Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it too early to call for a fishing rework

malekas

And I mean a total rework of the system, because holy crap it's bad. If you're fishing for rep or for the fun of it, it's not so bad. But if you're trying to catch certain fish to craft then welcome to hell. I originally thought forcing operator mode was going to be the worst part of this update, boy was I wrong.

Switching between spears is annoying and makes little sense.

The waters around Cetus are barren. If they were hoping to live off fish they're screwed.

Bait works more like repellent. I love throwing out bait and not seeing a single fish for the whole duration of the bait.

Scouting around for the ripples sucks. And there's been times where there's no ripples around anywhere, meaning I'm standing there with my thumb up my *** waiting.

Seeing a certain fish you're trying to catch swim inside a rock makes me want to smash my keyboard.

Edited by malekas

Would be nice to have an option to fish with a fishing rod with a bait of your choice (unaffected by ripples)to be able to catch certain types of fish depending on what bait you use.

To balance it out, you could release the fish and it wouldn't consume the bait f.ex. if it's not the type/size you wanted to catch, failing to catch would however consume it.

Or just add an option to "feed" fishes in the Plains which would increase the spawns over time in a certain lake and would consume a hefty amount of resources. (since it would be a permanent increase)

40 minutes ago, Mortico said:

Totally agreeing. And is it normal for those ripples to change positions every 2 seconds? How am I supposed to hit those with any bait?

You don't need to throw directly onto the ripple just in the general area of where they are appearing in.

Dunno....Yesterday i suddenly needed Norg brain.

Getting sharrak and karkina (twilight bait) took me about 15 min or so....  Then i crafted Norg bait and went to the lake. Caught lots of Norg in like 20 min (coz i was greedy and decided to spend all bait).

Got lots of Norg.  Each bait spawned 2-4 Norgs.  

Its easy. Just have to throw bait right into ripples from the shore before fish start to spawn.

40 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

Dunno....Yesterday i suddenly needed Norg brain.

Getting sharrak and karkina (twilight bait) took me about 15 min or so....  Then i crafted Norg bait and went to the lake. Caught lots of Norg in like 20 min (coz i was greedy and decided to spend all bait).

Got lots of Norg.  Each bait spawned 2-4 Norgs.  

Its easy. Just have to throw bait right into ripples from the shore before fish start to spawn.

This. Does. Not. Work!

You must be an exception because my fishing experience is vastly different and depressing. If I throw in my bait, doesn't matter ripple or not, 50% of the time it will block all fish spawns. The most Murkrays I cought with 1 bait are 2, and this happened after 2 baits before it didnt spawn a single fish. If designated fish did not spawn seconds after I use my bait, chances are high I won't see it for the duration of this bait.

Those glorious stories of great fishermen sound like real ones, where the fish gets bigger and bigger with every time you tell the story to your friends.

19 minutes ago, ShortCat said:

This. Does. Not. Work!

You must be an exception because my fishing experience is vastly different and depressing. If I throw in my bait, doesn't matter ripple or not, 50% of the time it will block all fish spawns. The most Murkrays I cought with 1 bait are 2, and this happened after 2 baits before it didnt spawn a single fish. If designated fish did not spawn seconds after I use my bait, chances are high I won't see it for the duration of this bait.

Those glorious stories of great fishermen sound like real ones, where the fish gets bigger and bigger with every time you tell the story to your friends.

Same for me. It just doesn't work indeed.

To quote my fishing thoughts from my own thorough feedback thread:

16 hours ago, Azamagon said:

-snip-

FISHING:
Mechanically, fishing is a lot of fun for me, personally. However, the fun ends there, as there are a LOT of annoyances once you try to "step up the fishing game":

1) Gear wheel - So, choosing baits and all that is done in a seperate gear wheel, which is honestly really neat. A big problem with this one though is that (at least I haven't found where yet) you can't rearrange where each piece of the fishing gear goes! This is rather annoying to me personally, because I use a lot of hotkeys for the regular gear, and I'd like to readjust the fishing gear positions in the gear wheel for similar reasons.

So, a suggestion: Give us some place in the arsenal which allows us to swap around the fishing gear positions, that would be really nice!

2) Fishing spears - The fishing spears are not clear upgrades to one another. One might say that it's interesting, which it kind of is, but not in a game like Warframe. Especially so, since all various fishing spears are not accessible in the fishing gear wheel, which can make swapping spears a very clunky ordeal. This is further a frustration, because each fishing spear takes up a gear slot in the regular gear wheel menu. It's just not fun.

Thus my suggestion: Make each fishing rod a clear upgrade from the previous one. Examples could be that each spear upgrade simply has increased damage (thus allowing you to catch their respective tiers and lower tier fish in one hit), and/or some extra upgrades, like; Tier 2 fishing spear has quicker travel time, while Tier 3 has quicker travel time and also grants a fishradar or something.

3) Baits - Baits, mechanically, are a complete fraud! Even if you know when to fish, where to fish, know to throw baits only in hotspots and doing whatever crazy ritual beforehand, baits are NOT a guarantee to make the fish appear?! To top things off, not only is it a complete gamble, but the chain-effect of farming needed just downright sadistic! It's total grindception!
I mean, look at this:
Farm Mortus+Toluk+Goopolla to get Murkray bait, and with these Murkray baits you (maybe) get material to make Cuthol bait to finally (maybe) get Cuthol materials. At the same time, cut up any fish to make Twilight bait to (maybe) get Sharrac+Karkina materials to get Norg bait. Now, with the pitiful amount of Norgs and Cuthols you (MAYBE) get to catch, you FINALLY make Glappid bait, with which you can (MAYBE!) get the highest tier fishing material. Of which you need SEVERAL, to make gear for your Operator (among other things).
It's just far too much. And if you think about all that, this gets even crazier once you talk about Zaws and Amps (more to those later).

Suggestion: Tone down the materialcosts of the baits and/or make the baits guarantee the bait's fish in question to spawn.

4) Inability to cast abilities with rods - Just to add some more frustration to it all, you can't cast your abilities when you have your fishing spear equipped (even though you can do so with the mining cutters). This just needs to be fixed, not much more to it.

5) Grineer disturbances - Now, the inability to cast abilities with a fishing spear in hand + the inability to sort the stuff in the fishing gearwheel are annoying enough. Now add to it that fishing during the day is ALMOST always disturbed by Grineer troops (due to those bloody ships spawning nearby all the time). Could there be SOME area on the map where Grineer won't come and disturb your daylight fishing, please?

6) Fishing gear - Mechanically, casting bait right now is fine (as you need to equip them, then actively cast it with secondary fire). But the other stuff (like dye), is used instantly. This would be completely fine if there was indicator that they work like that, AND if this non-bait gear worked as an aura around your Warframe (not really sure if it is already, but if not, it should be), considering they have a cooldown anyway.

Verdict: 1/10 due the grind and frustrations, but 9/10 for the actual fishcatching.

-snip-

1 hour ago, ShortCat said:

This. Does. Not. Work!

Same here.
At first throw the fish seems like to spawn normally but after 3rd ++, the fish spawn rate seems like bugged. No fish spawn around the bait even throw onto the ripple.

Edited by ZackNeutron

The only changes I'd like to see is a change to how the spears work, maybe make them grab 'bigger fish' or something instead of being required for specific fish.  Like many others I don't have enough spare gear wheel slots to always carry 3 spears plus it doesn't help with the descriptions not being simplified to say, this spear catches this fish either. 

As to the amount of fish in the water... yes I would also like to see this increased, I'd also like to see a 'visual marker' like jumping fish to tell me this is a good spot to fish. 

Wouldn't mind some improvements to visibility in the water either, the glare/reflection on the water is a little on the strong side imo.

Edited by LSG501

The idea is good, the execution is a bit lacking.... (to say the least and I'm being very generous here) They need to adjust a lot of things and do a ton of QoL changes. I'm a bit concerned with no word from DE about all of this. It's nice to see them changing things here and there with each hotfix, but I would prefer if they opened a new megathread with their future intentions and such. Otherwise, I can't help but think that they think the system is solid and it only needs minor tweaks when that is just not the case. This goes for the whole update, not just fishing in general though.

Edited by Shryoss

fishing system is a complete pile of garbage, and most of the poe systems feel unpolished. its sad that they released poe this unpolished/broken. just about nothing worked as intended on launch, and the systems that are working as intended, are hillariously bad, such as fishing/standing for quills.this whole update has singlehandedly made me lose all faith in de. well, i guess thats a bit unfair, after all, we have had the hema being a mess since its release, and they refused to fix that. i had real big hopes for fishing, and poe in general. thats a shame.

I"m still waiting for an explanation as to why in a space ninja fast-paced, horde shooting game we are suddenly forced into fishing. and baiting. and monkeying with rods. and mining too for that matter.

Give me a tonkor, penta, zarr whatever, let me dynamite the water, and sweep up fish guts. or blast the rocks to bits.

Or give me a sharkwing and let me go spear fishing. or fluctishing..

Or give me a space ninja fast-paced, horde shooting game. - oh wait....

Edited by (XB1)Tucker D Dawg

I wonder why all of those players reporting difficulties are having said difficulties. I've never once had any issue finding or catching fish of a certain type (albeit with bait for rarer spawns like Sharrac and Murkray/Norg/etc). It /is/ possible that a bait will not attract any fish, but this is generally not the case in my experience, even if it does sometimes take a few tries. Remember to check the wiki and make sure you're going to the correct location for a fish, as they will not spawn just anywhere.

12 minutes ago, Shryoss said:

The idea is good, the execution is a bit lacking.... (to say the least and I'm being very generous here) They need to adjust a lot of things and do a ton of QoL changes. I'm a bit concerned with no word from DE about all of this. It's nice to see them changing things here and there with each hotfix, but I would prefer if they opened a new megathread with their future intentions and such. Otherwise, I can't help but think that they think the system is solid and it only needs minor tweaks when that is just not the case. This goes for the whole update, not just fishing in general though.

I completely disagree. While I respect you might not enjoy the content or you may find something difficult or unpleasant/not to your tastes, I think it does only need minor tweaks, like the occasional long load time from Plains to Cetus, and Convergence and Sentient Cores sometimes ending up under the terrain.

The fishing mechanic itself is fine, but it needs a lot of anti-frustration tweaking for sure.

1. Ability to change spears via fishing gear wheel. Right now it's both annoying and disruptive to fishing, as from personal experience, changing to a weapon interrupts fish spawns and nullifies whatever bait you've thrown.

2. Ability to use Warframe abilities while holding a fishing spear. This is both for utility like Sonar or Dashwire to kicking the S#&$ out of whatever Grineer PETA members decided to ruin your fishing trip, for the same reason as tweak 1, which is that changing off a spear interrupts fish spawns and potentially negates bait.

3. Bait needs to be far more effective, and there must be clear instructions on how bait works. I mean, people keep saying that bait only works for 30 seconds, but from my experience, a bait thrown into a hotspot lasts for the entire hotspot duration, and even now no one knows what might negate bait effects or the spawn rate of baited fish. Plus, due to how RNG the effects are it's hard to tell if the bait works or not. For example, usually i have no problems getting murkrays after throwing it into a hotspot, but today for some reason the bait just refused to work despite using it the same as I always do. Was I doing something wrong? Was it a bug? Was it RNG? WHO KNOWS. And of course there's the regular completely dead periods after casting bait. Bait needs to increase spawn rate by a lot more to reduce the grind considering rare fish guts are for some reason mandatory for unrelated stuff like starchild amps. Fishing was supposed to be a side activity, NOT THE ENTIRE UPDATE.

tl;dr Good concept, bad execution and integration, but easily salvageable if DE would just stop trying to artificially pad the update for the rest of the year and shoving what was supposed to be a side activity down everyone's throats.

doesnt need a rework, the only change id say should happen is move the spears to the fishing gear wheel (it has the open space, at least atm) and have the item in the main wheel be a Fishing Kit or something, you'd get it when you get your first spear and using it would equip the lanzo spear, but you could easily switch to another using the fishing wheel.

everything else is fine.