Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Default Skins for Alt Weapons

FlecktarnWolf

As far as aesthetics go, we all agree that more options are better. Looking through a lot of my appearance 'sets', I realize that I actually prefer default, less ostentatious skins than alternative ones like Prime weapons. There was a MASSIVE step forward in the ability to color Vandal and Wraith weapons (thank you SO MUCH DE!), but I would love to see the ability to "toggle off" prime skins and show the weapons' "parent" skin instead. 

Best example I have is my Braton Prime. I adore the thing. I've sunk four forma into it. I could never go back to using the old, standard Braton statistically... But here comes the new Braton skin redux, and man does it look glorious, and man do I want to sport that. Using the Kintsugi skins as a stop-gap is like duct-tape to fix a leak, just doesn't feel as satisfying as the real thing.

Who agrees? Would you like to toggle off alt skins/use defaults on your weapons? Additions? Concerns?

14 hours ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

Technically the primes came first, so it would...Why am I even trying to argue on somethinmg here?

DE, please, we need this.

Yeah, the fact that we can apply the 'base' weapon's premium skins sets a precedent of being able to customize one's prime weapons to *not* look like the Prime weapons. Really, I feel like lore is secondary to aesthetics when it comes to a lot of things in Warframe, especially with the advent of the Tennogen projects. 

On 10/23/2017 at 3:11 PM, RikerWatts said:

It should bear the same functionality as prime frames, wherein upon having a mastery 30 (or being built I don't remember which) you get the ability to apply the non-primed version to the prime.

would certainly be nice.

If DE wants to add a gameplay element to the customization, sure. I could think of a few options there:

• Available from the get-go, since if you have the Prime/Wraith/Vandal/Whatever variant, you've 'earned' the 'lesser' variant's appearance.
  • Restrict skins to ones you have in your arsenal. Leads to hoarding/"gotta catch'em all" mentality, wherein players collect every variant in the quest for Fashion Frame.
  • Restrict access to skins to ones you have current *and* have owned in the past, where just the act of earning the weapon in the past gives you access to the weapon skin. EX: I have a Snipetron Vandal, sell my old Snipetron, but can still use the regular Snipetron skin on my Vandal variant because I used to own it.

I could see them adding elements like "you earn access to the default skin upon reaching Mastery Rank 30 with x" where x is either the weapon you want to customize, or the weapon you want the skin of.

Really I think the reason this is so much on my mind is that we can apply melee weapon skins to... well, *every* weapon of the same category, so I really don't see reason to restrict this overmuch.