The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The G Word in Chat. We're not in the 2nd Grade

(XBOX)bigsnake84

I understand that the word CAN be used offensively, but nowadays it's absolutely not offensive. Its actually very accepted and anyone who uses it in offense is shrugged off. So why treat us like kids who need a time out?

I recently had a small conversation about a character in the show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. His name is Mac and hes known to show G behaviors (dont want to say it since now the G word is suddenly taboo) I said it once casually and now I cant continue to help some new players while having fun random discussions. But I guess the N word spammers get all the wiggle room

Seriously though, there needs to be a smarter way to handle such a small word. Censoring exists without kicking people, why not that. Alternatively, give a warning for such easily mistakable words. I mean I've seen some terrible texts in chat that use no text tricks, but it seems to get the green light.

How are new players supposed to tell whats ok when the most vulgar stuff is seemingly allowed?

And no, the old rule of "If you have to ask, then dont" doesnt count because the world is more open/edgy about stuff. The G word is pretty low tier compared to other allowed words.

I always found it extremely redundant when a game has a profanity filter and a kick/ban system on top of that. If you are letting me disable the profanity filter (which is on by default, so I`m consenting that I`m ready to see those bad words), why won't you let me use the words I agreed to see and use?

The redundancy in Warframe doubles down as the game has M rating, so kids and people who are not ready for the gutter shouldn't be anywhere near this game. 

As OP pointed out, the system, even with its double redundancy, isn't even working, because there are lots of harmless words banned/censored, while some actually offensive aren't. 

And if developer does choose to go the road of censorship, you must go much harder on it. I have been threatened several times before for using word "damn" in public clan/guild chats - Christians find it extremely offensive for some reason. And no beer on the devstreams as well anymore then, kids and ex-alcoholics might be watching, you know.

I don't like the idea of an instant 24 hour ban from chat without warning for saying the word 'gay' either. Btw it is ok so use it on the forums provided it isn't in a disrespectful way, how d'ya like dem apples?

EDIT: Forgot to add, from what I've researched it seems DE wants to keep region chat 100% "pure" and "clean" which I mean sure that is ok, but there are plenty of ways to get around such a simple philosophy.

Edited by More-L

2 minutes ago, More-L said:

Btw it is ok so use it on the forums provided it isn't in a disrespectful way

One of OP's points is that there are no guidelines anywhere what words are and are not prohibited on chat.

So weall, yeah, better be safe and not use chat at all in that case.

Just now, Rociel said:

One of OP's points is that there are no guidelines anywhere what words are and are not prohibited on chat.

So weall, yeah, better be safe and not use chat at all in that case.

I made a forum post about this exact same issue back in July, I really don't understand why DE can't simply make the chat bot PM you and say "Hey, that is a bad word, first and only warning. Do not use it again." Quite a few people seemed to only say region chat is stupid and pointless. 

I don't even see any point trying to get this through to DE though, I mean an official partner is called "A Gay Guy Plays" but you still get insta-banned for using it in region, I think we should just be thankful the forums aren't anywhere near that level of strictness at this point.

2 minutes ago, More-L said:

I mean an official partner is called "A Gay Guy Plays" but you still get insta-banned for using it in region, I think we should just be thankful the forums aren't anywhere near that level of strictness at this point.

I'm not even sure the nick applies to him, as I think it's a gimmick to have a leeway on the amount of bs he says.

Just now, Rociel said:

Obviously it's all just a troll in his quest to get as many people banned on region chat as possible.

No, I actually think he is just trying to be a "special snowflake" in the sea of generic youtubers.
And the word "gay" might have some "shock value" to gain a few more subscribers who think it is funny.

Just now, Husla said:

g-g-g-g unit

you say its low tier but many people get offended by. Different countries/cultures have ways of saying certain swears/things, obviously it's hard to censor every single word.

Well, as a guy who actually identifies as a homosexual male, I am fine with the term "gay" as long as it is not used as a derogatory term. Only then I have an issue with it. But even then it is not enough to get my knickers in a twist over it.

6 minutes ago, Husla said:

Different countries/cultures have ways of saying certain swears/things, obviously it's hard to censor every single word.

We are talking English. IIRC "kurwa" is censored even but N-word is not, according to OP (i might be wrong on that, but not about to test). English is the only language where N-word is an offensive word, while kurwa is really like everyday word for you average pole, used in both, excitement and anger, and shouldn't mean anything for anyone who hasn't specifically went out of his way to learn its meaning.

Point being that the censorship on chat ir redundant, there are no guidelines and warnings and it's not even done right.

Also, I get offended by word "stupid" on anything I like, please censor that.

Edited by Rociel
N-word got censored on forum, yay.

Just now, Rociel said:

We are talking English. IIRC "kurwa" is censored even but N-word is not, according to OP (i might be wrong on that, but not about to test). English is the only language where N-word is an offensive word, while kurwa is really like everyday word for you average pole, used in both, excitement and anger, and shouldn't mean anything for anyone who hasn't specifically went out of his way to learn its meaning.

Funny thing. You have two ways of speaking of someone of said race: B or N. And the two words have different connotations. Here in Argentina we only have the N word and has both meanings. It's not exactly what you say, but how you say it. Of course in plain text is all the same.

I often have the problem of not being able to convey my intentions trough text as I would with my voice and body language.

2 minutes ago, Rociel said:

Also, I get offended by word "stupid" on anything I like, please censor that.

I once made a girl flip the hell out just by saying her "with all respect, I don't find you s*xually atractive", with an English Gentleman tone. It was hilarious! Turns out that's, like, the worst thing you can say to any woman under 45.

1 minute ago, Nazrethim said:

I once made a girl flip the hell out just by saying her "with all respect, I don't find you s*xually atractive", with an English Gentleman tone. It was hilarious! Turns out that's, like, the worst thing you can say to any woman under 45.

And if you want to trigger one over 45, "with all respect, I wouldn't have found you s*xually attractive 20 years ago"

And I'll admit I'm an edgelord, so I definitely have some bias as to what words aren't bothersome. Still, it'd be nice to at least get some temporary chat warning strike that lasts a week or two. Break it again and then you get the normal 24 hour ban.

Like someone above said, Kickbot can PM you about what you said, giving you your one and only warning for an unspecified amount of time.