Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Convergence Orbs: Motivation Conflicts causing Mission Abandonment

Yuni_Hermit

TL/DR: Convergence Orb spawns cause public-matchmaking (PUBG) team-mates to frequently abandon Bounty and Incursion objectives to collect said Convergence Orb and increase focus gains. This makes missions fail because of greed/need to grind.

This is not so much a bug as it is a motivation issue. Bullet Point Summary Follows:

Motivation 1 (Standing/Loot):

• Bounties give drops you can get nowhere else, and can be difficult for newer players without public matchmaking or friends.
  • Incursions give lots of extra standing, particularly when the Plains have been set to a high enemy level by a high ranking Bounty.
  • "Stay in the Yellow Circle or Fail the Mission" mechanic means the squad needs to voluntarily stay in a confined area.
  • Motivation Classification: Important/Not Urgent (Bounty), Important/Urgent (Incursion).

Motivation 2 (Convergence Orb/Focus Grind)

• The daily Focus cap is very high now. (250,000)
  • Focus gain is incredibly slow without Convergence Orbs. Players are unlikely to make any progress at all without them in the focus schools.
  • Convergence Orbs despawn if left unattended, drawing Player attention quickly like a ringing cell phone.
  • Convergence Orbs are frequently spawning outside the "Mission Zone" that is the yellow Circle on the Plains of Eidolon.
  • Communication in Warframe without voice chat of some kind is slow, it requires typing and standing still, leaving yourself (and objectives) vulnerable.
  • Lack of communication often results in everyone going for the outside-of-Mission-Zone Convergence Orb at once. This causes the mission to fail.
  • Motivation Classification: (Comparitively) Not Important/Very Urgent. This causes conflict, especially in "Find the Caches" mission, where newbies can be very slow to find them.

I don't have a better solution myself, but this motivational conflict isn't going to go away in the current set-up, leading to player frustration. The yellow mission zone is important for the procedurally generated missions on the static map, but giving players urgent motivation to exit the mission zone is very counterproductive.

Either the Convergence Orb system needs to go, or mission abandoning needs some kind of gating... like a pop-up menu or something (though that might get players downed for being in a menu).

My Suggestion: Replace Convergence Orbs with a consumable item. We have huge numbers of resources used to craft things now. You could always make a resource-sink out of one of them that is crafting Focus Booster consumables... but that's just my idea.

Edited by Yuni_Hermit

I honestly agree w/ Yuni_Hermit here (not just because Clan Mate/ Friend) but generally focus gain is STUCK in 1.0 values. an increase in Natural conversion might be in order , a boost to lenses would be nice but that Wouldnt be new /unlucky people friendly and introduce bit of a grind-paywall w/ making it seem you must by all means haveto get plat-lenses.

Making them Spawn within the Objective Zone + making them stay longer before despawning might be a good idea too.