Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scythes

-S-O--Sephiroth-Crescent

The community has wanted larger scythes for quite some time and then we got... the Infested Zaw "scythe". The smallest scythe to date. Even smaller than a Kama. If we could get a Kaszas sized scythe except for regular modes then that'd be sweet.

Not all scythes were using that overextended blade. Many actually had blades that were around 3 feet long, if memory serves, and were used to harvest wheat/cut grass of fields sort of like a lawnmower or weedwhacker. If you wanted to have a "real" scythe, all the ones in this game and many games are actually missing the horizontal handle that was used to act as a balance and leverage point.

https://imgur.com/a/wqy6f

imgur link is of traditional english and austrian scythes. None of those have a blade longer than 3 feet, which is roughly 1 meter.

Most of the scythe weapons in game match up visually to the rough estimate of this 1 meter standard.

17 minutes ago, Donquixote-Doflamingo said:

@Xaelroa not the BLADE lenght the STAFF lenght is the MAIN problem here because what  you  linked is not a handle that is under 1m long most of them are even around 2m long as it seems

You know that zaws are customizable right? want a bigger staff? give it a bigger staff. (although it would probably be considered a polearm them)

2 minutes ago, Dwolfknight said:

You know that zaws are customizable right? want a bigger staff? give it a bigger staff. (although it would probably be considered a polearm then)

That's very much part of the issue. The short handles are what make it a "scythe".

Just now, Dwolfknight said:

You know that zaws are customizable right? want a bigger staff? give it a bigger staff. (although it would probably be considered a polearm them)

There is only one Zaw grip which allows the final product to become a scythe and that grip is tiny.

vor 1 Minute schrieb rapt0rman:

You seem to have confused something, I'm stating a fact about the Infested zaw scythe in particular, I don't actually think scythes should be short.

Ah okay^^ yeah the "Infested Scythe" but also ALL other should be not 1 handed but 2 handed weapons  and be more like heavy blades <.< 

The way the game name Scythes when they are suppose to be sickles is kind of strange enough.

This is called a Scythe

This is called a Sickle

I suppose if the handle is around the length of a Bo, and the blade about the size of a Skana, that can be called a Scythe
in terms of scale and proportion to the warframe.

It is rough estimation that a Nikana is 1 meter / 39 inches / 3' 3'' long,
which is the typical length of a Katana Blade is around 2.5 Shaku (Japanese unit of feet) or ~75cm
and with a 3:1 Blade:Handle length proportion the handle will be 25cm long making it overall 1 meter in length.

thus a Skana being slightly shorter will be around 90cm / 36 inches / 3 feet / 1 yard

A Bo is roughly 6 feet / 72 inches/ 180cm long , or a quarter staff's length. 

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

I would love to see either a complete rehaul of scythes or the ability to change them using different stances like the split dark sword. Have the normal stances and what not, but then give them the ability to use a heavy blade stance. When using a heavy blade stance, their model grows to be more like a "great scythe" that players want along with some minor stat changes like increase in range.

Look at how bad machetes were at one point, then one new stance was introduced and they vastly improved. Just a better stance would be a good start.

i completely agree with this, the two-handed grip + keewar strike should produce a scythe, while the keewar on a one-handed grip should make it a machete/scickle. as it is the "scythe" looks terrible with scythe animations, and in general doesn't fit the weapon category.

also i'd like to point out that ALL scythes are too small. all but the kaszas, which is about the size a regular scythe should be. they really could extend the handle on every scythe and make their blades bigger. it wouldn't even look bad with the current stances, heck i think it'd look better.

Edited by phazefox