Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Suggestion) Equinox Metamorphosis

Ehrazmus

Is it weird that I get this ideas while I'm doing laundry? Keeps the bored mind active I guess.

Anyway:

Equinox is a 2 warframe... warframe. I was actually surprised that we do not have to lvl 30 Day form and lvl 30 Night form before combining them together, That would have been a nice MR fodder if you ask me.

Equinox' passive ability is Equilibrium, just like the Mod of the same name, it allows Equinox to get a percentage of the orb he/she gets, If its a health orb, he/she gets a bit of energy, and vice versa. 

Problem is, the reason why only Nekros seems to be able to properly utilize this mod is because there are so few warframes that could actually increase the drop rate of these orbs from enemies. Equinox is not one of them and therefore makes this passive lackluster.

------

Now, my first idea is pretty vague, unfurnished. It is to change the Equinox' Roll (triggered by the Shift button for PC). Like Limbo who can jump from 1 plane to the another with a single press of a button, why not change from 1 Form to another?

This in turn leaves the 1st skill of Equinox empty, that's why I said its vague. It could be something that would synergy with Equilibrium but I have no idea what.

It also ruins the [Mend and Maim] and [Pacify and Provoke] skill as rolling would make those skills ineffective

-------

My first idea is a bit unpolished so let's simply move on and ignore it for now.

My other idea is a bit more complex and complete in thought, it does work with Equilibrium without having to mess up with the Roll because an accidental roll could mess up Mend and Maim and Pacify and Provoke. Nonetheless, it is still a change in Equinox 1st skill with the addition of one of its 4th, Mend.

What I am suggesting is that, a change for Metamorphosis, Now many people do like the buff that you get when switching forms but do hear me out. My idea is something that looks like Volt's final skill, Discharge. Just change the casting speed, element and ability range. Or you know, a simpler attack type ability, its the first skill after all. You do you.

Of course this new ability, [Night and Day] changes you from 1 form to the other. Although that doesn't really fit Equinox' naming convention. Typically 2 words that starts at the same letter. Other name idea is [Dusk till Dawn] but it uses till instead of and. [Dusk and Dawn]?

Day form causes a single fire AOE, burning proc, chance of knockdown, enemy death = Red Orbs
Night form, single frost AOE, slow, chance of freezing. enemy death = Blue Orbs

Synergy with Mend and Maim: A percentage of the collected number would be added to skill damage to increase the chance enemy death, therefore not wasting collected numbers entirely.
Synergy with Pacify and Provoke: A percentage from this skill would increase the chance of orb drop. because changing forms does reset Pacify and Provoke, might as well use it.

At this point Equilibrium actually makes sense... and with this new ability, though look similar, the elemental effect would really say "this warframe has 8 abilities" instead of 6 with an awkward wardrobe change.

However, the ability to spawn Red Orbs makes Mend useless... then again, Mend is already useless.

Night Equinox and Nezha share the same problem when it comes to healing, they both require enemy death to heal (Technically Nekros too). Unlike Oberon and Trinity who can heal whenever you need it. This is like. 

"Hey Buddy, I'm wounded."

"Could you wait for like 20 seconds? Like hold onto your gut wound for a bit? I'll just get my heal up. Also because you are wounded and dying, its my time to shine and get some kills, why don't you just hide in a corner, I'll heal you up when I'm ready"

I mean, I do understand Nezha because Blazing Chakram is his 2nd skill, but Mend is Night Equinox' fourth ability. Fourth usually means more powerful/useful ability. Why is her healing like that?

I don't know what to replace Mend to be honest, but that one should be easy.

Edited by Ehrazmus

Mend is fine. It does take a few seconds to wind up a few kills to heal everyone, but Night form can weaken enemies and/or shut down large crowds of enemies while she (or the squad) gets these kills. It would be nice if we had something else on Mend to make it feel more ultimate, though. Perhaps a slow (a little redundant unless it would stack with Pacify's augment) or perhaps an small enemy defense debuff.

Just now, SenorClipClop said:

Mend is fine. It does take a few seconds to wind up a few kills to heal everyone, but Night form can weaken enemies and/or shut down large crowds of enemies while she (or the squad) gets these kills. It would be nice if we had something else on Mend to make it feel more ultimate, though. Perhaps a slow (a little redundant unless it would stack with Pacify's augment) or perhaps an small enemy defense debuff.

Maybe remove the healing part on Mend? Add something else instead? I can't think of one right now

From Past Reworks, I sort of like how Hydroid's Rework went.

Like many Not Primed WarFrame. I will now say, " Wait for 1~2 Months before Equinox Prime do happen". (Bring up your Final Thoughts)

Spoiler

I don't think you will see DE able to "Totally Near-Perfect" most WarFrame up to date.

Doing "Rework" now of certain Frames take up time, and part of DE Team, meaning, Contents come to Slow.

If I can estimate from this : https://www.tennoclocknews.com/warframe-release-and-prime-log/.

I would say, you have handful of Months. And Equinox Prime might be by Mid Next Year, NOT GUARANTEED.

4 minutes ago, Bouldershoulder said:

3 is a loss when it's 80% speed reduction built up with literal pain

Haha, yeah your right. I was so used on just turning it on and forgetting about it. I mean, Pain is part of the combat so yea.. I'll get harmed no matter what, its not like the enemies would stop harming me anyways.

32 minutes ago, Ehrazmus said:

Haha, yeah your right. I was so used on just turning it on and forgetting about it. I mean, Pain is part of the combat so yea.. I'll get harmed no matter what, its not like the enemies would stop harming me anyways.

Usually I try to limit the damage I take myself as Equinox does not have so much health and armor to charge the slow and survive, and charging it off of allies is a real pain since area is not that big and they tend to drift away too far from me. So it's double pain.

28 minutes ago, Ehrazmus said:

What about.. additional Orb drop chance based on Pacify and Provoke? While the damage is from Mend and Maim?

I'm not sure if I get the correct meaning, but changing Metamorphosis into a static cast will feel like stumbling.

I don't really think Equinox needs a rework. Mend isn't meant as a post factum heal. I mostly use it when I think it will be needed (e.g. if some hot head is charging ahead alone or if we are hard-pressed, or just right after changing to night form, it depends). Also, one high-level enemy is usually enough for a good heal with Mend. Equinox is mostly a CC/utility warframe, her passive works with Nekros and Oberon. I'd rather say we need a rework on how health orbs drop.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

1 minute ago, SenorClipClop said:

Maybe a little off-topic, but I find that apart from the very lowest levels, I get way more damage playing Night Form than I do in Day form.

Dat spider build.....

Sleep and Murder? Yeah, I do that too. Fun Fun, luckily my suggestion doesn't really harm that

Rolling is 75% damage reduction, and I don't want to switch forms all that often. Why would it make any sense to change Metamorphosis to Equinox's dodge?

Also, you'll note the buff indicator ticking down when you change, each form has a short buff when you switch to it.

Edited by peterc3

On 11/9/2017 at 11:31 PM, Ehrazmus said:

Maybe remove the healing part on Mend? Add something else instead? I can't think of one right now

Equinox is made to be a jack of all trades and one of the key features that sets her apart is her healing. I think Equinox is fine since Metamorphosis allows you to gain either more survivability or more damage for quite a long duration. Her other abilities are much more useful and I like Mend. It’s pretty essential for Mend to heal Equinox considering that her Night Form is made for survival. 

On 11/11/2017 at 10:54 PM, peterc3 said:

Rolling is 75% damage reduction, and I don't want to switch forms all that often. Why would it make any sense to change Metamorphosis to Equinox's dodge?

As I said, the 1st idea is vague, unpolished. I'm more into the 2nd one so don't worry about it.

------------

On 11/11/2017 at 10:54 PM, peterc3 said:

Also, you'll note the buff indicator ticking down when you change, each form has a short buff when you switch to it.

On 11/12/2017 at 12:44 AM, (PS4)godlysparta said:

I think Equinox is fine since Metamorphosis allows you to gain either more survivability or more damage for quite a long duration.

I understand this, Night adds more durability while the Day does more damage... But when you are in combat, you use [Rest and Rage], turn on [Pacify and Provoke] or [Mend and Maim] Now... are you using [Metamorphosis] for the buff or for Equinox' other abilities? I'm pretty sure when I am spamming Rest, the reason I am doing so is because I want Rest, when I activate Pacify, I'm using it for for the sake of using Pacify which in turn doesn't really make me... care what my buff is.

Another problem is when I need the buff I need to cast it twice just to get it back and therefore lose all my collected percentage and points from [Pacify and Provoke] same with [Mend and Maim]. So do you really want to waste those things for the sake of a buff that you barely care about??

The Synergy between Night's Buff and Pacify. The enemies are slowed down... their attacks are now dodge-able and weaker!... what's the use of my additional durability then? Peaceful Provocation? I'm pretty sure there are better ways to increase this ability instead of getting ourselves run over by a truck. I mean... you buffed that to yourself because you need it.

"Oh boy, I nearly died there, Sure thankful that this Night Form buff saved my life! Now let's just go out there and test out this additional durability that I just got by taking 5 bombard rockets to the face! because that doesn't sound insane at all! Wait! Nevermind! I'll just slit my own throat with this self damaging weapon, that'll show them"

-----------------------

On 11/12/2017 at 12:44 AM, (PS4)godlysparta said:

Her other abilities are much more useful and I like Mend. It’s pretty essential for Mend to heal Equinox considering that her Night Form is made for survival. 

I'm not saying Mend is horrible, But I am not saying its great either. For a 'fourth' ability, especially what you need to do for ability to actually work which is by the way a bit difficult when you are alone. Then yea, no. When you do your solo mission, you are dying, your HP is low and and yet you need to get out there and kill enemies, blatantly expose your frail body even further just to heal yourself... How does that make sense? Also its your 4th ability! It has to be one of the best!

"OMG, I put all this work to unlock this spell! Sure hope its all worth it!!! And boom, No Man's Sky level of disappointment"

Its not that hard to unlock abilities I know, I'm just exaggerating but you get the point.

The current combo when you are alone and wounded is, Cast [Mend], Cast [Rest], kill that guy and heal yourself. Now what if there is no one close and all you have is snipers? Something that is typically a mile away because you have [Pacify]-ied the enemy so hard the snipers didn't bother coming close. Yep, time to paint a bull's eye all over my low HP body while I bum rush those snipers.. GG. Oh, I know. Let's turn off [Pacify]! Then I'll get rushed and killed as the enemy return to normal speed. Oh? I survived? Time to damage my hp like a madman again!! And the insanity continues.

Edited by Ehrazmus

On 11/10/2017 at 2:15 AM, Ehrazmus said:

Now, my first idea is pretty vague, unfurnished. It is to change the Equinox' Roll (triggered by the Shift button for PC). Like Limbo who can jump from 1 plane to the another with a single press of a button, why not change from 1 Form to another?

This in turn leaves the 1st skill of Equinox empty, that's why I said its vague. It could be something that would synergy with Equilibrium but I have no idea what.

It also ruins the [Mend and Maim] and [Pacify and Provoke] skill as rolling would make those skills ineffective

I've honestly loved this idea for quite some time. I've despised that Equinox's Dual Form is cosmetic only, and always felt that switching forms shouldn't cost energy, and always would say to my clanmates, "I wish rolling would change her form, and 1 would turn her into the Dual Form, at least temporarily. Call it Duality, and change her augment into Trinity for two spectres."

Upon revision, I'd think that rolling would have a few mechanics to it. First off, it'd be the dash, and as of current it would still have the short transitory phase that takes time to switch over with a couple moments in the Dual Form. I would say that tapping to dash again, either after or during the initial dash, would cancel the transformation, so as to prevent unwanted ability cancellation without losing the mobility/evasion boost.

Her one would be reworked, of course. It could be called "Sword & Shield" and be an easy way of accessing her traditional metamorphosis buffs reliably. Her augment could be renamed to Trinity, and would turn her into the Dual Form and split off the other two aspects as Spectres. Her "active" side would pulsate gently with her energy colour, giving the armour and shield bonus if transforming from Night, and the damage and movement speed if transforming from Day. Swapping forms while this is active will cause the buff to switch and the opposite side to pulsate until the ability finally ends.

There are two ways to bypass the issue of ability effects simply ending on a roll:

1. Rework them to "translate" over to the other ability's effects, a simple numerical conversion formula. For example, having the full bonus from Provoke then switching forms would cause Peaceful Provocation's slowing aura from Peace to be fully charged.
  2.  Ability effects could enter into "stasis", being written to memory and then re-engaging when you switch back to that form. Of course, that also opens the door for each aspect to have its own energy and/or health pools if we really want to go that far.
Edited by Ardhanarishvara
Grammar + Clarification