Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

the problem of insta-reviving.

(PSN)robotwars7

so a while back there was a tweak to the game where if you were downed you could use up one of your revives instantly at the cost of affinity, rather than having to wait for your bleed out timer to run out. granted, this is useful in a rush, but I run a sacrifice build on my Taxon, mostly play Solo and Forma weapons, so this doesn't normally affect me.

recently though I started pugging again with a couple friends who have returned to the game, and we keep noticing that randoms, many of them appearing to be newbies, insta-revive even when we are literally right next to them, about to pick them up. do they not realise they lose some affinity when they do this? are they so impatient that they can't wait half a second for me to Rhino Stomp and begin reviving them? if I was far away from them, or being a total Richard I'd understand, but this is happening on Defenses, a mode with a smaller, closed map. I'm never more than a bullet jump away whether I want to be or not, and yet as I go to revive them, they just waste one of their insta-revives.

anyone else encountered people doing this? and if you're reading this as a new-ish player, DON'T use all your insta-revives straight away: not only are you costing yourself XP, you're also going to have no revives left for if you genuinely need them. if people are near you, just wait a few seconds and if no-one appears with about 3 seconds left then go ahead and use one (or just let the timer run down, you still lose affinity either way. you CAN be revived by others!

It's getting on my nerves as well. Especially because while they're downed, their secondary weapon gets guaranteed stealth hits (a great way of getting that one level bonus for killing unalerted enemies, btw.) But no, it's the go-go-GO mentality that was driving me crazy in WoW and FF14 making itself known here as well.

Come to think of it, is it even clear enough for a new player that they can be revived by another player?

I mean, we all know the game isn't exactly newby-friendly and super transparent.

All that player is seeing while being down is "Hold 'key' to revive" and that's it (aside from an affinity loss warning). Can they even know any better, unless being told by another player?

I have a strong suspicion that if I was a new player. I'd just do as the game tells me and held 'key' to revive. And maybe someday someone would've been right next to me when I go down, and that would've been mind-blowing "Holy Clem! They can revive me!" moment.

3 hours ago, WindigoTP said:

Come to think of it, is it even clear enough for a new player that they can be revived by another player?

I mean, we all know the game isn't exactly newby-friendly and super transparent.

All that player is seeing while being down is "Hold 'key' to revive" and that's it (aside from an affinity loss warning). Can they even know any better, unless being told by another player?

I have a strong suspicion that if I was a new player. I'd just do as the game tells me and held 'key' to revive. And maybe someday someone would've been right next to me when I go down, and that would've been mind-blowing "Holy Clem! They can revive me!" moment.

Yeah this.  They probably get a clue from Lotus' message re. other players eventually, but you know how it is when you start games, it's a bit chaotic and you don't really understand what's going on, so you're likely to latch on to the nearest clear message; "hold key to revive" is like a klaxon in that context.

I must admit this is one of the more recent game features that I'm dubious about. 

It's convenient, but it chips away a bit of co-op from a game that's already only nominally co-op for most of its content.

Also it's a bit of a waste of time for other players who scamper over to you with the intent to rez you.

If you have this insta-rez option, you might as well not bother with the option of players rezzing players, because the two are mutually contradictory.

I can't help but think that this is one of those bad choices that DE occasionally make (like keeping coptering in for so long and not instantly nixing it as soon as it was discovered) that has far-reaching negative consequences.  And as with coptering, the problem is that removing it at this late stage, when people are used to it, is likely to cause a huge outcry.

tl;dr The game is already hyperkinetic and only barely "co-operative" - why introduce another element that's likely to make things go even faster, and induce players to feel even more self-contained???

Edited by Omnimorph

Well, place yourself in a shoes of a new player in pug.

Their teammates burn through enemies, while they struggle to kill stuff with mk.I unmodded weapons.

Their teammates move lightning fast through the level, while they struggle to navigate the tileset.

They are left behind and swarmed by enemies, while their teammates yell at them from other end of the level "get to extraction son of a gutora, y u so slow".

Not to mention revive screen doesn't explicitly says that teammates can revive them, it has "hold E to lose affinity" instead.