Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Molten Atlas Rework

(PSN)TechSSBU

Its no secret that Atlas definitely needs love. He's not really weak, its just that all his abilities other than landslide are almost useless. So I was thinking about how you could change him. This was more for fun than anything but feel free to tell me what you think.

1. Landslide - This change is really just to fit the theme of this rework. Basically make it do the same amount of damage but split between impact and heat 60/40.

2. Tectonics - Replace with a lava geyser that spews lava on enemies igniting them and dealing heat damage. When it expires or is recast, it explodes with lava leaving a ground hazard that burns enemies that step in it. As it cools enemies still in the area are petrified. Petrified enemies take increased damage from Landslide.

3. Petrify - Changed to a wave much like Harrow's Condemn, petrifying enemies in a row.

4. Rumblers - The are now also effected by weapon mods, ranged attacks are based on the primary mods and melee are effected by melee mods. Their damage is also split 60/40 between impact and heat. Their deaths/expiration result in the same lava trap as the geyser.

This may not be practical but I figured it'd still be worth mentioning. I've always thought that it was weird that he didn't have anything to do with magma considering hes supposed to all bout earth not just rocks. This definitely could make him significantly more powerful and interesting to play without taking out what everyone already loves about his kit. I also thought about the possibility that the lava might be able to melt the armor of enemies reducing their defense for a short time. Feel free to leave feedback I'd be happy to hear what you guys think

" He's not really weak, its just that all his abilities other than landslide are almost useless. "

Wrong, just wrong. The only thing i can argue that he feels a lil squishy in high levels for what should be a rock hard tank.

As for his abilities:

1) can do tons of damage and gives a short invincibility frame

2) Can successfully block Consoles you have to defend, block narrow paths, block the Consoles for NPCs during Invasion with which they can tap a spot.

3) Dunno, never used it. Skip that one

4) With my main build a 101 seconds tank golem who does not die. Seriously, Goes up against lvl 120 grineer, punches them in the face and doesnt lose health (also draws fire)

Honestly I would rather the whole volcano/magma stuff come from synergies between Ember and Atlas rather than as an effect of Atlas proper, like casting Fireball on Tectonics heating it into molten rock that reflects heat damage onto enemies that attack it, then explodes, causing a blast proc when it expires, or otherwise causing a trail of fire as it rolls similar to Nezha's 1 if recast.

For Petrify, I would rather it be a duration buff that causes Atlas's attacks to slow enemies with each hit until they finally succumb to petrification.

27 minutes ago, Ardhanarishvara said:

Honestly I would rather the whole volcano/magma stuff come from synergies between Ember and Atlas rather than as an effect of Atlas proper, like casting Fireball on Tectonics heating it into molten rock that reflects heat damage onto enemies that attack it, then explodes, causing a blast proc when it expires, or otherwise causing a trail of fire as it rolls similar to Nezha's 1 if recast.

For Petrify, I would rather it be a duration buff that causes Atlas's attacks to slow enemies with each hit until they finally succumb to petrification.

... i... i never knew i needed these kinds of inter frame synergies till now

10 hours ago, ---Quill-Onkko--- said:

... i... i never knew i needed these kinds of inter frame synergies till now

That will never happen. Enforces the idea of a specific group of frames being the "best" and entrenches a dev supported/endorsed meta into the game.

14 hours ago, MistressMoonpaw said:

4) With my main build a 101 seconds tank golem who does not die. Seriously, Goes up against lvl 120 grineer, punches them in the face and doesnt lose health (also draws fire)

Regardless of how long they last they really arent that helpful. They don't have aggro priority and they dont really do any damage at high levels. So punching grineer in the face, while funny, isnt all that helpful. I also dont see the squishy thing if you build him as a tank with lifestrike on the melee weapon. Like i said hes not weak I just think hed be more fun if all his abilities were slightly more useful. 

12 hours ago, chaotea said:

Really good for support. You stop them, others make the kill.

Maybe if it was an instant petrify but it takes time, plus considering that condemn does the same thing instantly and also restores harrows shields this ability is definitely lacking.

15 hours ago, MistressMoonpaw said:

" He's not really weak, its just that all his abilities other than landslide are almost useless. "

Wrong, just wrong. The only thing i can argue that he feels a lil squishy in high levels for what should be a rock hard tank.

You're both right. 

1 is beyond incredible.

2 is mediocre. Recast is not worth the animation time. 

3 is useless.

4 is useless. 

His 1 is the only reason he's usable. Sometimes his 2 is useful when you need a wall for just a few seconds, like to revive someone or hack a console. Enemies walk around it and you're generally are surrounded by enemies so it doesn't stop them all. 

Vitality + Quick Thinking + Rage + Primed Flow has removed his squishy problems at high levels. Unfortunately, that's the only way they've been removed. The rest of the slots can go towards whatever. I don't think that it's ideal for a Warframe to require all that but at the same time I feel it's ok. Considering how strong he is, it's an ok drawback. But it definitely does limit build variety, not the he has any even if he had some freed up slots (his real issue). 

14 hours ago, chaotea said:

Really good for support. You stop them, others make the kill.

I've tried what you're saying many times and end up dead. Read what I wrote about his wall. Same issue. Also, it's not instant. And most importantly, why CC what's in front of you when you can go invulnerable and just kill it with landslide? Landslide is more effective at what Petrify is for than Petrify is. 

15 hours ago, (PS4)SMTechn9cian said:

1. Landslide - This change is really just to fit the theme of this rework. Basically make it do the same amount of damage but split between impact and heat 60/40.

2. Tectonics - Replace with a lava geyser that spews lava on enemies igniting them and dealing heat damage. When it expires or is recast, it explodes with lava leaving a ground hazard that burns enemies that step in it. As it cools enemies still in the area are petrified. Petrified enemies take increased damage from Landslide.

3. Petrify - Changed to a wave much like Harrow's Condemn, petrifying enemies in a row.

4. Rumblers - The are now also effected by weapon mods, ranged attacks are based on the primary mods and melee are effected by melee mods. Their damage is also split 60/40 between impact and heat. Their deaths/expiration result in the same lava trap as the geyser.

The fire theme is cool. Doubt they'd even consider applying it to Atlas because it'd change his current theme. They could make a magma based warframe though. 

Tectonics: Doesn't make sense that it petrifies people.

Petrify: This would be good if it wasn't called Petrify, covering people in magma. Also, Atlas really needs Petrify to not be a cone to make it so that Landslide is no longer the better choice. 

My last critique, every warframe sounds way cooler when their abilities are turned into magma. Imagine if hydroid was lava based:

Rains Brimstone from the skies.

Turns into a surging wave of lava.

Transforms into a pool of liquid hot magma, pulling people in.

Summons a fire kraken! 

I think you should make a volcanic/magma/lava based warframe. 

Edited by MuscleBeach

1 hour ago, (PS4)SMTechn9cian said:

Maybe if it was an instant petrify but it takes time, plus considering that condemn does the same thing instantly and also restores harrows shields this ability is definitely lacking.

That and Path of Statues petrifies things better anyway.

Really instead of changing atlas we should focus on making his powers better but not OP.

-Landslide- is fine since it has dual scaling but i wish it had full IPS instead of just I. Maybe allow the element on the melee weapon to apply to it?

-Tectonics- could instead act like Vitrify and grow wider as he channels it? Instead of turning into a boulder on recast he instead knocks it down turning the wall into a spike strip that stabs and slows mobs. Range mods affect its height and width of both wall and spike strips.

-Petrify- instead of a cone that slowly stones mobs we change it to an immediate aoe. Gorgons werent feared because they slowly stoned people but because simply seeing the cursed light from there eyes was an almost immediate death sentence. 

Have him lean backwards and open his visor and let the energy spark and inflict a stone status on anything in that small vicinity, they will be slowed over the course of 4 seconds and on the 5th they turn to stone for X seconds.

Allow duration mods to affect how fast they get stoned at the cost of how long they stay stoned so negative duration = near instant stone but the time they are petrified is lowered to like 5 seconds?

-Titan- really Atlas himself should become the rock titan with boosted strength and durability but thats in the conclave soooooo

Atlas instead SUMMONS 1 ginormous stationary Titan that has the body of Atlas from the waste up. It cannot move but it has large weighty swings, can toss boulders and has a huge amount of hp and armor. 

Every X seconds it roars and forces aggro gain of +130% of every party member nearby to itself.

Upon death it will explode firing Stalagmites in a 360 degree range for low damage but guaranteed puncture + slight stun.

To balance it its duration is relatively short and needs full specialization to make it last a long time.

To balance it vs nullifiers have it spawn 2 rock nodes that a nully must touch to force a de summon.

Edited by (PS4)psycofang

3 hours ago, peterc3 said:

That will never happen. Enforces the idea of a specific group of frames being the "best" and entrenches a dev supported/endorsed meta into the game.

Not necessarily. I mean we've already got that. Trinity + Chroma + cc + cc + 4x Corrosive Projection tends to be meta because of how simple yet powerful it is. If/when Chroma's 3 gets nerfed, there might be a bit more interchangeability between him and Mirage, but aside from that it's doubtful.

There's already certain synergies that exist. Oberon can supercharge most abilities that scale off armour, or Mag and Oberon can one-shot Raptor at Sortie 3 level via Magnetize + Smite, list goes on.

Inter-frame synergies could add more diversity to team-play. Whether it changes meta would depend entirely on how the changes are handled and the demands of the content inherent. Most of the time I would say that such synergies would boil down more to "a nice bonus". Like, for example, maybe Mag could cast Magnetize on Rhino's Iron Skin, causing it to absorb damage taken to replenish it again with a small bullet attractor, or Frost could supercool Rhino's Iron Skin with his 1 so that when it runs out, there's an aoe cold proc, and during this time Rhino essentially gets a cold proc variation of Nezha's 1. Maybe Saryn casts Spore on Oberon's Hallowed Ground, causing it to become diseased, inflicting both radiation and viral procs.

23 hours ago, Ardhanarishvara said:

Not necessarily. I mean we've already got that. Trinity + Chroma + cc + cc + 4x Corrosive Projection tends to be meta because of how simple yet powerful it is. If/when Chroma's 3 gets nerfed, there might be a bit more interchangeability between him and Mirage, but aside from that it's doubtful.

There's already certain synergies that exist. Oberon can supercharge most abilities that scale off armour, or Mag and Oberon can one-shot Raptor at Sortie 3 level via Magnetize + Smite, list goes on.

Inter-frame synergies could add more diversity to team-play. Whether it changes meta would depend entirely on how the changes are handled and the demands of the content inherent. Most of the time I would say that such synergies would boil down more to "a nice bonus". Like, for example, maybe Mag could cast Magnetize on Rhino's Iron Skin, causing it to absorb damage taken to replenish it again with a small bullet attractor, or Frost could supercool Rhino's Iron Skin with his 1 so that when it runs out, there's an aoe cold proc, and during this time Rhino essentially gets a cold proc variation of Nezha's 1. Maybe Saryn casts Spore on Oberon's Hallowed Ground, causing it to become diseased, inflicting both radiation and viral procs.

I dont think that its an impossibility to have synergies between frames but they would have to make all frames synergize with at least one other frame otherwise the community would go nuts.

6 hours ago, (PS4)SMTechn9cian said:

I dont think that its an impossibility to have synergies between frames but they would have to make all frames synergize with at least one other frame otherwise the community would go nuts.

That's like saying they've got to make all frames and all abilities have augments. It doesn't need to be an immediate change of all 'frames ever.