Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe "uninstalled" itself?!

Acersecomic

Question

So... I just had a hard crash, of sorts. I was doing a bounty and then the game froze for a few seconds, minimized itself and then continued going, I could shoot and all but... I was looking at my desktop and I could not raise the game up. The only thing I could do was to force close the game through the Task Managed, which resulted in the screen going black, FOREVER. I restarted my PC and poof, problem. Starting Warframe launcher prompts Steam installation for a new game. Tried manually starting but that does absolutely nothing. Warframe also no longer exists in my game library nor can it be found by looking for it to add as a non-steam game. The game still exists on the PC, in all its 22,8GB glory. It just... refuses to aknowledge its existence.

So before I delete the game manually and reinstall it, I'd like to hear if there is a solution. I will submit this exact text to support as well.

• Like 1

I have had this problem several times. It seemed to me when it occurred that steam for some reason no longer considered it a steam game and wanted to force a download to the game. So, as steam often does when downloading updates, it moved the entire file to downloads, and checked for differences between the current file and what the server says should be there. Apparently steam finds disparities in every file and then replaces every file with a new one. I have not tested with other games on steam, but the only time steam has done this for me was when I forced the computer to shut down (it the computer's power button) without closing steam first. It seems to me that when steam does not close properly it occasionally corrupts game files.

On 10/23/2017 at 3:11 AM, raz143 said:

I have had this problem several times. It seemed to me when it occurred that steam for some reason no longer considered it a steam game and wanted to force a download to the game. So, as steam often does when downloading updates, it moved the entire file to downloads, and checked for differences between the current file and what the server says should be there. Apparently steam finds disparities in every file and then replaces every file with a new one. I have not tested with other games on steam, but the only time steam has done this for me was when I forced the computer to shut down (it the computer's power button) without closing steam first. It seems to me that when steam does not close properly it occasionally corrupts game files.

Both of our games went black, some incompatibility with current build and graphic drivers is my guess perhaps some sort of script error etc, I could hear gunfire but see nothing since task manager held no promise since I can't see task manager 'total black screen' I forced PC off everything was fine on restart but warframe had uninstalled itself.

I went into steam apps saw all the files there but it wouldn't run the .exe file I clicked install it realised existing files are there but then purged a lot of content and I'll be waiting 7hrs to get it back.

This just happened to me too - Chillin' in my orbiter and screen went black, so had to do a hard reboot. When the computer started back up my Warframe folder in the Steam\apps\common\   folder was only 40Mb, instead of 20Gb. So yeah, it uninstalled itself. Same here, just had to reinstall. This seems like a pretty serious bug.

if you have a bluray writer, you can copy it to a disk after it's downloaded, then if you need to reinstall you can just copy it back and update. If not, you can copy it to thumbdrive or SD card, although that might take a while. 

Of course, you could always store it in the cloud....:clem:

3 hours ago, Garbor said:

Just got the same bug, screen went black when i was in my orbiter, restarted pc, fired up warframe to be greeted with a 20gb download. Sleek coding DE.

The problem isn't DE the problem is Valve. It is the Steam launcher that is losing track of the game.

Then it appears to go through some level of file validation which flags the updated files as mismatched to the hash it has since the files Steam has are out of date. What Steam then does is re-download a bunch of outdated files to replace the (more current) mismatched files. 

When all that is done the Warframe downloader recognizes all of the freshly downloaded outdated files as out of date and re-re-downloads all of the updates Steam just diligently downgraded. 

It isn’t Steam. I have just had the same issue and I am not using Steam. Just using the installer from the website. All I did was Quit from the menu. Came back an hour later and Warframe was completely gone. Directory on the drive I installed it on was gone. Nothing in Recycle Bin. Anti virus isn’t showing anything deleted or Quarantined. 

5 minutes ago, lordkamone said:

wtf happen to be the second time this one, and im tired to unistall and install again, i got destiny 2 but i didn't want to download all that stuff. Thx guys i think it's the moment to give him a try byebye

That should go well...

Everyone else, check this post.

Edited by NullSaint