Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there a way to make Mag truly OP again?

METAHUMVN

Hey guys so I'm kinda in a predicament. 

I love that new skin that came out for Mag that basically turns into all gold, making her easily one of the best looking frames out there IMHO. But I heard she sucks. In fact, I've played her. I ranked up to max recently and tried out a lot of different builds and such, but I can't seem to find one that feels umph, if you get what I mean. Does anyone have any builds/augments that you can suggest? I really want to play Mag because of that new skin but I need to have a logical reason. 

P.S. Don't go calling me a moron, Mag mains. I'm just being honest here, because I currently don't see any way for Mag to outperform any other Warframe in any scenario. But I feel like I'm overlooking something. Help me brainstorm. 

2 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Can you post the builds you've already tried, so we don't suggest something you've already done?

For sure. Since you're the first person to respond (and how appropriate, btw) I will just post them here. 

1. Max range: This is the classic stretch + overextended build. I was able to bring power strength back up to 120% or so with transient fortitude, so I was dealing around 1000 or so dmg per crush. 

2. Max strength: This is the classic blind range + transient fortitude + power drift build. I think it was doing somethiing like 3000 dmg per crush, but it still didn't feel like enough. 

3. Max everything: This overall balanced build that focused primarily on efficiency was created so I could just spam the abilities over and over and over. It didn't really get much done, tbh. 

I guess the main issue really is this: I don't think I know how to play Mag. I've seen all these metaplayers using Mag's magnetize power to nuke entire platoons of enemies by trapping them inside the bubble. I've also seen "armor stripping" Mag that uses the crush augment to strip armor. 

Personally, I would like a build that allows me to do something that really helps teammates, esp in high level content. Perhaps something like shield-boosting + armor stripping + CC (which I know Mag can do). But I just don't know how to build her for that. 

If you mean P4TW or Perma-invisibility kind of OP, Mag is not this kind of frame. I'm not saying she is bad she can hardly reach OP level.

Currently I'm running little bit in everything, moderate strength, moderate range, moderate duration and max efficiency, and a Redirection. I'm trying to make use of every of her abilities. Natural Talent is almost a must on her for me coz all her casting animations are long and slow and basically suicide to use in high level.

Magnetize and Pull should be your most frequently used abilities, Polarize is good for low level but it scales too badly for lvl 30+, Crush is a suicidal ability without Natural Talent (I wonder why DE decided to keep the casting speed when reworking her that's stupid).

Edited by Marvelous_A

3 minutes ago, UF-1215 said:

1. Max range: This is the classic stretch + overextended build. I was able to bring power strength back up to 120% or so with transient fortitude, so I was dealing around 1000 or so dmg per crush. 

Overkill. You really don't need that for any of your abilities.

3 minutes ago, UF-1215 said:

2. Max strength: This is the classic blind range + transient fortitude + power drift build. I think it was doing somethiing like 3000 dmg per crush, but it still didn't feel like enough. 

Pocket Trinity/Suicidal Build. I am also starting to notice part of the issue.

4 minutes ago, UF-1215 said:

3. Max everything: This overall balanced build that focused primarily on efficiency was created so I could just spam the abilities over and over and over. It didn't really get much done, tbh. 

Suspicion confirmed.

What is your rotation, OP?

I don't mag a lot, but personally I run a build with emphasis on strength and range, with negative duration. Basically i tread her 2 like making enemies into bombs, rather than black holes. Survivability is still an issue, especially once I start running into nullies.

I use her for OP area denial with magnetize

duration + strength

4 minutes ago, Rociel said:

I don't mag a lot, but personally I run a build with emphasis on strength and range, with negative duration. Basically i tread her 2 like making enemies into bombs, rather than black holes. Survivability is still an issue, especially once I start running into nullies.

this sounds interesting. gonna try that

On 14/11/2017 at 7:47 PM, UF-1215 said:

Hey guys so I'm kinda in a predicament. 

I love that new skin that came out for Mag that basically turns into all gold, making her easily one of the best looking frames out there IMHO. But I heard she sucks. In fact, I've played her. I ranked up to max recently and tried out a lot of different builds and such, but I can't seem to find one that feels umph, if you get what I mean. Does anyone have any builds/augments that you can suggest? I really want to play Mag because of that new skin but I need to have a logical reason. 

P.S. Don't go calling me a moron, Mag mains. I'm just being honest here, because I currently don't see any way for Mag to outperform any other Warframe in any scenario. But I feel like I'm overlooking something. Help me brainstorm. 

This is how I make my Mag, I feel She is pretty powerful, Your 2 and 4 are your main weapons, but always try and use her 3 as well, You can CC a large area and also hide in your Magnetise bubbles if there is some serious fire coming at you. Boar is just what I like to use on this buld as I spread my Prime Weapons around, so choose what you like as a Primary, Shotguns are awesome for the Magnetise bubbles though.

Spoiler

20171114214207_1_by_carnage2k4-dbtptlz.j20171114214222_1_by_carnage2k4-dbtptm1.j

Edited by Carnage2K4

I play a lot with magnetiz discharge, realy great augment mod, you can stop quickly the bubble to make damage,  or in  team play with people than don't know how work magnetize. 

The disarme effect is realy great too, I play 2 build, one with full range, and one with 200% power strengh to have 100% disarme.

And one of the great point of mag is that the 3 first powers can be use while reloding.

I have never met press 3 to win Mag since I’m newish. But I know what that feels like while playing Saryn (bought her with plat and played her early). Feels OP to instantly melt people and tbh quite jarring in game. 

LifeofRio from YouTube is so far the most skillful Mag I’ve seen. He has a Mag guide and a Mag rant video that I think will crush the doubts and misconceptions about her being viable since her rework. 

OP? I don’t think so. That’s on the means and skill of the player. No more press polarize to win if that’s what you’re looking to bring back.

Now there’s positioning, maneuvering, magnetize weapons, situational awareness- Rio brings it all to his Mag and I was highly impressed. 

I am hesitant to ask for buffs after seeing his Mag’s potential, but even in other games they do buff heroes when not all can reach such high skill ceilings.

Here we have modding though, which makes me think her rework was ultimately for the better if players have to mod and learn her mechanics instead of cheesing 299% polarize. 

TLDR look up the topic “Mag mains unite”, on page 10 there are links to what you need to awaken your Tenno to Mag 

Edited by (PS4)Chel-El

Rio is horrible with Mag, don't bother. Go 130% duration and efficiency, 235% range, 135% strength with Energy Siphon, NOT CP cause of the way her 3 works, and Quick Thinking cause she needs it. 3 is your bread and butter, it will strip armor far better than you'd think with only 135% strength and out kill embers easily on lower level stuff. If it isn't dead or armor stripped after 3, like a Nox or Heavy Gunner, 2, you only need one, light it up and laugh. Surrounded? 4. Drops everything to the ground, and if you hit 3 before, it will probably clean up anything that's left too. Arctic Eximus/ Nulii giving you trouble? Pull them out of the bubble with 1, or pull the shield generator off of their nulli bubble. You can also launch grineer off the dropships on the plains, which is great fun. Like skeet shooting with a  plasmor.

Now, thing to be aware of tho, Mag is NOT for new players. Her energy pool is only 420ish with Primed Flow, which means you wont have enough to get Quick Thinking to trigger off some bigger attacks and you just flat out die sometimes. You need to have an understanding of cover, area awareness and familiarity with the roll button, cause she's even more of a glass cannon than Nova. But these idiots saying shes bad have no idea what they're talking about. If Ember is good then Mag is phenomenal as a properly built Mag will leave the rest of the team in the dust damage wise. "But she doesn't deal much, buhhh!" Yeah, 500 damage might not seem like much but when its being dealt to 30+ enemies at a time in a maxed MPrime area, it adds up quick.

Edited by Hyohakusha
edit

Not every frame is designed to outperform other frames in any particular regard. There are too many frames, and too few mechanics in the game for everyone to be the best at something. 

Some frames are just moderately proficient in various areas to make them well rounded, like Oberon. Mag could use an "Oberon" rework for sure, but she's not useless in her current state. 

@hyohakusha 

Yeah I agree with rolling, I overused it with my first boss encounters Vor and that Corpus quadruped. I noticed it fills shields unlike vacuum bullet jumping. Wiki also says rolling takes 75% dmg off for survivability. Now I’m unlearning excess bulleting in exchange for rolling thanks to Rio’s footage. 

What’s wrong with Rio? His Mag moves so precisely, he rolls in and out of danger, does cool aerial casts, even his jump landings are intentional, using side roll or back springs 

I find him so entertaining and educational. The videos speak for themselves though so I take people’s opinions of him with a grain of salt. Sometimes I even watch him on mute to learn Mag maneuvers  

Edited by (PS4)Chel-El