Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do people actually like the Operator?

N2-Power

So far the opinions about the operators is mixed across the whole hate love spectrum.

Personally i find them a wasted effort.

DE seems deadset on trying to make us players accept them as our avatar within the game.

Now that might work for some people but it does not work for me.

The reasons for this is several.

1) They where introduced far to abrupt for any player to even have a chance to create any kind of rapport with them.

2) the tropes of powered by a forsaken child and child soldier is so overdone by now it turned the beaten up dead horse into glue.

As such i felt both the second dream and the war within was very cliche.

3) Inconsistency with the games own lore.

The operators as the tenno is said over and over to have founded the focus schools, built the dojos and crafted weapons that are still considered masterpieces.

Yet the operators show such lack of any kind of knowledge, experience or competence that the tenno of old must be long gone.

4) The writing for the operators voicelines and the quest lines are some of the worst i have seen in modern gaming.

No where in the script do we get any indication that they have even the most basic knowledge of the universe they live in.

Nor can we find anything but the most basic compency displayed by them.

5) While PoE increased their fluidity when it comes to movement the animations still appear stiff and clunky.

6) Outside of fighting voms and elmo the operators bring very little to the table versus the cost to even make them decent to use.

A mere chance at cc or some basic utility on short timers with increased energy cost ensure very few players will ever bother to unlock all nodes in a focus school.

For something that was worked on for 2 years ut still feels like focus is to halfbaked to really provide us with a way to customize the operators.

7) The narrative so far has made me even less inclined to care about the operator as a character due to how the various choices so far amount to nothing at all.

DE has so far been unable to provide me with a reason why i should care abour the operators fate at all.

8) The lack of customization options and gear,armor etc has not helped either.

So far the default suit with the hood closed is the only symmetrical design exceot the prime one which few have.

9) The fact that we dont have a mute option for those of us that prefer silent protaganists i can understand since we are so few.

Yet why we still have no voice that sound galf competent i cant understand.

10) I grew up with games where there where not always a need to have a physical representation of the player within the game and as such the operator serve no purpose to me at all.

it only acts as a third wheel betwwen me and my arsenal of warframes.

I have already created a head canon to deal with the operators presence in my game so that i can still enjoy it but that does not change the fact that i lothe them.

Edited by GhostLacuna

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, UrielColtan said:

Eh, nah, I don't really like it when a child acts all "mature" either, it can get obnoxious in a Mass Effect Starchild, Interview with a Vampire, or Code Geass manner

Actually, yeah, you're right. But I generally don't care about it myself. I'm happy as long as long as the Tenno still are what they used to be in the early days of the game: Badass independent Space Ninjas with awesome powers. That better not change.

When the operators were first revealed I was utterly against it.  I don't like the concept that I'm supposed to be some mentally challenged teen with the worst lines that make me want to reach for a silent protagonist button.  Alas, we don't have that so we either live with the cringe-worthy dialogue or mute EVERYTHING.  Ironically, I also thought the same about Ordis but that somewhat eccentric fellow has sort of grown on me.  The Operator, though?  Nope.  They really don't have much in the way of a personality to begin with so it's extremely hard to build a connection with them even now.  Yet what's even more damning is that the warframes themselves, allegedly soulless puppets, offer quite the opposite.

After PoE?  Well, the operators are bearable yet they still lack character and currently exist only because they're forced on us.  Don't get me wrong, what we can accomplish with them now IS an improvement since their introduction, but they still feel like a weak addition to the game.  Focus 2.0 certainly helps address that but it's still a long way off from making them cherished to many of us.  I believe a day will come where such a day will arrive but until then I dream of an option to advance their aging beyond their idiot years...