Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Tenno’s Greatest Trailer Contest

[DE]Megan

On 11/14/2017 at 4:56 AM, Brutal-Error said:

I will explain: If you tell someone how they should do their work, or edit in this case, you have to be able to show it. If you know so well how others should edit: show them. don't just bring empty words without meaning.

This is not how critiquing works. Movie critics aren't award-winning filmmakers and directors. Sports coaches aren't ex-pro players.

You don't have to be able to make good art to appreciate or critique others' work. And as an artist of any sort, you should learn to use critique of all kinds and build on your work, as long as they are valid, even if the person criticizing is trying to put you down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js-Sey said:

This is not how critiquing works. Movie critics aren't award-winning filmmakers and directors. Sports coaches aren't ex-pro players.

You don't have to be able to make good art to appreciate or critique others' work. And as an artist of any sort, you should learn to use critique of all kinds and build on your work, as long as they are valid, even if the person criticizing is trying to put you down.

You are right, but these people are paid for what they do, they have done long studies to do what they do, and they dohave the knoledge.... Noone should ever judge something they have no knowledge about, as they make themselves look like fools... Also that topic has been closed, and these were my last words regarding said topic

11 hours ago, Brutal-Error said:

Also I really felt like just quitting the contest when Steve pointed out they have already decided Porphi will win.

I'd like to ask where did you hear that. Cause I'm about to enter the contest, and if this information is valid, it is total BS.

That being said, this Porphi guy hasn't shown as of yet. Maybe he's waiting for the deadline so people don't "copy" his work or something?

Edited by UranusIsAwesome
Spelling

1 minute ago, UranusIsAwesome said:

I'd like to ask where did you hear that. Cause I'm about to enter the contest, and if this information is valid, it is total BS.

That being said, this Porphi guys hasn't shown as of yet. Maybe he's waiting for the deadline so people don't "copy" his work or something?

They said it on devstream 101 in the first 20 minutes or so it was mainly joking, but wouldnt suprise me if he does, when he enters

Maybe he isnt even of legal age yet... Who knows!

Edited by Brutal-Error
Had to add some info

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, [DE]Megan said:

Music can only be from Warframe's Offical Soundtrack.

ER.....

Does that mean I cant remix it? (like repeat a bar of notes or cut out a chunk of the track?)

kinda weird when the tune changes every 20s for each track

13 minutes ago, Brutal-Error said:

They said it on devstream 101 in the first 20 minutes or so

I just went to watch it and it turns out it wasn't Steve, but the guy sitting on the right side from Rebecca who said it (not that this matters, whoever said it expressed DE's opinion and the fact that nobody contradicted him or tried to explain things better says a lot too). And I get it, while this was a poor comment on his part, it just serves to show that they value and recognize his work. It could also mean that his videos are the reference for this contest, so instead of complaining we should watch his work to see what we're up against. At least is how I took that.

And yes, maybe the contest and the judges will not be so unbiased as we hope, but there's nothing to do about it. The guy might show up with a not-so-good-enough work and win, of course, but he could just do a wonderful job and win this (as apparently everyone is expecting him to do). Or he could just not enter at all.

Edited by UranusIsAwesome
Clarification
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, UranusIsAwesome said:

I just went to watch it and it turns out it wasn't Steve, but the guy sitting on the right side from Rebecca who said it (not that this matters, whoever said it expressed DE's opinion and the fact that nobody contradicted him or tried to explain things better says a lot too). And I get it, while this was a poor comment on his part, it just serves to show that they value and recognize his work. It could also mean that his videos are the reference for this contest, so instead of complaining we should watch his work to see what we're up against. At least is how I took that.

And yes, maybe the contest and the judges will not be so unbiased as we hope, but there's nothing to do about it. The guy might show up with a not-so-good-enough work and win, of course, but he could just do a wonderful job and win this (as apparently everyone is expecting him to do). Or he could just not enter at all.

That's it. It doesn't matter was has been said. I know I personally felt intimidated by Geoff's comment, but after all this is our community, and yes, Porphi is a part of it, so is you. Let's not debate over work that wasn't published, let's appreciate effort from all fellow Tenno and don't let the prize shatter our community here.

Enjoy creations, give each other hints and let's see what work we can all come up with. That is the core of this fanbase I think, that we always were able to help each other and keep toxic stuff away. That being said, I hope we won't carry on with this topic and let's go back to creating good stuff :)

[EDIT] In terms of how to come up with decent ideas, go now and check out trailers for Uncharted The Lost Legacy (30 sec spot) and Batman Arkham Knight (31 sec spot). That's a good place to start :)

Edited by Wawus

6 hours ago, nicosuwardi said:

TEXT AND LOGOS:

A good reason for not using text is to allow DE flexibility. Considering that you added text, DE won't be able to remove such text or change the language if they are broadcasting internationally (unless they obtain your raw footage and data). If they wanted to add text, they would after they declared who won. 

Some videos included the "DE" logo or branding. I really suggest that you do not do this as this may cause a misunderstanding. The video is not created by DE, and i don't think DE wants their audience to think that way either. Don't add the warframe logo at the end, it is very likely the DE will add it themselves. Use your 25 seconds wisely.

GENERAL ADVICE:

Content wise: This is a trailer, do you know what's a trailer's purpose? It is to peak an interest especially to new audience, not existing players.

POLITICAL AND COMPETITION ARGUMENTS:

I have been reading on some people being pissed at DE for country restriction and the unfair nature of the competition. DE is not to be held responsible for your country laws, DE is a game developer company, not an international government. If you want to know why you are not included, do a google search or ask your government.

As of the "unfair advantage" argument, no competition is ever fair. Do your best with what you have. 

You hit the nail right on the head there!

It can be assumed that the 25 second timelimit is to give DE 5 seconds of end cards to toss in, the lack of text and dialogue in your video also give DE the freedom for DE to supplement in any dialogue or text they please.

To add to the General Advice there are a few extra tips on crafting trailers that most entries could benefit from. I've seen some entries utilize visual-audio synchronization to match the actions and edits of the video to the beat of the audio and vice versa, that helps sell a trailer (see any recent movie or game trailer within the past couple of years), secondly, a trickier tip to master is to always be aware of where your audience's eyes are looking at and guiding those eyes where they need to go. If some action is happening in frame right, you don't want to suddenly cut to a shot with action in frame left.

Edited by mohawkade
Clarifiaction, More info, added link

16 minutes ago, Wawus said:

In terms of how to come up with decent ideas, go now and check out trailers for Uncharted The Lost Legacy (30 sec spot) and Batman Arkham Knight (31 sec spot). That's a good place to start :)

You're definitely right, my friend! Those are awesome examples of top-notch content.

And for people wondering about putting the Warframe logos, just forget about that. They wanted 25 sec so they can put their stuff later and make a 30 sec video from it.

9 minutes ago, junhwans said:

Can I mimic letterboxes in movies?

I'm wondering this as well. I'm about 95% complete with my short edit, but I'm not sure if the letterbox style aspect ratio is allowed either. I see that other's have done it for their entries, so I suppose so?

Edited by Vulsar
derp typo

1 minute ago, Vulsar said:

I'm wondering this as well. I'm about 95% complete with my short edit, but I'm not sure if the letterbox style aspect ratio is allowed either. I see that other's have done it for their entries, so I suppose so?

Just don't assume that others have done so that they read the rules correctly, best to keep the aspect ratio at 16:9

Here's mine. Just a humble trailer from a first-timer XD

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BYNuITE2UQ8" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Zcethiel