Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VirtualViolet

RE: Melee Channeling

Some of the new focus stuff (Zenurik) and Zaw arcanes seem to indicate that you guys want to get us using melee channeling. If this is the case, this is the wrong way of going about it. Channeling mods need to be fixed and/or made worthwhile first.

For instance, take Killing Blow versus Organ Shatter on the Dual Ether (for the sake of simplicity, since the Channeling and Critical Multipliers are both 1.5). Killing Blow at rank 2 is +60% Channeling Damage, Organ Shatter at rank 3 is +60% Critical Damage. So, same multipliers, same mod values, but not the same results (see images below):

Spoiler

92EZSvN.jpg?1

HlVGPZl.jpg?1

Killing Blow only gives a third of the bonus damage that (I think) it should, at least based on the way the numbers work for crits. If this is working as intended, then this inconsistent representation of the values needs to be addressed. At max rank, Killing Blow says +120% Channeling Damage, which sounds like a lot, but because of the way Channeling Damage is (currently) calculated, it's actually only +60% of the normal, non-channeled damage (or +40% of unmodified channeled damage), which - considering that you're draining 5 energy per strike and/or severely hindering your non-channeled damage by using mod slot(s) for channeled damage/efficiency - is not all that impressive.

This is before we even talk about the other Channeling mods, which give marginal boosts for (in most cases) extreme increases in energy cost. And you can forget about melee channeling altogether while energy draining eximus units are nearby, making modding for channeling even less appealing.

Please, DE, I love the idea of melee channeling, and that corpse-dissolving effect on kills is so satisfying*, but in its current state, it's useless for anything more than a temporary burst of damage, which is fine if that's what you're going for, but it's certainly not worth modding for.

*(EDIT) I have some fond memories (from years ago) of my energy-infused Dual Ether slicing through infested like white-hot knives through butter, vaporizing their corpses as I twirled. The aforementioned parasitic eximus units terrified me, though, and even more so the disrupting ancients and their constant magnetic procs. Then, as I became more experienced and got into higher-level content, I began to realize just how weak that build (and the weapon) actually was. :(

Melee Channeling is a microcosm of the flawed ideology in the game's core, the whole game is built on taking 2 steps backwards than 3 steps forward, to much of it is built on needlessly resource consumption, Channeling needs it's own resource or they need to add energy regen,

On 11/11/2017 at 2:30 AM, (Xbox One)THANOTOS OMEGA said:

Melee Channeling is a microcosm of the flawed ideology in the game's core, the whole game is built on taking 2 steps backwards than 3 steps forward, to much of it is built on needlessly resource consumption, Channeling needs it's own resource or they need to add energy regen,

I would like to see the energy system split in two: a smaller stamina-style bar that regenerates quickly, and the "classic" bar that regenerates slowly.

The smaller pool is used for stuff like Fireball, melee channeling, and special bonus mods for guns like instant reloads or extended magazines. Spending from the smaller pool generates energy for the larger pool.

Channeling mods need to be changed too, but the system would at least be inherently useful that way.

2 hours ago, DiabolusUrsus said:
On 11/11/2017 at 2:30 AM, (Xbox One)THANOTOS OMEGA said:

I would like to see the energy system split in two: a smaller stamina-style bar that regenerates quickly, and the "classic" bar that regenerates slowly.

The smaller pool is used for stuff like Fireball, melee channeling, and special bonus mods for guns like instant reloads or extended magazines. Spending from the smaller pool generates energy for the larger pool.

Channeling mods need to be changed too, but the system would at least be inherently useful that way.

You guys are on the right track in my opinion.

I'd have a secondary energy pool (based on the melee weapon) that get's refilled by a % of energy gains, we'll call it Zeal (maybe Moxie).For example (for the sake of consistancy and assuming it's supposed to be used as a burst in weapon damage):

Dual Ether:

Zeal pool size: 50
Zeal per 25 energy gained: 10
Base channeling Zeal use: 5 (standard)
Base channeling multiplier: 1.5x

Other changes:
Channeling Multiplier: (BCM-0.5)*(1+MB)+0.5                                          BCM: Base Channeling Multiplier                          MB: Mod Bonuses
(Currently Channeling Multiplier is (BCM-1)*(1+MB)+1)
(crit is: Base Crit*(1+ Mod Bonuses). But since crit is only a chance and channeling is a resourse cost is why I left it as it is above)

I would also like to state that current channeling mods are ineffective due to that fact that they all focus around being like corrupted mods (with the exception of Focus Energy and Dispatch Overdrive) and thus base stat changing mods end up far more effective, even for channeling. This limits the use of Channeling mods to be viable during modding. There is a need for more diversity in the use of mods for channeling.