Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

what do we want to see done better with the next "plains" open landscape

45neo

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying we should ignore the problems with Plains of Eidolon as they are currently. Rather i wanted to create a thread to see what people would want different with a new plains expansion that we would like to see different, whether new features to add excitement or removal of features that exist in PoE to prevent redundancy.

So as i said in my disclaimer what DO you want to see done differently? For me personally i would like to see fewer "new" resources included with the next plains like expansion in favor of recycling as many from PoE as possible. I.E. making mine-able resources the same and making new fish give drops that are equivalent to current fish drops.

Edited by 45neo

3 minutes ago, 45neo said:

For me personally i would like to see fewer "new" resources included with the next plains

That is one of the major things. If they already have to introduce new recouces they should have a use outside of that landscape.

Next thing would be a more interesting landscape. I mean the plains look quite good for a few days but they start feeling liveless very quickly (much like skyrim - its kinda big and looks good, but apart from some grineer annoying you while fishing there is nothing really interesting).

Which bring me to fishing: it`s fun for the sake of fishing, but making it a core feature in the plains, that also has no use outside the plains is absurd. So whatever kind of sideactivities are planned for the next landscape should be a sideactivity!

And then there are boutnies...

The huge issue isn't the low amount of standing -  compared to time effort - they give; barley no one will play them, if the rewards aren't worth it. I mean these new set mods are cool for optimizing builds, but once you collected them there is no reason to do them, except you do them for these 5k credit rewards.

So these are just a couple of quick thoughts, that also should be applied to the plains itself.

I'd like to see more opportunity for exploration and player choice. As it stands, a player has about 4 distinct choices for activities in the Plains during either day or night cycle. There are bounties, incursions, mining and fishing during the day, and bounties, Eidolon hunting, mining and fishing at night. Of course, it is true that I am not counting either gathering plains resources or Cetus Wisp farming as options, but whether those should be counted is beside the point. I'd like to see more activity in any future open area, so that it feels more alive as far as potential player interactions. Perhaps there could be more than one incursion active.

Regarding exploration, I'd like to see areas in which the player(s) may have to fulfill certain conditions in order to explore (perhaps a chain of events disabling a force-barrier or a code we get from the environment or a specific target that allows us to hack a locked door), or more hidden areas.

2 minutes ago, Wolfglaive said:

Regarding exploration, I'd like to see areas in which the player(s) may have to fulfill certain conditions in order to explore (perhaps a chain of events disabling a force-barrier or a code we get from the environment or a specific target that allows us to hack a locked door), or more hidden areas.

Yeah, it doesn't fell like exploring atm, or achieving anything. The only thing you kinda do is grind stuff from the plains for the plains

I dont want more open world for Warframe. If the experience we've received so far is indicative of things to come then its just gonna be more shallow content that doesn't cater towards actual players at all. We dont care about caves, fishing, mining, recurring quests, etc when the rewards don't actually make it worth it. Making Plains cater towards new players specifically ruins the entire thing for experienced players. If DE wants to retain their playerbase open world is not the way to do it.

I would like the Quills standing to be carried along through all the landscapes and a new colony on each planet with its own economy. However, fishing is earths thing, need something new. Can we go Ice Skating next? it is venus, right? :)

19 minutes ago, MrRagez said:

I dont want more open world for Warframe. If the experience we've received so far is indicative of things to come then its just gonna be more shallow content that doesn't cater towards actual players at all. We dont care about caves, fishing, mining, recurring quests, etc when the rewards don't actually make it worth it. Making Plains cater towards new players specifically ruins the entire thing for experienced players. If DE wants to retain their playerbase open world is not the way to do it.

They're not even finished with Plains of Eidolons! There's going to be procedually generated portions to it in the future, and remember - Plains is on EARTH. Think of how SEDNA is going to be!

Honestly if open world areas are what they intend for warframes future then I want to see them do more than just "heres an open world, now go play in it" Incorporate the open world into the full game instead of making it so that its this entirely separate entity. Make it so that all the nodes on the planet are accessible through the open world or the town. make the open area way bigger, stuff like that. Right now I almost never ever go towards the back half of the map because there's nothing back there. missions don't spawn there, the eilidon doesn't spawn there, and its pretty obvious DE got ether rushed or lazy when it came to anything past that big grineer camp on top of the hill. I mean have you ever tried mining in the back half of the map? there's hardly anything back there because DE didn't put any ore spawns back there.

1 minute ago, Biglo2 said:

I would like the Quills standing to be carried along through all the landscapes and a new colony on each planet with its own economy. However, fishing is earths thing, need something new. Can we go Ice Skating next? it is venus, right? :)

They're not even finished with Plains of Eidolons! There's going to be procedually generated portions to it in the future, and remember - Plains is on EARTH. Think of how SEDNA is going to be!

And in the meantime we have to deal with the mess of the game they've left us while they focus all their attention on Plains of Boredalot. Since the "server upgrades" I never find matches, when I do the host has no less than 200 ping, constant lag in dojo during trading, connection errors while in my arsenal that force reset my frame. The list goes on.

1 minute ago, MrRagez said:

And in the meantime we have to deal with the mess of the game they've left us while they focus all their attention on Plains of Boredalot. Since the "server upgrades" I never find matches, when I do the host has no less than 200 ping, constant lag in dojo during trading, connection errors while in my arsenal that force reset my frame. The list goes on.

That sounds more like an internet issues - There has been some Network issues, but only for a day or 2.

Also Warframe is a Peer-To-Peer game. Not a Server-Client.

Edited by Biglo2

Just now, Biglo2 said:

That sounds more like an internet issues - There has been some Network issues, but only for a day or 2.

I can assure you my network is not the issue. I live less than 10 miles from a server bank in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States. 4ms ping, 124mbps down, 24mbps up as I post this. I have many friends that I play with that are in Australia, Bosnia, Portugal, and Korea and they can all play on my host. It's definitely not on my end. 

Bounties and Mining feel like they could crossover, depending on the worlds that gain Free Roam. I think that a few notable ones like Fishing, could be exclusive to the different Free Roam Nodes. Here are some ideas, off the top of my head, to gain standing with the Locals:

Venus: Restoring the Orokin system that keeps the world cool, all that dry ice.

Earth: Fishing

Mars: Kubrow Racing / Beast wrangling - I could see an arena where they are raced and/or animals are wrangled on this dusty world

Jupiter: Sky/Archwing Racing - I can imagine how cool it could be going between the Towers there, and the Corpus really need to update their Opticor jetpacks!

Obviously, there's more I can think of but I'm running out of time now.

1 minute ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

Bounties and Mining feel like they could crossover, depending on the worlds that gain Free Roam. I think that a few notable ones like Fishing, could be exclusive to the different Free Roam Nodes. Here are some ideas, off the top of my head, to gain standing with the Locals:

Venus: Restoring the Orokin system that keeps the world cool, all that dry ice.

Earth: Fishing

Mars: Kubrow Racing / Beast wrangling - I could see an arena where they are raced and/or animals are wrangled on this dusty world

Jupiter: Sky/Archwing Racing - I can imagine how cool it could be going between the Towers there, and the Corpus really need to update their Opticor jetpacks!

Obviously, there's more I can think of but I'm running out of time now.

If there was Tower Openworlds - the landscape could be HUGE because of all the potential AIR :) Tower to Tower, :D

27 minutes ago, Biglo2 said:

If there was Tower Openworlds - the landscape could be HUGE because of all the potential AIR :) Tower to Tower, :D

Doing the Balor Formorian when I had enough disruptors, I was using my Itzal and blinking pretty far, so it could be feasible, I hope. For racing though, we'd likely need to use the local equipment, because Itzal and Blink would be tops in such an event.

And I can think of a few instances where it would be sweet to have some form of battle in the air. Venus going from floating tower to tower abandoned by the Orokin (the ones we can see in the distance on those Corpus base tiles), and Lech Kril commanding Ruk's Capital ship over Mars after the Gradivus Dilemma, having a rolling red sea beneath as we work to slow Grineer deployment on Mars.

Definitf the next open world should be corpus or infested themed.
I personaly hope that we wont get for every planet a syndicate which needs a specific time to get their standing,
looking at you Quills.

Pluto would be cool for a corpus plain, a gigantic assembly line for all corpus proxis.
For Infested we currently only have Eris or the Mycona Colony (seen in Glast Gambit) for the infested.

Dunno, 

Maybe focus more on quality, instead of quantity of the content. It does not matter if PoE is 1x1 or 2x2 at this rate.
Maybe try to integrate it in a way in which it still ties in the rest of the gameplay loop considering resources and economy?
Maybe proofread the spreadsheets considering reputation requirements before putting them live?
Maybe do not release on Thursday evening if you won't support during the weekend?

2 hours ago, MrRagez said:

Shallow compared to what?  Plains is pretty much just an open tileset. It's WF to it's core

Speak for yourself. I'm sure most players enjoy plains. If they want to retain their basd they'll continue releasing wide-open landscapes. 

Edited by Hypernaut1

1 hour ago, HerpDerpy said:

Honestly if open world areas are what they intend for warframes future then I want to see them do more than just "heres an open world, now go play in it" Incorporate the open world into the full game instead of making it so that its this entirely separate entity. Make it so that all the nodes on the planet are accessible through the open world or the town. make the open area way bigger, stuff like that. Right now I almost never ever go towards the back half of the map because there's nothing back there. missions don't spawn there, the eilidon doesn't spawn there, and its pretty obvious DE got ether rushed or lazy when it came to anything past that big grineer camp on top of the hill. I mean have you ever tried mining in the back half of the map? there's hardly anything back there because DE didn't put any ore spawns back there.

I really like the idea of having the town be a hub for the whole planet rather than just one isolated node. Maybe have a tram station or ship station at the back of Cetus that would ferry you to all the other Earth nodes like Mariana, Pacific, and Oro, with a large mission selection map screen, like just a sliver of the star chart for the planet you’re on. That’s a great idea. It would make the town hubs more like hubs where people would hang out in between missions, I think, and not have to go back to their ships as much. Adding foundry access and syndicate access would be a step forward as well. I’ve heard good suggestions about having relevant syndicates have shops or offices in the towns, like Steel Meridian and New Loka in Cetus, and Perrin Sequence on Venus. That would both increase immersivity and usefulness in the towns.

In addition, I’d like to see a more persistent world. I realise there are probably significant, if not insurmountable, problems with persistent worlds in a peer-to-peer matchmaking game, but one of the things I like best about games like Fallout and Skyrim is that I can have permanent effects on the landscape. If I want to turn a town into a radioactive wasteland, it will remain a radioactive wasteland every time I go back there, and I see the results of my actions every time.

I know it might not be possible, but I’m just stating what id like to see. I think there are some ways around it. RuneScape, which is an MMORPG and thus has many many players in the same instance, had some minor things like this. I remember moving a statue from Falador to Varrack during a quest and then it would be in its new spot every time I went to Varrack (this was so many years ago so my memory might not be right). I assume everyone else just saw the statue in Falador until they each did the quest. And even in Warframe, if the Stalker is after one of the players in your group who hasn’t done Second Dream, then he spawns as Stalker instead of Shadow Stalker even if everyone else in the squad has done Second Dream. So I think there can be workarounds.

edit: plus, I play the Plains solo most of the time, so I feel it wouldn’t even matter in that case.

Edited by GrayArchon

What I'd like to see is a more varied and filled landscape.  PoE is a start, but it's mostly emptiness, and grass land where ever you go with lots of gentle rolling hills and mountains while dotted sporadically with small ponds.  It definitely needs more added to it.

Venus:

I'm thinking a colony more religiously inclined this time.  These people probably see the tower as sacred, where as the Ostrons seem okay with demolishing theirs to eat it.

I expect herbology or treasure finding, something else to take over for fishing.  Mining will probably be a universal thing.  

I expect there to be a secondary weapon crafting vendor.  For self defense or arming their militia.

Mars:

I'm thinking something akin to Mos Eisley of Tattooine: mercenaries, smugglers, bounty hunters, you name it, the refuse of the Solar System comes here.

Probably bug hunting.  Heck if I know.

Primary weapon crafting.  Mars is a bit of a warzone with the Grineer, scavenging Corpus, and a strong presence of unsavory types that have no allegiances.  Go out there with a big gun.

Edited by Littleman88

warframes attempt at an open world or large maps could take lessons from games such as farcry. yes, we protect the civilians but do we really? Other than rescue the prisoner missions we have little indicators that ostrons or civilians actually leave cetus or the main hubs. to increase immersion and improve on this aspect we should have dynamic events where civilians participate in open world activities like us mining, trapping, hunting and fishing coming into conflict with whatever hostile faction is present. where saving these civilians results in getting standing. Also poe makes a good start in terms of fleshing out the combined military aspect of the grineer we should still have ground vehicles patrolling around. Larger wildlife could also help making hunting an additional activity. Finally the resources gained in these open maps should be different to give purpose to veterans, however, be relevant to new players by creating an NPC resource trade system trading open map resources for star chart resources. 

Judgeing by the looks of things, aside from those who want Digital to scrap everything and throw it all out the window, the biggest things I hear people desire are 1. Greater integration between the open, closed, and Liset worlds of the game, 2. "Despecialization" of resources or at least a method of converting previous resources into newly-required ones, 3. Greater variety in open-world missions as well as greater freedom in doing them, and 4. Q.O.L. tweaks to break monotony.

6 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

I don't want any other landscape to have fishing or mining.

I would want mining cause you need to have consistency but fishing can stick to earth. It really only makes sense on earth anyways. 

What I want is an eris landscape. Infested world based on stranger things upside down