Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

has anyone managed to run Plains on 512mb video ram?

Monolake

What are the real minimum requirements for playing Plains? has anyone managed to run Plains on 512mb video?

Im pondering if I should bother trying or just give up till I can afford new computer

Note: everything in the game runs fine except the Plains themselves - they just crash

Edited by Monolake

11 minutes ago, Monolake said:

What are the real minimum requirements for playing Plains? has anyone managed to run Plains on 512mb video?

Im pondering if I should bother trying or just give up till I can afford new computer

The outdated minumum is 256 mb VRAM. This is based on 10 year old technology. Further, this is before plains existed.

I really cannot image you would have much fun on 512 mb VRAM. (I didn’t even know computers came with this little VRAM)

You really would need a better GPU to play Plains. I think you are probably looking at a 2 GB VRAM minimum. I know people who run with 2 GB, it works okay. But could be a lot better.

Edit: try it. See how it goes. At worst, it will crash.

Edited by krc473

Maybe with everything on minimum, i had 1GB before Plains and sometimes with lots of effects there was fps drop and thats not even in open areas, its more bad if you dont have good cpu as backup, i dont know if i try to play Plains with 512 MB VRAM

Edited by Myscho

1 minute ago, Myscho said:

Maybe with everything on minimum

Realistically, it will not work.

28 minutes ago, Monolake said:

Here is a forum post I found on someone using 512 mb of VRAM, You will notice how they have terrible FPS (sub 20), on normal missions, a year ago. Basically, get a new GPU.

29 minutes ago, Monolake said:

If i turn all the settings down on my end, it reads ~1GB VRAM.
warframe.x64_2017_10_ymsaj.jpg

However, all RAM is just address space. There isn't a real way of knowing what is being stored in VRAM since (on PC's at least) the drivers will shuttle data in and out as needed. The Frostbite engine does something similar natively. If VRAM fills up, the drivers will shuttle data into your Sys RAM, or failing that, your HDD. Obviously, the more steps you move away from the dedicated pool of memory the worse performance gets.

According to DE, PoE was tested with a 10 year old PC - The specific question was asked to them directly. So you might as well see what your mileage is. You may find it tolerable, or not. 

For my part, PoE is the most optimised release to date. Places like the Derelicts are still (to this day) kind all over the shop. So there's no real harm in seeing what its like on your end.

Just now, krc473 said:

Realistically, it will not work.

Here is a forum post I found on someone using 512 mb of VRAM, You will notice how they have terrible FPS (sub 20), on normal missions, a year ago. Basically, get a new GPU.

Thats from playing WF before Plains - everything runs fine on 512 mb video, but only the Plains in particular simply refuse to run even on the absolute lowest setting and the game just crashes

Just now, MillbrookWest said:

If i turn all the settings down on my end, it reads ~1GB VRAM.

However, all RAM is just address space. There isn't a real way of knowing what is being stored in VRAM since (on PC's at least) the drivers will shuttle data in and out as needed. The Frostbite engine does something similar natively. If VRAM fills up, the drivers will shuttle data into your Sys RAM, or failing that, your HDD. Obviously, the more steps you move away from the dedicated pool of memory the worse performance gets.

According to DE, PoE was tested with a 10 year old PC - The specific question was asked to them directly. So you might as well see what your mileage is. You may find it tolerable, or not. 

For my part, PoE is the most optimised release to date. Places like the Derelicts are still (to this day) kind all over the shop. So there's no real harm in seeing what its like on your end.

so I might get away with finding some old 1GB video system

Edited by Monolake

6 minutes ago, Monolake said:

so I might get away with finding some old 1GB video system

I wouldn't necessarily stop at 1GB, per se. But yes, you would probably scrape by.

Here in NZ, you can pick up an AMD 7770 2GB card for little over $50. And this thing will do pretty well between 720p-900p (the xbox one uses the same core) with the settings turned up a bit!

EDIT:
$50+ second hand. Depending where you look.

Edited by MillbrookWest