Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The endless "Void" left by the Relic System

Kimimoto

Old void was the only real fun I ever had with this game. It's like now I only play it in memory of that. The void was the closest we ever had to an "endgame", now we're just always doing easy content without anything to strive for.

We had a reason to make the most of our frames and weapons, to play as a team. We could come up with builds and tactics and see how far they could go with a sense of purpose. Now we just find ourselves wondering why we even bother with any of it.

A game without an incentive to perform better is just stale and boring.

The problem I guess is with people performing too well, finding ways to trivialise anything. Rather than try to balance and fix these issues DE took the easy way out of removing the incentive, but in doing so they killed the soul of the game. Now we can be inifinitely overpowered and the game can be utterly broken, but it doesn't matter, because nothing does.

The biggest problem with the Relic system can be summarized in two words - "Why bother?".

Yes, tiny chances to get that rare rotation C drop in a t4/t3 endless were NOT a good thing. But at least there was some purpose to putting a bit of effort in. 

Now? I spend more time farming traces and relics than the actual Primes, and neither of those requires anything remotely resembling effort, just a LOT of time. 4-wave Xini and 20-wave Hydron runs cover all you Neo/Axi needs, and a 3-minute long Radshare exterminate either nets you the part you want or sends you back into the grind.

I'm not saying the previous key system was flawless, getting Rare parts from non-endless keys was an unpleasant experience to say the least, but current Relic system is way, way too bland to enjoy. Another rework plox. 

12 hours ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Quite often you'll get more relics from your endless missions though, and getting those doesn't take away from your possible prime part rewards.

I took that into account when coming up with those numbers, "gaining back ~11 keys (~8 from rotations, 3 from 25/50/75)" That's the maximum amount of relics you could gain from that mission.

12 hours ago, DeltaPangaea said:

It's also easier to get relics in general than it was to get void keys, they aren't equitable 1:1. I go into a derelict survival and can come out with a relic for every single reward, depending on how the dice fall.

Sure relics are easier to get than void keys, but you're also spending more of them now.

13 hours ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Furthermore, the previous system was incredibly rigid. You wanted X part, you needed to do X mission. Hope you enjoy Defense! Now you just need X relic and can do whatever mission. Don't like interceptions? Don't do em. Wait for a different fissure. Enjoy captures? Then just do captures.

I agree players should be able to play what they want, and the new system completely accommodates that. I'm not advocating for the old void back, just the incentive it gave.

Most of your post is talking about how the new system is better and it is! The thread is not about bringing back the old void, but the one aspect of it that gave it incentive and challenge for very little content. 

10 minutes ago, Kimimoto said:

Most of your post is talking about how the new system is better and it is! The thread is not about bringing back the old void, but the one aspect of it that gave it incentive and challenge for very little content.

See that's what baffles me a little bit. There was incentive before, and there's incentive now, it's just now the incentive is actually DIRECTLY 'more stuff' as opposed to the INDIRECT 'more stuff' you could get before from saving keys.

I don't get it.