Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scythes Temporary Solution.

KX297

Most people seem to agree that Scythes suffer mostly due to their incredibly lackluster and clunky stances. Overall, most of the Scythes have okay stats. Like, the Hate isn't that bad. Base damage is okay, critical chance is alright, status is pretty solid, etc. The issues is the fact that the stances feel very slow in combat. They don't flow well, nor do they feel natural. 

Now, the solution to this would be to release new stances, which takes time and effort. Then, upon release, players have to farm them or buy them from others. 

For the sake of easing some of the issues presented with Scythes, I propose two solutions until new stances or attack animations are brought forward;

1) Increase all Scythes' attack speeds. This would aid with the slow and clunky animations. It wouldn't actually alter much, but it would, in my opinion, make them feel a little nicer. Currently, the only time I really enjoy using my Hate, which has a fairly low attack speed, is with Valkyr and Eternal War. The increased attack speed helps alleviate the irritation brought on by Reaping Spiral and Stalking Fan. Increasing the base attack speed of the weapons would definitely lead me to consider using them more frequently.

2) Increase the range of all Scythes. The range mixed with the awkward attack animations leads to increasingly sub-par combat. A lot of times, It seems that Stalking Fan's spinning combo should make contact, but doesn't. I think a base range increase across all Scythes would help them greatly by allowing them to deal with crowds a little easier, even with the somewhat 'derpy' animations. 

These are the two ideas I have until some other stance is released, or the current ones are redone.

Thoughts? 

3 minutes ago, LABAL said:

No stance is also a stance.

Do you mean use them without a stance all together? Because if so, that is hardly a solution. 

Even their base animations are slow and weird. Not to mention you would be using an entire melee weapon class with out any stances, which just wouldn't be right. 

Sure, you could, but it doesn't advance the problem in anyway. 

I feel like scythe should be way longer and feature a special mechanic to deal extra damage if the enemy is hit with the blade part, making them more dangerous on the last third of the weapon would make them more rewarding for players who can estimate the right distance. They rather feel like long kamas at the moment and make no use of their length.

Plus what OP said, scythes stances are all some spectacular jumping around that does not look like an actual combat technique or is anything close to useful. They should have large sweeps and slashes, not some throwing around and spinning. Sometimes it's better when something is less spectacular and more effective instead.

31 minutes ago, Fishyflakes said:

Riven Mods Riven Mods Riven
Riven Mods Riven Mods Riven Mods
Riven

mods

Riven mods are a terrible solution. They don't fix the long term issue of terrible animations, and they require you to stack RNG on top of RNG. They were a band-aid solution to start with.

Sure, you could find a riven mod, but that still doesn't fix the problems Scythes have as a whole. My solution won't even fix that, but at least it's something until another stance or animation rework comes out. 

I sincerely hope that DE doesn't take this outlook and just start chopping up issues like this into simple "find a riven" solutions. 

1 hour ago, KX297 said:

Riven mods are a terrible solution. They don't fix the long term issue of terrible animations, and they require you to stack RNG on top of RNG. They were a band-aid solution to start with.

Sure, you could find a riven mod, but that still doesn't fix the problems Scythes have as a whole. My solution won't even fix that, but at least it's something until another stance or animation rework comes out. 

I sincerely hope that DE doesn't take this outlook and just start chopping up issues like this into simple "find a riven" solutions. 

You can't ignore them, or else we get Sicarus buff + Riven Mod = super broken

Or, you can ignore them, and miss out :awkward:

Choice is yours.

Edited by Fishyflakes

5 hours ago, Genoscythe said:

I feel like scythe should be way longer and feature a special mechanic to deal extra damage if the enemy is hit with the blade part, making them more dangerous on the last third of the weapon would make them more rewarding for players who can estimate the right distance. They rather feel like long kamas at the moment and make no use of their length.

Due to the current hitbox/model disparity, that would be a very, very bad idea.

35 minutes ago, LABAL said:

Due to the current hitbox/model disparity, that would be a very, very bad idea.

The hitboxes of enemeis are fine, it's the melee weapons animations/hitzone creation that is totally off. As the scythe stances have been created very early, refinenemts would need to be done. Also mind I never said that scythes should deal reduced damage on normal hits, just increased damage on blade-hits, meaning the worst you can get is full damage.