Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Venus Free Roam and Visual Rework Concept

Arkis-Prime

Greetings, Tenno!

This my concept for a reworked Venus which would go along with its respective free roam node, so let's dive in!

Venus Landing Concept

Currently Venus uses the same snowy outpost tileset along with Neptune and Pluto which isn't really believable even with factoring in Orokin terraforming (I wonder if the Orokin called it terraforma-ing?). What I propose is an adjustment to an exaggerated Earth-like climate where the poles would be tropics with inspirations from Southeast Asia's geography while the equator would be a band of badlands and desert.

Venus Terraformed

(Edit: For clarity, Free roam 1 and 2 are intended as options rather than two separate nodes, each offering a unique take on the environment as described below!)

The north would host the major Corpus cities and outposts with super structures emerging from the vibrant jungle canopies and packed living districts lining the shores. Tenno would be able to visit the fringe of one of these settlements, allowing them to see some aspects of daily life and the city proper looming in the distance. Venturing out into the free roam area one could expect lush jungles, Orokin ruins, underwater facilities, and bases that reach into the clouds. An element of verticality would make it a parkour playground and a blast to jet through in archwing.

The southern pole would offer a stark contrast to the north due to Infestation control. Residential and commercial buildings have long been abandoned, overgrown and twisted into hives while Corpus military bases and science labs surround this area in an effort to keep the plague under control. This would have incredible potential to create an atmospheric region where the air would be thick with smoke and smog, the sounds of buildings crumbling break the silence, and one wrong step would bring the infested horde down around you.

That leaves us with Venus' equator which would house the Corpus' secret bases and isolated societies. This arid wasteland would be certain death for those who venture out unprepared which helps keep intruders from getting in, as well as inhabitants getting out.

In order for this scenario to work however the regular mission nodes would also need to visually change to match. So I've prepared several images to showcase how the current snow outpost tileset could be given a new lease in this climate. I've always loved the designs of the buildings and I feel they would carry forward well into the rework.

Badlands Interior

Badlands Exterior

Imagine stepping out from the cool facility interiors to the badlands waiting outside; hot air and dust rushes past you while your eyes adjust to the overbearing brightness with the hiss of sand pouring over the edge of the canyon walls and the whistle of the wind. With this kind of heat, it's no wonder the Corpus have all those LN2 barrels lying around! A sand storm variant could also be added to great effect, making the journey through open segments all the more dangerous.

Jungle Depths Facility

The base is eerily calm, the air is filled with the muffled roar of distant waterfalls and the constant drone of the energy barrier. Distant cries and rustles from the forest remind you you're not alone and that it's not just the Corpus you need to worry about.

I feel that Warframe has a flow to its levels themes that appropriately ramp up with the increasing difficulty. From Ceres onward we're introduced into more outlandish and extreme conditions where the environment is just as likely to kill you as the faction occupying it. I think it's significant that as we are playing in our actual solar system, we only have a limited number of planets and moons that could be adapted in to the environments needed for mechanics and narrative. Furthermore this will be the players first introduction to the Corpus once they've made their way through Earth. For this reason I feel it is important to give the Corpus a unique planet that is visually distinctive from their other worlds and one that offers a variety of storytelling opportunities. As it stands, of the 6 Corpus controlled areas, 4 of them involve snow where 3 of which use the same tileset, leaving us with Jupiter's cloud cities and Phobos' mining facilities as variation. (It's important to note though that Europa's wreckage ridden landscape is an impressive sight which definitely makes it stand out!) The environment, lighting, and sound design we've seen in recent updates makes me believe that Venus could be recrafted into a truly immersive environment allowing for multiple variations in locales and weather and give players a better understanding of Corpus culture.

I hope this sparks some discussion as to what people are looking for in future free roams and planet reworks in addition to aspects of mechanics and economy. Narrative is something that enhances gameplay for me so having a believable and culture rich world would be a real blast to explore. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Arkis-Prime

I was thinking about this last week. The fact that venus is a snow tileset when it is so close to the sun always bugs me. I would love changes like this implemented in the game, and I really wish that every planet surface had it's own unique flavor, instead of just reusing the same tilesets.

32 minutes ago, Spartan336 said:

Someone give this Tenno a hand!

:clap:

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, shimgrin said:

I was thinking about this last week. The fact that venus is a snow tileset when it is so close to the sun always bugs me. I would love changes like this implemented in the game, and I really wish that every planet surface had it's own unique flavor, instead of just reusing the same tilesets.

That's definitely what bugged me as well! Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Europa and Uranus all stand out with their unique tilesets so I hope that other planets will get that treatment too. 

16 minutes ago, Kurokoz said:

I really like the idea but apparently they are already working on Venus ^^"

Maybe like.. Eris or Sedna?

I originally thought they were working on Mars but Steve recently said they were working on Venus so I hauled to get these concepts together while it still might be in an early development stage. I do have ideas for Eris and Sedna though too.

3 minutes ago, Stoner74 said:

Why do you not work for DE...

This is amazing.

That's the goal! And thank you!

5 hours ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

Absolutely incredible!

Thank you!

4 hours ago, (PS4)urkonse said:

i would like to see something similiar aswell. Just cant accept Venus being snow when there is 400*C hot rn .-.

For sure, I understand it's been economical since several planets can all share the same node but it would be great to give them some individual flair. Also I seem to remember it being mentioned that it uses some of the oldest assets in the game, so they deserve an update!

4 hours ago, Lord-Taco-the-Great said:

DE please hire this guy

:heart:

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 3:00 PM, shimgrin said:

Pluto, been saying it for years

One thing that bugs me visually in every planet, is the sun

Pluto is just a copy pasted Neptune/Europa

I really want a infested/Grineer Pluto plains