hide in and regain their hp/shields.

The 2 new positions in the picture, again not difficult to reach and just a bullet jump away, new HP orb can be positioned in either one of those spots. People low on HP will obviously try to get it and will be forced to make use of the movement system.

Example 3:

For this i wouldn't propose positioning the orbs on the side of a wall or on the roof as on certain parts of the map(shown below) it's not easy to parkour on/wall latch on as it is on a flat wall.

Still there is a possible way to incentivise movement even around a map like that rather than just leaving consumables on the floor. It's a big open map, freedom of movement available is ever more great.

Current State

There it is right under those 2 big water tanks, on the floor. I've often see players take cover behind those 2 tanks and try to shoot by peeking out CS:GO/CoD style only to be headshotted by someone passing over them. Players will stay grounded as most common shooter games have little movement involved, most people are experienced with those and they play like that in Conclave which causes them to get easily killed unless they have really good aim.

Repositioned

Leaving the Orb hanging like that 7-13m off of the ground will make the player find ways to attain it and in this case because it's hanging from the tree, there is just so many possible ways a player can try to get it but 0 chance of trying to get it just by sprinting/walking.

The arena is their playground and they will play around with the movement system once they get a better grasp of it. They will get a better grasp of the movement system only if they use it more and i feel like implementing this i.e strategically repositioning the consumables(Health Orbs/Energy Orbs/Ammo) in such a way to make them unreachable to those who are grounded will force them to move like they are supposed to and in time they will realise that movement is a key part of this game, it has a much greater relevance than in any other well known shooter.

These are just simple examples and I am sure grounded players don't know certain locations in different map.

^I'm pretty sure most of them haven't noticed that health orb all the way up there in the map. This is because it's way out of the line of sight of anyone on the ground.

tl;dr: Make all the consumables clearly visible on plain sight but only make them reachable via proper utilisation of the movement system. 

This will do a lot of good for many players in the long term, little changes like this can make a big impact, Guidance comes in many forms.

Edited by .Zel

The whole room can be removed if anything as it serves no purpose to the fast paced gameplay of Conclave especially when the doors bug out often both from inside and outside. The flow of the game mode is to keep moving, it's fast paced so it does not need a cover/room for people to hide in and regain their hp/shields.

I feel that the room creates more interesting engagements than non-interesting ones. Players popping in to pick up health may be greeted by smart players who wait at the other door, or the chaser gets punished for camping as the runner goes out the same door he went in, or he waits and then several players pile into the room, etc. While the room may be awkward, I think a little awkwardness in the maps is interesting (to clarify- not the random protrusions that you get stuck on). I don't think conclave maps should be completely optimized for constant parkour in all places. 

That said, the other rest of your re-positionings are appropriate for the mode.

Edited by Witchydragon