Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do people actually like the Operator?

N2-Power

Personally, I don't like the Operator or Focus 2.0.

It doesn't make sense for me to spend a lot of time, grinding away on my Warframes to get more focus, only to have it mean nothing. The rewards should not be exclusive to the Operator, they should instead offer different advantages based on what you are currently playing (Operator vs Warframe). The entire focus skill-tree could should have two separate effects per ability, one that counts for Warframes, and one that counts for the Operator. I would also prefer if they were all passives, when it comes to the Warframe bonuses. I don't have a need for new abilities on my existing Warframes, but would rather enjoy small improvements to the gameplay. Something that makes me want to put in the time to cap out my daily focus. Instead I am met with no rewards to my actual Warframes, and feel like I am wasting my time because I have no interest in using the Operator.

That's how I feel about them.

After the Second Dream, it did blew my mind over the whole "This is what you are" as well as seeing who the Operator is. Now the Operator themselves, Im not too fond on but hey, you're a kid, what I would want to see is what we go through in future quest, especially with The Sacrifice coming up and revolving around the Warframe. 

The Tenno are not very well represented by the (in my opinion) ridiculous operator communications in missions. I really wish they'd scrap all of it and replace it with something else. I highly recommend turning them off in your options, you may find the game much more enjoyable this way.

Their bodies, however, make perfect sense in the canon of Warframe, and I really enjoy the new content in PoE and getting to unleash the power that the Void has bestowed upon us. There is still much room for improvement with mobility, animations, and the aforementioned dialog (among other things), but I am confident that we will see these issues addressed eventually.

While I thought the whole operator thing was kind of cool at first, even during the first iteration of the Focus system, I now think on the whole they detract from the experience.  Focus went from something that complimented Warframes to something focused on the little people in the frames with a huge grind wall tossed in for good measure as a nice "screw you" to any casual players.  I think overall one of my biggest gripes is the increase of content forcing us to use operator form.  The Kuva siphons I could accept since the operator's needed function was so quick.  Get out, blast, dash, return to frame.  But now these Eidolon Teralysts are basically a boss fight built around the operator.  Lastly I think they are just way too jarring of a gameplay difference compared to the Warframes.  Once you hit that button way too much changes.

Warframes

1.  Shielded/armored, usually decent health pool, pretty sturdy overall.

2.  Tons of mobility and special moves like bullet jumping or aim gliding all focused on speed.

3.  Weapons that, especially when set up well or forma'd can make you feel like a god and can let you rain death upon enemies in droves.

4.  Abilities that also make you, the player, feel powerful through their myriad of functions.

Operators

1.  Very fragile and die very easily (they even take freaking fall damage).

2.  Can't do parkour (can barely jump honestly).

3.  Move extremely slow (compared to a Warframe)

4.  Extremely situational weapon that almost seems like a gimmick.

I play Warframe for the Warframes, for being a deadly, gun-wielding, parkouring space ninja.  The operator offers none of that.

Edited by Ralsk

I'm starting to.  

I'd like PLAYING the operator even more if we had a couple of other things that the operator did better than the warframes...something that was really fun and not busy work.  Like imagine if we'd have some kind of mobility benefit or could become more like a commander with our warframe as our pet?

(That just kind of came out, but I REALLY like that idea!  Plus then you could dynamically change how you're playing the same game in the same context just by switching your role in the party so to speak) :)

I'm really loving the story angle though, and the one thing I hear people complain about (the Operator sounds brainwashed) is actually something I LOVE because it plays into my personal Stalker headcanon (If Stalker was an attempt at a more autonomous Warframe and things went south, then the fact that we're all brainwashed little Elevens makes perfect sense...we're the leash.)

Don't mind them, they seem to be far more useful with the rework.However one thing lorewise doesn't make sense, how come we fought and defeated the sentient if we are pretty much required to use operators to defeat them(eidolons) but during the orokin era only warframes were used since the operators didn't have much control over their powers as is indicated by the quests and lore that we have so far.

I actually liked the idea, that the Warframe were suits and inside these suits are real people controlling it. If I could choose between this idea and the original lore, I would have to say that I liked this one more than the original lore of the game. But I accept it and this concept  isn't bad at all. I just needed to understand that our deadly space ninjas are controlled by some kids... O_o  :laugh:

28 minutes ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Don't mind them, they seem to be far more useful with the rework.However one thing lorewise doesn't make sense, how come we fought and defeated the sentient if we are pretty much required to use operators to defeat them(eidolons) but during the orokin era only warframes were used since the operators didn't have much control over their powers as is indicated by the quests and lore that we have so far.

'Tis [DE]logic. Move along, citizen.

1 hour ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Now that is the question isnt it?

I still think it felt anti-climatic after the big reveal. Wasn't expecting it at all. A weak ugly looking human child.. how lame was that? Would've been cooler if it was some infested being, mutant, alien, monster, clem, etc. Or even just an empty metal husk, sort of like Alphonse from Full Metal Alchemist. At least letting it remain a mystery would've been better instead of ruining our years of image and expectations. Just leave it up to our imaginations to run wild and 'boost' it up to epic levels.

What I expected was something much cooler like the void demon concept. Yes it's a frame concept but still, just imagine revealing this as the actual operator.. Yea it's human like, but at the same time. Looks strong, looks cool. Something created for actual combat. Little kids fighting giant eidolon is kind of funny though.

xGtb7b4.jpg

QEX6rwt.jpg

I've never liked the idea of our "operators" not being in the suits this whole time, no. This was somewhat resolved in the War WithIn but the impact was still there due to prior events and more interesting background(Was more horrific believing Alad was using actual Tenno bodies in Zanuka as opposed to a mere doll.), and it was compounded by the fact that I actually had to see the operator instead of being allowed to have my mind wander. I didn't want them to be anything repugnant like Infested or anything, I still don't even like Nidus' Meltman mixed with the Stranger Things creature look(Even the infested Kubrow looks slightly better.), but I don't want to be these children either. I only wanted to tolerate angsty weak children as possible NPCs, not as the character/s I personally play for this game.

Them being weak children and analogous Shinjis(Who I never liked to begin with.) who don't even retain any of the physicality or muscle memory of their frames themselves(Can't even do Nartas.), was a real enthusiasm killer. And then they expected you to use these weak and nigh helpless avatars. I don't know but using them always gives me the sneaking feeling that DE regrets making fast and capable space ninja, and wish they could start over with these pathetic child avatars to artificially increase the grind, because people in the business department keep telling them that more time wasting and unfun grind = automatic money. There is otherwise no point in making them junp out of their suits.

The " Warrior Tenno" additions are not good enough, eapecially after Geoff said he couldn't get all of the planned stance animations out in time because of the work on the operators, who have no new animations/abilities to speak of, all that was done to them was some specific number aligning after some specific grinding. Its especially not good enough for the grinding required.

I could actually warm to the Operators, even leaping out of the Warframe, if they were made better, but DE seems to make using them a tedious no fun affair, and not very aesthetically pleasing either, the faces are disappointing(And the hair styles/designs.) and not very weildy for choosing the sex of your character either.

One of the new Operator armors is also particularly wretched with the weird gray caulk and spackle hanging off of them, and ugly spotty white stains on the waist area on top of that. Its the armor with the best hat too(The Kung Lao-esque one.), sad. Would be nice if you could toggle that junk off, you can't even color it to distract from the ugliness.

Edited by UrielColtan

4 hours ago, Teloch said:

kuva and even more so eidolons are not obligatory or crucial for the game progression. So far, the operator mode is a glorified archwing.

That depends on what you consider progression in this game. You can also only say something is not obligated so much before the things the Operator is needed for starts to pile up and dominate a lot of development time and new content. Also, If you want to use the Focus waybound passives and make focus gaining/using significant , you need to fight Eidolons. There are quite plainly going to be many more things added and requiring of the Operator in the future, if people don't say anything.

Edited by UrielColtan

Personally I think the Warframes are more interesting as characters than the operators.

Before TSD I always thought of them as great warriors each with their own unique personalities. And the primes are actual ancient warriors being brought back to life.

Now, turns out my Warframes are just soulless robot husks controlled by one kid with a plain personality.

Gameplay wise I'm indifferent.

15 hours ago, Elrond_McBong said:

Well. I thought there are humans in the suit. Because ,why else would you put a suit into cryosleep? Im pretty sure DE just makes the lore up as they go at this point

Edit:  I never played Dark Sector but wasnt the main character (the first Tenno) also just a guy in a suit?

1) The Warframes are living flesh and still need to be maintained to some degree. So to cold storage they went like that steak you've been saving.

2) No he wasn't technically in a suit, a virus was transforming him and the only reason he didn't go insane like everyone else was because of some derpy "my nerves were damaged so I feel no pain" (He did get a sort of powered body armor near the end of the game)

There are so many of these topics around, apologies for simply quoting myself, but figured I'd add my thoughts here as I think I've expressed them pretty clearly.

On 22/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, SnuggleBuckets said:

If I can express one aspect of my dislike with operators when compared to Warframes, it's that warframes are a slightly silly, slightly cheesy, still fun, cool space ninja wizards powerfantasy with awesome weapons.
Operators are indoctrinated, dogmatic, brainwashed child soldiers who talk like creepy nazis with warrior honour culture. They sound like their moral compass has been broken by all the nazi camps and military training in their childhood, aping a Hannibal impression with their monotone pre-teen voice while talking seriously about honour, glory and purging places like they did in the good old days.
If the devs wanted a grimdark cheesy campy vibe they should have gone for the silly tone of Warhammer 40k Space Marines, with their silly accents and over-the top tone that always hammers home in a much more humorous and less creepy way their religious xenophobic fascist ideology, where you instantly can tell how self aware it is when they yell "purge the heretic!".
Seeing a psychopathic teenager say in a creepy voice how they will defeat all who oppose them, uuuuggghhhh.
Thank goodness I can mute that voice over though. Now to just keep avoiding playing the War Within.

49 minutes ago, SnuggleBuckets said:

Yeah I could forgive the horrible teen voices if the lines were better, or if they have to have such horrible things to say they should have gone the Warhammer 40k or Helldivers or Starship Troopers route of ridicule conveyed in hammy cheesy delivery.
I mean just look at the stuff our operators spout:
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Operator/Quotes
They sound like a mix of an uneducated barbarian living in a culture praising honour, glory, a creepy mystic monk worshipping purity, the old ways and authority, just like I said, they end up sounding, combined with horrible writing and voices, like a creepy brainwashed child soldier spouting their ideology that's a mix of all the worst monstrosities out there.
Rational, pragmatic, civilised, clear headed, actually good and moral people don't talk like this:

" We will bring honor to the Tenno. "
" We know the mission, we will not fail. "
" My Warframe is the hand, and I am the will. "
" My warframe is strong. "
" Attack us, and we will counter. "
" For the Lotus. "
" For the Tenno. "
" We fought with honor. "
" The Grineer prey on the weak, but we prey on the Grineer. "
" The Grineer have no honor.  "
" These Corpus remind me of the Orokin, selfish, greedy. "
" So... the Corpus are just a cult, worshiping money. "
" We'll put an end to this Corpus greed. "
" You are the mission. I will not falter. "
" Say what you want, we are still coming for you. "
And lastly my favourite bit of nazi literature:
" We need to purge this place, as we did in the old days. "

Seriously, only people roleplaying crazy dogmatic individuals would even attempt to sound like this. Is this really the type of protagonist the developers want us to play as? To feel connected or bonded to or compelled in some way to play as?
In Halo 2, with the religious brainwashed Covenant sounding equally crazy, it served as a way to show how in the end the Arbiter lost his faith and decided to fight against the death cult, that's how Bungie managed to make the elites more likeable in Halo as a protagonist and not just a cheesy fun enemy. Will the devs of Warframe have our kids finally grow up before we grow tired of them? Because it's been years, I'm tired of the blind broken teenagers already.

They're cute but there's a room for improvements.

1) With new quests being introduced they should get more mature. Less hot-headed, more serious. That's kinda what happened in War Within - from "i dont listen to you, mom!" to someone even Teshin respects. Lets keep it that way.

2) We need alternative animation sets for them - walking cycle, jumping, etc. They look kinda dorky as they are now, a little bit out of place.

3) More military themed operator costumes would be nice.

4) Improved voice lines. Preferably not randomly used, but instead triggered by events. I think its already partially implemented - like sometimes operator will say "that... hurt..." when  warframe gets taken down. But we need more of that.

5) Warframes should be flashed out more in the lore after operators. I get it, we are void wonder-boys, but we would be nothing without our vessels.

6) I dont like that Warframe just stands there doing nothing when operator is out. I really hope that in the future one of the quests will "awaken" warframes, allowing them to fight alongside the operators when they leave. Wouldn't that be amasing?

7) I really hope that in the future operators might mature physically - become young adults. Rell died from old age, so its possible for operators to grow.

8) I want to see interactions between operators of different players. And i dont mean gestures. I mean - aknowledge each other's existence, maybe even start a dialogue in the middle of the mishion. Like couple of voice lines. Kinda like in DOTA 2 when sometimes heroes comment on each other with unique voice lines when standing near each other.

Edited by Artek94