Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do people actually like the Operator?

N2-Power

While I would admit I'd rather have my teenager be an adult, I overall like my operator quite a bit. She looks cool and now has the potential to kick &#!. Just the "Potential" though, as since I'm a solo player I'm having a rough time strengthening her up Amp-wise.

Welcome back and join the club :D

Ever since the great split of 2015 (no idea if it was 2015) inspired by the mighty operators (now often pronounced warperators) this community, once so loving and inclusive (pffft not really) has been divided. Who or what could ever reconnect those lost bonds now rent apart? What shall be our salvation?

But seriously, this is quite the brouhaha around here lately. I personally like the Operator quite a bunch and cannot but agree with those who think they seriously lack in.. well everything. The reason I am holding out hope for them to get better is.. well... DE... they just work that way. Start meh, get better, end up on top. For me every new addition is bound to start out lacking and be expanded on in time.

I can actually see a time, a couple of years from now (hopefully less) when only true vets can reminisce about these moments and go "Member that operator fiasco? Yeah, apparently they used to suck! I know, right? These big-a$$ killing machines used to be awful! Yeah they're cool now."

Just give it some time, mate :)

Edited by Tellakey

I don't hate them and I don't mind using them for their utilities. I am thankful for the option to shut them tf up and so far I have no problems about them. That might change if lore becomes more focused on being "highschooly", with the young love, peer pressures,and  anything else that would make it disney-like, in the future at which point I might hate them so hopefully it won't happen.

Edited by dreadgame

As it is, they're starting to get more intrusive to combat considering how shoehorned the mechanic feels like in practical experience.

I don't really mind it but admitably I wish DE would add more mobility to the operators aside from dashing and butt sliding, they're far too clunky compared to warframe's parkour mechanic and pop in-out mechanic just isn't engaging and feels more like a chore after a while.

Some people tolerate/ like operators tweaked this way, and I thought I did too, but actually playing it and feeling like you pretty much need to maximize a focus school for it to be rather enjoyable is a bit of a stretch considering how much focus you have to pump in to max a school....

More mobility and longer lasting buffs + combat viability/ lessen the amount of pop-in/out play would be preferable at this point but I'm against removing them entirely considering the concept implemented so far.

13 hours ago, N2-Power said:

I was dissatisfied with the way the lore was going after the Second Dream, i.e. with the whole Operator business. 

*Stares at the Ember Prime Codex from 2013* Yeeeeah.... The way the lore was going at that point.....

Kinda saw it coming, or was quite sure of it with all the huge hint bombs.

And no I have no issues with the operators

Edited by SilvaDreams

1 hour ago, Fallen_Echo said:

reworked voice lines

This is my biggest issue now. They should scrape operator transmissions completely and allow us to issue commands instead (Which was an unintentional feature for a while and I'm still hoping it is coming back).

I can understand why the Operator is a notion that never really stuck with old players.

The old dark, gloomy and mysterious world of warframe was a universe where your imagination could run wild as to what the warframes were.

Ancient warrior monks who've taken a monastic vow of silence(?). Who knew. Your imagination would fill in the gaps.

And then one day, the Operators were revealed.

So the game took a turn lore-wise. I'm ok with that. It was a bold choise and evolution is always interesting.

But to be completely honest,

my main objection to the Operators is not the mechanics. It is what "feel" they added to the game the way they have been executed up to now.

I personally could "buy into" the concept of Operators much much more,

were they acting as the tormented beings that they are (and most of us imagine them to be).

I don't really experience that these kids have been beyond the nether, in a place where ultimate chaos exists and they have been baptised into it!

The way they look and behave at this point in the game, they do not feel menacing at all. Just some kids.

I cannot feel their burden. I cannot put myself into their shoes.

I do not connect...

They are still supposed to be uncontrollable beings, half human, half demonic.

They have been beyond and they have come back.

But unfortunately, I am not presented with that notion at all.

And that is the reason I don't like them.

The Void beckons.

DE, with all due respect and admiration for your creation, plz take note.

Edited by disco_inferno6

I think I like what Operators could be, as opposed to what they currently are.

DE keeps adding some of the craziest stuff to this game; one minute we're super-powered space marine ninja-wannabes in a little maze of corridors, next we're flying around space with crazy jetpack things and anime-sized weapons, then we can suddenly parkour the floor-is-lava-for-days, then this Operator business and epic lore drops and cinematic quest stuff, then they randomly throw space ninja soccer/basketball/lacrosse into the mix.
Next thing you know, we have a 2.5km squared open-world-like-region to run around in and suddenly our super-void-powered-warmachines-of-mass-destruction are able to go spear fishing and mining for ore like some old-fashioned MMORPG.

Operators feel like the tip of an iceberg, kind of interested to see the rest of it.

I like them well enough, but I don't like playing them in the game all that much.

28 minutes ago, blazinvire said:

I think I like what Operators could be, as opposed to what they currently are.

An excellent observation and one that pretty much sums up how I feel.

To unlock their skills you need to do crazy amount of farming. To unlock a warframe full potential you just level it to lvl 30 and give it the mods it needs. You need 2 mil of focus points just to get a operator version of vitality, which is plain stupid coz that's like the basic need in combat. This absurd amount of farming just to make them viable is more than enough reason hate the operators.

I (sort of) like them. The current Amp grind is tedious, and how they don't really act as "void demons", but other than that i do like them

For me, I like to mostly mess around as the operator.
Like, a big dragon-like knight comes running down the corridor. He is met by a horde of Corpus robots and crewmen. They all load their weapons as the Dragon puts his gun down. A small child with a terrible haircut jumps out of the knight and blasts the  beam of pure void energy at the army. No-one is hurt by the miniscule tickling the beam provides, and the child as well as the knight is gunned down.
Or:
The Terralyst stomps down the strongest of grineer, not even the bombards stand a chance.
"Everyone" A prepubesent voice shouts. A young girl steps out of the grineer crowd and puts a device on her arm.
"I've got this" She shoots the terralyst for a solid three seconds before being melted by the beast's gun.

I always find the though funny to run around as a child in a space war. 
(Though... when will we get Operator Archwings?)

Edited by Northern_Psycho

I haven't had a problem with them since the second dream as I've always considered them an additive feature to Warframes. It fits into the lore and the fact that it blindsided us when it came out was a pleasure for me to experience. I like seeing them expanded upon of course that doesn't make me love my Warframe any less. I look forward to the next cinematic quest because I love them (the warframes) so much!

21 hours ago, N2-Power said:

Hello everybody, 

I recently returned from a 2-years or so break from the game. (Ironically on the same day PoE went live, tho just by coincidence.) The reason I didn't play - and I thought I would never return - was that I was dissatisfied with the way the lore was going after the Second Dream, i.e. with the whole Operator business. My stance on this has not changed, but I discovered I still enjoy the game anyway. I simply try to avoid all content related to it. Which is why I am kind of pissed that they seem to try and force us to use the Operator, as in Kuva Missions and Teralyst fights. A friend of mine actually plays the Operator, at which point I either roll my eyes or make comments about how I want it (not even sure whether it's male or female) to die a horrible death. I recall that back then, there were those people who hated it and those who seemed to be okay with it, or at least were not surprised. Yesterday I have read some threads on PoE feedback and there have been complains about DE forcing us to use the operator as well, which has prompted me to make this thread. I don't want to trash-talk the whole thing, I just want to know what the players think at large, whether you like it gameplay and lore wise, just gameplay or just lore wise or not at all. 

Having rather the same stance on this issue. I hate operators, the overly-sentimental lore, and most of all - the continuous attempts of DE to make us like them, which obviously ain't gonna happen for some share of the player base. 

The good thing is, all this teralyst-hunting mumbo-jumbo (the "kuva guardian^5" mode), same as the riven fever, are optional. I don't like the mechanics it promotes, so I do not partake this content. I just hope DE would not force us to use the space brats more than they do now. 

After trying every customization option on the operator she still looks like a blocky 1990s female drug addict from GTA. How did the game graphics become trash so suddenly upon the second dream completion? Keep that hood on woman your face is not pleasant to look at.

22 hours ago, PoisonHD said:

When I started the game I never honestly thought that the frames weren't controlled by something outside of them. That's what I assumed from the very beginning. 

Well. I thought there are humans in the suit. Because ,why else would you put a suit into cryosleep? Im pretty sure DE just makes the lore up as they go at this point

Edit:  I never played Dark Sector but wasnt the main character (the first Tenno) also just a guy in a suit?

Edited by Elrond_McBong

I personally love the turn warframe took after the second dream...specially after playing since the very start it was amazing.

I love the operator mode now more than ever. I can actually do full operator-only missions and mind you they can deal with high level content now!

6 minutes ago, Elrond_McBong said:

Well. I thought there are humans in the suit. Because ,why else would you put a suit into cryosleep? Im pretty sure DE just makes the lore up as they go at this point

Edit:  I never played Dark Sector but wasnt the main character (the first Tenno) also just a guy in a suit?

Exactly. And the direction is decided by the "rule of cool"

2 hours ago, Northern_Psycho said:

I (sort of) like them. The current Amp grind is tedious, and how they don't really act as "void demons", but other than that i do like them

For me, I like to mostly mess around as the operator.
Like, a big dragon-like knight comes running down the corridor. He is met by a horde of Corpus robots and crewmen. They all load their weapons as the Dragon puts his gun down. A small child with a terrible haircut jumps out of the knight and blasts the  beam of pure void energy at the army. No-one is hurt by the miniscule tickling the beam provides, and the child as well as the knight is gunned down.
Or:
The Terralyst stomps down the strongest of grineer, not even the bombards stand a chance.
"Everyone" A prepubesent voice shouts. A young girl steps out of the grineer crowd and puts a device on her arm.
"I've got this" She shoots the terralyst for a solid three seconds before being melted by the beast's gun.

I always find the though funny to run around as a child in a space war. 
(Though... when will we get Operator Archwings?)

A connoisseur of quite exotic tastes, aren't you?

3 hours ago, disco_inferno6 said:

I can understand why the Operator is a notion that never really stuck with old players.

The old dark, gloomy and mysterious world of warframe was a universe where your imagination could run wild as to what the warframes were.

Ancient warrior monks who've taken a monastic vow of silence(?). Who knew. Your imagination would fill in the gaps.

And then one day, the Operators were revealed.

So the game took a turn lore-wise. I'm ok with that. It was a bold choise and evolution is always interesting.

But to be completely honest,

my main objection to the Operators is not the mechanics. It is what "feel" they added to the game they way they have been executed up to now.

I personally could "buy into" the concept of Operators much much more,

were they acting as the tormented beings that they are (and most of us imagine them to be).

I don't really experience that these kids have been beyond the nether, in a place where ultimate chaos exists and they have been baptised into it!

The way they look and behave at this point in the game, they do not feel menacing at all. Just some kids.

I cannot feel their burden. I cannot put myself into their shoes.

I do not connect...

They are still supposed to be uncontrollable beings, half human, half demonic.

They have been beyond and they have come back.

But unfortunately, I am not presented with that notion at all.

And that is the reason I don't like them.

The Void beckons.

DE, with all due respect and admiration for your creation, plz take note.

A good point. These "void demons" are nowhere near what they are meant to be. Instead, they are just a bunch of...

Spoiler