Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FIX for most Update Failed! and Launcher Errors!

Phazerade

I have been searching for this fix day and night for roughly 30 hours now and finally got it to work!

If you have been having Bad Image! or Update Failed! errors, this will likely get you back into the game.

If this dosent fix the Launcher for you I apologize, but this is kind of a last resort kind of deal.

Type "uninstall" into your search bar, "Add and Remove Programs" should pop up. Click it.

Type "Visual" into the search bar and several Microsoft Visual C++ 20XX Redistributables should pop up. If they dont you probably have to install them, the lack of proper C++ Redistributables is causing the error for most people. This is often caused by a faulty system update (Thanks Microsoft!) or fooling around with sys32 files by accident.

Starting at 2010 forward (2010-2015 usually), click each and select "Modify" (you may need to right click on each depending on operating system).

Select "Repair" on each window for each one (only repair one at a time, each one should take 5-30 seconds).

Once you have repaired each, run Command Prompt as an administrator and type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes). This will scan your core files and make sure everything looks good.

Restart your computer (the repairs will have no effect until you restart) and re-run the Warframe launcher. It should work.

If this fails, try repairing the C++ Redistributables previous to 2010, then if that dosent work uninstalling and reinstalling each (2010+) off of the OFFICIAL Microsoft website, never download important sys32 files from outside sources.

Edited by Phazerade
  • Like 7

On 10/23/2017 at 11:04 PM, Phazerade said:

I have been searching for this fix day and night for roughly 30 hours now and finally got it to work!

If you have been having Bad Image! or Update Failed! errors, this will likely get you back into the game.

If this dosent fix the Launcher for you I apologize, but this is kind of a last resort kind of deal.

Type "uninstall" into your search bar, "Add and Remove Programs" should pop up. Click it.

Type "Visual" into the search bar and several Microsoft Visual C++ 20XX Redistributables should pop up. If they dont you probably have to install them, the lack of proper C++ Redistributables is causing the error for most people. This is often caused by a faulty system update (Thanks Microsoft!) or fooling around with sys32 files by accident.

Starting at 2010 forward (2010-2015 usually), click each and select "Modify" (you may need to right click on each depending on operating system).

Select "Repair" on each window for each one (only repair one at a time, each one should take 5-30 seconds).

Once you have repaired each, run Command Prompt as an administrator and type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes). This will scan your core files and make sure everything looks good.

Restart your computer (the repairs will have no effect until you restart) and re-run the Warframe launcher. It should work.

If this fails, try repairing the C++ Redistributables previous to 2010, then if that dosent work uninstalling and reinstalling each (2010+) off of the OFFICIAL Microsoft website, never download important sys32 files from outside sources.

Hi,

Many many thanks! It worked for me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 2:56 PM, Sinafey said:

OMG man ur a genius...this helped me too ;D DE should employ u as a technician in support xD

Im just happy to help. A lot of people have been having this issue with no response from DE (me included!) so I figured I would do my best to figure it out and got lucky :P

No work, please help me fix this I am so tired it treats like this every update ( iuse steam but steam foces u to use client cuz it's outdated)

=> founds like 200 mb of data

=> skips to 100%

=> says update failed

sometimes it manages to download barely some Mbs like 4-5 instead of 100% goes to 96% and downloads them there, well sometimes, means I got to restart my client 1000 times to download 200 mb, PLEASE HELP ME , can someone just uplaod a damn torrent or direct link ...

3 hours ago, ShadoSteel said:

No work, please help me fix this I am so tired it treats like this every update ( iuse steam but steam foces u to use client cuz it's outdated)

=> founds like 200 mb of data

=> skips to 100%

=> says update failed

sometimes it manages to download barely some Mbs like 4-5 instead of 100% goes to 96% and downloads them there, well sometimes, means I got to restart my client 1000 times to download 200 mb, PLEASE HELP ME , can someone just uplaod a damn torrent or direct link ...

This sounds pretty typical to this fix, are you sure it didnt work? Make sure to follow each step.

If that didnt work I have some other things that might help.

1) Try reinstalling the client

2) Try running in administrator mode

6 hours ago, Luciole77 said:

not for me

6 hours ago, BlackMatlock said:

Didn't work :(

If this didnt work for you, I know people who have had success with the following:
1) Run in admin mode
2) Reinstalling the entire client
3) Running Warframe either through or outside Steam (it seems for some reason Steam fixes it for some people and ruins it for others)

If none of these work I recommend reading other topics in this forum (like you probably have been already!) and see if someone figured out an alternate solution.

Best of luck!

It has come to my attention a recent Windows update has FUBAR'd the Visual files for a ton of people. This topic should guide you through fixing it, but if none of the previously mentioned solutions work, at least we know what is causing a lot of the issues.

Yeah, I tried this and it didn't work. But I agree that this has something to do with Windows. I even tried uninstalling and use the regular launcher (not steam) and even that is showing the error without the game installed. I'm wondering if it's possible for Warframe to release a launcher without using those dependencies in the meantime. Really sucks since I just missed a potato and the current events.

The recent Nvidia update has also created problems for other games as well (particularly GeForce Experience). It's safe to say that doing a clean install of your video drivers after this fix should also be considered.

I don't know what this means, but maybe some of you more tech savvy guys will get more of a clue about the situation:

I can run it through openVPN. It's laggy and stuff is warping like hell but at least it did run. Visited the plains for the first time.

I also tried the IPv6 trick but nothing.

Next I'm gonna try to install ALL the vcredist packages again. (2005 --->)

Edited by BlackMatlock
Fixed wrong date

3 hours ago, STATIS said:

The recent Nvidia update has also created problems for other games as well (particularly GeForce Experience). It's safe to say that doing a clean install of your video drivers after this fix should also be considered.

Yeah its one of the latest windows updates, Geforce is a new one though. I personally install all my stuff through the Geforce Experience client. Its buggy and slow af, and you have to run as admin on most computers or it dosent even work, but its been reliable for me in making sure i havent had any driver issues.

37 minutes ago, BlackMatlock said:

Installed all vcredists again. Didn't help.

If you can run it ONLY though a VPN its an IP issue. I had a similar issue where I could only play single player while in college. Either that or you've been a naughty fella and got IP banned for... how do you even get IP banned in Warframe???

4 minutes ago, Phazerade said:

If you can run it ONLY though a VPN its an IP issue. I had a similar issue where I could only play single player while in college. Either that or you've been a naughty fella and got IP banned for... how do you even get IP banned in Warframe???

I read (can't remember where anymore I've been through so many sites now. Maybe Reddit or maybe here who knows..) that there has been some mass IP -issues since 2013. Also read that people have been known to get an IP -ban somehow unintentionally.

I've not been a naughty boy :) I've been talking to support already and given them all the logs and info they need to investigate. I think they would have rubbed it in my face if there was something fishy going on on my end.

I also read on the forums that there have been a lot of cases where people can't sign in or being told that the login info is wrong. This is how my problem first started. Launcher said my info is incorrect. After many tries it did occur to me, that maybe I'm blocked after too many failed attempts. Password change did nothing. Also thought that maybe I'm hacked or something. I could however sign in on the website normally so my account couldn't be hijacked.

After this, the whole "update failed" thingie started.

Boy what a mess :D

Hi all,

Today Microsoft released a huge "Creator Update" for Windows 10 which may be the cause of the issue and is taking many computers hours to fully download and install. If this fixes the issues, the original problem is probably due to the last updates that were preparing for this one. I'll follow up when this finishes and see if there's still more troubleshooting to be done after this listing steps if necessary.

I'm an IT guy and am applying this update across 11 or more PCs now. It's a serious behemoth...

EDIT: The update is Creator Update 1709. Still more updates to follow this one as well.

EDIT2: Went through all updates, reinstalled, applied all troubleshooting/compatibility fixes, still have the connection error. So pretty assured now it's a network issue. Talking with support about the issue further. Also gunna cross out my post.. doesn't add anything to the solution anymore.

Edited by STATIS
  • Like 2

This was the case for me (reply from support):

"...when the system detects malicious traffic, usually related to a botnet on your system or even from the ISP, our system blocks the IP. This way we can protect your account and make sure whatever malicious traffic that was detected does not gain access to it. Unfortunately, it leads to temporary service interruptions until those threats subside and normal traffic is permitted."

An hour or so before things returned to normal again, I had ran a full system scan with my antivirus (bitdefender). 1 malicious item was found and dealt with.

Anyone still struggling might want to try scanning their comp. Might help. I don't know was it the system cleaning that helped, or was it something they did on their end.

Edited by BlackMatlock
  • Like 1

I was able to finally fix my issue. Yay! May be unique to me, I don't know for sure. Here are my steps:

- In windows find Control Panel > Network and Internet

- Go to Internet Options

- In the Connections Tab, make sure the VPN/Proxy settings list are clear.

- In the Connections Tab, go to LAN Settings

- Make sure only Automatically Detect Settings is checked. For me there it was using an automatic configuration script.

- Click OK.

- It is also a good idea to go to the Advanced tab in Internet Properties and click Restore advanced settings.

So, the part I don't know is ever adding anything to make a proxy script in those LAN settings. It could have been something done during some home networking I was doing, VPN browser extension, Hamachi (or other private WAN/LAN tools), or a remote desktop application... I dabble in these things from time to time and they could have updated and made the change.

Hope this helps anyone else. Time to farm more potatoes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been constantly been getting this issue. But I can update through a VPN. But this time I ran out of data on the free VPN I was using and I'm not spending money to play a F2P game because the game won't update. Please fix the issue. I have tried most of the suggestions above including the "c++ repair" but it just doesn't seem to work. And no I don't have an IP ban. 

Update: Turning off bulk download and Direct X 10 and 11 from the launcher settings made it update...

Edited by horror143