The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Hate

(PSN)TheMostActual93

Hey everyone! This is my first post on the forums and I am fairly new to warframe, but I'm loving it so far. 

I think I have found my main in Volt. This frame fits me to a T and I love everything about it. My wish is to play the best Volt possible for my team. 

I have been lurking on the forums for a few weeks trying to learn all that I can about this awesome game. In doing so, however, I have discovered a little negativity towards Volt. Since I am still new to the game, I haven't had many conversations with players in-game, so I really don't know why there is hate towards my favorite frame. I defintely don't want to be the type of player that ruins the game for others, so could someone please explain what is wrong with Volt so that I know what to NOT do when I'm playing on a squad?

1 minute ago, Kaotyke said:

"Volt hate"?

Op, are you drunk?

It seems some people really hate getting the Speed Buff, hence the hate. 

OP, don't worry. Volt is an amazing frame capable of doing lots of things, some people just tend to get annoyed if they also get the speed buff since it can mess up their movement and frame rate. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about that, just tell them to backflip to get rid of it and maybe try to cast it while a little bit away from these kind of teammates so only you get the buff. Or, when you get your hands on it, use Narrow Minded to heavily reduce its range. 

1 minute ago, aligatorno said:

OP, don't worry. Volt is an amazing frame capable of doing lots of things, some people just tend to get annoyed if they also get the speed buff since it can mess up their movement and frame rate. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about that, just tell them to backflip to get rid of it and maybe try to cast it while a little bit away from these kind of teammates so only you get the buff. Or, when you get your hands on it, use Narrow Minded to heavily reduce its range. 

I see! I will admit, playing on PS4 and moving that fast can turn the game into a slideshow. 

Volt is one of my favorites to play as, but one of my least favorites to play with. 

The reason is Speed. It increases sprint and melee speed to everyone in range. When you aren't expecting it, or are in the middle of Parkour, it can throw you off. It can also make melee combos harder to time. 

It can be really annoying when a Volt just constantly casts it, I do a backflip to dispel it, and it's immediately recast again, and we aren't even running to the exit or anything. The game just becomes backflip simulator. 

I really only use Volt for Exterminate Relic runs.  I made sure to mod his speed boost to only be a little faster than bullet jumping.  The basic idea being the group should be able to keep up regardless of how well they mastered parkour or if I get really turned around I can catch back up.  I sometimes have to point out that collecting all the void fissures sometimes gives your powers a boost pushing Volt's speed boost further than I wanted as players cab get annoyed at it being way too much speed for them to control well.

I can understand some players getting annoyed with Volt players as they can go way too far to speed boost.  The Volt player is used to it and know exactly when it is going to happen.  The rest of the squad, not so much.  It can be really annoying to be close to cliff and sped off of it or have your parkour completely thrown off by it. 

1 minute ago, Kinetos said:

Volt is one of my favorites to play as, but one of my least favorites to play with. 

The reason is Speed. It increases sprint and melee speed to everyone in range. When you aren't expecting it, or are in the middle of Parkour, it can throw you off. It can also make melee combos harder to time. 

It can be really annoying when a Volt just constantly casts it, I do a backflip to dispel it, and it's immediately recast again, and we aren't even running to the exit or anything. The game just becomes backflip simulator. 

I wasn't even thinking about other player's combos! This makes sense and I could see how that would become annoying. 

2 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

Or don't cast it at all. It brings no value to missions where people are already moving at a suitable speed without buffs to begin with. Quite literally all it does is mess with the ability to navigate maps. The only place speed volt won't get hate is on the plains where it's open and suited to his speed buff actually providing function of getting between bounty zones efficiently.

2 minutes ago, Kinetos said:

This quote reinforces what I just said. yeah, we get that faster melee speed can be good for a lot of builds. but valkyr will bring a better melee attack speed specific buff to the table that won't interfere with literally every other aspect of play.

1 minute ago, (PS4)LucastheUniverse said:

I wasn't even thinking about other player's combos! This makes sense and I could see how that would become annoying. 

Neither do the speed spammers. Difference between you and them, however, is that you are actually putting thought into actively avoiding bad behaviors, while they continue regardless of requests to stop because "their playstyle" which isn't a playstyle, but rather is out and out griefing.

8 minutes ago, Xaelroa said:

Or don't cast it at all.

Yeah, no. Some people, like me , use it for its attack speed buff, so not casting it turns the whole build null. A Shocking Speed Volt requires it to stay alive efficiently. 

Edited by aligatorno

4 minutes ago, Xaelroa said:

This quote reinforces what I just said. yeah, we get that faster melee speed can be good for a lot of builds. but valkyr will bring a better melee attack speed specific buff to the table that won't interfere with literally every other aspect of play.

Cooincidentally, Valkyr is one of my other "favorite to play as, not to play with" frames, also for Warcry. I just don't like variable melee speed and prefer control to speed generally. Warcry at least doesn't also ruin running speed but with Eternal War the melee speed can be permanent if they catch you in range and then manage to keep it going. 

1 minute ago, aligatorno said:

Yeah, no. Some people, like me , use it for its attack speed buff, so not casting it turns the whole build null. A Shocking Speed Volt requires it to stay alive efficiently. 

The problem is your preferred build quite literally causes nothing but problems for the remainder of the squad. For the exact reasons already listed. Shocking speed volt is NOT a squad friendly build. Several frames have builds like that. If you're running a squad on public, don't play shocking speed. Especially with an influx of newer players who haven't had time to master/adjust dealing with the sudden speed increase on the fly. Forcing them to deal with it can easily drive them away and into the "we will never play volt" crowd simply because they won't want to be "the problem person" they experienced.

8 minutes ago, Xaelroa said:

Neither do the speed spammers. Difference between you and them, however, is that you are actually putting thought into actively avoiding bad behaviors, while they continue regardless of requests to stop because "their playstyle" which isn't a playstyle, but rather is out and out griefing.

Quite rude. Speed can be useful, but understandably if you built around having a particular speed it's massively annoying to get a Volt increasing it two or three times. But, it's also really inconvenient as a Volt to have to run away from all of your team just to use one of your abilities when its use it almost required because you built around its use. 

If I remember correctly, you can actually simply backflip in order to remove the buff, and move at whatever your normal speed was. I don't know of many Volts that press the button without the timer being near completion. 

1 minute ago, Xaelroa said:

The problem is your preferred build quite literally causes nothing but problems for the remainder of the squad. For the exact reasons already listed. Shocking speed volt is NOT a squad friendly build. Several frames have builds like that. If you're running a squad on public, don't play shocking speed. Especially with an influx of newer players who haven't had time to master/adjust dealing with the sudden speed increase on the fly. Forcing them to deal with it can easily drive them away and into the "we will never play volt" crowd simply because they won't want to be "the problem person" they experienced.

If I was to use Volt more commonly I would put on Narrow Minded to minimize the effect.  However, I am not giving up a power I find useful on one the starter frames because new players aren't used to it.  Chances are, since it is a starter frame, they have played with a Volt far more recently than I have since new players are going to be doing new player content, and despite the general advice of picking Excalibur first, are going have new players with Volt with the speed boost one of the most obviously useful powers in their arsenal.  I am not suggesting go crazy with it.  Like I said, I don't really want my Volt to have speed boost much faster than bullet jumping as I don't think that is too fast even for someone not used to it and often allows newer players to keep up with me if I am rushing through a mission.

As another Volt main, I can see some of the hate for volt. Mainly speed volt, as others have said, it causes some annoyance to other players. I myself play a CC support volt (range, duration, capacitance augment) you should try that sometime, it works pretty nice too.

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2017 at 1:59 PM, Kinetos said:

350% agree with the backflip sim statement .. if I ask a volt to stop spamming speed 9 times out of 10 they will start following me and as soon as I backflip the cast again .. .. at that point I sit down and let the rest of the team finish the mission. 

I dont mind volt using speed its one of the things he brings among the rest of his great utility it messes me up I backflip out of it and continue to do my thing if he's an idiot about it I stop trying to help on the mission because I feel the volt just said "I can solo this content why are you even here."

The only problem with Volt is how he is not what they advertise him to be.

Where is the high damage alternative to gunplay? Shock should do way more damage than be a crappy CC skill that doesn't even CC.

I have no issues with speed as adapting to it is not a problem. Volt Prime was my second prime frame and changing speeds is no issue. It doesn't affect bullet jump anyway.

Volt needs more damage on skills, probably higher sprint speed than Loki...

Volt is great! I use him as my PoE frame most of the time. I haven't read anything about hating volt, for what I know volt is a meta frame in the eidolon fight, he can clean entire defense tiles quickly and if you want to speed run an alert, he is your boy... why would anyone hate him? maybe it has to do with the platform you're playing in? sometimes a controller with too little sensitivity could make difficult to control a frame with the speed buff.