The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike the Operator

BlackCoMerc

8 hours ago, OfficialFrogvara said:

Literally incorrect. All quests are story quests in WF, and every frame quest (save for Chains of Harrow) is about the frame. And what quests before were focused on the Warframes? Vor'd Prize? The Archwing quest?

This is, frankly, the first time we're focusing on the player character itself, rather than the quest being about other NPCs and us just interacting with them.

I meant more the 'main story' quests. Things that progress the 'plot' such as it is. And we do have quests about specific frames, but they're just about that individual frame. Not 'warframes' as a whole, y'know?

Nothing about their nature, backstory, stuff like that. Nothing like all the exposition and lore we're getting for the spuds.

And speaking of Frame Quests, why did it matter that Limbo telefragged himself when his operator would have been fine? Why did Mirage's heroic sacrifice mean anything when her operator would have been FINE? All these things mean so little when you realize that the actual PERSON behind them is just some dork kid, safe and sound who knows how far away.

On 11. 11. 2017 at 9:54 PM, DeltaPangaea said:

I meant more the 'main story' quests. Things that progress the 'plot' such as it is. And we do have quests about specific frames, but they're just about that individual frame. Not 'warframes' as a whole, y'know?

Nothing about their nature, backstory, stuff like that. Nothing like all the exposition and lore we're getting for the spuds.

And speaking of Frame Quests, why did it matter that Limbo telefragged himself when his operator would have been fine? Why did Mirage's heroic sacrifice mean anything when her operator would have been FINE? All these things mean so little when you realize that the actual PERSON behind them is just some dork kid, safe and sound who knows how far away.

Again, I'm still sure these are the only quests that actually progress the story.

And I'm sorry to disappoint... but the nature, backstory, exposition for Warframes... is the Operators. We are actually focusing on Warframes focusing on the Operators.

Let me repeat that -We are focusing on what the Warframes are by focusing on the Operators.

Yeah, those quests do lose meaning. It's as if DE didn't plan ahead to make the backstory about magical space children :thonking:

At this point, I don't mean to say it's a good thing, just that the sooner you accept Operators existing, the less angry you will be with subsequent updates.

• 4 years later...

I don't find the IDEA of the operator in principle to be bad. But I find it's implementation horrendously fiddly. It feels like two games awkwardly tacked together rather than two parts of a whole game. I think this is a problem that also afflicted arcwing. But nobody is complaining about that cos DE pretty much abandoned it. What's done is done and all that. 

I think that if rather than having it's own 'operator' mode the operator should have added one or two new abilities to each frame bringing the total up to 6. Possibly different abilities depending on the school. So a Naramon loki would have two core abilities that differed from a Zenurik loki etc etc. The multitude of cool new abilities to try out and find synergies with would have 100% been better than what is effectively a minigame that as the OP mentioned the main game has no doubt suffered to implement. You could even have the operator appear as part of that ability. Sure this would have meant making like 10 new abilities for each frame. But compared to the amount of resources already sunk into this that's not really that bad. And can any of you honestly say you wouldn't love to see that? 

On 2017-11-04 at 6:19 PM, Xaero said:

Because it's fun. As someone who got everything the game could offer I really enjoyed having such a different gameplay option. Through upgrading the focus tree, getting a good amp and arcanes Operator becomes pretty powerful, survivable and fast. I can even kill later game bosses using only my child soldier.

Reveal hidden contents

I have no problems with the frailty or awkward locomotion of the operators but I hate the transfer, it looks nice on the video as it's playing solo with a sense of what's to come.

I have been building all my frames to avoid using the transfer as much as possible, the reasons are: bug, lag, suicidal issues I always avoid pressing the 5 key as the operator delays my clumsy abilities in the process of bringing my distant frame on the map.

another problem is that dying as an operator returns the operator to the parked warframe but does not teleport the warframe to my operator, this is horrible for gameplay as it pushes back its position on the map and delays teammate extraction.

I don't hate the operator, playing with the pilgrim ( Drifter ) was a lot of fun and it felt like another game, i was in control of my character and when I died the character was still an operator.