Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stop the Screen Shake - Youre Making People Physically SICK

BlackCoMerc

Dizziness. Naseau. Swimmy head. Headaches. Blurry vision and vertigo.

Warframe causes ALL of these things in a subset if otherwise healthy players. And it is 100% the fault of the devs that people are getting sick.

Take the limited FOV. Combine with overly liberal use of screen shaking effects. Stir. Its a recipe for the inner ear experiencing things visually that do not mesh with the experience the brain and body are having. Boom: instant motion sickness.

Seriously - gravely seriously - STOP the screen shake. Or at least alliw a toggle off option. Youre design decision here us 100% at fault for making people very truly physically ill. It NEEDS to stop. I get what youre going for with the shake, trying to convey a sense of feeling with explosions, etc. But there are players who would enjoy your game but CANNOT do so because the game gives them motion sickness. You NEED to stop.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Void-Gunslinger said:

I <3 the shake! 
4A7Yolq.gif

Man this post makes me feel like one hardcore gamer, my gameplay is all over the place, looking down, left, up, right, center, behind, jumping everywhere, never tounching the floor, melee only, stealth masterrace, i can't see anything there's just too much movement because of all of the rolling the bullet jumping the quick slides the spinning of my sword aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh oh shoot crashes into a wall noooo my speed i was so fast ash is so good bladestorm ftw omg get rekt i just got through a corridor in less than a second 

(extraction music)

how do i not feel sick

35 minutes ago, Pie_mastyr said:

It is in the options menu under display, right below the Field of view bar

It only disables some of it. Not all of it.

And the other problem is that recoil is only screen shake. It is exactly the same effect. It's not separate like in every other shooter. Which makes recoil just as sickening.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 11:41 PM, Pie_mastyr said:

On 11/11/2017 at 3:13 PM, Top_Kekkonen said:

Some shakes cannot be turned off for some reason.

This, I've turned mine off, but it still shakes. I don't get sick from it, but it gets really, REALLY annoying if I'm trying to aim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When i fire my Akstilletos, especially when in zoom mode, the screen shakes like a junkie that's been without a fix for too long. We really need an option to turn off ALL screen shaking. By the way i have the Screen shake option turned off.

Edited by Yperkeimenos

39 minutes ago, Yperkeimenos said:

When i fire my Akstilletos, especially when in zoom mode, the screen shakes like a junkie that's been without a fix for too long. We really need an option to turn off ALL screen shaking. By the way i have the Screen shake option turned off.

Even with the option turned OFF, there are still unavoidable instances of screen shake. Not to mention, I have seen game updates turn it back on. Only once, granted, but it does happen, so always double check. 

But yeah...there is really no excuse for forcing this on people. Its bad design. And not just in that it adds nothing to game play. It made the game literally unplayable for both my girlfriend and myself for weeks. We could get, maybe...a half hour in. And that was it. Motion sickness began creeping in around the edges and we had to stop. For the day. Its what lead to our first months long break. And why I posted this without knowing an option had been added to toggle it off and before realizing that even then, it didnt turn it ALL off. For some illogical, unjustifiable reason.

Now we are just waiting for Warframe content. Not Archwing content. Not Warframe 2: Space Kid and the Wide Open Land of Unrewarding content. Actual WARFRAME content.

On 10/28/2017 at 8:05 AM, BlackCoMerc said:

Dizziness. Naseau. Swimmy head. Headaches. Blurry vision and vertigo.

Warframe causes ALL of these things in a subset if otherwise healthy players. And it is 100% the fault of the devs that people are getting sick.

Take the limited FOV. Combine with overly liberal use of screen shaking effects. Stir. Its a recipe for the inner ear experiencing things visually that do not mesh with the experience the brain and body are having. Boom: instant motion sickness.

Seriously - gravely seriously - STOP the screen shake. Or at least alliw a toggle off option. Youre design decision here us 100% at fault for making people very truly physically ill. It NEEDS to stop. I get what youre going for with the shake, trying to convey a sense of feeling with explosions, etc. But there are players who would enjoy your game but CANNOT do so because the game gives them motion sickness. You NEED to stop.

Only thing that REALLY messes me up is the screen shake in some of the lua missions. The archwing did wen they changed it before reverting back. Most of the auto weapons i can tolerate... 

Well, what was shown in that video is something that has a distinction in game design.

In a shooter, gun inaccuracy is generally exhibited in two ways: Recoil and Spread.

Spread is a mechanic that causes bullets to drift away from where the crosshair is pointed, and Recoil is a mechanic that physically moves the crosshair when the weapon fires. The distinction to be made here is that Spread generally can't be compensated for. It's going to happen, and the only way to really mitigate it is to fire in controlled bursts. Recoil, however, gives the player the opportunity to compensate for the crosshair's movement, effectively allowing them to make the weapon more accurate without having to lower their rate of fire based on their skill in doing so.

So what I'm saying is that, yes, that recoil makes the screen shake pretty atrocious, especially if you're sensitive to it, but it's a game mechanic. Turning it off would actually affect the weapon's performance. Whether or not turning it off is a feature the devs feel comfortable introducing, I can't say, but I'm just letting you guys know that it's not there simply for visual flair.

On 10/28/2017 at 9:11 AM, Pie_mastyr said:

it only affects some things though. infact i don't think it disables anything that existed before the option, only new stuff that Eidolon added. >.>

27 minutes ago, Flames21891 said:

In a shooter, gun inaccuracy is generally exhibited in two ways: Recoil and Spread.

wouldn't be a problem if everyone copied Battlefield - Battlefield doesn't rely on Screen Shake and other nonsense to make an (actually) Skill Based Shooting experience. the only one in the entire industry, actually. because every other Shooter is about memorizing one pattern. a script could do that for you. no, Battlefield doesn't have one pattern to cycle forever. instead you have to actually understand the way your Weapon works, by reacting to the way it handles in various situations.
(though, this only applies to Battlefield 1 and on, as that's the first Battlefield game that finally represents this, and will surely do so for the future of the Series. previous titles were like other Shooters, where a script/macro could replace the human being)

Edited by taiiat

On 1/20/2018 at 6:56 PM, PatternistSlave said:

Use the mods that reduce recoil.  It's a requirement for me on many weapons.

I did not need to put on any recoil reducing mod for my Zenith, the screen shake was just fine in the past (same for other auto-rifles, e.g. Braton Prime). 

I hadn't used Zenith for a long time, that is why I immediately noticed the much increased screen shake when I picked it up again.   All of a sudden DE just significantly increased the screen shake (see the above vid) for all auto-rifles.   

Edited by modalmojo

5 hours ago, modalmojo said:

I did not need to put on any recoil reducing mod for my Zenith, the screen shake was just fine in the past (same for other auto-rifles, e.g. Braton Prime). 

I hadn't used Zenith for a long time, that is why I immediately noticed the much increased screen shake when I picked it up again.   All of a sudden DE just significantly increased the screen shake (see the above vid) for all auto-rifles.   

Well in the meantime I would try using the recoil mods.  The decrease in damage is not even all that significant when considering the increased accuracy.

• 2 months later...

Just went through some similar problems with the whole room looking like it was constantly expanding and contracting after having to reset graphics settings.  Turns out it was the dynamic resolution all along - don't leave it on auto, change it to user.