Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spring-Loaded Blade Could Use a Buff

ShadowFel

So, I recently managed to acquire Spring-Loaded Blade, one of the new mods introduced with Plains of Eidolon.  And...it seems terrible.  At max rank, it gives +30% range for 24 seconds on status effect, and it doesn't appear to stack at all.  It doesn't even compete with normal Reach, let alone Primed Reach, and, with a drain of 9, it has a higher drain than normal Reach too. 

Now, I could just be wrong, and it does stack, and I'm just being foolish and blind (it doesn't have a numerical UI indicator like Berserker does, which doesn't help my uncertainty).  But even then, if it does stack, it still doesn't compete with Primed Reach, whereas its sister, Berserker, serves as good competition for Primed Fury.   

Maybe...bump it up a bit?  +60% range for 24 seconds on status effect, stacking up to 200%, or something (just throwing numbers at the wall, really).  As is, it's a bit too lackluster to use on its own, and it's not a big enough bonus to justify using it in addition to Primed Reach (or even regular Reach, really) when you could use that mod slot for one of the many more useful melee mods.

If I'm wrong about it stacking, or it's actually much stronger than I'm saying in some way that I'm not thinking of, please correct and inform me.  Also, if it does stack, it would be nice to have visible numbers in the in-mission UI to show how much it stacks.

52 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

Why should it compete?  You use it if, after installing Primed reach, you still feel like your melee doesn't have enough range.

But at this point its better to just shoot em, no?

Yeah, I don't even understand how this Mod made it into the live build. We already have reach mods. And if you really want more range, use your gun. With the few exceptions of whips and sword whip combos, melee should be about getting up close and personal, not waving around a 20 foot pole.

Edited by Ceryk

I feel like the "use guns for more range" is missing the point... The new mod adds LESS range for MORE drain in ADDITION to requiring a status proc to take effect.

Sure, guns have the most range, but they don't have a stacking combo counter (except snipers/arca sisco, but those are still a bit different).

The new mod is pretty pointless unless it does actually stack.

8 hours ago, Kainosh said:

Why should it compete?  You use it if, after installing Primed reach, you still feel like your melee doesn't have enough range.

But at this point its better to just shoot em, no?

I mean, devoting a quarter of your available mod slots to range is questionable enough, without one of those range mods giving a tiny, barely noticeable boon anyways.  I mean, with Orthos Prime, one of the poster children of long-reaching melees, I had to try hard to see the difference between with or without the mod, with no Reach mod on there anyways.  The relative bonus that it would give with Reach or Primed Reach on there really wouldn't be noticeable.  I was hoping this mod would add some variety to a build on some status polearms or whips, but even a normal Reach mod seems to outdo it, so it barely has a reason to exist, let alone be so difficult to obtain.