Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Tenno’s Greatest Trailer Contest

[DE]Megan

On 11/20/2017 at 4:12 AM, HandOfTaurus said:

Ok, Here is mine. This is what Warframe is to me personally. Shooting, parkour, and blowing enemies away with powers.... while looking amazing the whole time.

I'd still love some feedback on my video. I didn't intend to make it a cinematic piece, I wanted it to be more gameplay focused because I want to see gameplay in a videogame ad but, I'm pretty new to the video side of design. How is it? How can it be better? I'd love to hear anything anyone has to say.

4 minutes ago, HandOfTaurus said:

I'd still love some feedback on my video. I didn't intend to make it a cinematic piece, I wanted it to be more gameplay focused because I want to see gameplay in a videogame ad but, I'm pretty new to the video side of design. How is it? How can it be better? I'd love to hear anything anyone has to say.

I thought we already gave feedback? It's cool.

13 minutes ago, HandOfTaurus said:

if i may, i understand why you wanted actual gameplay footage, but some shots became  a lil bit too shaky and/or twitchy when you do those quick midair aims like in 0:02 and such. it's actually why most video game demo-ers tend to use controllers and scripted events, so while still showing gameplay, doesn't feel as "crude" (which was why i personally used captura btw, it's still gameplay, just with better camera controls). another thing would be to use simpler powers like ember's or rhino's instead of ones like limbo's or a zoomed in soul punch, because it may or may not make sense to people who doesn't play the game.

Edited by (PS4)watt4hem
0.1x speed captura ftw! you can speed it up all you want afterwards in editting

2 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

if i may, i understand why you wanted actual gameplay footage, but some shots became  a lil bit too shaky and/or twitchy when you do those quick midair aims like in 0:02 and such. it's actually why most video game demo-ers tend to use controllers and scripted events, so while still showing gameplay, doesn't feel as "crude" (which was why i personally used captura btw, it's still gameplay, just with better camera controls). another thing would be to use simpler powers like ember's or rhino's instead of ones like limbo's or a zoomed in soul punch, because it may or may not make sense to people who doesn't play the game.

Awesome insight thank you!

20 minutes ago, Roshiu said:

@Brutal-Error

I loved your video, by far one of my favorites, you have some good mickey mousing going on!

If anyone has any thoughts on what I could potentially change in mine I will deeply appreciate it! https://youtu.be/-hDoKJkFOR8

I really liked yours dude! Idk if the ending frame is kosher with the rules. Its all open to interpretation but everyone is going with no logo and no text. Which sucks because mine had the logo in it which really made the end great, but just to be on the safe side, you might want to take the last frame with the text and logo out.

7 minutes ago, HandOfTaurus said:

I really liked yours dude! Idk if the ending frame is kosher with the rules. Its all open to interpretation but everyone is going with no logo and no text. Which sucks because mine had the logo in it which really made the end great, but just to be on the safe side, you might want to take the last frame with the text and logo out.

@HandOfTaurus Thank you for the feedback! In all honestly I feel like without a frame like that with the title, the video finishes kinda awkward.. I did have like 3 extra second set of video I could have instead, and I was debating what to do...

But you are most most likely right, I will probably end up just replacing the end frame either with a black screen so I can keep the audio at the end. Or just add 3 seconds to the beginning and cut the end on the last frame

Thank you :D

18 minutes ago, Roshiu said:

@HandOfTaurus Thank you for the feedback! In all honestly I feel like without a frame like that with the title, the video finishes kinda awkward.. I did have like 3 extra second set of video I could have instead, and I was debating what to do...

But you are most most likely right, I will probably end up just replacing the end frame either with a black screen so I can keep the audio at the end. Or just add 3 seconds to the beginning and cut the end on the last frame

Thank you :D

I agree with you, it does make the video feel incomplete without a logo. Kinda sucks and I wish DE would've clarified on the rules some.

6 minutes ago, HandOfTaurus said:

I agree with you, it does make the video feel incomplete without a logo. Kinda sucks and I wish DE would've clarified on the rules some.

@HandOfTaurus I’ll follow your suggestion tho.. my end screen is just two seconds long, so I can get away by simply cutting to black, I wonder if I can do that in YouTube to keep that link without te submitting to DE

TEXT AND LOGOS:

A good reason for not using text is to allow DE flexibility. Considering that you added text, DE won't be able to remove such text or change the language if they are broadcasting internationally (unless they obtain your raw footage and data). If they wanted to add text, they would after they declared who won. 

Some videos included the "DE" logo or branding. I really suggest that you do not do this as this may cause a misunderstanding. The video is not created by DE, and i don't think DE wants their audience to think that way either. Don't add the warframe logo at the end, it is very likely the DE will add it themselves. Use your 25 seconds wisely.

GENERAL ADVICE:

Content wise: This is a trailer, do you know what's a trailer's purpose? It is to peak an interest especially to new audience, not existing players. What do you think that means? That means adding random elements at random intervals isn't going to work. New audience won't understand certain elements of the game, and too much transition and elements are just going to cause confusion. Us players understand whats going on, but probably not someone who never seen warframe. Another advice is to reduce your usage of captura scene. I seen a lot of videos that emphasize too much on captura (or even only on captura). There were no enemies, no purpose. Warframe is a game, so show it. If all you are going to show is some angle shots of warframes, the audience would not grasp that this is a game (of ninjas). Imagine a movie trailer where all you get are still shots of the movie characters. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. (obviously, DE may not judge in this manner, but technically, a certain check list must be met to create a trailer) 

POLITICAL AND COMPETITION ARGUMENTS:

I have been reading on some people being pissed at DE for country restriction and the unfair nature of the competition. DE is not to be held responsible for your country laws, DE is a game developer company, not an international government. If you want to know why you are not included, do a google search or ask your governor. DE did not create the laws of your countries that prevent you from participating. That said, i applaud to the individuals who submitted their creation despite of their ineligibility @Ksaero and @Savat_94 (and many more).

As of the "unfair advantage" argument, no competition is ever fair. You don't see a non athletic individual competing in the olympics, nor do you see a humantarian major participating in a science and math competition. Not everyone will be able to participate, and thats because they can't qualify. But unlike the mentioned competition, DE  gave the equal opportunity for everyone to participate. And while obviously their are people who are richer and have more resources, what do you expect DE to do? Are they to ban professional and veterans of the game? Well, that would raise inequality. Here is an example, given the opportunity, do you prefer an inexperience chef to cook for your dinner, or a high ranking professional chef? We are talking about a trailer that will partially (if not wholly) represent DE's creation here. There is no such thing as fairness in a competition, there will always be someone who will be suited better. Saying that DE should make the competition fairer is an impossible task. Do your best with what you have. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nicosuwardi said:

TEXT AND LOGOS:

A good reason for not using text is to allow DE flexibility. Considering that you added text, DE won't be able to remove such text or change the language if they are broadcasting internationally (unless they obtain your raw footage and data). If they wanted to add text, they would after they declared who won. 

Some videos included the "DE" logo or branding. I really suggest that you do not do this as this may cause a misunderstanding. The video is not created by DE, and i don't think DE wants their audience to think that way either. Don't add the warframe logo at the end, it is very likely the DE will add it themselves. Use your 25 seconds wisely.

GENERAL ADVICE:

Content wise: This is a trailer, do you know what's a trailer's purpose? It is to peak an interest especially to new audience, not existing players. What do you think that means? That means adding random elements at random intervals isn't going to work. New audience won't understand certain elements of the game, and too much transition and elements are just going to cause confusion. Us players understand whats going on, but probably not someone who never seen warframe. Another advice is to reduce your usage of captura scene. I seen a lot of videos that emphasize too much on captura (or even only on captura). There were no enemies, no purpose. Warframe is a game, so show it. If all you are going to show is some angle shots of warframes, the audience would not grasp that this is a game (of ninjas). Imagine a movie trailer where all you get are still shots of the movie characters. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. (obviously, DE may not judge in this manner, but technically, a certain check list must be met to create a trailer) 

POLITICAL AND COMPETITION ARGUMENTS:

I have been reading on some people being pissed at DE for country restriction and the unfair nature of the competition. DE is not to be held responsible for your country laws, DE is a game developer company, not an international government. If you want to know why you are not included, do a google search or ask your governor. DE did not create the laws of your countries that prevent you from participating. That said, i applaud to the individuals who submitted their creation despite of their ineligibility @Ksaero and @Savat_94 (and many more).

As of the "unfair advantage" argument, no competition is ever fair. You don't see a non athletic individual competing in the olympics, nor do you see a humantarian major participating in a science and math competition. Not everyone will be able to participate, and thats because they can't qualify. But unlike the mentioned competition, DE  gave the equal opportunity for everyone to participate. And while obviously their are people who are richer and have more resources, what do you expect DE to do? Are they to ban professional and veterans of the game? Well, that would raise inequality. Here is an example, given the opportunity, do you prefer an inexperience chef to cook for your dinner, or a high ranking professional chef? We are talking about a trailer that will partially (if not wholly) represent DE's creation here. There is no such thing as fairness in a competition, there will always be someone who will be suited better. Saying that DE should make the competition fairer is an impossible task. Do your best with what you have. 

"Do your best with what you have"

Truth right here guys

Don't be discouraged by other entries! If you did your absolute best, then be satisfied!

14 minutes ago, NoirKane said:

"Do your best with what you have"

Truth right here guys

Don't be discouraged by other entries! If you did your absolute best, then be satisfied!

I will add from myself: Take your time and watch other game trailers under 30 seconds. Get the main idea, plan your work and try to be consistent with what you show. That, and above all, have fun! Competition on a side, if you trurly capture what fun you have doing this, the more likely people will enjoy it :)

Just to give you an example, that's a little fun I had some time ago (low quality, kind of messy, repeated scenes) - but it is fun. Stick to rules, read them again if you have to and good luck

Edited by Wawus