Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Tutorials

Fractalisomega

So you've finally done it... you've gotten that new frame that you've wanted to try out... but... you have no idea what to do with any of it's abilities....

Too bad there isn't anyone to teach you the basics...

~~~~~

There doesn't have to be.... instead you could have a tutorial on how to basically use your warframe's abilities. 

Custom Tutorials for each warframe would remove so much confusion...

Tutorial basics:

A rank 30 warframe (used only in the tutorial mission)

Multiple Energy and HP spawners around the map

Custom maps and enemies with immunity to weapons/knockback/etc EXCEPT for the instructed abilities (example... 5 Grineer clones immune to weapon fire but with a 9999% damage weakness to a certain ability)

Lotus giving advice and tips on how to complete each of the map challenges

~~~~~

Maps would be different for each frame but identical for Primes and normal variants. There is only one map for each frame.... not a separate one for the normal and the Prime ones.

The map "world" would have the appearance of the Mastery Rank tests rather than a certain planet.

22 hours ago, Imaru said:

This might be what you're looking for.

DE has a Warframe Profile video explaining abilities and mechanics for each and every Warframe on their YouTube channel. 

There is a difference between watching the game and playing and doing it yourself...

15 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Downside to those; they don't get updated.  I just checked the Mag one, it still has Shield Polarize and Bullet Attractor.  :/

eyup....

The idea is really nice but I don't think that it will be in the game. There are 2 reasons why I think so:

1st is that it's LOTS of work to make a tutorial for every single warframe and it isn't necessary. 

2nd is that players usually find new ways to use abilities - devs already shown most of tricks that they suppose to be used. You can find it in warframe profile videos as @Imaru said. Everything else you should discover using other sources. So the best way to learn all about warframe will always be wiki, YouTube and your own experience.

Edited by Svygor

Ability Descriptions could be massively improved and more clear, A tutorial would basically be simulacrum with some extra tweaks to make it practical to test abilities, and at least show their intended basic use. There's lots of abilities that just are unclear until you wiki them. We have the codex so that the game can be more self-explanitory, it just doesn't do a good job of that and takes way too long to deal with. They put lots into that creating an ability tutorial simulacrum style wouldn't be too difficult. The current tutorials are also walls of text, except the Mandatory first unrepeatable mission and the synthesis scanner tutorial. The synthesis scanner tutorial is in depth and explains more than it needs to, is longer than it needs to be. Just find a balance between the text wall, synthesis, and simulacrum. It's mostly testing work not much programming. And devs making clear descriptions. Devs are more likely not to because it would mean they have to commit to being specific and clear about abilities which makes them have to be more accountable to player reactions when they release something that's not designed well so they can't get away with leaving things poorly implemented.

At the very least some more ability info could be made available.

DE's Profile videos are also moreso flavour text than ability breakdowns.

New idea!

DESteve and DEScott, on DevStream 101, said that they're looking into major, and really interesting updates to the Dojo system. Why not a Training Room? Basically it's the Simulacrum, but with fixed testing dummies, where you have the ability to pick your Warframe and test the abilities out.

Want to test damage? Have a kind of firing range that constantly respawns any single enemy with no AI, just a practice dummy with the properties of that enemy, up to level... 30? Not the kind of levels you can reach in the Simulacrum, just something to show that the damage is different at Star Chart levels.

Want to test invisibility or crowd control mechanics? Have a pit full of enemies and cover of a given faction (say it always contains two chargers, two heavies, three basic ranged and a special unit) who can only see you if you're in the pit and have 99.9% damage reduction on their weapons/abilities. This is where you can test things like Radial Disarm, Noise Arrow, Hallowed Ground and so on. Put a button on the outside that manually sets their alert states to 'aware', 'alert' or resets them to 'unaware'.

Want to test mobility? Combine in a bit of the Obstacle Course functions in so there are areas that simulate narrow corridors, high platforms, climbable walls or parkour/ability-reachable ledges.

How about defense? Have a corridor that's the opposite of the firing rage, where an enemy is placed at the end, of your choice, that can't walk up to you, and you may test damage reduction abilities at up to level 30 with any ranged enemy type, switch between things like a Bombard, Napalm, Gunner, Corpus Tech, Lancer, Crewman, Moa and so on.

Basically think of Overwatch's testing grounds, but with more functions designed for Warframes. Make that room part of the Dojo and you can even have more experienced clan members join you there and show you interactions that they found work too.

On 18/11/2017 at 8:46 AM, MagPrime said:

Downside to those; they don't get updated.  I just checked the Mag one, it still has Shield Polarize and Bullet Attractor.  :/

It's not that they don't get updates, it just sometimes takes a while for them to do it (see Limbo, for instance)

3 hours ago, MagPrime said:

I doubt it's priority for them, all things considered. 

Back when I started playing TF2 I learned of the term they called "Valve Time".....

original.jpg

18 hours ago, Sasuda said:

The synthesis scanner tutorial is in depth and explains more than it needs to, is longer than it needs to be. Just find a balance between the text wall, synthesis, and simulacrum.

I do agree that the tutorial was a tad... "long" I wouldn't say that it was bad... my main complaint was that the Map for that was so large... you only needed a single room.....

However it did clear up any possible confusion I would have had...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still maintain that a tutorial with all abilities unlocked and a simple guide telling you to handle each set of enemies/obstacle with each of your abilities would be useful...

FFS remember the first time you got Vauban? Very confusing...

Edited by Fractalisomega