Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban - Elite Grenadier

o.0-

Vauban is in my top 5 favorite frames, and I've gone back recently to using him in more content, such as PoE.

Naturally, as I continue to use the Warframe, I got to wondering, what if using his different Grenades would be more intuitive and spread out, between his abilities, and make use of tap and hold in a way that all grenade types are readily available, once fully unlocked?

And since he is basically tossing with the same animation, what if the devs give Vauban a Grenadier themed Passive and consider new animations (which can be derived from existing animations)?  To me, a Grenadier theme works as they were the ones often tasked in sieges and for different periods the primary user of grenades on the battlefield.

Here's the ideas for grouping the grenades up:

1. Grenades - (Tesla & Shred)
    • These could be matching other 1st damaging abilities so options menu would be available to swap how each is accessible, Tesla would be the default state as it relates to swapping tap/hold.
    • As a result, Tesla could see a slight boost in dealing damage, such as dealing damage more often and/or damaging more than one enemy at a time and/or chain more often.
  2. Mines - (Trip Laser & Concuss)
    • As these are Crowd Control that affect enemies when on the ground, these felt like they could stay grouped together.
    • Trip Laser would be the default like Tesla as it relates to swapping tap/hold.
  3. Barricades - (Bastille & Repel [Bounce pad])
    • As these can block enemies, but still may allow fire to pass through (and Gara has a different set of a similar ability), figured that these could work together on the tap/hold grouping and again with Bastille being the default state for when tap/hold could be swapped.
    • As the difference is 25 energy, if Bounce, now labeled Repel could gain more base bounce chances at 75 energy.
  4. Vortex
    • I assume little would change with Vauban's forth at this time.

Passive -  Grenadier thrown objects (including weapons) have increased distance, velocity, accuracy and precision. So not only are his ability grenades able to fly faster, so could thrown primaries, secondaries and melee.

As for animations and the fact that Vauban is able to fall faster and farther than the grenades, some tweaks and adjustments should be considered. Now nothing needs to be as extravagant as something like this:

O8TQ44g.gif

But say having one or two different throwing animations would be nice.

Let me know what you think?

• 2 months later...

....i'd be down for this. Vauban is one of my favorite defense frames(he makes his mark well here...not as good as frost, but good enough.) and i play him like an effing mastermind, placing nades everywhere at choke points.

he's really an intuitive frame that requires you to think ahead before engaging.

Hmm, got to thinking about Bounce again, and feel that for it to work on allies, we need to activate it to remove the chance for trolling with them, or have it work like Titania's passive and simply grant a boost to allies that pass through the field.

I love these ideas and they make a lot more sense to me this way. 

1. Debuffers 

2. Crowd Control

3. Defensive

4. ??

I think you get what I meant in my other post though. Having so many abilities that do too many of the same things make them redundant as shown with the 4th ability. 

Also an issue I have with the abilities is that they require duration, range, and power strength to be effective. A lot of each and they compete way too much. This would leave me with negative efficiency most definitely and for a career frame that's kinda bad. Of course I could Hunter adrenaline cheese so it means nothing to me but for other players that's terrible way to set up a frame.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

I love these ideas and they make a lot more sense to me this way. 

1. Debuffers 

2. Crowd Control

3. Defensive

4. ??

I think you get what I meant in my other post though. Having so many abilities that do too many of the same things make them redundant as shown with the 4th ability. 

Also an issue I have with the abilities is that they require duration, range, and power strength to be effective. A lot of each and they compete way too much. This would leave me with negative efficiency most definitely and for a career frame that's kinda bad. Of course I could Hunter adrenaline cheese so it means nothing to me but for other players that's terrible way to set up a frame.

The way I was thinking was in how enemies could relate to the abilities is, having the right tool for the right job, as the different traps could respond differently with enemies in the future (which would then mean work on enemies), so that a player that notices, can respond with the right counters.

For example, a slow moving and heavy Napalm would be very susceptible to completely falling over on its face, where a Butcher or Charger would simply be slowed and stagger through the same Trip Wire.

And one fun combo is toss a Vortex and fire a weapon like the Supra, or as others do a Launcher weapon, into the mass of enemies.

As for what is needed for the different abilities, what I've done is simply focus on Efficiency, keeping ~100% Duration, and being able to cast multiple traps on demand, which currently tends to mostly be Bastille or Vortex, as those can help group enemies, like if you need room to revive a teammate.

And if the abilities do get regrouped in a different fashion, it then could be possible to also tweak various factors as necessary, where for me the number one thing is the slow velocity on the grenades in the first place, where Vauban can bullet jump faster than they move when thrown.

Worst example ever but trip wire kinda sucks. I think it would be more effective like this but this is just my opinion. I'm sure there's some people like how it functions now so I wouldn't suggest changing it for this. However this is more of what I expected rather than what we have.

s1600

But to get back to your point, I don't see the efficiency in casting Bastille then Vortex when you can easily just cat Vortex for the same effect. 

Trip mine also seems rather pointless when you can also just gather enemies with Vortex again.

Edited by (PS4)RenovaKunumaru

Just now, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

See my point? They all do the same thing.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking that in the future different enemies could be susceptible to certain traps and not others.

Like staying with the Napalm, against a Trip Wire, it will always fall over, a Bounce pad, on the other hand only slows it down, as it's increased mass and density allow it to keep momentum. Then Bastille would be able to ensnare it better than Vortex can ragdoll Napalms also as a result of their mass and density.

That is of course if the devs take the time to create more nuances and if it can work, as I'm aware that enemies even have stats for how punch through works on them, for example and is not used to much beyond Shield Lancers and a binary does the projectile continue through the enemy or not. Like AFAIK, a the 2.1 value is actually overkill for how the game currently handles that particular value.

Otherwise, I'd have no problem in simply applying the KISS principle here and simply reduce down the abilities to focus on different base elements as Vauban is intended to work.

1 minute ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

Yeah, that's why I was thinking that in the future different enemies could be susceptible to certain traps and not others.

Like staying with the Napalm, against a Trip Wire, it will always fall over, a Bounce pad, on the other hand only slows it down, as it's increased mass and density allow it to keep momentum. Then Bastille would be able to ensnare it better than Vortex can ragdoll Napalms also as a result of their mass and density.

That is of course if the devs take the time to create more nuances and if it can work, as I'm aware that enemies even have stats for how punch through works on them, for example and is not used to much beyond Shield Lancers and a binary does the projectile continue through the enemy or not. Like AFAIK, a the 2.1 value is actually overkill for how the game currently handles that particular value.

Otherwise, I'd have no problem in simply applying the KISS principle here and simply reduce down the abilities to focus on different base elements as Vauban is intended to work.

Ok, allow me to use myself as an example then. 

If I knew that one skill would only work on a specific type of enemy type within a faction, I would ignore all risk and simply not use trip mine. 

Vortex and Bastille would easily pick up all enemies regardless.